Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to hire car at Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
I've used EasyCar and HolidayAutos to hire cars from Geneva airport in the past. I think EasyJet have now closed. What's your experience of finding the cheapest car hire at Geneva? I'd like to make sure I'm not paying over the odds

Regards

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
when ever I've hired cars before i've done it through Holiday Autos and they given the best price for what is offered. Cheapest isn't always the best - you need to make sure the insurance cover is good and see what you are liable for. So far Holiday Autos have been both the cheapest and best cover Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and if you sign up to their newsletters etc you regularly get offers through on e-mail.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheap car rental
Try this website Rob, It always comes up with good deals.
You could also try Kelkoo, that's how I found cheap-car-rental.com
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Bunny, this doesn't seem to include Switzerland/Geneva as a possible rental location. Have you used them to hire a car from Geneva or somewhere else?

Regards

Rob
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Dan - Holiday Autos have always been the cheapest when I have booked.
I normally tell them I will be on the Swiss side of arrivals as well, cos I seem to remember its slightly cheaper and a bit less hassle to get back to.

I forgot my drivers license once as well, coinciding with the G8 Protests in Geneva last year. Turned out all the trains were cancelled and I absolutely needed to get to Moutiers that day. Had to take a taxi for 300 euros.... ouch.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flying_squirrel, I've never quite understood when people talk about the 'French side' and the 'Swiss side' of Geneva airport. How does this work, and is it something I need to be aware of for a typical flight from London to Geneva and the car hire fro driving into France?

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Geneva airport straddles the border between Switzerland and France. I haven't tried to rent a car there (not being a driver), but two colleagues found it cheaper and easier to cross into the French side and hire a car from there (they were driving to Calais because EasyJet and lied to them about their flight, and dumped them there over night). Apparently it was cheaper and easier to rent for France from there...though that seems counter to flying_squirrel's point.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, How and where do you walk to the French side? I didn't realise this was possible. Do you have to go through any kind of broder control when you walk to the French side? Does the French side also have a selection of car rental outlets? Sorry about all these questions!

Regards

Rob
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, sorry, it's been a long time since I used Geneva airport. I think that you can enter into either Swiss or French side of the airport at customs, but once in one moving to the other is more difficult. That may be mis-remembered and/or have changed though, so hopefully someone else here will know.

I did live just the other side of Palexpo for a month and regularly walked or bussed into France around there, so there's always ways round the problems.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rob, the Swiss side is cheaper, fuel is also cheaper in Switzerland and all Swiss hire cars carry a carnet without which you cannot drive on Swiss Auotroutes, well you can but you'll get stopped at the Border and if you're caught on a motorway the fine is pretty steep. All the rental outlets in Geneva are in the main arrivals hall and the cars are held in the underground car park right outside. Couldn't be easier, If I have to hire a car in Geneva now I never bother to pre-book. Just ask for any special offers, over a weekend or Mon -Thurs are often packaged as special deal and compare a couple of rental companies. Provided you're not travelling at a busy time you'll invariably get a good deal, I usually mange to get an upgraded car for the price of an economy motor.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have recently found Sixti at GVA to be very competitive.

On the topic of the French versus the Swiss side of the airport, I used (a few years ago) to find that rentals were consistently cheaper from the French side but more recently any difference seems to be small and arbitrary. Also, getting to and from the French side can be a hassle (all international flights arrive and depart from the Swiss side) and sometimes, particularly if you arrive late at night, France is closed!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I booked mine through Snowextras. Even though I'm not a SUCK member, they still gave me the SUCK discount, which helped. Think it was through either Budget or Europecar, and it was a very good deal.

Avoid Hertz & Avis at all cost - not because they're expensive (so much), but more because the queues are mad at these two. It seems everyone ends up booking through these two companies, so the smaller rental companies' queues are a lot quieter.

Also got an upgrade to a nice Golf 4motion 2.0 4WD - very handy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masopa wrote:
Also got an upgrade to a nice Golf 4motion 2.0 4WD - very handy!

Unless it's essential that you get a big car always pre-book and pay for the cheapest smallest car on offer...Ford Ka, Renault Twingo, whatever....it seems to me that they don't actually own any little cars and we always get an upgrade FOC to something rather nice!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with playdreamer, Have been thru Geneva a few times and Sixti are good, but book as early as possible for the good deals
BTW they call Geneva Genf on their website
snow conditions
Quote:

it seems to me that they don't actually own any little cars and we always get an upgrade FOC to something rather nice

I'm in Hertz No 1 Club and the standard booking is a Group B. Focus or Stilo sort of thing. Actuality on the last 2 one-way rentals was LHR-LGW 7 seater Ford Galaxy Diesel Auto. Could have sold tickets if I'd known. Week later LGW-LHR Black Mercedes 230 Elegance Estate, Diesel Auto. Like a hearse. No increase in price for upgrades to Group Z !!!!!! They basically used me as a delivery driver to help shunt their fleet around rather than load them on a transporter. Everybody's happy.
snow report
homphomp wrote:

Unless it's essential that you get a big car always pre-book and pay for the cheapest smallest car on offer...Ford Ka, Renault Twingo, whatever....it seems to me that they don't actually own any little cars and we always get an upgrade FOC to something rather nice!

I agree. Booked a Peugeot 106 in France last week & ended up with Chrysler PT Cruiser instead. Much nicer
snow conditions
masopa, sounds like a similar deal we got through SNOwExtras at New Year. 4WD Golf very handy when it snowed.
ski holidays
the 4wd golf isn't a bad car but just having wineter tyres is probably good enough. 4wd sounds fine but in practice winter tyres will be good enough for most things. At the point where 2wd and winter tyres aren't cutting it then some skill with 4wd is required. Versions of 4wd vary somewhat and you need to be pretty familar with how the car you're driving behaves to take it to the extreme of handling in snow or on ice.

I drove round the Dolmites in heavy snow for a couple of weeks in a 2wd Punto with winter tyres and it was fine. My own Jeep in similar conditions needed you to know what you were doing but that's in part due to the power of a 4L engine, my current Audi Quatro is an easier drive but you still need to know what your're doing.
ski holidays
Holiday Aurtos always good value, but they are also the company generating the queue. How important is spedd of getawway in your rental? I will look into Sixti following reccomendations. Snow extras always seem to cost that bit more - but maybe we will avoid the queue!
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas, snow extras was cheaper at New Year than Holiday Autos.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy