Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favorite Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am trying to decide on resorts to visit as have started skiing this year and am hooked. So I was hoping that people may kindly post their favorite resports and why? then I can think about where I may like to go next as brochures don't always tell you what you would like to know.

Thx snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alta. Loads of powder, little to non-existent lift lines, no language difficulties, good skiing for all abilities, friendly people, no boarders...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, this is so tempting...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Seignus: Quiet slopes and lifts, great value, and lovely people and a lovely atmoshpere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Leaving aside the obvious, of the resorts I've been to for more than a day - Soldeu, Nendaz (4V Switzerland), Les Deux Alpes and Risoul the only one I wouldn't recommend is Risoul. This is only because we went early season and there was no snow.

Soldeu I would recommend for beginners (loads of native English speaking instructors) and because (then) it was cheap. It was my first proper week skiing but there weren't many pistes that I hadn't been down by the end of it. The area has since been linked to a neighbouring resort so it's a fair size now. The nightlife was good but not too raucous. Most of the accomodation seemed to be close to the main lifts although the queues in the morning were fairly long.

Nendaz for cheaper access to the 4V (including Verbier), it's a reasonably quiet resort and easy to drive to from the UK. Second week skiers might struggle to get the best out of it as I remember a lot of the links being fairly challenging reds.

Les Deux Alpes had a combination of good choice of pistes although some of the links are a bit flat so not too good for 'boarders. It was also the most British resort that I've been to - for some people this is a plus, for others a minus. There were loads of bars but it did have a bit of a 18-30 air about it - wet T-shirt competitions in a couple of them. The town is quite stretched out so getting around on foot is a bit of a fag but there were plenty of buses.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ben wright,

Your chalet looks nice, what is the resort like for people of our ability?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apologies to my fellow chalet pimps and those that object to pimping.

Sparkygirl, as long as you're comfortable on blue runs you'll have no problems. The grading is fairly forgiving so some of the red runs can easily be skied by people in their first week on skis. There are also very few people around outside the holidays and weekends so you can concentrate on what you're doing rather than worry about other people.

There are a few button lifts in the area (not many but some are at key points where there's no alternative). I've never had a problem with them but I understand that some people hate them.

Our village is quiet most of the time - except the Nice/Marseille school holidays when it's as busy as any other French resort so best avoided then - so the nightlife isn't the big draw. There are always a few of the instructors/lift workers in one of the bars and if you buy them a couple of drinks they'll probably strip and dance on the bar (the male ones).

There are 4 or 5 instructors that speak good English - these are not necessarily the ones that the ski school thinks speak good English despite us telling them numerous times who's more proficient - and private lessons are pretty cheap (EUR45 for 90 minutes for up to 4 people).

As well as our chalet, there are a couple of hotels in the village and they're fairly cheap, we've had overspill guests stay in one and they said it was fine although breakfast seemed to be served a bit late so a couple of times they came up to the chalet and ate with their friends!

We're pretty full up for next year (we can't be in France until late January/early February so are having a short season) but send me an email via the website if you'd like any more info.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't say it is my favourite but a skier couldn't possibly claim to have seen the skiing world if he/she hasn't been to the 3 Vallees in the heart of the French Tarentaise.

Hit it at the right time of the season it is as good as any nice resort but none, except the Dolomites, can match the 600km piste domain or the 200 chairlifts. In off peak season it is a skiing paradise for all abilities.

Thereafter one should visit the Italian equivalent Dolomites, the Austrian Ski Welt and the Swiss Jungfrau.

Not too sure how the North America stacks up but its biggest place is in Whistler of Canada.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not that this will surprise anyone, but Wengen is my favorite resort, it may not have the most ski runs (though it does have plenty) and it certainly doesn't have the best nightlife, but for pure atmosphere I think you have to look very hard indeed to beat it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, Shocked wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, Oh my i'm sooo suprised! snowHead

Out of the 2 resorts I been to (Jungfrau and l'Espace killy) i'll pick Jungfrau any time. Pure skiing may be better in l'espace killy, but it sure is NOT 'le plus bel espace de ski du monde'

Slopeside restaurants, toilet facilities, average lift quality (I don't like non-detachables that hit the back of your knees like a baseballbat at all, nor the oens without footrests (those volkl allstars + boots weigh too much to let them hang for 20 minutes it takes on some of those damn slow long lifts)!) are miles ahead in the jungfrau region.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ben wright,

No objection to the pimping in response to a direct question. Although it would definitely be a breach of ethics (see elsewhere) if you and sparkygirl turned out to be connected Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sparkygirl, My personal favourite is Morzine. It's a fun town, plenty pf bars etc. and it's nearly in the heart of the Portes du Soleil - one of the largest linked ski areas in the world. For a beginner it's fine (most places are to be honest) and as you get more adventurous there's an amazing amount of skiing. Also a dead easy transfer from Geneva.

Check it out at Ultimate-Ski.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sparkygirl, I'm going to have to go for the obvious as well and say Alpe D'Huez wink Think it is a great ski area that really does cater for all abilities. The town also has a lot to offer with plenty of non skiing activites with pools and ice rinks etc and plenty of night life if you want it. Not to mention that there is a really fantastic chalet to stay in.........

Aside from that if you are going for ski area alone I would say Espace Killy takes some beating - alot of other people think the same though so you will find that you are not the only one on the mountain. Town of Val D'Isere not everyones cup of tea - worked there myself and definately prefer the more laid back life in the Southern Alps! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
ben wright,

No objection to the pimping in response to a direct question. Although it would definitely be a breach of ethics (see elsewhere) if you and sparkygirl turned out to be connected Very Happy

You're surely not suggesting we have our very own "cash for questions" scandal! wink Laughing
snow report
laundryman wrote:
fatbob wrote:
ben wright,

You're surely not suggesting we have our very own "cash for questions" scandal! wink Laughing

Not at all. Have seen it happen elsewhere though.

For what its worth my favourite resort changes more or less every season depending on where I got the best snow last year.
latest report
Well my usual response is Les Gets / Morzine (similar to David Murdoch, ). Plenty to interest most skiers and easy trips to Avoriaz etc if you stay in Morzine. The short transfer time is a really big plus for me and with so many airports now having Geneva flights it is accessible from most of the UK.
snow report
Les Arcs, and Schladming I think. Both somewhat similar - pretty big in terms of kms, with lots of hills and villages so you feel like you are travelling, fast lifts, not too busy and all runs suitable for intermediates that like to get some speed up.

I also enjoyed pas/soldeu (great easy, rewarding terrain) and three valleys (done all three now, great sense of travel, good skiing to be had and unlimited scope).

Didn't enjoy Serre Chevalier (too many drags), Alpe D Huez (too busy, and bizarelly limited for it's claimed milage), La Plagne (too flat, too busy), Portes du Soleil (too low for good snow, links are a faff, busy lifts), LesDeuxAlpes(slopes too easy or too hard, and getting around is a pain)

Off the top of my head I can't think where else I've been!

HTH, aj xx
ski holidays
I think Saas Fee. Only been there twice - and I would have trouble dragging my regular ski buddy back there. But it has great charm, there is a lovely laid-back atmosphere to it, Plenty of slopes to ski for a week (more if you go touring). And you can ski Zermatt for a day out.
latest report
La Rosiere - Its just a lovely friendly place with IMHO some lovely skiing. I felt appreciated there.
snow report
Zermatt. Like a picture postcard, great nightlife, fantastic cruisey skiing;. Cheap beer! Wink
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier. I just like the slopes there & the easily accessible off piste.
ski holidays
I have to say La Rosiere, we liked it so much we bought a chalet there. I believe, it really has something for everyone, it's a great family resort, it has one of the best snow records in the Alps, it's south facing and sunny with magnificant views and because it's thought of primarily as a family resort the off-piste doesn't get tracked out in a matter of hours. One of the top three off-piste descents in the world, the Ruitor Glacier, a 20km route, is accessable from La Rosiere. The best value lift pass in the Alps, some superb restuarants both on and off the slopes, a very friendly village and not too expensive, well that's what our guests tell us.
snow report
€480 for a family pass including 2 kids under 18 and 150 kms of skiing in 2 countries - Robbery wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Robbery

Quite Toofy Grin
snow report
Sparkygirl, have you got an idea of price or distance or duration
Soldeu has already been mentioned and it is a good resort for beginners, with very good instruction, we've been 3 times and you can read reviews on this site
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/
The only other resort we've been to is Whistler, very different bu great fun (though pricey)

You might want to consider the issue of price too.
large tour operators work well for the first few times you go as they tend to deal with the more familar / larger resorts, but the price can varry a lot so shop around and check the small print on what is covered etc.

look for good instruction ratings in independent books not the brichures (the where to ski guides are pretty good and snowheads is fantastic for feedback)

If there is a group you might be able to get a group discount. are you going on your own or is there a group?
hope this helps
latest report
My favourite might be Ischgl after Christmas snowHead
snow conditions
I've spent most of my time in the larger French resorts despite attempts to persuade my companions to do DIY holidays. My 2 favourites are Courcheval and Espace Killy. If you have just started skiing Courchevel is a fantastic resort with loads of accessible skiing. Espace Killy and Val d'sere may be better when you've a couple more weeks under your belt. Always wanted to go to Les Arcs/ Vallandry and there are lots of resorts in Austria and Switzerland i WANT TO vISIT BEFORE i GO ACROSS aTLANTIC
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sparkygirl, Favourite resort ? Haven't really got one. As long as there is some white stuff, some runs of the right standard that are not too trying to get to...then that's all really....
ski holidays
Quote:

You're surely not suggesting we have our very own "cash for questions" scandal!

I just looked at Sparkygirl's posting history and if any chalet pimp has set up that ID and posted on such a variety of topics over the last couple of months just to drop this question in here they deserve whatever business they can generate from such underhand methods.

I'm far too lazy to do that. You'll know when I'm planting questions because the ID will be something like "Den White" and will have made no prior posts Very Happy

The various posts about La Rosiere over the years had inspired me to look at the piste-map and it does look very good for people in their first couple of weeks on skis. Loads of blue runs although some seem to have been ugraded to red recently, presumably just a change in grading rather than rerouting them to make them trickier.

Quote:

€480 for a family pass including 2 kids under 18 and 150 kms of skiing in 2 countries - Robbery
- Val d'Allos: €457 (high season) for 2 adults and 2 kids with 230km of skiing. Although there's no chance of nipping over the border for lunch in Italy Sad
latest report
La Plagne (only) Family pass is €638. Thats a lot of Euros to spend time on more crowded piste. Dont frget the higher costs of lessons, gear, hire, food etc etc
snow conditions
Nope, I do not know Ben Wright!
I am just very interested in different resorts and accommodation etc as it is all new to me.
Thanks for replies, very helpful as every time I look at a brochure I decide that I want to go somewhere else, they all look good.
Looking forward to my next trip.

Very Happy
ski holidays
I apologise to Ben Wright and sparkygirl if anyone has interpreted my comments as an accusation. The original response was supposed to be lighthearted as it was I who had recently used the term chalet-pimping but then I remembered seeing farcial conversations in the past on a forum where a poster effectively asked themsleves questions as an inelegant way around agreed anti-spam conventions. Sorry for confusing things.

For what its worth all-time favourite resort probably Mt Baker. Would I spend a season there? - probably not.
snow conditions
fatbob, I'm quite enjoying being seen as a pimp. Perhaps I'll get mo' respec.

I've seen a couple of prime examples in other threads today, one was transparent enough to make me chuckle.
ski holidays
my favorite of all time is Lake Louise, but i couldn't move there as i couldn't get enough points, so i moved to my next fav resort which is Serre Chevalier.

I absoluteyly hate les 2 alpes, if ever there was an uglyer crapper resort i've not been to it! yet i still find myself there at least once per winter season and once per summer season, but only due to free lift passes.

Also Alpes d'huez is awesome, great offpiste and piste riding.
I

I also love the little known onex like Creveux and Pelvous, well worth a visit if your up the Serre Chevalier or Vars way (a short drive from either)
latest report
ben wright wrote:
fatbob, I'm quite enjoying being seen as a pimp. Perhaps I'll get mo' respec.

I've seen a couple of prime examples in other threads today, one was transparent enough to make me chuckle.

Whichever ones could you mean wink
ski holidays
ajhainey wrote:

Didn't enjoy Serre Chevalier (too many drags),

Due to 3 spanking brand new high spead chair lifts, there are no longer masses of drags to use.

But if me as a snowboarder can do every single one of the drags in serre che they should cause absolutely no problem for a skier, infact come to think of it despite being the crappest skier you will probably ever see on piste i've done nearly all the drags on ski's too.

They are very very easy!
snow report
I am sorry guys, but my favourite resort is the same as snowangel's, yes, Serre Chevalier. I know I have an apartment there, but I bought it there because it was already my favourite resort. And I agree about the drag lifts, far fewer of them now.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 13-07-06 20:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I don't think I have a favourite resort:

Westendorf I like because it's pretty, friendly and Austrian.

Val Thorens I like because there's just so much ski-ing to be done, and I always meet a few snowHeads there.

Val Cenis I like because of the pancakes and the elephants.

Obergurgl I like because it's friendly, Austrian and full of Brits who booked private instructors for the whole week Shocked

Saas Fee I like because it's a really spectacular location.
snow conditions
Zermatt...I could just spend all day in a mountain restaurant admiring the view.......okay, so I did that!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy