Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan trip 2024 advice

Poster: A snowHead
planning a Japan trip next year.Have looked at previous threads and as it is so new to me, am going round in circles a little with options....so thought I would put it out there and see if any words of wisdom on snow heads. Skiing level-advanced on piste, fair amount of experience of power in Canada,new to Japan.
Have booked a white rooms tour based in Niseko then on to Otaru,then we are hoping to stay on for another week on Hokkaido (middle of Feb)for the skiing part.Looking for suggestions for where to base ourselves for the next part, to experience a bit more of what Hokkaido has to offer. The idea is to try and expose ourselves to powder and culture and likely be looking to book more guiding. I am wondering about Furano .Any advice would be very gratefully received. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a snorkel Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve been on 5 Whiteroom tours, and you won’t go far wrong with them.

I really like Furano itself (I had my best ever days skiing there in chest deep powder), and there are plenty of other resorts within a hour or so radius. Whiteroom also have an office there, so would be able to offer advice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which tour are you doing?

Name?
Which resorts?

Which resorts/areas in Canada did you enjoy?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As we are new to Japan -decided to start with a powder progression tour . We are based in Niseko for 6 days then Otaru -I’m not sure which specific resorts will ski at as I’m sure that will depend on conditions .
Mostly skied in Fernie -and enjoy hunting out the untracked stuff -did a couple of Cat skiing days there .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hang11 wrote:
Take a snorkel Very Happy

Ha, but which model is best for Japow? Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hang11, Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Myfanwy wrote:
As we are new to Japan -decided to start with a powder progression tour . We are based in Niseko for 6 days then Otaru -I’m not sure which specific resorts will ski at as I’m sure that will depend on conditions .
Mostly skied in Fernie -and enjoy hunting out the untracked stuff -did a couple of Cat skiing days there .

Cool

Will be a good tour most probably taking in the Niseko United resorts; Niseko Moiwa; Rusutsu; Kiroro; Otaru Tenguyama; Sapporo Kokusai; and maybe Sapporo Teine
Depends on conditions

If SW Hokkaido is getting the goods and Central Hokkaido is struggling, then I would be inclined to stay put and ski additional days in the resorts you've already skied and/or try the ones you haven't

If Central Hokkaido is getting the goods then it would be worth heading there to ski very different areas

Your own transport would be essential to make the most of what's on offer

Basing yourself in Furano as suggested would work

So too the city of Asahikawa - more choice of hotels, restaurants, and bars. And definitely a more Japanese experience

Mt Racey, Kamui Ski Links, Pippu, Asahidake, Kurodake, Furano, Tomamu, Sahoro to choose from in that area
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike Pow, cheers for this. I am happy to hire a car once the tour is over.Do you think its possible to leave things til last minute re booking accommodation in eg Furano or Asahikawa (this wasnt on my radar -so thanks will look at it)-ie wait til we know what conditions are like,or is that not possible/too risky in ski high season (the would be week beginning 6th Feb)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Myfanwy wrote:
@Mike Pow, cheers for this. I am happy to hire a car once the tour is over.Do you think its possible to leave things til last minute re booking accommodation in eg Furano or Asahikawa (this wasnt on my radar -so thanks will look at it)-ie wait til we know what conditions are like,or is that not possible/too risky in ski high season (the would be week beginning 6th Feb)

Shouldn't be a problem for Asahikawa

Could be more difficult for Furano as those dates coincide with Chinese New Year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mike Pow, thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PowderAdict, good to know!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're hiring a car, make sure you get a proper international drivers licence with the official Japanese translation, and take the paper copy to show the car hire place - they won't hire a car to you without that. Can't help with how to do that in the UK, but for me in NZ, it's about 35 bux from the AA to get it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, drivers licence situation depends where the OP is coming from and what type of drivers permit he holds. There are two ways for this - depending on the OP permit issuing country - either a translation (9 countries in total affected in total) or obtaining an international drivers permit from OP’s issuing country and then no need for a translation. All depends on Geneva vs Vienna convention under which international drivers permit is issued.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hang11, @mooney058, thanks guys-will add this to my long list of "Japan research to do list"
snow conditions
I'm in UK
ski holidays
Myfanwy wrote:
I'm in UK
and holding UK issued drivers permit?

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html#:~:text=Foreigners%20can%20drive%20in%20Japan,three%20consecutive%20months%20in%20between.

Or here

https://english.jaf.or.jp/driving-in-japan/drive-in-japan
snow conditions
@mooney058, yes a UK licence.thanks for the links.So l would need to get an international licence.
snow conditions
@Myfanwy, indeed. It is issued by the UK. No need for translations by the JAF.
latest report
Myfanwy wrote:
@mooney058, yes a UK licence.thanks for the links.So l would need to get an international licence.

Easy enough, from the Post Office

Fill out a form, take your UK licence, passport just in case, something with your address on it

Takes about 10 mins

Around £10
snow report
@Myfanwy, make sure you get the version of the International Driving Permit that is accepted by Japan as there are at least three versions available.

Looks like Japan needs the 1949 version according to this

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit
ski holidays
@ster, Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy