Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

socks or thermals on first?

Poster: A snowHead
I got blisters on the front of my shins this year for the first time this year. I suspect my boots might have been a little bit loose.
However, I was also wondering whether it could be have been caused by wearing socks on top of long thermals?
Thought I'd ask Snowheads.
Do you wear your socks underneath your thermals or on top?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thermals shouldn't go in your boots, fold them up so they end above the top of the boot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pull the thermals up over the socks that way it pulls the socks up fully. Then you can fold the thermals up to clear the top of the boot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jayjayjam, many people say that you shouldn't have anything but sock in your boot. But I wear full length (almost to the ankle) compression tights under my socks, just taking maximum care to avoid the slightest wrinkle in either the tights or the socks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm in the camp that says, "Nothing inside the Boots except your socks"....so just pull the thermals up a bit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jayjayjam wrote:
I got blisters on the front of my shins this year for the first time this year. I suspect my boots might have been a little bit loose.
However, I was also wondering whether it could be have been caused by wearing socks on top of long thermals?

The only time I got blisters on my shins I was wearing long thermals under my socks. Switched to 3/4-length shortly after.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I go against the grain on this one, with full length thermals and socks over the top, but like @Hurtle, I put them on very carefully. No blisters, never been a problem, though I have had to stop and rearrange things a bit occasionally in the early days (that would be a very rare thing now).

As if they would roll up over my calves Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use 3/4 length thermals so not an issue.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spend the whole winter at work telling people not to put anything inside their ski boots apart from one leg and one sock. BUT... when I go skiing i put my socks on first, then pull the thermals up over them, and put both inside my boot Laughing Have never had any problems.
I could roll them up over my calves, but my calves are so skinny that the extra actually helps me to not run out of clips on my boots to get them tight enough.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have 3/4 length thermals and still have to hitch them up a bit so not in my boots. They are a bit thinner than my full length icebreaker thermals and when it was cold cold last week and I reverted to the full length pair I had to make sure everything folded up to avoid being in my boots.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Socks on, then full length thick tights and then tight stretchy leggings; then pull the latter two up just enough that they clear the top cuff of the ski boot and form a nice bunched-up warm seal at the top.
Mind you, given that my boots are always too big for my skinny lower legs, I might follow those above and try 'thermals' partly in boots too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh FFS. Piste skiing. Get up in morning pull on socks trousers top and remember your jacket. Go skiing. If your legs get cold when skiing buy more insulated trousers. Touring and gnarly high altitude stuff is a different thing. But there is far too much over-thinking this for tackling a few blue pistes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends on the colour .. or the look you are going for. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thermals first
Then socks
Then pants
I’m a superhero & that’s how I roll.

If I had sock next to my skin, then my thermals wont be able to do the job of wicking sweat away like it should.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Socks then thermals, three quarter length slit up the seam so they will actually go over my calves. They probably don't go into my boots but I can't say I've ever noticed

@zikomo, rude and unnecessary
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
Oh FFS. ...there is far too much over-thinking this for tackling a few blue pistes.

So over-thinking causes blisters on shins. rolling eyes
latest report
grief...zikomo I have told you SO many times....

no butter
clotted cream first
then jam on top
snow report
@valais2, noooooo

Jam first. Always. So you are sure to get some with every bite. I respect your right to believe differently and will defend that right to the death, even when you are SO wrong!

Agree that butter is an abomination.
snow conditions
Noooooo, always butter.

Then, on the scone lid it's cream first then jam. And on the base it's jam first them cream.

Simples!
latest report
Cut the fruit scone (pronounced to rhyme with “gone”) in half and butter both halves. Then jam. Clotted cream on top. No “lid”.
Perfection
snow conditions
Butter???!?

B U T T E R ????????

What are you thinking of?

Rodda’s and nothing but Rodda’s

And jam.
latest report
@jayjayjam, Bet you're sorry you asked now Laughing
snow report
zikomo wrote:
But there is far too much over-thinking this for tackling a few blue pistes.

Good job shin blisters don’t hurt (or burst or get infected) when all you’re doing is tackling a few blue pistes rolling eyes
snow conditions
….right, scone-drift notwithstanding, here’s some sock advice.

Blisters and abrasions are likely if you have socks INSIDE thermals, and if the socks are slightly abrasive - as some synthetics are - particularly nylon - then you can get shin burn, blisters etc.

So…despite full on forward pressure all the time (shown by the fact that all my shin hair gets worn off very early in the season and does not grow back until May) I have avoided any shin burn by:

1 using merino socks - Smartwool are good socks but others are available
2 using smooth ankle length seamless thermals - usually Peak Performance but also Pearl Izumi
3 tending to slightly downsize in thermals so that they are good and tight but still comfy, and smooth over the shin
4 putting on thermals and then socks OVER THE TOP of the thermals

This presents a very smooth but cushioned surface to the front of the shin.
It prevents any bunching of the thermals when you insert a foot into a boot.

I do use thermals all year, but use thinner (well ventilated) ski trousers for Easter and padded trousers for deep winter.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
….right, scone-drift notwithstanding, here’s some sock advice.

Blisters and abrasions are likely if you have socks INSIDE thermals, and if the socks are slightly abrasive - as some synthetics are - particularly nylon - then you can get shin burn, blisters etc.

So…despite full on forward pressure all the time (shown by the fact that all my shin hair gets worn off very early in the season and does not grow back until May) I have avoided any shin burn by:

1 using merino socks - Smartwool are good socks but others are available
2 using smooth ankle length seamless thermals - usually Peak Performance but also Pearl Izumi
3 tending to slightly downsize in thermals so that they are good and tight but still comfy, and smooth over the shin
4 putting on thermals and then socks OVER THE TOP of the thermals

This presents a very smooth but cushioned surface to the front of the shin.
It prevents any bunching of the thermals when you insert a foot into a boot.

I do use thermals all year, but use thinner (well ventilated) ski trousers for Easter and padded trousers for deep winter.

Why not 3/4 length thermals and good socks and avoid the need to be careful with bunching?
I honestly don't know why anyone uses full length thermals for skiing. Can't be the extra insulation, its trivial compared to your boot liners.
For people with really skinny calves I'd go for thick intuition liners on something to take up the room properly.
snow conditions
@jedster, …ah…each to their own in the base layer department.

I wear full length thin or thick because I get bloody cold at 3000m at minus 10 in high wind. And then at Easter I wear them because it’s sensible to get sweat away from the skin and up and out of the vents.
Thin shell trousers at Easter….thick insulated trousers in deep winter.
Thin shell trousers against the skin tend to be sweat bags full of condensation, even with Gore fabrics - you can get a bad temp gradient from the colder shell and the humid insides of the keks = condensation. So full base layer stops all of that.
As a long term climber and skier I always work on the basis of ‘transport moisture from the body as quickly as possible’ - and full length base layer always does exactly this.
ski holidays
I was on a trip with c couple of begginers one year who were taking lessons. Not serious in any way and were happy enough to take the morning lesson, a loooong lunch and maybe a couple of runs in the afternoon. One of the lasses complained about painful shins, and how her boots hurt. We suggested changing them in the hire shop which she did, but still the shin pain. It took three days to work out she was putting her trouser gaitors inside the boots and the small metal clip was brutalising her shins. It never occurred to anyone!!!

For the record I'm 3/4 length and socks. Only socks and stink in my boots.
latest report
Quote:

If your legs get cold when skiing buy more insulated trousers.

Now there's the rub. One day skiing this year it was -25 another +13. I'm not going to buy two pairs of trousers.

@Gored, Going for the Superman look then Madeye-Smiley . I always put my pants on first, then my thermals then my trousers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make sure you put on clean socks every day. Does make it tricky to get the boots on by day three though.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Why not 3/4 length thermals and good socks and avoid the need to be careful with bunching?
I honestly don't know why anyone uses full length thermals for skiing.

Because they roll themselves up and end up in an uncomfortable bunch in the back of the knee joint? Maybe they work better if the calf is a, erm, less pronounced shape?

My thinking is pretty much exactly as @valais2 – flat lock seams, good fit seems to work. Thin ones most of the time, thick ones for proper cold days. I also have insulated trousers for cold days, but you can also get insulated under-shorts of various lengths to use with a shell if you don't want a second pair of trousers.
ski holidays
I skied with the son of an enthusiastic and energetic elderly beginner one time - he had his first lesson in the morning and met me and his son afterwards, enthusiastic about his first ski experience but complaining about how slow the group lessons had been. He was determined to carry on despite our efforts to get him to sit down and have a break and after a couple of false starts got to the top of a drag lift with an easy green run down. His son warned him not to pick up too much speed but the old boy took off. Really scary, could have killed someone, but fortunately he stayed on his feet and the bottom was flat. So no great harm done (except that he continued to believe he was immortal) but he was complaining about sore shins. We sat him down and investigated.
He had "cable knit" socks on, big woolly things and the pattern was getting baked into his shins. We persuaded him to stop until he could get some more suitable socks. If he'd carried on the skin on his shins (very thin and vulnerable in many elderly people) would have been broken and his week ruined.
snow report
@DJL, …silly bu***r….a sort of reverse packing out of liners ….
ski holidays
For piste skiing. Insulated trousers in winter, no need for thermals. I don't generate much heat/sweat generally when piste skiing. Spring is thin trousers with a thin lining.

Touring/off-piste I wear shell trousers and suitable base layer (insulating qualities based on likely temperatures) to manage moisture more effectively.

As @valais2, says IF you have a base layer all the way to the ankle it should be seamless and go inside your socks.

But I still think there is a lot of over-thinking and faffing for the majority of holiday skiers who probably cover less than 10k vertical in a day, on piste, with lots of stops etc. It's not an arctic expedition. That said those who suffer from the cold badly, especially with a medical condition, do need to think about this all very carefully.

Cut scone in half, spread jam on both halves then top with LOTS of clotted cream. Under no circumstances should they be eaten as a sandwich, each half should be enjoyed separately. There are other ways of doing it, and I respect those other ways. But they are wrong!
ski holidays
But sometimes getting all the gear right is half the fun! When it's cold weather, and I'm trying not to use too much heating, I wear very thin thermals under my jeans and sweatshirts in the house. Let alone on a ski slope.

I do very unheroic sailing but am unapologetic about having the right gear to keep me warm and dry. And once you're out there, whether on a chairlift or on the deck, it's often very difficult to rectify any mistakes. Not to mention almost impossible to contemplate having a pee......
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
jedster wrote:
I honestly don't know why anyone uses full length thermals for skiing.

Because they roll themselves up and end up in an uncomfortable bunch in the back of the knee joint? Maybe they work better if the calf is a, erm, less pronounced shape?

My thinking is pretty much exactly as @valais2 – flat lock seams, good fit seems to work. Thin ones most of the time, thick ones for proper cold days. I also have insulated trousers for cold days, but you can also get insulated under-shorts of various lengths to use with a shell if you don't want a second pair of trousers.

STrange - I've got pretty muscular calves and the cuff sits just below the widest bit
latest report
zikomo wrote:
But I still think there is a lot of over-thinking and faffing for the majority of holiday skiers who probably cover less than 10k vertical in a day, on piste, with lots of stops etc. It's not an arctic expedition. That said those who suffer from the cold badly, especially with a medical condition, do need to think about this all very carefully.

It looks to me as if you're answering the wrong question (or at least: not the question that was asked; am I right in thinking that this is something of a Snowheads tradition?). It's not: 'what base layer do I need for a given type of skiing?', it's 'given that I wear a base layer, how do I best avoid getting shin blisters?'.

I mean, I guess you could hire a car cheaply from Turin: make sure it's got winter tyres, though.
snow report
@jmr59, Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I guess you could hire a car cheaply from Turin: make sure it's got winter tyres, though.

The thing is, you can hire a car cheaply from Turin but that generally requires that you deal with the fact that it won't have winter tyres!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

The thing is, you can hire a car cheaply from Turin but that generally requires that you deal with the fact that it won't have winter tyres!

Shin blisters here I come!
latest report
There’s some valuable insight into shin blisters and their avoidance from around the middle of this earlier thread… https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157627&start=80

Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy