Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern V Schladming for TIMID skiers, Help Please!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Can't decide betweem these two as keep reading conflicting reports about how blue the blues really are, and if the reds are at the top of the scale. So if anyone out there has skied them both, which do you think is best for timid skiers. We have already booked flights to Salzburg, so have committed to that area! As hotels seem to be filling up fast, I'm going into panic mode!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't think I've been to Obertauen but I was in Schladming in March.

I'd say it is a very good place for timid skiers ... I can't really remember what the blues were like but the reds were very tame and well bashed and there were no runs at all that could be called difficult. In fact I'd say the a lot of the reds were less steep than the average blue at somewhere like St Anton. They are the flattering kind of motorway slopes that you can really open up on and carve all the way down without getting into too much trouble.

The village/town is quite a pleasant place as well although we struggled to find any decent apres .. but there were a few decent bars for a late drink.

It is a bit low though so best to go when it's still cold rather than in the spring when we went.

Saalbach is another good option out of Salzberg ... bit more variation in slope there and a bit higher with good apres.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't worry about the spread out nature of the mountains either ... you can ski off in the morning in what ever direction you fancy and then at the end of the day ski down to the bottom of which ever mountain you ended up on and get a bus back to Schladming.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichA, thanks, went to saalbcah/hinterglemm this year, blues were a bit too advanced for me and other lady we went with, but intend to go back there again in the future.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, seems we share a year, I went to Schladming season before last and loved it. It is a great place for newbies with loads of wide confidence inspiring blue runs and if you get a little 'tired' (read pissed) after lunch, the mid-stations on all the mountains have a gondola down to the valley floor/town. Taxis are cheap the beer always fresh. I loved it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sharon1953, I have never been to Obertauern but have been to Schladming a couple of times and I would say that in general the reds and blues are fairly graded. With the 4 interlinked mountains, it is a particularly good place if you enjoy skiing from place to place and the complete round trip wouldn't be beyond a reasonable intermediate.

The first time I went it was the third week for my kids and I seem to remember that there was one steepish red that I inadvertently led them down on the first day at Reiteralm, that my youngest struggled with. She was only 8 and hadn't skiied a red before and it was day one of the holiday. IIRC it was the red number 4 down to the gondola. Otherwise there are some flattering reds and blues there.

I really like Schladming and will definitely go back there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, well forunately the 2 resorts are quite near so could always hop from one to the other if we make a mistake - looking like Obertauern at the mo.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, I am sure that you will have a great time wherever you go, but should you still feel uneasy about either option, the choices within easy reach from Salzburg are huge - see here http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Salzburg.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, Oh great, even more to think about Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have been to both but rather to long ago to remember what the runs were like, in term of convenience and snow reliability I would defiantly go for Obertauern .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its amazing how many hotels are booked up, even though they haven't released their prices for 2007 yet, there is some sort of carnival mid Feb so that pushes the pices up and reduces rooms!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's called Fasching, and people even dress up in costume to go skiing!. Here's what Wikepedia has to say about it....

Austria
In Austria and southern Bavaria, Carnival is called Fasching and is generally celebrated in several types of events.

First, there are parties called Faschingsfest or Gschnas, where people dress up in funny costumes, similar to what Americans do at Halloween. Such parties are often held in private homes. Children are often encouraged to come to school in their costume on the Faschingsdienstag (= Mardi Gras), and even some adults come to their workplace in a costume. Laughing Laughing

Second, January and February are the high season for ballroom dancing, with a large number of balls talking place especially in the Hofburg and other palaces in Vienna, including the famous Vienna Opera Ball.

Third, in many towns and villages the local Faschingsgilden (Carnival Guilds) meet and offer their comedy programs to the public. Other than in Germany, where similar events tend to be ritualistic and ceremonial (the German events, even though they were sometimes broad coast on Austrian TV in the past, are increasingly considered boring by Austrians), the Austrian events focus on stand-up comedy and political satire. The most famous event is the Villacher Fasching in Villach, Carinthia, which draws a TV audience of about 25% of the Austrian population every year. Politicians often attend the event and are then shown on TV laughing when the joke is on them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blitzen, thanks, that explains the "we are fully booked" replies!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, as Ray Zorro says, you have stacks of choice within 90 minutes drive or train of Salzburg Airport.

My wife found the blues in Saalbach on the tough side (it's sometimes considered an easy resort coz the reds are easy but I would agree that the blues are hard).

The gradings in Ellmau, Scheffau, St. Johann and Fieberbrunn are all easier than Saalbach, with plenty of "lost-my-bottle-today" routes. They're all good resorts with plenty of accomodation (wouldn't expect them to sell out for a while). If you hire a car you dont need to stay slopeside and can ski a variety of places.

Obviously no use if you're set on Schladming or Obertauen but have suggested them as I understand the timid skiiers mindset (been there, regress often) and know that having done Saalbach you'd feel relaxed all week at these places. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if you go to obertauern and your a beginner stay in the montana..
you walk out onto the easy bit of the slope down to the first chairs or down to the t bar..
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, we have their brochure, but at £67 per night per person it's a bit steep Sad
latest report
sharon1953,
I dont think the blues in Obertauern are particularly steep it is just that there are a relatively small number compared with the reds. You will also be one year better than last year so may be less intimidated by red runs. Driving to other resorts form Obertauern is not difficult we did it last year though not to Schladming but remember to get the full area lift pass as you then dont have to pay anything extra for the other resorts.
snow report
schladming is fabulous wide and almost all very unscary pistes, even the reds, - can't remeber the hill names now but the only runs I found at all tricky were the red ones all the way to the bottom of the two hills on the right which are a bit steep in places and one section on the run that joins the main gondola bit at schladmin to rohrmoos.
The little hill on it's own right at the end of the bus network from schladming bus station is absolutely perfect for the nervous (Fsomething?) - deserted, well pisted and reliably shallow gradient.

Take a look in the resorts bit and there is a review from me I think...The best place for nervous folks would IMO be either in Haus, or by the main gondola in schladming. Roohrmoos is great in and of itself but the routes in and out are not that good (not french red level but not particularly easy either) and the best 'novice' skiing is a long way away in haus.

aj xx
snow report
Sharon1953,
I've skied both on seceral occassion. The skiing in Schladming is the easier of the two. Obertauern is sconsiderably higher than schladming with a better and more consistant snow record which can in fact make it a better terrain to ski. The schladming ski area is spread out across 3 peaks, travelling between them is never quick. all in All Obertauern is a better area to ski (in my View).

Bob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy