Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any Ethics in skiing ?

Poster: A snowHead
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
sometimes you have to do some 'running off the Q' to make spaces for other halfs n kids ,who dont have your skill levels, and to keep your team together

Mrs L and the laundrettes have far superior combat queuing skills to me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like the method of queue control used on a couple of lifts in LDA at last year's PSB, the lines were uphill so it really was survival of the fittest.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that what is meant by Q-angle?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is that what is meant by Q-angle?

I'm a Q-Anglo. I indulge in competitive queueing, but still get offended when others are more successful. Then I feel guilty! Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing

Quote:
"the best moves are often seem by a pack of mates working alone but culminating in reforming of the pack at the perfect moment"

That would be me and my friends, we always seem to end up about 4 chairs in front of the 'rents. Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yes - back country skiers have ethics... (or the ones I know)

this includes carrying out everything with you - hence the importance of how you construct and transport poo tubes!

Similarly impact should be minimised in sensitive areas... (As a clue I have been chastised for not standing on the rocks when summer walking with one of these guys as my heavy hoofs upset the plants)

There is also the "hut ethics" (these are safety huts so should NOT be used as accom - tents SHOULD be carried... huts may be used as "cooking/social" areas in poor weather but people retire to tents if possible and priority is assigned as needs based)

etc etc etc

Many of these guys also double as search/rescue as well.... This is why I find the "I've been skiing a whole season and have fat skis so I can go ski off-piste(Europe)alone no problem" The "ethics" of placing self and rescuers at risk is something I have had bashed into thick skull repeatedly...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger wrote:
this includes carrying out everything with you - hence the importance of how you construct and transport poo tubes!

Why is that ethical - don't the animals crap?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1)Kangaroo crap = nothing like people crap
2)Animals above tree line in winter? Not many and not large very different to a bunch of people
3)Pygmy Possum crap = less like people crap than kangaroo crap
4)Pygmy possums sleep in winter unless stupid noisy hamfisted (footed?) people wake them which makes them use their fat reserves faster. If they are asleep and not eating they do not tend to crap much
5)people crap persists in alpine areas for waaaaaaaaayyyyy long... =spreads germs(eg guardia) through the environment

Try eating a heap of eucalyptus leaves (like a koala would) and see how well you feel afterwards... Koalas are different to people too... So are antechinus, broad-toothed rats, and wombats.

Kangaroos, wallabies, euros, emus, wombats, echidnas all have much gentler feet than me in a pair of scarpas! For this reason I am told to try to stand on the rocks(bare preferably)....

Even orange peel is a serious contaminant in our environment - it takes ages to break down (turns to leather first!) so no - I do not leave orange peel around even in less sensitive areas than our alpine ones - I carry it HOME with me....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Out of interest - don't any other animals eat orange peel? (we often do if it is cooked).
No possums or Kangaroos in the Alps, or any other marsupials. (Would their poo be polution there?)
People on the other hand have been there for tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of years ( but I asssume it is the number of people which is relevant here).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
have no idea if kangaroo poo is pollution in alps... people this side of world have funny ideas re ecology versus ours....

In the burren they proudly announced that the place was covered in trees but they cut them down and then removed other plants and the topsoil blew away.... hence the bare rocks.... and then went on to advise that because they graze cows on it the plants cannot get a foothold to allow the area to get soil back..... yeah.... good stuff... (????I guess??? we have big issues about retaining soil and plant cover so for me this is a major nightmare)

No - animals do not eat orange peel which contains orange oil which is toxic from memory (i remember extracting to make Vit K).... That is why you scrap pith from orange rind onto garden to keep cats/dogs off.... they hate orange oil... clove oil works for mice....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I put orange peel in our garden to keep cats from peeing on our plants. Though it can't be all that poisonous if we eat it (but then, we are the only animal that eats chillies).
Interesting about the Burren. Of course most of those beautiful, bleak Scottish Highlands were once forest. You can find the roots in the peat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, my dog eats chilies, in that he eats pretty well everything that we prepare for ourselves in too great a quantity. For some reason, he hates courgettes, and will go to some lengths to separate them from other stuff. He's quite happy with other vegetables.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, perhaps I should have said animals in the wild. (Or at least that is what I read somewhere). Civilisation does funny things to you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, I hate courgettes too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
call them zucchini and lightly fry with garlic.... they should be still crunchy and just have brown spots starting on surface(slices)

yummmooooo

toast pine nuts... throw them and zucchini slices ontop of pasta tossed in napoletana sauce.. shave parmesan over.... oven more yummmy!
snow report
little tiger wrote:
call them zucchini and lightly fry with garlic.... they should be still crunchy and just have brown spots starting on surface(slices)

yummmooooo

toast pine nuts... throw them and zucchini slices ontop of pasta tossed in napoletana sauce.. shave parmesan over.... even more yummmy!
snow report
Thats interesting, I didn't know one could SEE echoes!

I won't inflict my courgette recipes on David, but spinach is good cooked with butter, garlic and a little ginger.
ski holidays
There are unwritten rules in the fun park too.

Don't stand in the run-in to the jump and rails.
Don't stand in the landings of the jumps and rails.
Don't snake the queue.
If you fall, get out of the way as quickly as possible (assuming you aren't injured)
etc
snow report
I've perfected the art of the 'pole Plant' between or in front of others skiis to steal a couple of inches on them.

(started with straight poles , now they look like racing poles due to bends.) Shocked

The thing to remember with queuing is it doesn't matter where in the queue you are - JUST SO LONG AS YOU GET TO THE FRONT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Twisted Evil
latest report
DarkSummer wrote:
There are unwritten rules in the fun park too.

Don't stand in the run-in to the jump and rails.
Don't stand in the landings of the jumps and rails.
Don't snake the queue.
If you fall, get out of the way as quickly as possible (assuming you aren't injured)
etc

Hi Zack, good points. In the US they have this campaign for fun park etiquette:
http://www.nsaa.org/nsaa/safety/smart-style/
ski holidays
What is snaking the queue?
snow conditions
I've not read all of this thread but I seem to recall things like:

If you stop on the piste stop at the side, not in the middle (how many times have you flown over a bump only to see a group of, usually, boarders sitting down in the middle of the piste, having a rest)
Help a fallen skier.
If you stop at an incident and remove your skis, place them in an X above the incident
Watch out for slower, less able skiers below you (if you mow them down its your responsibility)
Look up the slope before skiing if you are part way down a piste
snow report
Quote:

Watch out for slower, less able skiers below you (if you mow them down its your responsibility)

Does that mean it's alright to mow them down, as long as you accept responsibility? Laughing
ski holidays
Sharkymark, Absolutely Laughing
snow report
Sharkymark,

Agreed, and if you can give a manic laugh as their limbs fly asunder then all then better.

FWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Kramer wrote:
What is snaking the queue?

It is basically pushing in. When everyone is lined up at the top of a jump or the top of the halfpipe you should wait your turn.
snow conditions
Ah, pushing in, one of the few crimes that should still carry a mandatory death sentence. wink Laughing
snow report
A crime that doesn't seem to exist abroad though. There's a lift, there's a queue of people for the lift, but your not english so straight to the front of the line you go.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, it's not an issue in some places Very Happy
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,

Where you recommend in Utah for a USA first timer. What attracts me is the short transfer from Salt Lake city, and loads of snow obviously.
snow conditions
johnboy,
I'm just worried that you might be lonely in a lift line at Solitude

Or get caught in a rush at Snowbird

Don't get me wrong, it's not all open slopes with now crowds

Honest!

Make sure you pick the slope with the fewest people on it

For your first trip, I'd suggest:
Snowbird (Alta is right beside it, but the bird has more lodging options)
Solitude
The Canyons
ski holidays
I thought I recognised those pictures Laughing
latest report
Linds, you took most of them!
snow conditions
johnboy, Let me know if you go to SLC as I've got the car hire info that WTFH, Linds & myself used as if you want a 4WD (recommended, esp to get to Alta/Snowbird) very few of the rental companies offer them - & if they do they're mega bucks.

The Canyons is highly recommended - for Stephanie who works in the real estate office wink
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
The Canyons is highly recommended, not for the skiing but for Stephanie who works in the real estate office wink

...you seem to have forgotten the Tombstone liftie... wink
snow report
Yes Foxy rolling eyes what was her name Laughing
snow report
Linds wrote:
Yes Foxy rolling eyes what was her name Laughing

I dunno but I'm surprised but how many times did we have to go on that lift rolling eyes I'm surprised she didn't get a restraining order wink
latest report
spyderjon, you weren't that rude to her! I'm tempted to say it was Lucy, but I'm not sure.
ski holidays
Lifties respond to kindness, food, and beverage!
One of our friends burries beer in a snow bank for the lifties to retrieve when they're done working.
We always give them some of our tailgate food.

Goes a long way to having happy times on the slopes!
snow report
SnowHot, this one responded to an Irish accent and a smile.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy