Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena for nervous skier & beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
so for the last few years I've had the unenviable task of arranging a group ski trip, it's normally ca 8 people. We're never sure how many people will come but there is a core group and one of these is a nervous skier, ok on blues and maybe easy reds. The last couple of trips have been to Madonna di Campiglio and everyone has loved it but this year we figure it's time for a change. My wife and I will have Dolomiti Superski season passes so would like somewhere in this area, ideally close to the SR for the more experienced skiers.

We've priced up Alta Badia but it's coming in a bit expensive (ca £2,100 HB, with passes, lessons, hire etc) so we need to look at saving a few pounds, for comparisons I think last year was ca. £1,400 all in.

Canazei - I don't think this would be good for our nervous skier, a bit dull as she can get about on blues but wouldn't be keen on steeper reds so couldn't get too far (I can't see her doing the SR).

So Val Gardena - we've never stayed there but know the area to ski through. Has anyone been there with a nervous skier? did it go ok ? The ski school area seems fine.

thoughts would be welcome!
thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@richb67, under no circumstances go up the Ciampanoi lift...the run from the top is notorious. Mogulled all day, people rooted to the spot, carnage. There are alternatives but I can't remember what they are
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have suggested the 'Blue' heaven of Alta Badia ; If you have ruled that out, Canazei is a better option than Selva (it is also cheaper !) : She will not get far at Selva - Most (if not all?) runs back to the village start off as Reds.

Have you looked at Ortisei ? lots of blues at Alpe di Siusi

Or Colfosco
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albob, yes I did wonder about Ortisei and I meant to refer to the valley in general rather than just Selva so any thoughts on Ortisei or St Cristiana would be welcome.

Not really ruled out AB, I've actually told them it will be £2,100 ish and they're gauging in interest, I just need a back-up. "Worst" case we return to Madonna but it would be good to find a middle ground.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@richb67, under no circumstances go up the Ciampanoi lift...the run from the top is notorious. Mogulled all day, people rooted to the spot, carnage. There are alternatives but I can't remember what they are

I have been that person rooted to the spot on that run!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ortisei is a lovely spot and the Alpe di Suisi has lots of very gentle skiing so I thought it would be very suitable.
We really enjoyed a holiday there but it does take a bit longer to get through to the other bits in high season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richb67 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Me too. But it was a long time ago...I'm better now!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
richb67 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Me too. But it was a long time ago...I'm better now!

me too, I've now upgraded to the slow person skiing around the frozen people causing a moving obstacle for the good skiers Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
Ortisei is a lovely spot and the Alpe di Suisi has lots of very gentle skiing so I thought it would be very suitable.
We really enjoyed a holiday there but it does take a bit longer to get through to the other bits in high season.

we've only spent one day in Alpe di Suis but I do remember enjoying it, gentle skiing, pretty but with an awkward layout for a first time visitor. that I'm sure would be easier second time The run down to Ortisei from Seceda is lovely and surprisingly quiet for such a well know run.

Did you use the ski bus to Selva or St Christina? if so was it easy ? it seems to me that in theory should be nice a quick as it's only a very short drive
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used the bus several times getting back to Selva from Ortisei/St Christina. Not as frequent as the service in Val di Fassa Valley, but acceptable
Seem to think some accommodation's hand out free passes to their clients..?

bus timetable

https://www.valgardena.it/dl/stchristina/pdf/352_353_20221203.pdf
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks,@albob,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Yes that one is a horror show - Ciampanoi 5 I think its called .... down and to the left from the top of the gondola....a very steep straight section for several hundred metres . It really should be classed as black but then people would be stuck doing the sella ronda .

The alternative is Ciampanoi 4 which goes to the right from the gondola and under the cable . It is not really signposted at all as an alternative - and then branches right again (Ciampanoi 6) to rejoin the Ciampanoi 5 further down...

Not always open sadly (closed in 1st week of April during our trip) so no option ....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richb67 wrote:
Hi,
so for the last few years I've had the unenviable task of arranging a group ski trip, it's normally ca 8 people. We're never sure how many people will come but there is a core group and one of these is a nervous skier, ok on blues and maybe easy reds. The last couple of trips have been to Madonna di Campiglio and everyone has loved it but this year we figure it's time for a change. My wife and I will have Dolomiti Superski season passes so would like somewhere in this area, ideally close to the SR for the more experienced skiers.

We've priced up Alta Badia but it's coming in a bit expensive (ca £2,100 HB, with passes, lessons, hire etc) so we need to look at saving a few pounds, for comparisons I think last year was ca. £1,400 all in.

Canazei - I don't think this would be good for our nervous skier, a bit dull as she can get about on blues but wouldn't be keen on steeper reds so couldn't get too far (I can't see her doing the SR).

So Val Gardena - we've never stayed there but know the area to ski through. Has anyone been there with a nervous skier? did it go ok ? The ski school area seems fine.

thanks

Try looking at La Villa - cheaper than San Cassiano or Corvara but equally well placed for Alta Badia . Plus some pleasant and quiet local slopes too .
Definitely a better option for a nervous skier than Selva which has steep unavoidable slopes whichever way you go.
I do not think any package operators go there though - so would be DIY . We flew into Innsbruck and its about 2 hours transfer over the Brenner pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sheffskibod, thanks. Actually we plan to stay a week in La Villa before we meet the others.

TBH I'm trying to avoid DIY, I've done that 3 out of the last 4 years but someone always drops out and leaves me sorting out the mess, if it ends up being family and close friends then we'll DIY otherwise they can pair up and sort their own messes out Happy It's a decent option though as is san Cassiano.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richb67 wrote:
Hi,

thanks

Yes, we have been there a lot; the first two time we went to Val G my wife filled the "nervous skier" role. I would say, based on her experience, that it is not good for nervous skiers. It's basically 95 percent intermediate, 2 percent beginner and 3 percent blacks. The problem is that it's not easy to get to the easier runs (Monte Pana, Alpe di Siusi) and the home and connecting runs can be deadly for those who aren't able to control their speed on hardpack/ice/low light.

The ski school area is quite limited to the drags in Selva (yes, if you do a week it moves up to Monte Pana, but that's a wonky bus ride or drive). I just don't think Val G offers enough easy terrain for nervous skiers. Note that I'm not saying it's bad for beginners or low intermediates -- plenty of folks are confident beginners who can progress quickly.
snow conditions
thanks, pretty much what I though re nervous skiers but good to get a sanity check.
ski holidays
I was in Santa Cristina last Jan , very easy to reach selva / Ortisei by bus they are not frequent so you need to keep an eye on the timetable. Alpe di suisi slopes are gentle and wide, we enjoyed our two days there and I think the area would suit your friend. Agree with the others about ciampinoi, for me is the moguls the main issue. Jan 22 I was in san Cassiano with inghams and had the best holiday ever, the snow was perfect and the slopes / hotel amazing. I noticed that prices have gone up so much for Alta badia wish there was a bit more hotel choices available, maybe a self catering or something less posh. We are considering drei zinnen this jan, the hotels are within our budgets and looking at the map there are a good number of blue runs as well as been connected to kronplatz.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy