Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bumming where and how?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I probably won't have any commitments from august till mid march, thus coming to the obvious conclusion that I should plan a season (or should I say half season) somewhere between December and March.
I am not planning to work during the season both as it seems like a it would be less fun and also as I'm coming from Israel so I won't have a working visa.

I have started thinking about it and I have some questions:

1) where should I base myself from?

I have read a bit and seems like Chamonix and St Anton are the main recommendations around this forum, in addition Val Thorens seems to be the main hub of Israeli seasonairs (I have yet to decide my preference about being around people from home).
From the few vacations I've had with my family (and granted that's not a big sample size so my perspective is definitely hindered) I seem to prefer Austria over France (I haven't been to Italy or Switzerland but both seem to be less common among seasonairs) yet I'll explore any recommendation.
I should note what im looking for:
In terms of skiing, my technique is pretty trash but I'll ski almost everything on piste, wide reds are probably my favorites. I want to get into off piste riding and touring, planning on taking an avy safety course.
When it comes to the vibe of the resort I'm not big on nightlife, I definitely prefer walking with friends in the park over partying which brings me to my second question.

2) How to socialize during a season?
I feel a bit silly asking this question, but taking into account that partying is one of the social situations I dread most how will I meet people? On the chairlift? I don't mind being alone but I do mind being alone for 90 days.

3) How to find accomadition?
I don't mind a few roommates to bring costs down and also it seems like a good way to meet people.

4) How important is an extensive pass?
I'm attracted to these passes that offer a huge selection of resorts that I'll be able to do day trips to, realistically though taking the train to another resort (assuming it is far) takes lots of time and money. By the way how come Snow card Tirol which includes Solden, Mayrhofen, Ischgl, Kitzbühel and many more resorts is cheaper then the St Anton ski pass.

5) How much should I budget for 90 days or so?
Mostly wondering about accommodation and food (I'll probably cook most days but it can be nice to have decently priced places to eat out) as season pass,flight and gear all are mostly easy to find out online.
p.s. how much is avy training course and should I look for specific course (for certification for example?)

Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meeting people… what languages do you speak well? Or would like to speak well at the end of your 9 month sabbatical?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc, I don't see myself learning a new language in the foreseeable future so English and Hebrew for now. Also I forgot to mention but I'm 18 years old so less of a sabbatical more like a gap year, or as we call it in Israel: "few months before the army declares you his property Shocked ".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pick a place. Hit up the local seasonaires Facebook groups, see if you can get in on an apartment share. Then you'll probably have some riding buddies and if they have jobs you'll likely meet others through them. Don't be a dick and be a decent responsible person to ski with ( but not too responsible) and you'll make friends just fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@IhaveAchance, you say “90 days or so”. I believe that 90 days in a 180 day period is maximum you can stay in the EU without an EU passport or considerable screwing around with the relevant govt department to get a longer visa. I am sure there are people on this forum who have looked into it and have better information.

If you decide on St Anton, you will have a ball. The Arlberg area is so big that there is plenty to keep you entertained for 90 days. I spend 10 weeks there each year now. Never bored!

Staying in St Anton itself will probably be quite expensive unless you get lucky to find shared accomm that meets your needs. You might consider staying further down the valley, eg Pettneu. Those villages are well-served by ski buses, so getting to/from StA is not a big deal.

There is a big seasonaire community in StA, so a good chance of finding likeminded people. There is Facebook group for locals & seasonaires.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ulmerhutte wrote:
@IhaveAchance, you say “90 days or so”. I believe that 90 days in a 180 day period is maximum you can stay in the EU without an EU passport or considerable screwing around with the relevant govt department to get a longer visa. I am sure there are people on this forum who have looked into it and have better information.

Yeah I said "or so" meaning maybe a little less I am aware of the 90 day limit but you did made me realize I have to take into account the days I've spent in the last 180 days (so being careful with going on a family vacation).

Quote:
I spend 10 weeks there each year now. Never bored!

Damn you are living the dream!

Quote:
Staying in St Anton itself will probably be quite expensive unless you get lucky to find shared accomm that meets your needs. You might consider staying further down the valley, eg Pettneu. Those villages are well-served by ski buses, so getting to/from StA is not a big deal.

I am a bit hesitant about staying out of town, correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the center of action and people is in St Anton so staying out of it will be another obstacle into meeting people. Also from a shallow google maps search the bus service seems to stop before the evening so it is somewhat limiting.

Quote:
There is a big seasonaire community in StA, so a good chance of finding likeminded people. There is Facebook group for locals & seasonaires.

That's a big positive, seems like St Anton is the leading Contender right now.

Thank you both @Dave of the Marmottes and @ulmerhutte, that is reassuring
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@IhaveAchance, use an app to calculate your days...the 90 in 180 is rolling so earlier trips drop off. You'll also have to take into account trips you might have planned afterwards
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@IhaveAchance,

I'd recommend you look at 3 Valleys, Paradiski and Espace Kill (aka Tignes-Val d'Isere).
For Tignes:- https://www.chaletchardons.com/en/chalets/tignes-hattiers-longstay-room/ https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/seasonal_apartments Facebook groups 'Tignes Seasonnaires' and 'Tignes Seasonnaires 2023'.
Evolution2 and The Development Center ski schools did free transever training when I was doing seasons in Tignes. Steve Angus would be able to tell you if TDC do the same in Val D'Isere.
Concentrate on getting your on piste technique sorted before heading off-piste.
For meeting people just find the seasonnaire bars, especially at the start of the season, when many people are new to resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@IhaveAchance, Saalbach-Hinterglemm has a big Seasonaire community too. The Salzburger Super Pass covers most of the resorts you mentioned earlier and maybe cheaper than StA when it comes to finding a place to stay. As you are limited by the 90 Day rule, I'd skip Christmas/New Year, come in January and stay until the end of the season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@IhaveAchance, nice plan. TBH I'd expect any of the "big" names to have an active anglophone seasonaire community. But if I was planning a gap year type 3 months I'd be going a bit high and definitely big.

I think I'd be thinking Espace Killy, maybe 3Vs (although bizarrely I've never even visited), definitely Verbier ... don't know Austria at all ... don't think Italy quite hits the seasonaires boxes quite, although I know quite a few folk who did a season in Champoluc and never went back ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kenzie, I have been to pardiski and while I had great fun I wasn't impressed with the way the ski area is connected maybe im overly picky, also the town was pretty dead. The 3 Valleys is certainly an option, especially if I decide I feel like meeting Isrealis. I would take a look on Espace Kill.

Quote:

Concentrate on getting your on piste technique sorted before heading off-piste.

But skiing correctly is so tiring wink

@RedandWhiteFlachau, would you rate Saalbach-Hinterglemm as a worthy alternative to StA or would you consider it mostly for costs (asking as I prefer to grind some more hours back home to have the ultimate experience).

Quote:

As you are limited by the 90 Day rule, I'd skip Christmas/New Year, come in January and stay until the end of the season.

90 days from Jan 1st puts me in March 31th, and there is a good chance I'll have to enlist by mid-end march. So seems like I have to cut back a bit to December.

@under a new name

surprisingly I've never heard about Verbier and once I saw it is in Switzerland I almost dismissed it automatically as it is known to be almost way to expensive over there but I checked the season pass prices and they are very attractive for an 18 yo, I'll have to search a bit to get some perspective about food and accommodation costs in Verbier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@IhaveAchance, from what I hear, you can find accom in Le Chable and that makes things a lot cheaper and you have a direct link into the Medran lifts. Verbier is pretty amazing for lift +a short walk accessed off piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IhaveAchance wrote:

surprisingly I've never heard about Verbier and once I saw it is in Switzerland I almost dismissed it automatically as it is known to be almost way to expensive over there but I checked the season pass prices and they are very attractive for an 18 yo, I'll have to search a bit to get some perspective about food and accommodation costs in Verbier.

I've just spent a month there at the end of the season, so can probably give you a bit of a low down.

It was my first time in Switzerland, and I was surprised at the prices, I didn't think it was as bad as you hear people say. Supermarkets aren't cheap, but they're not ridiculous.

You could stay down in Le Châble as that'll be cheaper than Verbier, and you're around a 12 minute gondola ride up to Verbier in the morning. The gondola stays open until nearly midnight, so you can do the après scene and evening in Verbier and still get home. I think there might even be sporadic bus connections down the hill through the night too, but don't quote me on that. There's plenty of seasonaires down in Le Châble, and many English speakers.

Down in Le Châble you could probably get a shared room for 600-800 CHF a month. Check out the Verbier Seasonaires facebook pages for an idea.

What is pricey in Switzerland was eating out. You're looking around 25 CHF for a pizza. Beers were comparable to drinking in the big French ski resorts.

Verbier isn't the best place to go if you're after miles and miles of pistes, and the lift system isn't the best, it's a bit dated in places. However, if you're after bumps, variables and easily accessed off piste, I can't imagine many better places to go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@IhaveAchance, I know that a lot of the seasonal workers stay down the valley because of cost, but I cannot offer any advice on the social aspect, or night buses, from direct experience. Maybe PM @munich_irish and ask - he seems to stay down there a bit. I stay in Nasserein, which is part of the St Anton Dorf. Lovely part of the world, but $$$.

Check out the Facebook group: “St Anton Crew - Holla at Me”. You don’t need to be a local to join.

Yes, I know that we are living the dream! Very Happy Somehow we did something right and probably some luck was involved! We celebrated 20 years of visiting StA this year, but we are still newbies! There are plenty of people who have been visiting for 30+ years. There is something about this place that draws people back year after year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But skiing correctly is so tiring

On the contrary.....
snow report
@IhaveAchance, Yes, I would rate Saalbach-Hinterglemm as a worthy alternative to StA. St Anton/Lech/Warth is a great ski area but in terms of access, you can hit a lot more terrain from Saalbach with better transport links.
snow conditions
Ski Bumming & Social

There is a Huge diference between Ski Bums who work to get through the season & those that just come out for a 4-5 month Hoilday.

The ones on a long paid up Holiday get treated the same as Tourists ...

Real Skibums & their employers very quickly distinguish the two ..

IF your Skiing everyday & the Working Ski Bum only gets out once a week and a few hours here and there ... you will not fit into the crowd ....

Best to find others like yourself but in St Anton these are likely to be people in their 40yrs+++

Unless you have (can show a work contract) accomodation will be charged at Tourists rates no matter for how long ...So a small apartment in (St Anton for example) could set you back a minimum €10000 for the season ....

I know someone who spent €22000 for last season on a small place in the centre of St Anton ..

BTW. St Anton is not a cheap ski area for anything .!!

We are expecting quite substantial increases €€€ in Accomodations for next season ..and stil awaiting next seasons Lift Ticket Prices..

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164688

Anyway hope it helps
ski holidays
@IhaveAchance,
If you didn't like the way Paradiski is connected then you're going to be super disappointed if you do 90 days in an unlinked ski area. Also you were disappointed with the 'town' (which village?) being 'dead', yet you've stated nightlife is not what you are looking for - make your mind up.
Given you have to be finished by mid March go to one of the large, high resorts so snow should be OK early December.
The advice about getting your technique sorted on piste before venturing off-piste is serious. You are going for 90 days then two or three weeks getting your technique sorted out isn't that much out of three months, or do you want to spend your season in hospital/dead?
If you choose Espace Killy (and I would - I did 4 seasons in Tignes as a ski bum) check out the Naturides - pistes that are checked by the piste patrol, but unbashed - handy half way to off-piste skiing.
Oh, and here for Steve Angus:- https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=9160
ski holidays
@Kenzie,
Quote:

I did 4 seasons in Tignes as a ski bum

Just for, y'know, the avoidance of doubt, have you done any seasons anywhere else? Not suggesting that EK is not a pretty brilliant area, but I'd defo be looking at Verbier but then again it's all about the off piste (although isn't that all about the EK too?) also, Cham probs isn't likely to be right up the OP's strasse, but oddly enough, we have quite a few bums here too wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 20-05-23 8:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@stanton,
I didn't have any problem as a ski bum seasonnaire with working seasonnaires. We got the same deals in the bars, restaurants, ski shops etc. To be honest the workers were keen to chat with us - not least as we had the up to date info on where to ski! snowHead
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Worked a season in Meribel.
ski holidays
@Kenzie, nah, Meribel doesn’t count NehNeh NehNeh full of Sloane Rangers and associated hangers-on*

* I have to admit that I have never been to the 3Vs and my prejudices may be a tad dated Laughing Laughing
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Kenzie, nah, Meribel doesn’t count NehNeh NehNeh full of Sloane Rangers and associated hangers-on*

* I have to admit that I have never been to the 3Vs and my prejudices may be a tad dated Laughing Laughing

It was 1996/97 & yes it was - trustiferians. But some of us were working class, especially at the Ronnie, where I worked.
latest report
Quote:

So a small apartment in (St Anton for example) could set you back a minimum €10000 for the season

oof that's tough.

@Kenzie,
Quote:

you're going to be super disappointed if you do 90 days in an unlinked ski area

Are you referring to a StA? cause it is something I've wondered about, the lifts seems to be all over the place and not necessarily in a way that is efficient to explore the area. I guess that when doing a season the ease of getting between points on the mountain would be of less concern to me as I'll have ton of time to explore the entire area (I like to explore as many different areas as I can, so when I go to a single week in which me and my family do at least 3 days of lessons it's somewhat "important" for me to be able to arrive easily to different places). You pretty much made me realize though that it shouldn't be a top concern when doing a season.

Btw I stayed in arc 1800 and my main complaint about conncectivity is that the lift don't really get from bottom to the top, for example to get from piesey back to 1800 you take peisey 61 but because it doesn't get all the way to the top you have more or less one option to get back without taking another lift, often going through a narrow flat blue. Another good example, is carrelley which could have been the perfect chairlift to get to the side of 1950 had it started all the way in 1800 and not about 50 meters above it.
I did do two days in la plagne and found the lifts there to be beautifully connected for the most part.

I think what I call connectivity is mostly the ease of mind knowing I don't need to plan too much in order to "advance" in the direction I'm heading to.
Also what is up with not numbering the pistes and only calling them by their name, it is another hardle in planing your route.

Quote:

Also you were disappointed with the 'town' (which village?) being 'dead', yet you've stated nightlife is not what you are looking for - make your mind up.

You're right that's bad on my part, I didn't search for bars or clubs so I can't even comment on them, but the "streets" felt much less lively than mayrhofen for example in which there were always a lot of people and a lot of cool places to eat in, looking for a decent place to eat in 1800 without reservation was pretty hard.

Quote:

The advice about getting your technique sorted on piste before venturing off-piste is serious. You are going for 90 days then two or three weeks getting your technique sorted out isn't that much out of three months, or do you want to spend your season in hospital/dead?

Well I understand that, I'm not planning to venture into anything steep or technical (nor even easy off piste terrain without anyone I can trust to know his shitt) before I feel confident doing so (and that might not even be in the span of the season for all I know). All in all I enjoy life and I don't have any plans on ending it (or the lifestyle I enjoy) prematurely.
I do assume that skiing with locals will improve my technique. Currently I'm skiing with my family and I have the benefit of being the most comfortable on skis and the most fit of us, thus never really pushing myself doing hard routes and having a lot of time to rest my muscles waiting for them, so I can practice bad technique without really suffering from any consequences.

Quote:

check out the Naturides - pistes that are checked by the piste patrol, but unbashed - handy half way to off-piste skiing.

I did a few of those in les arc this year and they were the mouglist piste I have ever done, great fun and one of the few times I pushed myself making my lack of technique really obvious.

Quote:

I didn't have any problem as a ski bum seasonnaire with working seasonnaires. We got the same deals in the bars, restaurants, ski shops etc. To be honest the workers were keen to chat with us - not least as we had the up to date info on where to ski!

honestly I might be naive but I don't really think it will be a problem either
ski holidays
@IhaveAchance, the Arlberg is well-linked. You can ski, via linked lifts, from St Anton at one end to Warth at the other end. St Anton, St Christoph, Stuben, Zug, Zürs, Lech, and Warth are all lift-connected.

No need to go on buses, unless you want to shortcut to some point, eg you might want to spend the whole day in Warth/Schröcken, so you might consider getting an early bus to Lech. I usually ski across. If you start in Nasserein at lift open, and go at a reasonable pace, you should get to Warth around 11-ish. I enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

The exceptions are Schröcken and Sonnenkopf/Klösterle. You can ski down to Schröcken, but need to catch a bus to get back to the Saloberjet. There is a bus every 15 min. Sonnenkopf, though on the Arlberg ski pass, is its own ski area. You catch a free bus from Stuben to get there. It is essentially a "local's mountain" and well-worth visiting on a clear day, especially after new snow. The untracked/lightly-tracked powder there can last a full day or two.
snow report
A lot of skiers are into bumming. Keep a look out for anyone driving a bmw or Audi, wearing norona/arc terryx, complaining about snowboarders etc etc and they will be a prime candidate for that kind of fun.
latest report
@IhaveAchance,
Only planning to do 90 days will cause a few problems, especially as you need to get home by mid-March, latest. To get the most out of those 90 days you'll be restricted to high resorts that open early & get decent early snow (on average - every season's different).
Also season accommodation is for the season, so you'll be looking for someone who has spare bed(s) in their accommodation, or a company that does long term beds lets (such as Chalet Chardons linked in my earlier post, but also look at youth hostels and UCPA. Dragon Lodge in Tignes may also be worth a look). If going down the company route get in there quick, or you may find them block booked out during the 90 day period you are looking for.
A few reasons for being in resort early in the season ( or the start of the season , if you can). There will be lots of people new to resort rocking up looking to make friends. The slopes should be quiet helping you to find your way around. And I can't say for all resorts, but for Tignes & Val d'Isere this is an ideal time to get free transceiver training from the ski schools, plus ang free skiing lessons they may offer for seasonnaires (usually on a first come, first served basis).
If you can, choose a ski area with others nearby for the opportunity to have 'away days'.
I'm going to recommend the resorts I think you concentrate your search on, largely based on early opening, but also because English is widely spoken (joke - "How do you spot a foreigner in the Espace Killy?" "They'll be speaking French").
Espace Killy
Zermatt/Cervinia
Three Valleys
Paradiski

You'll note that the three French areas are very close together (away days), and have a couple of smaller ski areas close by too. Close enough to ski off-piste between some of them - the Tarentaise Tour and the trips down to Bonneval-sur-Arc that Steve Angus runs being two examples.
Good luck, and don't worry overly about finding accommodation - it tends to be a problem for any first timer not employed by someone willing to help with it/offering it as part of the employment package.
latest report
Hey - welcome to the Alpine way of life!

Be careful, you'll love it and never want to leave! Eh oh! I live in La Plagne (Paradiski).

I wrote a series of articles recently about how to work and live in the Alps. It's aimed more at seasonnaires working with tour operators or bars etc., but you will likely find some of it useful. What to expect, how to find accommodation etc etc. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions. Eh oh!

Eh oh! ️https://thatslaplagne.com/how-to-work-ski-season/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy