Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed on purchasing a Snowboard brand

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i'm still a bit new on snowboarding, i mean i can get down the mountain good but i just need help on picking a brand for the snowboard i'm gonan buy. i went to the-house.com and tried to buy a packaged deal( boots bindings board) for around around 300-350, but can't seems to choose a brand. i know burton, forum, salomon are good but for around 350 package it doesn't seem to be listed. does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll move this thread to the Snowboard section, I think it'll get a better response there.

Welcome to snowHeads Dukes22, skiers are probably slightly in the majority here, but please don't let that put you off. Very Happy I'm sure someone will have some suggestions for you, but to help us out, how much do you weigh, how tall are you, how big are your feet, how long have you been riding for, and what do you like to do on your board?

I won't be able to give you a meaningful answer, but hopefully someone else will.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i weight 160lb, 5 7", feet- size 10 10.5
i been riding for 2 years really really got thr hang of it this year allowing myself to come down the mount without falling Smile and i liek to freestyle for now
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dukes22, You need a board with plenty of pop for freestyle so my best suggestion is to trail the stores and put your foot on the bottom and twang the nose towards you to see how much flex it's got (that's in place of actually demoing it of course). You are about my height and I ride a 151 (I'm a freerider so my next board is going to be a 156). You might wanna stick to a 151 for freestyle and tricks - unless you're male and under 21 and still getting taller...
Once you've trailed the stores you can check out ebay - I know lots of people who've got great deals and if you don't like what you've got you can re-sell it around about late Nov - Early Dec because lots of parents won't buy their kids new boards because they're still growing so will buy a Christmas present on ebay...Good Luck! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, umm i went to burton.com and did the "Help me choose a board" link, answering a bunch of question concluding wut board i need and size and it suggest a 158-162 wuts up with that. i went to the-house.com and and tried to get a a packaged deal for around 350 and couldn't choose a solid name brand, http://www.the-house.com/snbd-by-size.html thats the site u think u can help me pick out a few i'm not sure wut is exactly is good and bad.
Also i'm 19, just an FYI
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest a board of about 154-157 if you wanna head towards freestyle riding. Given your height and weight you should go for a board that is medium to stiff in terms of rigidity. The brands dont really make much difference, the most important thing is to have the right length board of the right rigidity with as hard a base material as possible. The technology used across brands doesn't change much. oo also if you wanna get into freestyle get a board that is at least to close to being a twin tip - meaning that the distance between front binding and nose and back binding and tail are similar (for riding switch).

A medium/stiff twin-tip board of 154-157 would be a good board for you to learn to carve and ride switch on. You should also be able to flex this board if you have the right balance and from this be able to learn to butter.Once you become comfortable with buttering you will learn to appreciate the flex and snap of the board in helping you to ollie and in your take off from kickers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
okay cool thanks for the heads up, can i ask why there is such a vary in prices is brand doesn't seem to matter though?

i checked out a couple and found out these to be okay can u tell me which ones u approve and don't approve
Thanks, i tend to be very indecisive at times.

http://www.the-house.com/limitedprodigypkg.html

http://www.the-house.com/k2-illus-pkg-06.html

http://www.the-house.com/nitro-target-pkg-06.html

http://www.the-house.com/palm-class-pkg-06.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never heard of the top one but all the others are well known brands. I take it your US based then are you Dukes? The top one may just be a manufacturer that doesn't export over here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The top one is technically the best board but isn't suited to learning freestyle, it is suited to freeriding -> off-piste

The second one and the fourth one are 140 and 144 respectively and are more suited to a small woman around 5 foot - 5 foot 2'

The other one doesn't even give a length I can see and is described as a board that 'wont break the bank' - marketing talk meaning it is bottom end and if you are serious about learning to snowboard you will quickly outgrow it.

I wouldn't recommend any of these boards based on what you have said.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ummmm wut?
lol u can adjust the the length,boot size and bindings, not sure if u knew that . . .
might wanan double check on that

But in any case if u don't recommend these can u give me somthing that u recommend
thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How sure are you that you can change the length of the board in the package?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also I wouldn't buy boots off the net cos you really need to try them on and compare how various different boots feel. The only way around this is to go into a shop and try on loads then go away saying you will think about it - the clever bit - you have already chosen the most comfortable boots and then try to get them off e-bay or something... (make sure you get the exact model in the exact size - this is vital if you want to avoid painful feet and not have to go buy more boots a week down the line)

If I was to pick any package for you it would probably be the 4th one but I dont think you can change the length of the board because if you use the 'add to cart' option it specifies that it is a kids snowboard probably making it cheaper. Also I dont know if the boots are the right shape for your feet...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i added it to the cart choosing size 10 for boots and 157 for length of board and it seems fine
http://www.the-house.com/cgi-bin/cart

check it out and let me know u think
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry I might be being a complete retard but I really cant work that site. It also doesn't really give a lot of information about the boards. I really meant what I said about the boots, if you get the wrong boots you can get really bad pain. I had a pair that I couldn't break in once and the pain in my big toe ofter 2 hours of riding felt like it was going to explode and I was completely incapacitated having to stop on the piste and loosen my boots off for 10 minutes before going home...

I dont want to give you advice on this because I cant get the site to work and I dont want to be responsible for you buying something that you later cant use.

Just had a quick search around on the net and the palmer looks the better of the 3 bottom boards - all 3 are pretty geared to learners though. It is very difficult to get all the information I need to though. As I said the top board is more a freeride board but would be good for carving on piste if you aren't too bothered about learning switch.

I cant see your cart by the way, that link takes me to my cart...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great advice! I'm also fairly new to snowboarding but found some great deals on all the gear at www.snowboardpricing.com. Most of my friends use the site to shop and said that the prices can't be beat. Good luck finding your new baby!
ski holidays
hey i was just wondering if the palmer link i put a above is a good deal though?
ski holidays
Sorry I just noticed it is described as having a directional shapeed design. Basically that means it is rubbish for riding switch and is not any good for freestyle. This is an entry level package if you wanna just ride around the hill for a week a year describing your ability by the type of run you can come down without falling over then this board is suited to you. If you wanna learn switch or tricks or even powder riding it isn't really much good. I dont think the second or 3rd ones are much good for an intermediate rider either. The board you ride does make a difference, the brand of the board does not. Most brands range from cack to good boards.

In terms of price $400 for board boots and bindings is cheap. If you finds you need to buy a more advanced package not very far down the line, though, you will find that it is a wasted $400.
ski holidays
http://www.snowboardpricing.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ord=p&s=0%26nd%3D6&q=336284&st=ride+cue+package&auct=on

well, with some help i ended up getting this package. let me know wut u guys think
snow conditions
Looks like a fairly reasonable package, the board looks like a pretty basic one but I'm sure it'll do you for a while - what size did you end up going for. Bindings should (hopefully) last you for years and years.
snow report
yup definatly a person at a site helped me pick one it out. i would rate myself and beginner intermediate. i can't get down the mountain without falling but just not fast because well i am a bit afraid. the person told me that the boots were good quality and the board is pretty solid as well as the bindings. so i figured at some point down the line i want a more advanced board i can just buy a board and keep the boots and bindings.

I got the packages and everything seems A okay. now i just have to wait a few month till winter season start. living in NY decemeber should be a good time to start the season
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy