Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Child wants to give up skiing

Poster: A snowHead
If you focus on the positives, rather than the less than positive elements. Then theres lots of ways to run with this.
First up, the previous experience has made your daughter do something she doesn't enjoy - good to get used to this early in life as it's a recurrent theme later on in life.
Second, failure is great, especially at an early age as you dont waste time money and effort chasing something that ultimately you don't value.
Thirdly its an opportunity to do something fun as a family, rather than in separate lessons.
Learning to snowboard together as a family with an instructor would be a fantastic bonding and shared experience. Which 10 year old kids wouldn't love seeing mum and dad falling on their ar5es every 30 seconds. Unless you can already board - she will definitely be better than you. Not only will this make her happy and restore her confidence, but elevate her to uber cool.
It just seems like an awesome opportunity to do something genuinely together as a family, rather than her doing ski school without you.

Just an aside about ESF. It's not a ski school, but an umbrella organisation of 100's of ski schools, but they use a common syllabus and testing, so the experience of one ESF may not be reflected in another. One common feature is that Friday test - there is a reasonable ( though maybe unpopular) belief that you do need to measure things to decide if progress is being made. So there is an obligation for them to run tests so there is an objective measure of success. If you're paying to get better at skiing, then the school needs a way of demonstrating some for of progress, and the Friday test, along with the Fleche and Chamois are their objective measuring mechanisms.

Boarding is measured on how much fun you have, how many bruises you can get in a day, how much your cheeks ache from laughing and smiling and how quickly you can learn to say "Whooooa - sorry dude" in 4 languages. Not by some crappy 8 Euro badge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some people, even when they have the ability, just don't want to continue with the activity. My elder son skied from the age of 6 to 17, mostly one week a year. He was easily the most able of us and is quite sporty but was never that entranced by skiing although still came with us and skied to a good standard. He didn't like group lessons so we gave those up (I never liked them either) and he had private lessons with my other son now and then. At 18 he decided he didn't want to ski again and, now 35, never has since.

So, it's not necessarily ability, you have to actually enjoy the activity, don't you. My other son, who had been given the same opportunities and treated the same loves skiing, as do I and still comes with us sometimes. I hope it works out for the OP as it's great if all the family can enjoy an activity.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always try to give my 9yo the illusion of success. Provided he’s behaving safely then I make sure he feels like he’s an amazing skier.

If he does anything unsafe I’m on it straight away but otherwise it’s all high fives and whooping.

This is much easier with private lessons because I can talk to the instructor in advance although most get it straight away.

If you go skiing with her again my advice is get private lessons and spend the rest of the time skiing with her on runs she is happy with. Always stay behind her so she can dictate the pace. Use the time to have a positive experience with her and keep pointing out when she skis well.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-05-23 9:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
adoption?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I added some advice earlier in this thread, and many others have said similar things.

I would add that the French system is more designed for how French people ski. I.e. families have been going to the same resort every year since the grandparents were nippers. It is simply expected that everyone will ski. And most of the kids will migrate to some form of ski racing at some point, as that is considered the end point. The French view the grading system a necessary and useful given that end goal, and fully expect some grades to take more than 1 week of skiing to achieve. It is not designed with 1 week a year foreign skiers in mind, and is not ideal for them.

I would avoid ESF for anybody other than beginners. Some of the schools are excellent, and some kids do very well with them, but in general the system is not ideal for holiday skiers.

Consider other, independent, ski schools that use a more informal rating system. Private instruction is even better in most cases (although some kids enjoy being part of a group more).

Most important is not to see ski school for the kids as a way of freeing time for yourself to go skiing. If you want your children to enjoy winter holidays then invest the time with them when they are wee, and be willing to adapt your own expectations and schedule to suit. If they have had enough skiing after morning lessons, for example, take them off to do something different in the afternoon. Not only will you enjoy spending that time with them, but it will pay massive dividends in the long-term.

I am sorry to say that I see and hear this too often, where parents are unhappy if their kids are not progressing through the grades quickly (or worse when parents boast about how they kids are progressing), when the real measure is how much they are enjoying the whole experience. Worst of all can be the drive to get as much "adult" time as possible with kids in all day ski school/childcare, separate evening meals/supervision, staying in a hotel or chalet where the kids have no space of their own. If you stand back and look at that from a kids perspective it's not great when what they often really crave is time and attention from their parents and a holiday where their enjoyment is as important as anyone else's (ideally more important).

Consider also going somewhere other than France. Other cultures have a different attitude to children which might be closer to our own. Go self-catering so the children have space of their own to play and relax in. Holiday as a family and maximise the time spent together. Put your own skiing on the back-burner when the kids are small. You will more likely end up with a family of competent skiers who enjoy winter holidays together that way. As as they grow in age and confidence they will naturally become more independent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zikomo wrote:
I added some advice earlier in this thread, and many others have said similar things.

I would add that the French system is more designed for how French people ski. I.e. families have been going to the same resort every year since the grandparents were nippers. It is simply expected that everyone will ski. And most of the kids will migrate to some form of ski racing at some point, as that is considered the end point. The French view the grading system a necessary and useful given that end goal, and fully expect some grades to take more than 1 week of skiing to achieve. It is not designed with 1 week a year foreign skiers in mind, and is not ideal for them.

I would avoid ESF for anybody other than beginners. Some of the schools are excellent, and some kids do very well with them, but in general the system is not ideal for holiday skiers.

Consider other, independent, ski schools that use a more informal rating system. Private instruction is even better in most cases (although some kids enjoy being part of a group more).

Most important is not to see ski school for the kids as a way of freeing time for yourself to go skiing. If you want your children to enjoy winter holidays then invest the time with them when they are wee, and be willing to adapt your own expectations and schedule to suit. If they have had enough skiing after morning lessons, for example, take them off to do something different in the afternoon. Not only will you enjoy spending that time with them, but it will pay massive dividends in the long-term.

I am sorry to say that I see and hear this too often, where parents are unhappy if their kids are not progressing through the grades quickly (or worse when parents boast about how they kids are progressing), when the real measure is how much they are enjoying the whole experience. Worst of all can be the drive to get as much "adult" time as possible with kids in all day ski school/childcare, separate evening meals/supervision, staying in a hotel or chalet where the kids have no space of their own. If you stand back and look at that from a kids perspective it's not great when what they often really crave is time and attention from their parents and a holiday where their enjoyment is as important as anyone else's (ideally more important).

Consider also going somewhere other than France. Other cultures have a different attitude to children which might be closer to our own. Go self-catering so the children have space of their own to play and relax in. Holiday as a family and maximise the time spent together. Put your own skiing on the back-burner when the kids are small. You will more likely end up with a family of competent skiers who enjoy winter holidays together that way. As as they grow in age and confidence they will naturally become more independent.

totally agree.
However i have to mention that
1. i didnt find the FR System so bad. The badges are nonsence ok, but the make the groups as better as possible. To be honest i found it better in FR than in AUT , and in the same level as ITA or Switzerland.
However as i mention we book only half day for the kids. From 9.30 till 12.15 usually and then eat together, and skiing the rest of the day together.
2. our kids as you said like to be with a groupd of other kids. They think they make "skiing friends". If we ask them if the want the whole day or half day, probably the say the whole day, but we are the one we dont want that. And as mentioned, every kid is different. We as parents have to find the right approach
3. This story with a group course, where one or more kids are struggling to keep in the same rythm with the other kids, and at the end of the week are dissapointed, frustrated and dont want to ski any more i saw it many times in Austrian ski schools. And i think that the problem in AUT is that the do not prioritase the qualifications of each kid. The say novice - intermmediate - advance.
But a kid which can ski a red slope with only snowplough sometimes is in a group with kids who can ski only blue slopes (and then it is ok) or in a group with kids who are a level above (paraller etc) . And that is leading 100% to a disaster.

However here everyone is talking according to personal experiences. It is definitely a not "one way approach".
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From my experience a couple of private lessons combined with child focussed skiing time together has been far better for my son.

The clincher was when we spent too long on lunch on a powder day and missed the start of his group lessons. We skied down to a lift and managed to find his group. As soon as he realised we found them he went from happy to very upset. At that point I took him off and we stayed out the whole afternoon skiing together in the powder on the edge of the pistes. He loved it and wanted to stay out until the absolute last lift. We only looped the easy blue runs but it's one of my fondest memories.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think if we do go skiing again (and it is now looking like 2025 as we're expecting a huge electrician's bill for a rewire) we will get up when we feel like it, breakfast in a leisurely fashion, ski and/or and do a non-ski activity, then afternoon private lessons if she's interested. The rush and faff in the early morning for group lessons feels like a normal work/school day for all of us, not a holiday. My other half sometimes pauses mid-boot-putting-on and asks 'Why are we doing this, again?'

She really likes to be with other children and loved the chalet holidays we went on, so I think that's what we would do accommodation-wise. That would compensate for her not being in group lessons.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The rush and faff in the early mornings i solve it with booking in FR.
When someone comes from AUT, where you have to wake up, eat, take tha car, drive till the parking, find an empty place, then the boot-putting outside the car (sometimes when snowing etc) and then walk till the lifts, and on the other hand you have an appartment in France 50 m from the ski school meeting point, is looks like relaxing holidays for me and the kids.
Definitely i do not advice someone for the opposite way (from France to Austria) unless you dont bother to pay too much for ski in ski out in AUT
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@turms2, Plenty of places in Austria where the slopes are close to accommodation (and plenty of great places where it is not). There are also plenty of places in Italy and Switzerland with ski in/ski out or near to. It simply depends what is important to you.

The ESF system is in no way bad. It is just not really designed for 1 week a year UK based skiers.

All kids are indeed different.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

My other half sometimes pauses mid-boot-putting-on and asks 'Why are we doing this, again?'

Laughing On our first family ski holidays we were all beginners so no question of "skiing together". Yes, it was a mission. But although it was Austria it was self-catering and easy reach of the ski school meeting place (st Oswald). And I strongly agree that kids like to ski with other kids - sometimes lessons can be great for that, but it's a bit of a lottery. The holidays my kids (and now grandchildren) have enjoyed the most has been when several families get together and/or they are skiing with friends and/or cousins. That includes the latest holiday in April when I had 8 grandchildren, including two beginners who had 4 private lessons together (despite age difference - 5 and 11!) and by the end of the week skied with their 5 older cousins, much to the joy of them all. And thanks to the competence of my son in law (a PE teacher) and daughter who looked after them. And me, one day when I skied as "sweeper" with the two who'd had lessons. Only had to help each of them up once but my exceptionally good skier son skied backwards into a snow cannon (because he was trying to get his whizzy daughter to slow down and turn a bit...) and badly hurt himself - he's still not right, very sore ribs. Wally.

When people ask about resort and accommodation advice on SHs I always stress the need to be within very easy reach of the ski school meeting place. We have always done self-catering or, in the earlier days, low-cost catered chalets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zikomo wrote:
@turms2, Plenty of places in Austria where the slopes are close to accommodation (and plenty of great places where it is not). There are also plenty of places in Italy and Switzerland with ski in/ski out or near to. It simply depends what is important to you.

The ESF system is in no way bad. It is just not really designed for 1 week a year UK based skiers.

All kids are indeed different.

yes there are a lot. But for us i found the most of them really expensive. Few years ago was better. Nowadays the prices in Aut and S.Tirol are heading always the way up.

About the ski schools, i think that all the schools are relative ok for 1 or more week pro year skiers.
Only the expectations has someone to keep them relative low.

But generally is also a matter of luck....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We always used the ESI rather than ESF in Les Saisies and I got to know a few of the instructors quite well (I had lessons myself with a couple of them, and cross country lessons too). We mostly used small kids groups (a lot more expensive, obviously) and sometimes private lessons. But always with a view to getting the kids up to the sort of level where they were OK skiing with the rest of us - and when we had our place I did a great deal of airport transfer driving, ferrying kids to and from lessons (not to mention paying for the lessons) and shopping and cooking. It was all part of having the place, and if you have active grandparents they can be extremely useful. On our first family holiday we took my mother, who helped with the 4 year old, cooked lunches for us all (I cooked dinner for us all) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Just a nuclear family, with small kids in morning ski school, even if you are near the meeting place, is hard work. Just getting all the mittens and neck warmers and choc bars and last minute wees sorted out is a mission before you get anywhere near the actual lesson! A lot of families clearly appreciate the support in places like Ski Esprit where there are nannies to get kids to ski school etc. We never used them, not because we didn't approve but because they were too expensive. I think our kids would have enjoyed the company. We never had a "nuclear family" holiday - and we all enjoyed the company in catered chalets, or with my sister and family, and other friends, in self-catering accommodation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathyAuLait wrote:
Long post, but I feel for your daughter (and you). I see similar situations so many times in resort. Confidence comes from skill and experience. Risky/scary skiing comes from a lack of skill and lack of enough experience to make good decisions. Unfortunately as skiing is a male dominated leisure activity, speed, strength and courage feature heavily in the marketing. It’s a huge generalisation but generally (don’t shoot me down) women don’t like the feeling of being out of control, whereas men do. That feeling starts are your skis turn into the fall line and naturally accelerate. As the turn is completed and the skis slow down the feeling decreases. So at any level, from beginner to advanced, once women understand and can control their speed by using the arc of the turn they are happier. Men are generally taller, heavier and stronger, and thus on longer skis so, everything else being equal, they will ski faster than women even if they lack the skills to do so. Fear usually means there is a lack of skill and experience and a strong sense of self preservation! I am the biggest coward but happily ski down anything perfectly adequately because I have had enough good coaching and the chance to learn to assess things for myself and I never try to keep up with the blokes in the group. You don’t get skill from a week of group lessons at half term - that’s childcare. Nor will there be much if any progression in 1 week a year. It’s about a holiday experience. Lessons shouldn’t be scary! Sounds like your daughter has a good sense of self preservation and had a rubbish instructor last time. Although she has skied a few weeks, she has had 6 yrs of physical development, so each week on skis will be different. Private lessons with a female instructor who has been briefed to provide mountain skills and fun in equal measure? No stars, no steep pistes, just fun, games and learning. Not cheap, but worth it. It will probably be in the afternoon so mornings could be pottering about on slopes she likes, consolidating and exploring. Trips to a dry slope during the autumn may also be well worth it if you find an instructor who teaches the person rather than by rote. I hope she learns to love the mountain environment again. Along the way she’ll learn about herself and that’s priceless.

+2
We can heartily recommend MrsAngus at Val d'isere, though I'm sure SteveAngus could give the kind of lessons mentioned above. Men can have empathy too you know.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oldschool72 wrote:
I think if we do go skiing again (and it is now looking like 2025 as we're expecting a huge electrician's bill for a rewire) we will get up when we feel like it, breakfast in a leisurely fashion, ski and/or and do a non-ski activity, then afternoon private lessons if she's interested. The rush and faff in the early morning for group lessons feels like a normal work/school day for all of us, not a holiday. My other half sometimes pauses mid-boot-putting-on and asks 'Why are we doing this, again?'

She really likes to be with other children and loved the chalet holidays we went on, so I think that's what we would do accommodation-wise. That would compensate for her not being in group lessons.

This is the mindset I've come to now, I think. At Easter, when I was dragging two exhausted kids out of bed so they could make their 0915 meet time, I did think 'this is meant to be fun'. I said to my husband that week that I thought we should move to afternoon lessons next time. He was against the idea as 'they'll just lose the morning on screens'. But he doesn't get up and do the ski school scrum in the mornings, that all falls to me, so quite frankly he doesn't get a say. He can get up and get them there himself if he's so insistent. I rather think that it'll make things much more relaxed and they're more likely to enjoy a nice leisurely morning ski with me if they're not at school until later, or indeed have the morning off if they are so inclined and I can just get myself out of the door. It's a holiday, not bootcamp.
snow conditions
Henwc wrote:
From my experience a couple of private lessons combined with child focussed skiing time together has been far better for my son.

The clincher was when we spent too long on lunch on a powder day and missed the start of his group lessons. We skied down to a lift and managed to find his group. As soon as he realised we found them he went from happy to very upset. At that point I took him off and we stayed out the whole afternoon skiing together in the powder on the edge of the pistes. He loved it and wanted to stay out until the absolute last lift. We only looped the easy blue runs but it's one of my fondest memories.

I might mix and match next year. Son2 would likely benefit from a more relaxed pace of three private lessons rather than 6 group lessons, and lots of time with us just enjoying being out on the snow. We're all too slow for Son1 though, who likes the challenges of moguls, off-piste and blacks. I'm certainly not confident enough to have him doing that with me, I don't think just three afternoons doing it 1:1 will give him that fix and I'm not sure the budget will stretch to a private instructor each for 6 days. So I'm considering putting him in pm group lessons for his daily adrenaline fix under supervision, and Son2 can be more relaxed. I think I'll involve them in the final decision too. By next Easter they'll be coming up 11 and 13. Old enough to have a preference and understand sticking with that choice.
snow report
Thats what we do now. A few strategic privates rather than week long group lessons (the cost increase isnt too bad) . Try to get them in the late morning or afternoons. More intensive than groups and so good bang for buck, no morning dash for the ski school (the odd sleep in doesn't go amiss) and they will wait if you’re a little late. Plus more skiing together over the week (for better or worse!).
latest report
My daughter was ready to ditch skiing at age 9 (started at 6 in ESF) and was lukewarm until age 13, when she decided she liked it. We just told her she didn't need to ski if she didn't want to. Luckily my wife likes skiing even less, so she was happy to hang out with her, maybe do an hour of ski du fond. Now she's happy to do a week a year and is actually quite a good skier, but I wouldn't call her gung-ho...

As a parent I have sometimes forced my children to do things they didn't want to, but optional activities like skiing, better to let it lie. Not worth the hassle. If you don't push the issue too much, they might come around later...just my .02 centimes...
snow report
alternatively if it is possible one option is heading to another country e.g. Italy
I am not 100% sure about the prices at present, but few years ago the private course prices were around 50-60 pro Hour pro person. I suppose it is cheaper as France or some resorts in Austria
except that the weather usually in places like S.Tirol is more pleasant as Tignes or Val Thorens and we all know that kids loves pizza and pasta
not sure but maybe is an option
ski holidays
Interesting how many people are saying she needs better lessons, and as an instructor myself I can't disagree with that, but watching the family groups that have stayed with us over the last 3 or 4 years I'd say that it's much more important to go on holiday with friends of a similar age who will all do stuff together. Playing in the snow, making little sledge runs in the garden, all sorts of non-skiing activities which kids will just do on their own add to the feeling of freedom. In that environment going skiing with those friends and other kids is just one more of the fun things they do together, not something she feels is being forced on her.
ski holidays
Wow...you lot are a caring and loving set of parents...unlike us!

We always went to Flaine:

We went skiing with our kids from babies and put them in all day town creche for residents that could be booked by the week if you knew who to ask.
From 3yrs they went into all day ski school with ESI.
They still talk about the green drink (menthe) and the bean bags and cartoons in the middle of the day resting period.

The deal was that if they behaved they could ski with mum and dad on Friday afternoon.

Skiing was OUR holiday rather than theirs.

They both say now that they didn't like it so much until we went to Canada when they were 11 and 9...they had such a FUN experience with ski school there, much, much more fun orientated than France.
After that we got a place in Switzerland and they started in the Warren Smith academy, they were the first kids he ever allowed into that system...it was excellent, they relished being in a class full of adults.

The tough love style worked out OK...both became working professional ski instructors for a few years until they found their way into "proper" jobs and relationships.
We still all ski together every year, now with their partners too, and they allow mum and dad to ski with them on the last day if we have been good Very Happy

With a bit of luck the whole programme will start over again in a season or two...I'd love to be the ski Grandad.
ski holidays
Getting back on topic I think the idea of all the family learning snowboarding together is an excellent one, I'm absolutely sure that the unhappy child would be transformed by doing that with hopeless parents.
latest report
Quote:

My other half sometimes pauses mid-boot-putting-on and asks 'Why are we doing this, again?'

I ask that myself a few times! Laughing

Skiing is really, really gear intensive. And there’re some part of it not very comfortable. It’s not surprising a lot of people don’t think the good part just aren’t worth all the faff.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Getting back on topic I think the idea of all the family learning snowboarding together is an excellent one, I'm absolutely sure that the unhappy child would be transformed by doing that with hopeless parents.

At the top of every chairlift, it's 'Let Mummy (me) snowboard off the lift by herself so she can discreetly fall over as far out of the way of other people as possible' and Daddy is left being the one responsible for getting daughter off the lift tidily. I can't imagine the offload area carnage if all three of us were on boards!
snow report
abc wrote:
Quote:

I ask that myself a few times! Laughing

Skiing is really, really gear intensive. And there’re some part of it not very comfortable. It’s not surprising a lot of people don’t think the good part just aren’t worth all the faff.

As daft as it sounds, it's really reassuring to read things like this. You see everyone else walking around, and they look like they've got it. That it all feels perfectly natural to them, whilst you're clumping along in huge boots, sweating buckets carrying your skis up the road whilst smiling for the kids that it's 'not far now'. You wonder how everyone else makes it look effortless.

There's a reason why I dropped the kids off at ski school in leggings, a hoody and normal boots every morning both at Christmas and Easter. Much easier to sacrifice 30 minutes of my morning ski time and be able to help them with their kit and then suit up in peace afterwards. Same reason I'm looking at actual ski in/out accommodation that situated higher than ski school for next year.
snow report
Cant believe that nobody has mentioned the glaringly obvious here.... she's probably in the wrong tribe.

Could it, just could it be that she doesn't want to ski anymore because - lets face it - skiing isn't cool in any way shape or form?

If you and your wife are both skiers I would take a long look at yourself in the mirror and ask 'do I look cool to a 9 year old?' lets be honest the answer is going to be 'No'.

Release her from the shackles of ESF nonsense, the horrible hard boots, the clothes that make you look like a C&A rodeo model from 1992... switch her to Snowboarding.

Soft boots, baggy clothes, instant cool vibes in comparison to the stuffy middle class Davos ethos of skiing. No black runs, no getting up early for the 'fresh tracks', just vibes on the slopes avoiding all the skiers standing in the middle of the piste on the brows...

She will pick snowboarding up much quicker than skiing, she wont be a joke/embarrassment to her peers at school, hell, she might even want a skateboard when not on the slopes.

Sometimes people stand sideways Laughing
ski holidays
@ukoldschool, I think we are talking about 9yo girl not a 30+ old man.
latest report
@ukoldschool, Snowboarding is not cool at all for young people. Most boarders I see now are middle-aged.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember a child is for life, not just for Christmas. Don't ditch them in ski school like a dog in kennels so you can have a bit of "me time" but ski with them and do other activities as has been said above, already.
snow report
oldschool72 wrote:
Warmer temperatures may help; she was unhappy about the -15 deg temps in Jan, as she has poor circulation.

Taking a poor thing with poor circulation skiing in January sounds like child cruelty to me. If she's cold, she will never, ever, ever, ever enjoy herself.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Remember a child is for life, not just for Christmas. Don't ditch them in ski school like a dog in kennels so you can have a bit of "me time" but ski with them and do other activities as has been said above, already.

This. Well put.

As a good example I love fly-fishing for salmon (my wife would say obsessed), and I naturally would like it if my children did too. And I very much hope we continue to have shared interests as they grow up and leave home. I don't "force" any of them to do it, the most talented of the lot (daughter) has decided it's not cool/none of her friends do it/she does not like it any more so is not joining us at all right now. Youngest (13) is on the same journey that his two older brothers took. I take him with me often to proper, grown-up fishing where we stand together with him fishing when he feels like it and me having a go when he wants a break. I for sure am getting less fishing as a result. But it's great spending time with him and gives the best opportunity for him to learn and enjoy the sport. I could just farm him out to a guide so I could get on with fishing myself, but we would both miss out on spending time together and I think it much more likely that he will be given the best possible opportunity to decide if it is something he will continue to pursue.
ski holidays
It is ok for a family to have non-optional "stuff we do", like skiing or camping. But if you are going that route and want it to go well, it has to be fun for the kid(s). Most lessons aren't fun. Mom and/or Dad need to invest the time making it fun for the kid(s) and said investment will eventually pay dividends. If the investment isn't made, the dividends aren't paid. For me, that meant grinding it out for a few seasons, skiing with them in the rain, during crowded holiday periods, quitting after three runs, helping them try to ski the powder I'd much rather have been shredding with my mates, etc. But now: I treasure them keeping up, with the confidence they've built which they carry into other aspects of life.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, you are lucky to be at the “them keeping up” phase which will soon move into the “us desperately trying to keep up phase” then the “them planning and looking after us” phase.

We are at the stage where my son wants to do combourcier (a 2 km bump run) non stop where I need the odd breather and he has to wait 15 minutes for me at the bottom. He doesn’t grumble about it too much.

When rock climbing we alternate leads (with my wife often in the middle) except I still take the hardest pitches. It’s not often you see mother, father and son on the same rope and I feel exceedingly proud.
latest report
Indeed. I am skiing rapidly for me, I’ll always be surprised when I look around and he’ll still be behind keeping up, then he will ever so easily cruise past when I am on my ragged edge not wanting to push anymore.

I blame too many good lessons!
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
When rock climbing we alternate leads (with my wife often in the middle) except I still take the hardest pitches. It’s not often you see mother, father and son on the same rope and I feel exceedingly proud.

That's way cool, I'd be proud/happy too!
snow report
If she loses interest in skiing, maybe you can try other sports as a family. Ask her what she wants or try to open up to her about getting a private lesson. Perhaps she'd love it. Smile
snow report
rungsp wrote:
Wow...you lot are a caring and loving set of parents...unlike us!

This sounds remarkably like a, admittedly tongue-in-cheek, interview that Dave Ryding gave about his parents' attitude when he was a kid ... "No, you can't come on our skiing holiday. You're not good enough to keep up and we won't wait for you !". Apparently, after a season practicing on the Dry Slope he was able to keep up Happy.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

I remember a little tot in floods of tears being handed over to daycare in Val d'Isere once. She was in a huge amount of distress and her mother was just so cold towards her, pulling the little girls clutching hands off her jacket and dumping her roughly in the staff member's arms. The poor little mite was screaming 'mummy, please don't go, please don't leave me'.

I saw her mother later in the day on entering a rowdy apres bar. She was half naked from the waist up save for her bra, and proceeded to squirt whipped cream all over her large breasts before putting the head of an willing ESF instructor in between them and jiggling them rapidly from side to side, all to cheers and hand claps of all the other male instructors.

Shameless.

I can see how a child might be a hinderance to someone like her. Jesus T*tty F*cking Christ, she had a pair on her though!
ski holidays
@Hamilton Academical, put your eye out, would they Gerry?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy