Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me details of the conditions in Gressoney last season. I've heard that they were pretty poor for the previous 2years, and am thinking of this resorts for a backcountry week in March. I've had great conditions in St Anton the past 2 years in Jan but fancy a change.

Bod
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went at the end of March/beginning April and conditions were excellent, they were so good I think that the season was extended by a week.

I'd heard it was poor earlier on in the season though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there in March just after good snowfalls. Good offpiste conditions for the first few days and then some wind crust. I will def be going back for more.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BOD, My understanding is that they were unusually bad, which means absolutely nothing from a prediction (indeed, any?) point of view.

I can't speak from experience as when we were in Champoluc over Xmas/NY the Col was closed - as it has no snowmaking on the Frachey side as it's not usually required - and so we couldn't even get to Gressoney.

I believe Monterosa got better snow later in the season but we were occupied skiing elsewhere...

You get what you get. IMH but inexperienced AT O the area is awesome for BC randonee, but not generally great for lift served off piste - where you'd be better off in Vd'I, St. A., Verbier, etc.

Nice part of the world in general though, great food, hospitable locals, etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been pretty dry there over the last few years, I hear. Last season there was a reasonable amount of snow by the time I got there in mid-March. However, the early season had been so bad that they had laid off the operators of the Punta Indren lift (where most of the best stuff is accessed) only to be unable to re-employ anyone to run the lift once the snow arrived.

It is a great place, esp if you don't mind walking for an hour or so to get to your descent
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
>> not generally great for lift served off piste

I'd disagree, less people, so plenty of good snow to be found from the lifts, walking/traversing/lowering into colouirs maybe needed!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BOD, We were there in April, and whilst there wasn't the greatest amount of snow, there was still enough. Does backcountry = skinning ? If so (based on my limited experience) you'll be fine ..... Ditto David Murdoch, it's a very nice place to be snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BOD, I was there in mid March (the second of the two Snoworks courses there this year). There was plenty of snow, although it was mostly breakable crust and hardpack, very little powder. I thought it a great place, and fully intend going back to do the same thing next year. There's a couple of pictures in my snowMedia zone (although not really showing what it's like in general) , but I'll put a few more up soon.

Arno, I was told that the Punta Indren lift has been condemmed and will be shut probably for the next two seasons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, I heard several stories and was just going with the most recent one! They are supposed to be building a chair up the ridge from Salati to Punta Indren, but the finances of the area are quite precarious so who knows.

I don't understand DM's downer on the place for lift-served off-piste. The terrain is fantastic and it's so huge that it doesn't get tracked out quickly. My downer is that it does seem to be quite dry compared with lots of other places in the alps. The problem is that you have the huge Monte Rosa massif to the north which blocks most weather coming from the north. So you are relying on south westerly storms for snow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed in Alagna a couple of years back which is linked to Gressonay and had very good conditions. We skied over to Gressonay several times.

The only reservation is, that I was told by someone who had been there before a couple of times at least, that as a lot of the slopes are predominantly south facing, some parts can turn cruddy and icy quite quickly even after fresh snow.

I was there late January and you might want to do a little more research before going in March.

It certainly is a great off piste area and I would recommend using guides to get the best out of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy