Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey-Vallandry or La Plagne for Feb '07?

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking at L'Oree des Cimes in Vallandry for a trip next year. Anyone know much about it, or the resort itself?

Other similar apartments I've seen are at Belle Plagne, Plagne Village or Aime La Plagne. Whilst I presume they'd be more snowsure I thought Vallandry may be a bit of a nicer spot.

Any thoughts on the topic would be most welcome.

Cheers

Marc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The MGM development at Vallandry is new, looks very nice (although I've not been inside) and is in a very good ski-in/out location. Vallandry is a good location, near the Vanoise Express so easy access to skiing in either Les Arcs or La Plagne. I wouldn't be concerned about snow-sureness in Feb as Vallandry is reasonable high (1600m?) and the runs to the village all have snow cannons on them. I think that Vallandry is much nicer than Aime La Plagne, but I don't know Belle Plagne or Plagne Village well enough to compare. Vallandry also has a good Brit-run ski school (New Generation) is anyone in your group is looking for lessons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill, They are fantastic. Built last year, so this will be 2nd season.

The resort is a quietish French village. From the appartments the Grizzly 6man lift is very close, & you can ski back. Skiing is great - lovely wooded runs back to the resort & easy access to Les Arcs & La Plagne. Nightlife is quietish. There's The Mont Blanc bar - nearly opposite L'Oree des Cimes, run by Tracker, an English guy. Can get messy there, but do a good all day English breakfast & easy ski in, ski out food.(The new Club Med last year only let you in if you were eating there- we didn't bother - too many other good places to go.) Or there's Jimmy's bar down in Vallandry. Some really great restaurants - L'Armoise (for a treat), Le Refuge - pizzas, Caleche - lovely Savoyarde food & several more. Small shops in Vallandry - & up the hill at Plan Peisey. Sherpa supermarkets in both places. Med centre between both places - & hole in the wall!

We have an appartment nearby & visit lots, so do PM me if you need any more info. My brother & his family always go in Feb & have never had a problem with snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, there will be a few of us looking for lessons and perhaps a guide, so it's good to know New Gen are in town.

geri, it sounds very good, much as I'd expected. As a large group (there's about 25 of us) we tend to take our own atmosphere to "quiet" villages too. wink

Thanks very much to both of you for the information.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, Sounds like the Mont Blanc will be perfect for you Very Happy Very Happy

I also have it on good authority there's a great outdoor hot tub at L'Oree des Cimes Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, I've stayed in the Mt Blanc . . . the bar's better than the hotel . . . by a very long way. It's a very busy watering hole in a sort of ski-bum way but friendly and the breakfast was big enough to kill a yak. Generally it is a quiet resort and if you'll forgive the comparison, a bit like La Ros in that way but you do have the bracing walk over to Arc 1800 if you want brighter lights. This side of the mountain is not as quiet as it used to be since the new development and that link across the valley, but it's still a great piece of mountain to play on without having to fight crowds and still have access to one of the biggest areas available.
Got a feeling that geri might know Spawn of Msque since it's a name he's mentioned Confused
PS, Flying Squirrel over in Plan Peisey does mean burgers and a snowheads beer discount.
It's a resort I'll be going back to with anticipation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, the Mont Blanc is great for an English-esque scran. Order of the day is full English Brekkies as has been said, but other delights like Bangers mash and onion gravy, Chicken Wings, Chicken Curry etc. Makes for a nice change from pizza, pasta and cheese Wink

Only been there during the day on full day trips over from La Plagne, but am led to believe it can get a bit wild in there of a night! Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque," Got a feeling that geri might know Spawn of Msque since it's a name he's mentioned "

Who's that then Puzzled

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 11-07-06 18:59; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

snowheads beer discount.

Thats not a phrase you see or hear very often in the Alps Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geri, Little guy 'Billy' did a season with Ski Olympic at La Foret (before the last)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mont Blanc a terrible terrible place (is Tracker from Bristol, he's got the brrrr?) you pop in for the happy hour at 4.30 and then you find yourself many many hours and jugs and shots and slammers later stumbling out of the bar still with your goggles on your head (ideally), leaving you to scramble across the piste with skis and all giggling like loons 'heading for the light s' in the distance...phew got that off my chest...must go back sooon
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
martski, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
martski, You don't do 'Boys Week' with my brother, do you? Very Happy

Masque, Don't think I know him. Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geri, a possibility
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill, I would always choose Vallandry over La Plagne - much faster uplift in general so skiing to sitting ratio is better if you like skiing? snowHead On the other hand if your group enjoys long slow but scenic chair lifts that give onto crowded and busy blue runs with poor snow quality then La Plagne is your place.

When we were there in April last year the snow was much better in P-V than La Plagne as a generalisation, although slushy on the P-V side of the Vanoise in the afternoon, the piste on the La Plagne side ended in a waist deep lake (made for some fun spectating though)

Can't comment on the accommodation though.
latest report
wooooah there with the generalisations!!! You went in April! I dont know exactly when but we had some great snow right up until I left on the 19th!
ski holidays
An alternative to L'Oree des Cimes in Peisey-Vallandry is Les Arollaies - 4star self-catering accommodation within 100metres of the Vanoise Express and Plan Peisey chairlift (takes you to the same sort of altitude as the grizzly). Crystal Ski have it on their books I believe (you'd need to check prices on their website).

I think it is a little cheaper than L'Oree, and if you are snowheads you'll get well looked after at The Flying Squirrel Bar in Plan Peisey, which is only a 2 minute walk away - try any of our 10 different burgers like Masque says, or if you're man enough, we have over 15 home-made flavoured vodkas, not-for-the-faint-hearted "gringo beer" and the only decent texmex food for miles around! But I am biased of course... wink
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
marc gledhill,
PS, Flying Squirrel over in Plan Peisey does mean burgers and a snowheads beer discount.

Will
Does the discount apply in August as well?
latest report
boredsurfin, at the moment we do not open in the summer, so no sorry!
Hoping to open next year as part of a summer mtn biking / rafting holiday offering.
snow report
both propertyes are on www.skicollections.co.uk if you want to do DIY. I've nver stayed in Vallandry/ Les Arcs but am not a big fan of La Plagne too many motorway blues
snow report
Nadenoodlee, I'm talking 2005...
Quote:

but am not a big fan of La Plagne too many motorway blues

dan100, thats ma boy
snow report
The les arcs side is all much better imo than la plagne - went to LP (centre) last year in the big snows in march but even with fab conditions it really didn't rock my world - won't be going back - slow lifts with big queues, busy slopes and very VERY dull skiing (and I'm a nervous novice type!) with far too many flats to cope with. In fairness some of the skking was off limits due to the avalanhce risk but it just didn't impress in any regard. Sorry LP fans! aj xx
latest report
dan100, The correct url is http://www.skicollection.co.uk/
snow report
I've done La Plagne 4 times and loved each trip. That said there is only Kaprun that I have been that I didn't like. Paradiski is one of the worlds greatest ski area IMHO.
latest report
dan100, it was your link in this thread that put me on to the idea, so if it's rubbish it's your fault Twisted Evil

Again I'd like to thank everyone for the comments. I'm sure we may be bumping into flying_squirrel at some stage where ever we end up. snowHead
latest report
I can't find that Les Arollaies place though.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, http://www.lastminute.com/site/find/World/Europe/France/Rhone-Alpes/Lyon/LMN-Hotel-420178776-0-0-LAG00003$v1v$.html

Not got much time this morning, but here is a quick ref for les Arollaies.
snow report
Marc - but what happens if its a raging success??? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I booked it, I get the credit snowHead
snow report
Done Peisey Vallandry (once) and Belle Plagne many times. BP is at 2000m so a bit more snow sure and gives excellent access to the whole of the LP domaine. But there's not a lot else going for it by way of apres activities.
P-V is on the end of the Les Arcs domaine and it can take a little time to get into the swing of things. Depends a lot on the weather. Haven't been there since the Club Med opened so unsure of the impact of that. The Hotel Vanoise (on the left as you come down towards the Vanoise Express terminal from Les Arcs), is an authentic French style place - good for a cafe & cognac, chocolat chaud or a meal. P-V is quieter and altho' most of the chalets are new and purpose-built they don't have the timber-clad 3/4 storey oversized blocks, uncharm of BP (mind you from a distance BP doesn't look too bad and it is deffo the Belle-est bit of LP, but that's not saying much.)

Access to P-V via road and/or rail probably easier than to LP. The road up the hill to LP can be subject to traffic jams - and that's once you get to that point. Main road probs apply equally to LP & P-V (accessed via Bourg Saint Maurice at the head of the main valley)

I'd rate highly BP on giving easy access to loads of groomed motorway purples (if you know what I mean). Also traffic free. But my sole week in P-V was marred by almost too much snow and access to the top parts being closed off for avo risks. Because it's on the link over to LP, artifical snow is always available in season to get you up into the rest of the extensive Les Arcs domaine from P-V.

Weather and snow conditions permitting, neither will disappoint. Have a good one - - - - - whichever you choose. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
Quote:
[quote="kuwait_ian"]" Haven't been there since the Club Med opened so unsure of the impact of that."

Surprisingly little impact. The chair up from the Vanoise Express is busier at 9.30 than before, when the Club Med lessons emerge from the hotel. This will improve when the new lift goes in - 2006 or 2007 (not sure which). But the improvement overall in terms of facilities has been good. The guests of Club Med dont seem to venture out of the hotel in the evenings, so you can still get into the restaurants. I gather a few more shops & a bar are due to be built soon.
snow report
Thanks all, I've asked the group to have a look at your postings, the resort websites etc, and most seem to favour Vallandry. I should be booking it up later today snowHead

Sadly it was the thought of the burgers and beer at Wills' that swung it wink
ski holidays
marc gledhill, refer your group also to our own SH resort reports in the alphabetical listing sticky at the top of this section. Update for mine for P-V --- - - I understand from Will (aka Flying Squirrel) he can no longer get decent bacon for the BLTs, so the special burgers and tex-mex have taken over as the dishes of choice !!!!

Some photos of P-V here http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/510 - but your friends will need to register to view.

Have just noticed from the topic title you are going February, so unless it's an exceptional year P-V should be very well coated by then. If the weather shuts down, it enjoys some tree-protected runs just above the village.

geri, good news that the big Club Med will help the resort in terms of overall business without apparently dominating it.
ski holidays
ian, we did read your revew as well Cool

Bad news on the bacon front!!

Hillsides full of sheep and no decent bacon rolling eyes
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
Hillsides full of sheep and no decent bacon rolling eyes

Errr, Mark, which part of the sheep does bacon come from?
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, it's an old gag from an England cricket tour down under Smile
latest report
geri,

Hi Geri, is your apartment available to rent at all? Looking for something in Vallandry/plan Peisey for March
snow report
marc gledhill,

Having just got back from Les coches, I much prefer the vallandry situation, position and resort runs!!! to any of those other ones you mention. Its well positioned and nice tree runs back in case of bad weather and a much nicer feel! Can't comment on specific accomodation though!
latest report
fridge, we only let it out to friends & family really. Its full for most of March, anyway

Try flying_squirrel, who runs a bar there - I'm sure he has lots of contacts. Its a great place to go Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy