Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

this year's kick-@rse piste ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Last year we had so much powder all I needed for the season was my Line Assassin MTX Pros, but this year may be different, and the Assassins and me did not get on great on hard ice… looking for a piste ski that can handle ice and speed, and a bit of skierX.

Any input? (apart from comments on my technique on ice and said issues between me and the assassins!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fancy a GS ski then? My mate in the know says a lot of the skierX racers just use normal WC GS skis with skierX top sheets.

I prefer SL skis for use on piste, but go GS if you prefer bigger turns and higer speeds.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flying squirrel,
A very emotive subject!
Everyone has their fav manufacturer. over the years I've skied and owned Salamon(2), K2(3), Fischer(1), Volkl (1),Rossingol(1), Atomic (1), Hexcel (if you can remember that far back) (1). Currently my main ski is Atomic.

Atomic SXB5 is a genuine 'kick ****', despite being 2-3 yrs old now. Ignore commentsa about weight (unless you are a jessy), the preformance is astounding, Genuine competition level ski available for the masses. Plus the off season deals on these are unbeatable.
I'm sure that late last season I saw the new SX12 which I'm sure will take @rse kicking to a new level, but I've not heard anything on this.

sorry, I've been on snow heads since i arrived at work this morning, I really must go and justify my salary now,

Cheers

Bob
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have heard lots of good things about atomicsx range yeah. never tried them though and having skied lots of sallys, rozzies etc in the past, I fancied something a bit more bullish.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I still enjoy me Atomic SX11s on the rare occasions that I get them out. When I bought them, I found there was a huge difference in performance in the Atomic SX range - the SX9s were pretty awful really but the SX11s are really nice.

I'm about 90kg and have them in a 170cm. That gives a 17m radius which is a good all purpose hard snow radius IMO.

Alternatively you could get some burly off piste skis which will hold an edge better than the Lines (eg Dynastar Legend Pro, Blizzard Titan, Kneissel Tanker)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anything W/C or FIS rated. Or anything high up in the Volkl range. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only ever owned one pair of skis, Atomic SX11 02/03. Still the best skis I've ever used (even though that's not many).
Will go down icy blacks without twitching in the slightest. Can't be caught on the piste, leaving my mates way up the mountain.

Met a French man on a ski lift who said to me "ehehehoe eeehoh eeeehoh ehoh ehoh ehoh". I said in English please, and he replied "they are the perfect skis".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think you know what I think Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you know what I think too Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think there's a lot of thought going into this.

What do you think, tree-rat?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I appreciate it's a marketing scam but I quite like the idea of Rossi's Mutix - slalom and GS skis in one. Or, if you know you're only going one way around a mountain, you could have slalom on one leg and GS on the other.

Cunning!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, veeeight, hmmm... thought provoking indeed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flying_squirrel, we try to be helpful wherever you pop up (no matter what disguise you use!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flying_squirrel, If you really want a kick-@back bottom piste ski then it would have to be a slalom ski. As you know I revere my Fischer World Cup SCs but that's me, oh and lots of WC skiers of course. wink wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flying_squirrel, If your going to try a slalom sidecut ski I would recommend you try them in the resorts you ski before you buy. I have a couple of pairs of 11m sidecut skis and in hindsight after my last season would rather have a larger turn radius. A good compromise would be slalom ski with a 14-17m radius for on the mountain use. I find that when you get on steeps with the small radius skis theres not enough scope to really load up the ski and attack the slope as your already past the sidecut radius of a 11m ski. Lack of sidecut can be a big help and will encourage you to develope skills you otherwise would not use on a small radius ski.
snow conditions
rockyrobin, so, something like a skier cross one?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Depends how you want to develope your skills i'm thinking. I'm betting that with the right style of tuition flying_squirrel could learn to do icy slopes on his Assasins.
I started last season skiing 11m radius skis to do icy slopes. By the end I was happier doing the same on nigh on a 30m radius ski loading them up and making sure my body weight was as close as I could get to the outside edge, and hey presto I can party on my fatties even on the nastiest days on piste.
If I had to choose a dedicated ski I would like a pair of Volkl's Racetiger RC in a length 183cm, turn radius of 19.6m.
ski holidays
rockyrobin, Current race slalom skis are ~13m sidecut radius. I feel that they do a better job than 11m ones of matching the amount of edge angle needed to make a turn to the amount of angulation needed to resist the centripetal force of the turn.

I would be perfectly happy if my Fischer WC SLs were my only pair of skis.
ski holidays
rjs, What you say makes sense Smile I guess everyone has different views on what they want out of their skiing/technique. Last season I got numerous comments from my instructors that skiing small radius turning skis was holding me back from learning certain skills that were necessary for the type of skiing I wanted to do. I've still got a long way to go mind.

Your desription of the benefit of the larger turn radius ski for slalom sounds great. I guess in certain circumstances the 13m radius ski will hold an edge better than the small radius ski without the need to back off. I certainly felt on steep slopes the 11m radius ski felt like it didn't want you banking it over too much for the larger high speed turn and this made holding the carve a bit tricky till you got used to compensating for it by getting your weight over the outer edge to stop the ski edges from breaking away.
snow report
rockyrobin, I hear what you say about some tuition - there is a tendency to get a bit lazy when the slopes are just outside the door - I tend to pick my days and avoid the icy days, simply cos I can, and next time I go out on ice Blam! I'm skiing it as if I am on nice fresh snow and consequently blame my skis Puzzled
ski holidays
flying_squirrel, I'm not saying your the same as me, but I used to put far too much emphasis on kit when in reality it was my lack of technique and knowhow that was the problem. Now if i'm struggling with something, I forget the kit and get some lessons in to find out how to cure the problem. In the long run its a lot more rewarding Smile
ski holidays
I too would be perfectly happy with my 165 Fischer WC SCs, were it not for the fact that I took my 208 Kastle SGs out a few times. There is something to be said for that supremely calm stable locked in feeling carving a super large radius turn at high speed. The perfect ski will never be found, but it's the quest for it that counts!
ski holidays
rjs, Where did you get the SLs? They're not on the Fischer website, I couldn't get them last year, and although very happy with the SCs, would really like to try a pair of SLs to see how much difference there is.
Ghost, Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Got them from Bartletts. I didn't get them last year though.

I have flexed them against a friend's pair of SCs. The SLs are stiffer overall, but the plate seems to give less of a flat spot than the one on the SC.
ski holidays
rjs, Thanks. I assumed they would be stiffer and perhaps more difficult to ski as I presumed they were the "real" WC ski rather than the slightly detuned version. On the Fischer website the SC is listed as the slalom ski in their race ski section.
latest report
easiski, Last season, if you selected the US version of the website you got the specs for the WC SL and GS as well as the models below.

The SL comes in FIS and race dept versions too.
snow report
rjs, Cheers - I'll see if they're bringing some to the Mondial - hopefully so........
ski holidays
easiski, Just spotted these on ebay
Fischer SL
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
our old friends ski bilek. the delivery service is v.impressive
snow conditions
My new toys are starting to filter through.... Very Happy

ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
our old friends ski bilek. the delivery service is v.impressive

Actually went there to get my boots fitted (Salomon Pro Model Gun - €190!). They're all great guys as well - may have helped that they buttered me up by complimenting my German....

Nice toys - one of the best pieces of carving I saw last season involved a guy on supershapes - tried to stay in his tracks.... with limited success Sad
snow report
Quote:

Nice toys - one of the best pieces of carving I saw last season involved a guy on supershapes - tried to stay in his tracks.... with limited success

They really *are* superb skis, but they will expose any flaws in your technique - they aren't all that forgiving!
snow conditions
veeeight, that's one of the things I love about the 1100SW - it doesn't suffer fools, but the rewards for riding make up for it!
snow conditions
iSuperShapes, as worn by this man....

(Foxy you may wish to avert your eyes) NehNeh

latest report
veeeight, he's got weight on his inside ski (and his pole), so, the pic goes against everything he tries to indoctrinate people with!

(also, he's a rude, obnoxious businessman who has NO interest in helping a skier unless they get down on their knees before him)
ski holidays
Now now, no bitter queens allowed here! NehNeh

Businessman aside, that is a *very* good photo!

Very Happy
ski holidays
veeeight, it is an excellent photo - will he produce a similar one next year with Nordicas?
snow conditions
veeeight, Very good photo, and if it's who I think it is then his feet are too far apart and his inside ski is ahead, and .................... I won't go on.

kevinrhead, thanks for the link - they were the man's size though! Went dead cheap though. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Quote:

veeeight, Very good photo, and if it's who I think it is then his feet are too far apart and his inside ski is ahead, and .................... I won't go on.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think he's just misunderstood Very Happy
latest report
veeeight, Won't go on - he's already been done to death!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy