Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, June 19th

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we made it, setting off with Red Dave at 6.45 this morning for the glacier (slightly the worse for wear after a mix of Hoegaarden, Vacqueras and Gigondas the night before, and nowhere near enough sleep...)

The conditions were ok, better than this time last year, but the recent high temperatures had taken a heavy toll on the dump of snow of ten days earlier. Clear skies and a slight frost overnight so hard first thing, softening up nicely by 9. Excellent views of the Mont Blanc, Grande Casse, Mont Pourri, Grande Sassière...

Great skiing for the next hour and a half, then the clouds began to close in, storms had been forecast and light snow started to fall. Still, we were able to ski through to 12, then decided to call it a day in the deteriorating visibility. An enjoyable day, no queues. Didn't get around to trying out the snowpark... by the time the snow had softened up enough the skies were looking pretty threatening so we chickened out....

30€50 for the day (without insurance).....

View from 'Le Panoramic', first thing
Never seen this before!
In the middle, another snowHead, Red Dave
La Vanoise, midday
A quiet opening day
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great report, PG

I've not summer-skied at Tignes for ages. In the old (pre-funicular) days there used to be a rare 'dog-leg' chairlift back up to the Panoramic, with a bump slope down to it. Does that lift still exist?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David, the funicular was not running (presumably as it was quiet due to being the 1st day of the summer season) so access to the glacier was via Les Lanches chair lift (right of funicalar) and Vanoise (I think) chair. I think your dog-leg lift has been replaced though.

As PG says, not perfect conditions due to recent high temps, but defintely fun in the early sun and very quiet. That woman gave us a great laugh (photo 2) walking up the steps sideways on her skis - why?!

Temperature has now dropped and there was a fair bit of rain on the way back to Grenoble -powder snow up high?

Excellent hospitality from La Famille PG - thanks again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are all (every snowhead) now suitably jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
me too !!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, jealous is not the word. What on Earth was that woman thinking of!!??

Just out of interest Pete, how long does it take to drive from BSM to the car park in Tignes? And what are the opening times for lifts in the summer?

Regards

Rob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob, with a clear road, a little under 30 minutes. The Lanches lift starts at 7.15. Funicular isn't running at the moment, there's plenty of cover down to the Vanoise, so they'll be waiting until it gets busier...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy