Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has sampled the Alpes in the Summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Absolutely love the summer in the mountains. Spent 3 weeks last year in Chamonix based out of a chalet walking in and around the valley but also into Italy and Switzerland too. In fact we got engaged atop the Aiguille du Midi 10 years ago in July and been back outside of the winter season almost every year at some time or other - similarly to the pyrenees.

We've also stayed in Tignes in May/June and took advantage of the summer/winter feeling you get at that time of the year (plus glacier skiing) and I actually love October/Novemeber time out there, really gets you excited for the coming season plus its so quiet and relaxing.....oh and you can lux it up in a great chalet all to yourself for silly money. We had a 10 person chalet in Les Gets a few years ago with Sauna ensuite, gorgeous fireplace, big balcony etc for less than £300 for the week.

One year I am going to go back with my car and drive all the passes in know like the back of my hand in the 'right' car rather than a loaded estate Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah@alpedhuez, If nothing else there is always the horse riding to keep people entertained!! Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not such a stress-free time for the next lot of guests who are stuck at Luton until Saturday now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You should check out some of the stuff we've done in the Chartreuse/Vercors, I've not put up all the routes yet (due to lack of time) but there is some good stuff.

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip - I keep a regular eye on your website in the winter but hadn't thought to trawl it it for hiking / VTT.

Cheers,
Dave
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went out to Tignes for a week of freestyle training under the pretense of doing dissertation research so i could claim some money back. Went on the BUSC trip and had a great time. Never really hit jumps that much before but really got my confidence up (it was knocked out of me a good few times though). Never thought of going to the alps in the middle of summer but am definately going next year. Thankfully came back in one piece dispite a lot of drinking and a rather painfull sun-burn.
love james
xxx
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We're dabbling with the idea that we might go to the Alps for a summer holiday - maybe a week to 10 days. Not sure at this stage where we'd go but we'd need somewhere that would amuse a 3 and a half year old. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not quite the Alps but a mate and me wen climbing/scrambling for 6 weeks in the Dolomites last summer. It was excelent and I was hoping to get out to either Chamonix or Switzerland this summer but circumstances prevented it Sad There's always next year though, it's great out there in the summer as well as winter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the question of Via Ferrata (Italian for the iron way), that's the name usually used in English as well. The Dolomites are a great place to try that - lots of climbs of different difficulty levels. It seems to have grown out of the use of fixed-route climbing used by the Austrian and Italian soldiers during World War I as they tried to blow up/undermine the mountains each other were sitting on.

In the German-speaking parts of Europe they call it Klettersteig - we've done some in Switzerland (Engelberg and Saas Fee). For people with no fear, I recommend the Fürenalp at Engelberg - http://www.fuerenalp.ch/english/viaferrata.php - bl**dy scary.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hbunny,

This is me on a Via Ferrata near Cortina last summer (2005) http://ugwww.liv.ac.uk/~ps0u40cb/photogallery/Italy/Col%20Rosa.jpg

As you say they were orginally developed in WW1 as a way for troops to move safely over the mountains. Pic Lagazoui (on the edge of the Cortina ski area) was the scene of some of the most intense fighting using the methods you mention The Austians had a position of the plateau (around the top of the cablecar) while the Italians were on a ledge halfway up, the cliff overhangs massively like most limestone so they were safe from above bombardment. The Italians then decided to tunnel into and upwards to below the Austrians, they then detonated huge amounts of explosives completely changing the shape of the mountain. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the Austrians heard the tunneling and moved posistion meaning noone was hurt. After this a massive campaign of tunneling (including dummy tunnels and counter tunnels) was undertaken by both sides until the need for troops in other areas of conflict meant they vacated the area. Interestingly the tunneling was extremely ineffective with many more deaths from hypothermia rather than the offensive. This ineffectiveness was symptomatic of the whole mountain war with the respective frontlines moving by only a matter of feet over the course of the conflict. I'm sure there are plenty of books with more information that this but my knowledge has come from "Via-Ferrata's of the Dolomites Vol. 1" by Cicerone.

From a climbers point of view the ferratae are technicall quite straightforward although very exposed, we did some of the top graded ones and didn't bother with protection for quite a few parts of the routes, they are an excellent way to get into some cray places on the mountains. What I was surprised at was how hot it is there in the summer, walking up the hills was quiet strenuous even though the measured temperatures weren't too bad (25C ish), the sun is very powerful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Via Ferratas Rock

Was able to take my 12 year old on a few in Bourg this sumer - There is no way I would be able to afford all the gear that I would need to take him on a traditional climb of this magnitude but was able to rent him a longe for €4 and off we went - Relatively safe with a bit of common sense
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Via Ferrata looks like cheap fun which I will certainly be trying next summer. Meanwhile, the walking here is excellent - the Oisans are the way forward!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes it is cheap fun but be aware you do need some single pitch climbing experience to ensure you do it safely - or hire a guide for the first time - usual "going to the Mountains" caveats apply - Water , food , extra clothing etc - some of these things can take up to 6 hours not including the waiting around if there are other groups around
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

we'd need somewhere that would amuse a 3 and a half year old.

our grand daughter, just a bit younger, loved dabbling in (cold!) mountains streams, picking and eating large quantities of wild raspberries, running down grassy slopes just steep enough to feel slightly dangerous and visiting the bouncy castles, trampolines and similar things available extremely cheaply (a couple of euros for all day, accompanying adults free with re-entry through a little stamp on the hand). Many resorts have similar things in summer, far, far, cheaper than the rip off versions in the UK. Also she loved the cows with bells, the lake used to feed the snow cannons was available for swimming - with life guard cover, though she only wanted to paddle. She seemed to feel quite exhilarated by the distances and grandeur of the surroundings - this was something we had really not expected. Hence the hours she spent just running round. In fact the circuit out of the front of the apartments, round on the grass to the back, then down the stairs to ring the door bell kept her happy for ages, she felt extremely grown up when we let her do it on her own. It was a safe, simple, low stress, low cost, low crowds, fantastic time for her. She also liked having two grandparents and two parents around to interact with her and invent games and activities; that's what makes holidays for kids, really.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Lovely blog, made me feel 'homesick' for Oz!. Particularly enjoyed your description of the trek to the crash site. I have very vivid memories of a walk in Western Scotland to a similar 'war grave' which was most surreal, engines complete with propellers sticking out of the mountain lake and wreckage strewn all around, quite moving. Is the Allemont Tiger still about?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick Dawes, why thank you. You may well be the only person to have read it. The tiger is indeed still there, last seen eyeing up the restaurant's rottweiler with a view to a mid-morning snack. I always feel his enclosure is far too small - he paces up and down too much.
snow report
Thought I posted this one but apparently not. Went to Sauze D'Oulx (very generous mate's appt.) and had a great week. The girl in the cheap pizza place recognised me (been quite a few times) and I felt I'd 'arrived'. So much so I left some of my pizza slices behind.

Lot's of walking and it is really interesting to see the mtns in the summer and see what is under the snow. Got some ideas for a few runs that don't feature on the map ! Loved the calmness compared to the frenetic activity during winter. Loved eating nice cheeses with good red wine. Loved the tranquility. Loved it that it isn't too hot, I'm not really built for the sun. Loved strolling around. Loved beating the Cotton Club owner's (I'm studying at NASA) son at Chess (and I was pretty well oiled). Co-owner, father of (?) so maybe younger brother. I reckon his dad would of whupped my back bottom but then he was minding the place for his daughter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy