Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things to do in GVA Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any suggestions for how I can pass around 5 hours in Geneva airport on Saturday Afternoon. Bear in Mind I'll be lugging about my not so small Ski bag.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stash bag (I think there are lockers in the station) and get train into GVA & sit in a cafe in the old town.? snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lampbus's call is a good one; GVA is no better than your average airport. The train takes 10 mins ish and it's a short walk down to the lake.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with lampbus, GVA in my opinion is worse than most airports, Get out and enjoy Geneva proper. Where are you going Edmundh009, I would love to get away but alas my work is mainly done in the summer so will have to wait till Xmas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Didn't realise it was so close. Will probably check it out for an hour or two anyway. going to Tignes on the BUSC summer session. would love to get out to New Zealand etc but I would have to sell a Kidney Shocked for it to be viable.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep it's only 10 mins from the airport, also if you ask at the ticket office they will give you a print out with suitable return train times to bring you back in plenty of time, the staff at the station speak pretty good english so being understood will not be a problem, its been a while since I was there but I seem to recal that Geneva Station (the main one) has an information center where you can probably pick up a map with the local points of interest or someone there will be able to offer suggestions as to where to go
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edmundh009, I don't think there are luggage lockers at GVA anymore but there certainly are at Geneva City Stn. All trains from the airport go to the city stn'
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent about 14 hrs there after the EOSB. Just drink beer, find a flat soft bench and sleep Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Edmundh009, there's a motor museum nearby. Lausanne is not far away and is very pleasant if you fancy a short train trip. There's a very good restaurant.

Or as suggested, just wander into town. Saturday afternoon almost certainly has some street markets on, the Carouge district is fun, lots to do really.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the railway station at Geneva Airport has a left luggage area, the PDF at "Plan de situation" on this Geneva railway station page shows "Baggages" at location 207.

If you want to stay closer to the airport then an easy walk takes you to the Geneva Automobile Museum, but check opening times and this website says it is closed until 6 Sept 2006. Just past that is the Palexpo, a huge exhibition centre.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Edmundh009, We had exactly the same situation 2 years ago. The train from under the airport is a doddle - leaves when it should and is immaculately clean. The station is a few minutes walk from the 'promenade' and that in itself is worth the journey. There is a lovely cafe at the far end with a terrace overlooking the lake. On a good day weatherwise, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

GVA in my opinion is worse than most airports

agree. it's soulless and rather weird. All those ads for private banking and ridiculously expensive watches. And some of the most expensive underwear you'll find anywhere, and Swiss chocolates more expensive than buying them in an English supermarket. But then I can never understand why anyone buys anything at airports. On the plus side you can get internet access which sometimes works. And the loos are clean.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edmundh009, I don't envy you, but then I had 10 hours there in Feb Mad

There are 4 free internet terminals in arrivals so you could spend some time on here. There are a few restaurants on the top floor, which aren't generally well signposted.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could indulge in a cheese and ham baguette - I'm sure you wont have much cheese whilst in France, so why not Laughing GVA is a very dull airport, the only thing to do is sit and watch people wlak their little white dogs around whilst wearing strange jackets and hat combinations.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a 12 hour delay, but our bags were checked in, took the train, wandered around the old town, nice lunch. The Museum of Geneva is fascinating and covers lots of its history as a centre of lockmaking expertise (Hence the banking tradition and later watchmaking). Easy frequent trains, its a must even for a couple of hours. After that chatted to the Swiss travel service rep in their office in the rail station. She was gorgeous....
ski holidays
is geneva airport as expensive as ive heard it will be?

I also get to spend a couple of hours hanging around Geneva on saterday, dont suppose that its likley there will be a TV with the England game on somewhere....

just read that your also on BUSC, see you there
snow report
i think there probably will be TVs showing the footy
GVA airport isn't particularly expensive but it is boring. and the "how much is that doggy in the window" tune they play before announcements gets wearing after a while
the upstairs restaurants are a good shout though. no-one knows about them so they are much quieter than the rest of the place
ski holidays
Quote:

"how much is that doggy in the window" tune they play before announcements gets wearing after a while

How true! I found myself so brain-dead waiting to meet people off a late flight one day that I found myself singing it aloud. You can entertain yourself trying to distinguish the easyjet passengers from the international jet set.
latest report
I guess I'll go to the city then. I arrive from birmingham at 13:45 so that gives me loadsa time if the transfer is at 7. Still haven't found out where we're getting picked up from. I'm guessing its whre all the coaches sit. But it would be nice to know what to look out for Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I think there is a lingerie shop to oggle at.
snow conditions
As said, head into Geneva, it's very easy. All trains go to the city centre and take no more than 15 mins. The station is below the airport and easy to find. There is a left luggage area at the station in the airport but opposite are huge lockers you can stash your kit in (correct as of July 05).

Head for the lake and old town, going and get a crepe and watch the Swiss go by. Trains back to the airport are at least every 15 mins and it's a really easy setup.
snow report
Edmundh009 wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions for how I can pass around 5 hours in Geneva airport on Saturday Afternoon. Bear in Mind I'll be lugging about my not so small Ski bag.

How about a good brothel and some weed?
snow conditions
If like me you're in to fine watches then Geneva airport isn't a bad place to be. I've even managed to pick up the odd bargain there.
snow conditions
Skim read and seen it hinted at, but get the train to Lausanne and the boat back (or vice versa). You can buy a ticket that's train one way and boat the other. 5 hours may be cutting it fine (depending on the timetable) but any longer should be okay. They have bars and restaurants on the boat. Check http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm to see if it's feasible.

Also, as well as the trains the number 10 bus goes into the town centre (if I remember rightly).
latest report
Edmundh009, Johnboy and I are going to be stuck in Geneva airport in January for 9 hours on a Sunday - Keep us posted on how you get on.

Have a good time in Tignes snowHead
snow report
Edmundh009, Sit outside the Lingerie shop and watch the video on the screen. Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy