Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Upgrade Of Breuil-Cervinia Valtournenche Zermatt Ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Next season, the 'International' ski area of Breuil-Cervinia and Valtournenche in Italy and Zermatt in Switzerland is to be relaunched after the construction of six new lifts. The new lifts will include an eight-seater gondola in Zermatt, two six-seater chairlifts, one in Breuil-Cervinia and one in Valtournenche, and three quad chairlifts, one in Breuil-Cervinia and two in Valtournenche.
...All the chairlifts will have moving carpet loading systems. Also, artificial snowmaking cover will be increased.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's a "moving carpet loading system"?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bh1 wrote:

It's a carpet that moves for loading wink

It's a short version of the travellator thingies you get at airports (like a flat escelator). You move onto the slow moving belt which then moves you along into the loading position so that the chairlift lifts you up gently - no need to shuffle along like a pregnant penguin to the "STOP" line.

First couple of times can catch you off balance a bit though Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hywel, another example of the way technology can enrichen your life.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I hate them things! Give me the nice comfy chairs that slow down to let you collapse into them any day of the week Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Charlatanefc, haven't you been on detachables with moving carpets as well? I'm sure there were some in St Anton / Lech / Zurs, yes just remembered the one from Stuben area back to St Anton was heated, detachable and moving carpet, how many more boxes can the tick for a chari (oh yes it was covered as well). My point being is that technology (in this case literally) moves on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another example of Swiss over engineering? IMHO completely pointless.

If they were used to accelerate you to a speed where you didn't need clutched chairs then fair enough but they seem to be used to simply position riders where they should be able to get themselves to anyway.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't you have chairs spaced more frequently on the cable if you use a moving carpet loading system? Although this doesn't increase the speed of the chairlift, it does increase the upload capacity by getting people loaded quicker.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most of the newer magic carpets I've seen are on 6 / 8 man chairs, the logic probably being there are less loading issues with people and therefore the lift has to be stopped less. On older lifts the magic carpets are generally used to speed uploading of fixed grip chairs and to allow the cable speed to be faster. Kramer, not sure about that one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely a detachable chairlift is simply a 'cheap' Gondola ?

I have a fear of chairlifts. My fear is that they are not easily escapable and being trapped on one in worsening weather strikes me as potentially lethal.

Its noticeable that Zermatt have gone for a Gondola, presumably because its more versatile and safer over precipitous terrain where rescue would probably have to be via helicopter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't see the problems with moving carpets to be honest. As far as I can tell they allow lift to run more quickly, and means they can bring the chair up behind you at a greater speed without giving you a clout on the backside as you're already moving with it.

Don't quite understand misgivings with the swiss lift systems, other than St Anton I've found them far superior to the ones I have used in Austria.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alecl, there appears to be two types of conveyor system - one delivers people to a stopping pointjust before a small dropoff & you sit on the detached slow chair. The second type sweeps you off the conveyor. The first has exapmples in Val Thorens - usually associated with two parallel loading streams. The second I seem to remember encountering in the La Plagne area, but Im a bit vague.
THe second type may also have been a fixed chair ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S, depends on you view of taking off skis I much prefer chair lifts as it's genrally a speedier uplift all things considered!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I much prefer chair lifts

Oh yes, me too. A nice sit down and a breath of fresh (OK, very fresh) air rather than standing up squashed like a sardine in a boiling hot can, in the middle of a bunch of hung-over blokes with BO, bad breath and a f@rting problem Evil or Very Mad .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi, Or the snooty English lady, in her real fur trimmed coat, who takes up half of the space because the untermensch aren't permitted to go anywhere near her rolling eyes
snow report
IncogSkiSno, You obviously go to classier resorts than me Laughing
ski holidays
maggi, Zermatt this year the Klein Matterhorn cable car ! Confused

Don't you just love people watching? Toofy Grin

AND back on topic . . . Zermatt will certainly be much improved with the additional chair! Very Happy
latest report
maggi wrote:
Oh yes, me too. A nice sit down and a breath of fresh (OK, very fresh) air rather than standing up squashed like a sardine in a boiling hot can, in the middle of a bunch of hung-over blokes with BO, bad breath and a f@rting problem Evil or Very Mad .

IncogSkiSno wrote:
maggi, Zermatt this year the Klein Matterhorn cable car !

just take the world's longest T-bar instead of the KM cable car! I truely thought I was going to die on it ....
snow conditions
Quote:

AND back on topic . . . Zermatt will certainly be much improved with the additional chair!

But Zermatt isn't getting a chair ?
Quote:

Peter S, depends on you view of taking off skis I much prefer chair lifts as it's genrally a speedier uplift all things considered!

Thats probably true because of the time spent taking skis off, but gondolas are usually much longer and provide more verticle, and therefore longer runs.

Also gondolas provide more Phaff Time to sort out scooby snacks, drinks etc Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy