Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working a season - France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@OuatteDePhoque,
That resort rep getting 350 euro/month. That will be after there has been a reduction for accommodation, food, ski pass, ski insurance, travel from UK to Morzine & back, and possibly ski/snowboard & boots hire for the season.

All of which is 100% ILLEGAL. Confirming my original point.

The minimum wage is the LEGAL MINIMUM you can be paid.
If other perks are provided on top of this, then these are ON TOP, not deducted from the minimum wage.
Furthermore the employer must pay cotisations on these perks too, so if you get accommodation provided, then that is considered a benefit in kind and the employer should 67% of the value of this which when we paid it was based on a notional value of 500 EUR pcm. Likewise meals are valued @ 10.40 euros a day.

These is covered here:
https://boss.gouv.fr/portail/accueil/avantages-en-nature-et-frais-pro/avantages-en-nature.html#:~:text=Section%201%20%2D%20D%C3%A9finition%20et%20modalit%C3%A9s%20d'%C3%A9valuation,-100&text=En%20application%20de%20l'article,10%2C40%20euros%20par%20journ%C3%A9e.

Lets pretend for a moment that the TO is actually paying 1400 and the employee is getting meals and accommodation, then the monthly cotisation should be around 67% of 2200 Euros, so thats about 1474 in cosisation on top of the 1400. So just shy of 3k per month before you look at lift pass, insurance, equipment and travel perks.

I'm not saying that some TO don't do this, but the employees I spoke to the season just passed, definitely did not get any where near 1400 pm.

It isn't even about the money, as it's an awesome way to spend a / several season(s), any most people are super happy with the package, but it is about respecting the laws of the country in which you are operating.

Once you start normalising the breaking of employment law and not respecting the minimum wage, to use skiing parlance - it's a very slippery slope. Especially as the people who suffer are generally those at the bottom end of the pay structures.

You are getting hold of the wrong end of the stick. TOs pay their staff, with tax & NI reductions. From the net amount they then take money for the package. In effect the employee is paying for that package.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kenzie, I didn't think TOs (in France anyway?) could operate staff on (e.g.) uk contracts these days? At least, not correctly?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name,
Don't know about the UK contract issue - perhaps Frosty might know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kenzie, That sounds like a UK contract.
These were barely illegal in France, even before Brexit.
We spoke with French employment lawyers in 2004, and their interpretation was that if the service is delivered in a place open to the public, then you needed a French contract. If it was a private place, not open to the public, then non French contracts might be tolerated using the Posted worker loophole.

Like @under a new name, says, you can't do that anymore since Brexit, because Posted Workers MUST have the same working conditions as in the host country.
Which from the example you give is clearly not the case.

And even if you could, why would you when there are plenty of jobs offering 100% legal French contracts with better pay and conditions?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How it worked for my son, working for a UK chalet operation was that they were paid under legal French T&Cs and then paid for there accommodation. Chalet board was only for 5 days, so they got 2 days off. Worked about 6 hrs per day, but long days on transfer day.

A far better deal than in the past. It seems not all operators offer deals that good
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy