Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach end of Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked for 9 days in Saalbach, 26th Jan. Never been here b4, any recommendation on run's to do, good bars & restaurants, must see's etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charlatanefc, it is possible to do a circuit of Saalbach/Hinterglemm...in an anti-clockwise direction (there's a lift missing if you try the other way). It's all blues & reds, and makes a nice challenge for the day. A trip down to Leogang is also nice....you get to ski into a different valley.

As for restaurants....good luck! I went at Easter, and they didn't seem to do restaurants. Most of the hotels serve food to non-residents...but that wasn't quite what I was after. I did find a pizza place in Hinterglemm...but was most unimpressed with the food.

There are several reasonable bars (the names escape me). One is in the central square (Jack's????) and the other I went to is on the corner of the main road through the valley and the town's main street (I think that's Bobby's?). I was only there for 2 days....so I'm sure others will be more help!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant believe he mentioned runs before bars rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were there mid-jan last year - I'd echo Elizabeth B about going over to Leogang, I really enjoyed that. We stayed in the Saalbacherhof hotel which had a good cheesy apres-ski bar in the basement, whose name escapes me. We had half-board so can't comment on restuarants but the food at the Saalbacherhof was great! There's some great skiing over all - and great apres-skiing. I'm sure you'll have fun. You'll probably find loads of info if you do a search on Saalbach cos loads has been written about it previously.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charlatanefc,

Skied there on a day trip in March from Zell (20mins by bus and very efficient). One on the most pleasant days skiing I've ever had. I did the circuit in 5 hours incl lunch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain restaurants - there isn't really a bad one with the exception of the 2 at the bottom of Hochalm - we got food poisioning. There were 3 that stood out and these were Walleggalm, Alte Schmiede and one nearby (can't remember the name but its just down a short run near the Alte). The first is on run 22 over at Hinterglemm and they served a huge plate of grilled veggies and 3 types of pasta for €7. It was really tasty. The other is over at Leogang at the top of 88 and is really stunning inside with table service. It cost us about £4.50 for a huge portion of lasagne which was really good. Head downstairs and check out the Well. Near here, down to the right if you were facing the gondola at the top of 88 is another place which does good apple strudel and has local bands on also - the usual accordian music but makes for a good atmosphere! All these places are marked on the piste map.

Runs - well, 88 over at Leogang is really long and perfect for carving. If you peel off and take the black (89) you can finish with a bit of a challenge. It's a short steep section at the end but has a huge run out if you get too much speed up. The reds in this area are also very good.

Over at Walleggalm, you have some good carving runs along with a heated chair lift!

In Saalbach, the local runs are really good. There is a blue/red from the top that takes you down to the Bauers schialm and nursery area and if you do it in one go it's a real thigh burner. There is also the black 1A which is a good thigh burner but can get a bit challenging at the end when the legs hurt. Blue 46 (I think) is a brilliant carving run but the 2 man chair is a bit slow.

If I were you, I'd make an effort to ski the lot as they are all great!

Apres ski is mainly Bobbys sports bar and Bauers - this is where you may see people skiing down the steps - v.funny! They usually have a band in the main square mid week also so look out for that.

It's not far off the perfect resort! Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't need to add to Hayley's comments. It's the best resort I've eevr been to. I was last there in 2004 in late January and the conditions were unbelievably good - I've never experienced better. JuSt to add the restaurant at the top of Bernkogel called Barnalm I think was also really good, the soup was memorable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the info. We've now decided we're doing 6 days in Saalbach, and 3 in Zell Am See.

hayley t, we're staying in a little guesthouse called Pension Augsburg, is about 500m from the centre, and right at the foot of two of the lifts and a red run. We're going as a cheap and cheerful, needless t say it's only about 30 Euros per night B&B Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy