Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Them were the days

Poster: A snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nevermind the colours feel the radically straight shapes and the deeply profiled cuffs.

Have a Volkl alpine board with that throwback Renntiger graphic though ( probably old enough itself to be throwback squared).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, it's those K2 boots that get me Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can imagine the boss of Koflach: "Guys, I don't care how you do it but I want 6 clips on our boots for next season!"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, although, for heel retention, not terrible!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:

Wow! The cut of those cuffs, FFS! Shocked Did any one on here try them? And what was the thinking behind the design? Puzzled

That was 10 years before we learned to ski.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
You can imagine the boss of Koflach: "Guys, I don't care how you do it but I want 6 clips on our boots for next season!"

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I trust this is not too risqué for this site, but Lange a decade or more ago epitomised “them were the days”…

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah '74, when women were vestless, edges were sharp and men were as straight and unturnable as their Rrrrossignol skis...

Also year I was born. Huzzah!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Richard_Sideways, Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and...

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lange have been at it ever since ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Omg got all excited thinking this was the Nz 24 catalogue but clearly a decade too soon
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ulmerhutte wrote:
I trust this is not too risqué for this site, but Lange a decade or more ago epitomised “them were the days”…

Not risqué, just outdated.
ski holidays
Used to ski on Rossignol Stratos, around that time. I was only a teenager and they were way longer then me...
ski holidays
I worked for Hexcel (4th ski in from the bottom in the initial post) in the 90's after a merger with Ciba, I had no idea that they used to make skis in the 70's, but it appears they had the first commercial composite skis.

https://www.hexcel.com/Markets/WinterSports

I only started skiing in the late 80's, and I still have some Snow&Rock and Eliis-Brigham winter catologues from that era, and the skis hadn't really changed that much from the 1974 ones, the bindings were much better though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 20-05-23 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@PowderAdict, yeah, I think bindings step changed forwards with the Salomon 727 (arguably the tyrolia Diagonal but not convinced). Although the Look Nevada deserves a mention

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-05-23 5:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
AHhhhhhhhhh
latest report
74/75. Pretty much the golden age of skiing expansion in Europe. Lots of Baby boomers and their children coming into the sport. Pre climate change, still reliable natural snow cover across the alps (and Uk hills). Package holidays in full swing by then and dry slopes being developed everywhere. Scottish centres looking forward to a bright future and dozens of active ski clubs across the country. Portable ski tows cropping up on every skiable slope across northern England when it snows. Probably the period just before the high point of UK participation in snowsports?
ski holidays
@Peter S, haha - yes!! - Vielhaber anyone?
ski holidays
Now we are talking exclusivity @under a new name,
Skied on a good few pairs but never owned any.
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, at least you got my reference! I was a mere bairn then so I never even skied any. I recall a BBC piece on the ones with the gold leaf top surfaces ... too long ago to even find anything on the internet I suspect Sad
snow report
Quote:
too long ago to even find anything on the internet I suspect

Was up in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and we were discussing Vielhaber then... found this online... Scottish Mountain Heritage
snow report
@geoffers, nice one! DEary me, reading that, I now recall lusting after the "Black Fusion" with the gold leaf ... Shocked
snow conditions
@geoffers, I bought my first pair of skis from Mr Vielhaber himself at the London Ski Show (can't remember if it was at Olympia or Earls Court).

I had to return them, as the first time they were used the top sheet 'cracked' in the toe area. First 'Compact' ski ??
ski holidays
I had a pair of the Microfusion MTB (multi torsion box) with segmented edges for more flexibility…. Don’t recall that idea spreading to any other manufacturers
latest report
@albob, not convinced they invented the "compact" (dumb idea) - @dode, totally sure that's been used elsewhere! K2 perhaps comes to mind?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
74/75. Pretty much the golden age of skiing ... dry slopes being developed everywhere... Portable ski tows cropping up on every skiable slope ...

@Peter S, you're missing this.. snowHead

IMO one of the best things that happened to my skiing: having learnt on plastic at Pontypool, I was able to then ski 2 - 3 days a week at the Usk grass-ski centre all through the summer months, plus racing in the British Nationals (with our local heroes Nigel Young/Jonathan Paley, plus the likes of Lesley Beck; Nigel Smith; Graeme Mcguire etc)

Them really were the days.... Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/ffkB_l2FjFc&t=8s

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/141356/
latest report
dode wrote:
I had a pair of the Microfusion MTB (multi torsion box) with segmented edges for more flexibility…. Don’t recall that idea spreading to any other manufacturers

My IDone mogul skis have cracked edges
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
74/75. Pretty much the golden age of skiing expansion in Europe. Lots of Baby boomers and their children coming into the sport. Pre climate change, still reliable natural snow cover across the alps

funny you say that, in 1975 I was skiing at le Mont Dore and the locals were reminiscing about how you used to be able to ski back to the town from the ski slopes at the end of the day. So it seems moaning about snow cover has a long history. (it does seem like it is possible to do this every winter as a cross country ski slope is prepared from the alpine area to town).

I must have had some wacky boots like the ones above although they'd have been from a hire shop so probably nothing as fancy. We seemed to be able to ski everywhere on the gear back then though, rather than needing a Kwiva, or whatever it is called.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
davidof wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin

"Yes but these ones go to six!"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy