Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BEST SKI RESORT BEGINNERS & 17-20 YEAR OLDS FRANCE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Snowdad, I should justidy my comment by finding the thread for you. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=270863&highlight=club+med#270863

There you are. You can judge for yourself. How about Mark Warner instead?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, richmond, Martin Nicholas, Nick L, eng_ch, David Murdoch, laundryman, marc gledhill, Hi All ....Thank you for your comments. From what I have read I will settle for Les Portes D Soleil / Chamonix or The 3 Vallees areas. Still unsure about Club Med...it seems that all other forms of accomodation provide meals, if required, and the amount of time spent on the snow fields during the day (after all we are coming a long way just for that) would suggest that other "entertainment" and activities may not be that relevant.

Any further thoughts??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowdad, Tell us more about what you want:

Price
Chalet, Hotel, self catered.
Ski Schools
Will you require an airport transfer
What airport will you be coming from
etc etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Price not really a consideration (once only family vacation- 3 girls 20yo, 17yo, and 12 yo, me and wife).
Not sure about accomodation but originally considering Club Med.
Ski schools required.
Airport transfer needed.
Coming from Geneva Airport.
Beginners at skiing and girls want a 'pretty' setting if possible.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. Difficult. Megeve is very pretty (at least, the pedestrianised centre is, horse drawn sleds etc). Good choice for beginner and intermediate ski-ing. BUT it's not ski-in (bus, or walk to gondola, depending on location). Also because the village itself is quite low it is often not snowy - or more likely, grungy piles of black stuff at the edges of the road, but not much that's white and fluffy. Also, depends when in January - the later the better. Snow cover early in January is a bit of a lottery - not just in Megeve, but generally. End Jan/early Feb better, and still low season (till 10 February this year). For some people, having lots of fluffy stuff right outside the accommodation is an important component of the Alpine experience - and somewhere like La Rosiere, which is high, more likely to supply it. Agree that night-life in La Ros is very limited, though personally I would prefer that for my kids than what the ice perv describes as an "alcohol fuelled riot". When we went to La Ros the kids (oldest was 18 at the time) had a ball with the other people in the chalet, regardless of age - the whole group gelled and after the first night they couldn't be bothered with the hike up to the village. But all told, France isn't the top choice for night life (as opposed to eating out). Austria might fit the bill better. We have been to Alpbach, loads of Alpine charm, cows in the byre, yodelling and thigh slapping galore. Lively bars (at any rate one, when we were there, which the kids loved) but food (hotel, as the Inghams chalet we stayed in had problems with kitchen facilities) was average, to put it politely. In fact it was fairly grim, and we found it necessary to drink loads of free plonk every night, to wash it down. We took family members from Australia and southern Africa there - first time they'd seen snow - great success. Loads of Brits go, no problem with language in ski school. Bus to the slopes, other than basic nursery facilities in village, but very reliable. Back to Megeve, have just received my annual mailshot from Simon Butler ski-ing - never been, but looks a good formula with catered chalet accommodation and English speaking instruction built in. Worth a look, perhaps. The mountain scenery there is wonderful, dominated by Mont Blanc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdad, I'd definitely look for the thread on here about a Club Med experience last season. As I've said, it's not your average hotel experience. We did it one summer with very young kids, and although the child care was excellent, the facilities were good and the food excellent, we wouldn't do it again; it's all too communal and like an up market holiday camp (if you have those in Australia) for us.

I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with the possible areas you have listed, although Chamonix is not usually regarded as a beginners' resort (is it chaps?). They're perhaps a bit low on alpine charm, compared with some Austrian resorts for example, but have loads of good skiing and depending on which resort within the area you choose, nightlife.

I think that all European resorts (with more than a couple of lifts) have a ski school.

Airport transfer is not a problem; if you don't buy a package which includes one, there are lots of possibilities; car hire, coach transfer, train transfer (not to all resorts, obviously), private transfer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Back to Megeve, have just received my annual mailshot from Simon Butler ski-ing - never been, but looks a good formula with catered chalet accommodation and English speaking instruction built in. Worth a look, perhaps. The mountain scenery there is wonderful, dominated by Mont Blanc.

snowdad, I'm a repeat customer at Simon Butler Skiing. Worth a look for you I'd say. BTW, Megève is one of the closer resorts to Geneva Airport (just over 1 hr away).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder if La Clusaz would fit the bill? It's close to Geneva, and it's a proper Alpine village as opposed to some of the purpose-built resorts in Portes du Soleil or the 3V. I think it's suitable for beginners. I've only ever been there for day trips though, so I've no idea what the nightlife is like.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a fabulouus chalet in La Clusaz that gets fab write ups and always seems full. I would love to stay there. They also do an airport tranfer. Very customer focused

http://www.snowlife.co.uk/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowdad, I see you have narrowed it down to PDS, Cham or the 3V. Forget Cham for beginners; 3V have skiing for all standards but not much alpine charm, and the transfer from Geneva is traffic-prone and tediously long. PDS better value for money, mostly charming (except Avoriaz), much closer to Geneva. Go for the Portes du Soleil.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the ice perv, Which resort in PDS would you recommend when considering charm, nightlife and good skiing?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, Interesting how we agree to differ !! I would go for Les Gets every time against those criteria ... I'm also going to plug The Sarf ... so Valberg and Auron hit the mark ... although the 'style' is more twixt Provence/Cote d'Azur/Haute Alpes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My experience of the PDS is mainly limited to the eastern part which straddles the border. The swiss side (Champery etc) is probably not that great for beginners, as you have to ride a cable-car up to the slopes. Morgins would fit the bill apart from nightlife, which is on the quiet side. Ironically Avoriaz (france) has a good nursery area and is quite high (therefore good snow) but is one of the high-rise tower block resorts which lack the ambience you are probably after. Chatel (also france) is more villagey but like Champery you have to get the cable-car up to the easy runs, or hop on a bus.

I have never managed to get over to the western part (Morzine & Les Gets) but they have a good rep for beginners. As does Megeve, which is not part of the PDS, but is not far from Geneva.
If you haven't already, cross off places like Les Deux Alpes and Serre Chevalier: they are hours & hours away from GVA airport.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are willing to go outside France why not try Zell am See in Austria 1.5 hrs from Salzburg. Beautiful setting on lake. Reasonable sized ski area. Nightlife was pretty good. Glacier nearby.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eEvans, I'm just terribly fond of Morzine. Purely a personal bias. I like Les Gets too - and spend much time over the back of Mont Cheri. Plus LGs is just that little further from the rest of the system. No matter if you have a car of course as we usually drive round to Ardent anyway.

Snowdad, that is a thought. If you have a car then while I don't think you need to be touring to get the best of skiing as beginners, anywhere in the Haute Savoie would let you experience a huge bunch of variety - from uber-chi-chi Megeve, through more rustic Mieussy or even through the tunnel and sample Italian Courmayeur. Just a thought! I have heard you folks from down-under will think nothing of driving 18 hours just for a barbie and a couple of cold ones.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy