Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to Realli-ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

First -time poster but long time reader here. I had my first ski trip earlier this and it’s safe to say I am now hooked for life (or at least until the ol’ knees give out). So, with thoughts turning to next year’s trip I was wondering if anyone here has any views on improving technique on Realli-ski equipment. For those who don’t know it’s a kind of inverted running machine that gives you a rolling-road effect and claims to be ultra realistic. There’s not too many of them about, but I had one go before my trip and with limited ski experience it meant after one lesson on snow I was negotiating greens and blues and after three days was carefully getting down the reds in Val d’isere.

In short, It’s the old “dry ski slope before you go” question with a twist, this way doesn’t hurt and seems to have a v fast learning curve (initially at least). Has anyone else used it? I was wondering if it’s worth having a few sessions on the machine to build up confidence/skill for next year, or would money better be spent in resort (baring in mind we men often seem to spend more effort in trying to pull the female instructors than actually learn how to ski in resort)…
Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sheriff Bart, Welcome to Snowheads...Lessons over here (whether dry slope, indoor snow or realli-ski) are definitely worth it - as well as on the real stuff. I did have a go on something similar a very long time ago....it won't hurt, but neither will using another facility either snowHead . Variety is the spice of life ! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sheriff Bart, welcome to snowHeads.

I would agree with ski, either go to a snowdome, or have dry slope lessons, and definitely have lessons in resort, ideally with a named instructor that you have a personal recommendation about.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the helpful advice, that's why i come here!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Sheriff Bart, I've used and continue to use Realli-ski and would recommend them.

The key advantage I think is that you get instant feedback - as opposed to being stood at the bottom and can only give you feedback at the end of the pitch after 5 or 6 turns - which means that you can quickly hone into the physical sensation(s) of a good turn. I think it's probably the best way of getting to parallel that we have available to us down here in London (even if it is a trek out there).

One of the downsides, however, is that you don't get that "standing at the top of slope looking down it" experience that you need to start building your confidence. So I'd suggest doing at least one trip to Milton Keynes.

I'd also strongly encourage lessons in resorts, but would strongly recommend sticking to a British-based ski school. Not for any jingoistic reasons, but simply because the French, Italians, British, Austrians, Canadians, etc all have slightly different and often conflicting ways of teching skiing. I found that the Italians would spend half of my lessons undoing something I was taught the year before by the French and vice versa.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy