Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Celebrity skis?

Poster: A snowHead
A search of Snowheads produced nothing about these skis. Any comments? The SCGB test was pretty positive, and said the following: "many bigmountain skis only really come alive when laying out big arcs at high speed, but this is not the case with the Celebrity. It’s a ski which immediately inspires confidence, and gives the skier the opportunity to get out and explore all conditions and terrain. Everyone commented on its fun factor, particularly in deeper conditions. For carving on hard, groomed runs, it felt quite soft, and eventually would lose grip when pushed hard. Overall, a fantastic backcountry ski, which works well in all turn-shapes and speeds."

Grateful any comments on length, if anyone has experience of these (women-specific) skis. I am 5'6" and just under 10 stone. I already have some skis for "carving on hard groomed runs".
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help you, pam w, but I'm looking to try and get on some fat skis at some point next season - atm the Phat Luvs are top of my list, but the Line may have to be added too. I can't justify buying powder skis yet - haven't got my technique down pat enough yet (on the same principle as not driving an auto car until you can drive a manual properly), but wouldn't mind having a play Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I can't justify buying powder skis yet - haven't got my technique down pat enough yet

me too, but being out there for the season I can take advantage of the right conditions, and the review in SCGB didn't sound like the skis were too demanding. There are a few around in sales.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, What is its dimensions..?

If you have the hardpack area covered then you could afford to go fat for the OP excusions. It sounds like it is pretty versatile so its going to be skiable in all but the icy days. If its around 78 then you probably have an all-rounder whtch will work pretty well OP.

But to justify the purchase it would be nice if someone had a personal experience... There is no point just getting a B2 type ski in this situation IMV. If you are going to have 2 skis make sure they cover 2 bases
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[not helpful]
I'm just put off by the name - 'Celebrity' makes them sound glitzy, over-priced and incapable of getting up before 4 in the afternoon...
[/not helpful]
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't like the name either, Hoppo, but if you get put off skis by the name there's not many you would buy. Where do manufacturers get their names from? Are they having a laugh? It's not just skis. I drove a long way on winding roads behind a caravan doing 35 mph the other day. It was called a "Marauder"! When I finally managed to overtake the driver of the tow car was a very little bald chap who could hardly see over the wheel. If he was a skier he might like something called "Vicious Yob" with deaths heads on. Actually, the Line skis don't seem expensive, but they are wide - 90mm, which makes it surprising (to my non technical eyes) that they are as nimble as the SCGB review suggested. They're supposed to be light, which appeals to me because although I'm happier with heavier skis once they're on my feet, I have arthritic hands and carrying heavy skis is a pain (literally).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
picture of them here http://www.soulx.com/h/n/SKIING/HOME/ALL/133// I think they're quite pretty, actually! Not that that is one of my major criteria when buying skis!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, ... the logic of caravan names is unfathomable...

HappyMouffe and I both have skis which we probably wouldn't have got on the basis of manufacturer descriptions/reviews.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, those are pretty Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd suggest you go to their parent company (K2) and get Miss Demeanors or Nancys.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If my experience with Line skis is anything to go by they'll be easy to ski for the width,quite flattering & basically a "right laugh". Pretty solid too - you may end up using them more than you think. If Soul X are doing a deal well worthwhile - probably far superior to equivalent Salomons etc. For the pedants base material could do with being a little thicker. Caveat - no specific experience of the Celebrity obviously but it can pay to think outside the box.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the price is right they could be worth a punt, 90mm should get your confidence going in soft snow and if they handle well you might end up using them on all but the icy days as fatbob says, which would be a bonus. Line skis should have a bit of kudos so should be easy to shift on in resort if you really don't like them. Don't know what you ski now but they may be better than what you have for carving
and its those that you wil be shifting.

If you are going to have 2 pair of skis, you can afford to be more specific in what you want them to do...,ie SL/GS skis for piste and 85/90mm Off-pisters. You just need to know what you are gong to ski on any given day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely recommend tyhe Celebs. Very nimble for their size, and pretty light. Got my girlfriend a pair for Xmas this year, and shes really pleased with them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, there were some Line skis at the EOSB, but some bu**er nicked them and had them away for too long so I never got the try them - I think they were the Prophet 80 which they do in a 166. I tried the Ninthward fat skis which were 89 under the foot, and although they were easy to ski on I didn't see any significant difference in float compared to my Zags at 78.

Why, with your skiing, are you looking at silly ladies models? Surely you don't need them? You can actually ski!!! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MagSeven wrote:
Definitely recommend tyhe Celebs. Very nimble for their size, and pretty light. Got my girlfriend a pair for Xmas this year, and shes really pleased with them.

MagSeven, you don't happen to work for Triple Air, do you? (The UK distributor of Line, which is based in Brighton...)
I'm sure you probably don't, but it does show why you can't always rely on getting independent ski reviews in anonymous internet forums wink
latest report
Martin Bell, from another site, I thought he worked in SoulX in Brighton...
snow report
Quote:

Why, with your skiing, are you looking at silly ladies models? Surely you don't need them? You can actually ski!!!

thanks, easiski, I was just following up the models which did well in the SCGB tests and trying to identify bargains in the sales....my local ski shop, Filarinskis in Havant, are trying to sell me a bargain (£300) pair of Nordica Nitrous skis and maybe they'd be better - 162, I think they were. I quite like the lightness of "silly ladies models" though, because of my arthritic hands, which ache if I do a lot of carrying heavy skis. The Nordicas are not too heavy, actually, and the guy in Filarinskis reckons they are great. Maybe I'll go for those.
snow conditions
If you're looking for a ski primarily for off-piste then you shouldn't bother with the Nitrous. It is a very good ski, but it's much more of an all-mountain style, with a 78mm waist and a shorter radius than the Celebrity. The flex and torsional stiffness will be much greater than on the Line, so they do feel lovely on piste, but they can be a handful once you start to get into softer snow.

I'd also say that they are relatively heavy and if you can sometimes suffer when carrying skis, then the Nitrous will offer you no advantage there.
snow conditions
Pamw I'm not connected with either Line or Soul X but see that Soul X have a pair of these skis in 165 for £221 on a dutch auction ie it goes down to someone buys
snow report
They're going for less than £200 at the moment - a pretty sick deal. I grabbed myself a pair of Prophets Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks folks, have gone for the ex-demo 165s, good price and so pretty.... rolling eyes
latest report
I know that this is an old thread but I'm thinking of getting the Celebrity and wondered if there was any more feedback on them?

I've currently got the Head Great One in 165cm for normal (piste) holidays but we're doing 2 weeks in Canada (Big White and Sun Peaks) this year and OH keeps saying I need something fatter for the powder (although I think that this maybe a ruse so I can't complain if he gets some new skis)!

I'm 5' 10" and around 73kg and have found an 07/08 pair in 172cm (Line have stopped making them at this length) but given that I normally ski 165cm - is this a bit long?

Any comments/thoughts would be gratefully received.
snow report
Nibbler, I've got them, I think they're 165cm - but I'm a fair bit lighter and shorter than you. I like them - but I'm not much of a judge, I'm afraid. That sounds the right length for you - my piste skis range from 156/162. They ski fine on piste too, though I wouldn't choose them on days when the snow is hard-packed. They're very easy sort of skis - which is why I bought them. My much heavier, younger, and more dynamic, nephew borrowed them and blasted round happily everywhere.
snow report
Thanks pam w, I think I'm going to go for it and buy them!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy