Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone recommend good Tour Operators for US (Vail) Or Canada (Fernie)???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

After a few years of skiing in Europe - Mainly France - would like to try Vail or Fernie!

We are a group of 4 looking for ideally hotel or self catering accomodation.

Any suggestions on tour operators? Don't want too much hassle organising so leaning towards a tour operator booking.

However, would also value anyones experiences of doing it DIY as may consider if potentially straightforward!

Thanks in advance!

ScottyDog
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did Fernie with Frontier Ski and I can 100% recommend them a being great. We had lots of help from them including orgnainsing different flights for people staying for different lengths of times, stopovers on the way back, transfers, the lot. they were great.

The previous year we did Fernie as part of a roadtrip, which we did DIY, and have done trips to whistler DIY. We paid about £50 more per head than we night have done DIY, but we had all the hassle taken away, and more importantly for me - I left my boots on the carousel at Calgary airport (that's a mistake I'll *never* make again!), and Frontier's local rep sorted it all for me saving me the expense and nightmare of a trip to calgary to collect them.

See my resort review for more on Fernie itself.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Independence are pretty good from my experience with them
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at United Vacations http://www.unitedvacations.co.uk/destinations/skitravel.asp

We found them good value to Breckenridge last year.

PS They weren't very helpful, but they were cheaper than anyone else, and offered very flexible hols, with stop overs.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 12-07-06 0:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not actually gone on the holiday yet - but just booked with Ski Independence and they've been really helpful... Everythings been sorted for me nice and tailor made
A far more personal experience than the likes of Inghams online system for example!! (and easier to choose what you want to do rather than paying supplements for anything that isn't just convenient for Inghams)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second Ski Independence for being very good, staff in the office have personal knowledge of the ski resorts & although there were no SI reps in the resorts we went to last year, their rep in Whistler kept in touch with us throughout the 2 weeks to confirm the arrangements (we were going to 2 resorts). Also, if you're a member of SCGB, you get 10% off SI prices Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, was the Whistler rep an Irish girl? (her name escapes me right now)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Third to say Ski Independence were good, rep in Whistler was great, helpful but not hassling like some company reps can be Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coreen - I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a really great time at Beavertail lodge at Fernie. I see skisafari handle them. Or you could check that they would pick you up, then book yourself to Calgary. Probably my best chalet experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, I really can't remember her name but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Coreen or noticeably Irish. She was very helpful, rang us when she said she was going to, after our arrival in resort to check everything was OK & received lift passes etc, the day before our travel to the second resort to confirm times of buses etc & then the same when we got to the next resort. We didn't need it but I though it was very good customer service.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What is the point of a tour op'?
Book your flights? Duh....I don't think you will find that too complicated.
Book your transfers? For 4 of you a rental car is a total no-brainer.
Book your accomodation? You are going to Fernie...they ALL speak English, ALL the websites are in English. That whole industry in North America has become web-booking based.
Book your lessons, skis etc? Just go on the Fernie main web page and follow the links.

Why bother with the tour op?
Decide on your dates...spend 1 hour on-line and it is sorted.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, I can see the benefit of using a tour operator at times and other times we do it all ourselves.
It really depends on whether you have the time, and if you know exactly what you want
I took away alot of hasle for the canada trip this year
Plus with ski club GB we get a discount through Ski Independence.

but as you say rungsp, you can book it yourself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, because it can be cheaper going with a tour op? Often its the transfer from airport to resort that's the killer especially if there's only two of you, although most Canadian resorts seem to lay on a regular scheduled service. Last year, going to Big White and Sun Peaks, it was cheaper to book through the tour op than book independently (that is, staying at the same accommodation). Internal flights can be quite expensive booked independently.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, how did you find Sun peaks?
snow report
rob and sharon, the skiing was good. Didn't really like the resort much, trying too hard to be a Tyrolean village - and failing. Also has a road running through the middle and a damn big car park. But we had great fun there, mainly due to the SCGB rep and meeting up with others through him. We preferred Big White - not trying to be anything it wasn't, all roads you ski under (or over??), snow was the most lovely soft deep powder, and a good variety of skiing. We probably wouldn't go back to Sun Peaks, probably would to Big White.
snow conditions
Some of the best accommodation in Fernie is at Lizard Creek Lodge........not cheap though.

The BEST ski instruction camps in Canada are run in Fernie by these guys:
http://www.harbskisystems.com.au/cancamps/layout02_cancamps.htm
ski holidays
I've never been able to come close to TOs prices to ski in N.America.
latest report
richmond, the only way I can is because of the dreaded single supplement.
snow report
cathy, we stayed in sun peaks a few years back whilst driving through the rockiees, but never skied there. Like the resort then but by the sound of it it's changed and become a bit more commercial
Glad you had a good time though
snow conditions
Ashski wrote:
Some of the best accommodation in Fernie is at Lizard Creek Lodge........not cheap though.

Met someone on one of these camps - certainly he was bought into the whole Harald Harb alignment idea - seemed almost like a cult to me.
snow report
scottydog,

Can I just ask why the shortlist - they are very different places. Fernie is not a resort with Euro style miles of groomed pistes but has fantastic offpiste when in condition. Despite development the on-hill area (& indeed town) can be a little dead at night.

Vail can definitely satisfy the greater mileage option & has plenty of open bowls to earn your offpiste spurs but is pretty expensive for North America.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
scottydog,

Can I just ask why the shortlist - they are very different places. Fernie is not a resort with Euro style miles of groomed pistes but has fantastic offpiste when in condition. Despite development the on-hill area (& indeed town) can be a little dead at night.

Vail can definitely satisfy the greater mileage option & has plenty of open bowls to earn your offpiste spurs but is pretty expensive for North America.

For the reasons you give, two very different resorts. I want to go to both, so offering both options to the others in the party to see which way they want to go Very Happy

ScottyDog
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Ashski wrote:

Met someone on one of these camps - certainly he was bought into the whole Harald Harb alignment idea - seemed almost like a cult to me.

They are the only instruction camps I am aware of that specifically target skier alignment issues. Fixing alignment problems will make a big difference to balance and control.
ski holidays
I'd say the BEST instruction camps in Canada are the ones run by Extremely Canadian. But I also agree - balance and alignment are key, no matter what style/technique/methodology/dogma you use.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I'd say the BEST instruction camps in Canada are the ones run by Extremely Canadian. But I also agree - balance and alignment are key, no matter what style/technique/methodology/dogma you use.

Maybe provided you fit their target group as an advanced/expert skier. Still bet they don't mention alignment in their 2 day camps.

Reckon your close to comparing apples and oranges. I'll do one of their camps next year and let you know.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the help! Will let you know what we end up doing!

ScottyDog
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy