Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snowsports sector 2022 - economic, social, and cultural impact

Poster: A snowHead
Mike Pow wrote:

Which is why I'm not getting bent out of shape about my carbon footprint
The Government want us to change our ways but penalise us for doing so
No thanks

We all get "penalised" by climate change.
It's biggest challenge humanity has ever faced.

However: people have got to used to convenience and low cost of budget airlines irrespective of emissions. Longer term flying to the alps for £40 with easy jet isn't sustainable. At least if we want future generations to enjoy alpine (or Scottish) skiing as we presently know it....

If society is serious about reducing emissions then we need to push much more traffic onto long distance rail.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Jesus read what I wrote
7-day time frame
Just saw you went back and read it and added the third sentence
Perhaps I should have been more specific and written 'public transportation within the UK but outside the obvious routes which service a large Scottish city to it's closest ski area'

FWIW : If I lived in south of England I would probably ski in the alps too.
London is roughly equidistant from Morzine and Fort William (~800km each way).

Can see that, and many people do that

Quote:
There are a number of reasons Crystal ski don't offer ski weeks to Scotland for £600. Primarily reliability of the snow.

Agreed

But Scotland could have gone down the route which N Wales has and taken the weather out of the equation

People expect poo-poo weather in N Wales but the activities which they go there for have embraced that - Surf Snowdonia, Zip World, Coasterring, SUP, Surfing, Hiking, DH Mtn Biking etc

Scotland could be promoting themselves as a Winter Adventure destination which includes snowsports

Interchangeable rental & instruction ticket for various activities

Then you'll see stay customers who will spend significantly more and contribute far more to the Scottish economy than day customers

This has been the situation in Japan

The industry was out on it's back bottom until the Aussies started spending week long and longer holidays on Hokkaido and in the Hakuba and Myoko areas

And that's with an average of 12m snowfall per season!!!

With the influx of non-Japanese Asian visitors to the Niseko Resort Area skiing is not the only thing they want to do on their winter holiday

Snowshoeing, horse riding, snowmobiling, food & drink tours to name just a few now compete with the ski experience

Quote:

A lift pass in Scotland costs £30/day.
Which seems reasonable value when there is snow on the ground.

Absolutely

But see above for alternatives
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

No thanks

I wholeheartedly disagree with this opinion

Quote:
However: people have got to used to convenience and low cost of budget airlines irrespective of emissions. Longer term flying to the alps for £40 with easy jet isn't sustainable. At least if we want future generations to enjoy alpine (or Scottish) skiing as we presently know it....

If society is serious about reducing emissions then we need to push much more traffic onto long distance rail.

When the Government starts taking it seriously, I will
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow wrote:

But Scotland could have gone down the route which N Wales has and taken the weather out of the equation
Scotland could be promoting themselves as a Winter Adventure destination which includes snowsports

Scotland is already a world class tourist destination.
Just not for skiing

- Mountain Biking
- Golf
- North Coast 500
- Hillwalking and Climbing
- Whisky tours
- Castles
- Pristine Hebridean beaches and outer isles(etc).
- Edinburgh

These are the reasons most tourists travel to Scotland.
Scotland certainly knows how to promote itself (there will be world cup DH at fort William this summer and Scotland will also host world cycle champs for road, gravel and MTB).

Skiing makes up 2% of the total tourist numbers. IMHO it would be counter productive (and dishonest) to actively promote snowsports to those from further afield given how fickle conditions are.
Much more effective to spend money on webcams etc so the large population (5+ million people) within 2-3 hrs drive can profit when it does snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Skiing makes up 2% of the total tourist numbers. IMHO it would be counter productive (and dishonest) to actively promote snowsports to those from further afield given how fickle conditions are.
Much more effective to spend money on webcams etc so the large population (5+ million people) within 2-3 hrs drive can profit when it does snow.

Fair enough
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I am agreeing with the way this thread is going forward.

Scottish skiing is for the locals (2 hours away) or for those that are happy with their plan B should the conditions not allow.

I still don't understand why they can't put dry slope matting on the piste, if it snows great, if it is poor snow you can still ski.

As for climate change, you should really be looking at the TikTok generation rather than those that fly to the Alps if you have a need to point a finger.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny996 wrote:
I still don't understand why they can't put dry slope matting on the piste.

The Lecht did that. It was laid directly on top of the heather and moved up and down when you skied over it, was horrible to use. I'm guessing they were not allowed to flatten the slope first.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The changing climate could quickly cause problems for some alpine resorts. Unlike Scotland they are not yet geared up for stop-start ski seasons. The current model relies on continuous snow cover throughout the season. This season has perhaps indicated the direction of travel with long lasting persistently mild air streams.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
I still don't understand why they can't put dry slope matting on the piste.

The Lecht did that. It was laid directly on top of the heather and moved up and down when you skied over it, was horrible to use. I'm guessing they were not allowed to flatten the slope first.

We ski on drifted snow in Scotland. The relentless winds fill the gullies (or snow fencing) with deep drifts during winter storms. These deep drifts then last into the spring time long after snow on surrounding hillside has melted. It is not uncommon in a normal winter for snow to lie 20-30ft deep in specific areas like the gunbarrel (Cairngorm) or haggistrap (Glencoe).

Putting dry matt down a fairly futile exercise. Would interfer with piste bashers which need to push significant snow about to keep runs open. In a good year Glencoe frequently keep plateau runs open into April simply by farming snow down the mountain from deep drifts at bottom of the spring run. This has proven to been far more effective than snow-making or dry matt (which is sometimes used for loading area of tows).

Ironically if it wasn't for the wind then we wouldn't be able to ski in Scotland
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with @Haggis_Trap re webcams. I'm a long time Scottish skier, though still 3-4 hours' drive away. Happy to do the drive any time, though ideally for at least 2 days in a row (rarely both bluebird, of course!), but haven't bothered this year because it's just seemed harder and harder, (not just this year) to gather what conditions are really like, or to get anywhere near a decent weather forecast 12-24hrs in advance.
Facebook posts from each area extoll the glorious conditions and weather in hindsight (or in pink, a la Cairngorm), whilst Winter Highland says not worth it up front (as did other forecasts): not sure which is ever right. Do feel that the 'resorts' are often over-selling how good it is (and have indeed confirmed that in the last few years also).
With the current costs of fuel, accommodation and food (if you don't have a van and can't get cheap SC 'digs' easily - which you often can't), then it's often just seemingly much too much of a chance to take, especially if conditions are quite marginal anyway. Real shame, as I used to love grabbing the gear and 'hacking up' for an overnight stay. Good memories, but lesser reality these days. Or maybe me just getting old Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Scottish skiing is for the locals (2 hours away) or for those that are happy with their plan B should the conditions not allow.

Or for those like me and Mrs MA, who are 250-300 miles away but plan an eleventh hour visit by car when snow and conditions are good for piste skiing or ski touring.

Over the last 30-odd years, we've had amazing ski trips to Scotland - and have skied Scottish snow in every month of the year except July and September - albeit a 100m snow patch over the back of Cairngorm for our August visit.

Those who are near enough to go but who have never been, really are missing out.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Those who are near enough to go but who have never been, really are missing out.

100%

If I was close I’d be there every week
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
>>or to get anywhere near a decent weather forecast 12-24hrs in advance. <<

MWIS is about as accurate as you will ever need in my experience of working in the hills. On very rare occasions it’s not spot on but it’s usually bang on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
>>or to get anywhere near a decent weather forecast 12-24hrs in advance. <<
Exactly the sort of thing I was alluding to @orange Smile We will generally start thinking about a trip - looking at accommodation options etc - if there is a favourable-looking weather outlook for about seven days' time. Then a case of keeping an eye on the weather, with a final decision made right up until departure day.

As mentioned, Mountain Weather Information Service (MWIS) is usually fairly reliable and you can usually make a decision 48 hours or so before departure. However, forecasts can sometimes be on a knife edge, with exact detail difficult to predict for complex weather systems. That's a real pain when there's a load of fresh snow and the deciding factor is how strong the wind will be. We've learned from bitter experience that a wind of 30mph is the strongest we want to ski in - and that a gust of 55mph can blow you off your feet! Shocked A terrible experience that one - too windy and dangerous to take skins off our touring skis and to even stand up to put skis on. That was a day when the weather confounded the forecast and changed unexpectedly when we were already on the hill.

It's very disappointing when a previously favourable forecast doesn't materialise, and a trip is aborted, but that's just UK mountain weather all over. There was once a big change in forecast wind speed after we'd set off to drive up to The Highlands Confused So the question was, did we press on and risk the time and expense of a potentially wasted 600 mile round trip? We turned round after we'd driven about 50 miles... rolling eyes

Of course the dream scenario is settled weather conditions, sun and wall to wall snow - when the Winterhighland website has a headline like 'Drop everything, throw a sickie and throw your toys in the car!' It does happen sometimes - like in December 2022 at Cairngorm... Very Happy

...and in January 2023 at Glencoe Very Happy

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ nice. Yeah it's a tricky environment to forecast in from what I know but the models and MWIS in particular does a pretty good job of localising it enough. Aspect etc. all play a part but totally understand it's a big commitment to a 300 mile drive for pox weather ! I live near lots of it and that is bad enough, when I'm retired next winter I'll be making good use of all the weather windows !
I also totally get it if I was sitting in the SE of England I'd not drive to Aviemore for my holiday if i wanted locked in skiing, totally get that. But then you can drive to the Alps from there easily enough (relatively). I'm fervent that we need to encourage the N of England and Scottish people to look at more 'local' options. My concern, as always, is 'use it or lose it'. The less we frequent these places the less likely they are to survive, like pubs Very Happy
I've now properly read that whole paper and it has HIEs mucky fingerprints all over it.
latest report
" I'm fervent that we need to encourage the N of England and Scottish people to look at more 'local' options. My concern, as always, is 'use it or lose it'. The less we frequent these places the less likely they are to survive. "

Every time that I've been up in the last many years they've been remarkably busy - and several times this year it has been impossible to buy tickets on line as they've been sold out.
Lift queues at Glencoe upper mountain and Nevis, and past memories of Cairngorm funicular, have been sufficient to be off-putting, too.

Still, I agree, and would like to get up there as often as possible, even if the weather is chancy. But consider a 'northern England' visitor: Carlisle to Glencoe and return is 360 miles, Cairngorm 450 (per Google maps). Say, very roughly, £60 in fuel. Then a £35 lift pass. Then maybe £70 accommodation for a night (very variable, but rarely cheaper) if you don't fancy the very early start, long and often slow drive, plus skiing/boarding all in one day. £165 plus food for a few occasionally wonderful but often not so inspiring runs; and mostly on drag lifts.
It used to make sense as part of a week's general getaway holiday - where we counted ourselves lucky if we got 3 days on the hill around Easter time, and spent a lot of time driving around desperately trying to find anywhere open - but just on the chance of getting in a slide..? And when it is actually sometimes annoyingly busy as well..?

Mind you, as posted elsewhere, I have for many years been seriously looking into moving up to Scotland so that I can much more easily 'carpe snow' whenever I can.
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
"
Mind you, as posted elsewhere, I have for many years been seriously looking into moving up to Scotland so that I can much more easily 'carpe snow' whenever I can.

According to Google translate the Latin for seize the snow would be 'carpe nivis'..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Grizzler wrote:
"

According to Google translate the Latin for seize the snow would be 'carpe nivis'..... Madeye-Smiley

[pedant]carpe nivem[/pedant]
snow report
jmr59 wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Grizzler wrote:
"

I have a vision of Life of Brian and writing this many times on a snow wall!
ski holidays
jmr59 wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Grizzler wrote:
"

You're absolutely correct, Google translate needs to go back to its Latin lessons. Mea culpa. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So having read the report, here is my 10 penny worth. It seems to me that the report is a mixture of: trying to nail jelly to a wall; trying to pander to the Scottish Government’s various agendas; and stating the obvious - who’d have thought that most people ski because they enjoy it? It reminds me of an old Monty Python sketch where they investigated the theory that sitting down does actually rest you. They missed out one of the most important reasons – “To appease my partner “. There are inaccuracies (as others have pointed out) and omissions – no mentions of Highlands based BASI or the seemingly now defunct Lowther Hills. There is no reference to the fact that many who work in the sector are transient, often younger people who will eventually pursue a different career path. There are also lots of meaningless tables – stats relating to the SMID quintiles and Local Authority Areas, being just one. It does tell us that snowsports are not a huge part of the Scottish economy – but that is fairly obvious. If they were determined to do a report, it really should have waited until most of the impact of the pandemic had shaken out.

I first skied in Scotland 30 odd years ago, when I Iived in Yorkshire and was trying to get on the BASI ladder, so I did a season of weekends and school holidays working in Glencoe. I thought it was going to be a chore, but proved a wonderful experience. I went back in subsequent years, occasionally to work, but mainly to have fun. When I moved to Glasgow (for reasons largely unrelated to skiing) I worked part-time at Xscape/SnowFactor from its opening to its demise at the end of last year. But, I mainly worked for the Scottish Government, where from time to time and where it seemed appropriate tried to interest Ministers and officials in the industry, where it impacted my own area of work – little to no interest. I think I previously recorded on SH an instance where I persuaded a Minister to come to a meeting of those involved in adventure sports that took place at Glenmore Lodge. There was snow on the ground. The Minister turned up in a fun fur coat and heels, commenting it was a bit cold. It didn’t impress the fleece clad audience. I also had dealings with Ekos – the authors of the report in question. They are very adept at the processes surrounding reports for the Scottish Government and the Scottish Government is very adept at commissioning reports and setting up committees rather than actually doing anything.

As others have suggested, those who ski in the Scottish mountains are largely: locals(up to a couple of hours away); motivated enthusiasts from further afield; “passers-by”; and the curious. No matter what we might wish (unless there is some miraculous climate or technological change) there are never going to be enough customers to make for a thriving industry. I would guess that more than half of the people who came for beginner lessons at Braehead had no immediate intention of going to the mountains to ski or board. Of those that had an intention many did not even know you could ski on the Scottish mountains. However, there is one less tangible thing which I don’t think is fully brought out in the report and that is that the existence of Scottish ski stations adds to the atmosphere of the Highlands even for folk who have no intention of ever participating themselves - it offers (an uneducated additional edge). I remember a coach load of shorts clad Spanish tourists coming up the funicular at Cairngorm and gawping in wonderment at the late season skiers and borders – somewhat ironic given I learnt to ski in Spain.

Oh and for the record – I’m Welsh, speak with a North of England accent and I’m married to a Highlander. I also despair of some of the crass comments about Scotland made by some of my English friends, who really should know better.
ski holidays
Some insightful observations there @Ski lots. Thanks.

I just hadn't realised that (very sadly and concerningly) it appears that there is, effectively, no real support for Scottish snowsports from those in positions of power and influence north of the border.

I hope I'm wrong, but a well-known word of a famous Scotsman comes readily to mind...."Dooooomed!" rolling eyes
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
... no real support for Scottish snowsports from those in positions of power and influence north of the border.

HIE have put public funds into all of the resorts (particularly Cairngorm and Nevis Range).
The problem is the lions share of the funding, since 2001, has gone into the funicular ...
Which to this day continues to be a money pit.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

HIE have put public funds into all of the resorts (particularly Cairngorm and Nevis Range).

I thought Glenshee was outside the geographical area HIE has responsibility for. Has Glenshee received any funds from HIE?

Haggis_Trap wrote:

The problem is the lions share of the funding, since 2001, has gone into the funicular ...
Which to this day continues to be a money pit.

Yep. Sad
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:

I thought Glenshee was outside the geographical area HIE has responsibility for. Has Glenshee received any funds from HIE?

Correct. Both Glenshee and Glencoe are outside HIE boundary but have received funding (all be it a tiny % of what the funicular received): It has been used for winch cat piste bashers which made a massive difference to snow farming a piste prep.

Obvious frustration is funicular is inefficient for skiers and doesn't generate summer revenue either. Wrong lift in wrong place.

https://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/funding-windfall-for-scottish-ski-centres-162581/
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, thanks for that information.

Incidentally I see that your linked article says funding came from Highland and Islands Enterprise (HIE) and Scottish Enterprise. I gather Scottish Enterprise is a publicly funded body that covers all of Scotland. So being pedantic perhaps it would be more accurate to say public funds have been put into all the Scottish resorts (although far from on an equal basis) but not necessarily all the Scottish resorts have received funds from HIE?
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, are you certain that Glencoe isn’t covered by HIE? Given its in Highland council (which HIE cover the rest of), and HIE say they cover Lochaber, it looks to me that where Glencoe ski area is, falls within the HIE area…
latest report
^ Glencoe is technically just inside Argyll, but on boundary with Lochaber. They have received funding from both HIE and Scottish Enterprise over the years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe ski area is not in Argyll. It’s in Highland. ABC are quite clear it’s not their’s: https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/sites/default/files/community-life-and-leisure/argyll-and-bute-area-map-with-main-towns-1.pdf
latest report
HIE covers the Highlands plus Argyll, but SE covers the whole of Scotland in some respects, particularly in terms of inward investment - it has some overseas offices. Like most things in U.K. administration things are a little more complicated than they at first seem. SE also provided some support to SnowFactor. I once bumped into Jamie Smith outside their HQ, which was a little embarrassing given that I was both working for SF and on secondment to SE at the time. I deliberately avoided asking for any details.
snow report
Thanks for clarifying @Haggis_Trap.
snow report
The confusion above re. which region Glencoe is part of comes from whether you care talking about Argyll (historic county) or Argyll and Bute (council area). In current terms (i.e. council areas), Glencoe is indeed part of Highland, as @Inboard says. (Lochaber is really just part of Highland now.)
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

No thanks

I'm trying to optimistic that we're a smart enough species to solve the problem with innovation. Hopefully electric planes aren't as far off as we thought:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/09/28/eviation-alice-first-test-flight-orig-ht.cnn-business
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ Glencoe is technically just inside Argyll, but on boundary with Lochaber. They have received funding from both HIE and Scottish Enterprise over the years.

Royal Mail postal counties don’t match (and in some cases never have) local authority boundaries. Glencoe ski area is in the Highland Council, but its postal address is Argyll.

Argyll and Bute council is uniquely within the operating area of both SE and HIE, so even if Glencoe was under A+B it would still have access to HIE.

On this point, the bulk of non covid and non CairnGorm public funds in the past decade was direct from the Scottish Govt via a 75% grant offer for uplift installation and modernisation. This was in response to the 2011 strategic review and resulted in the following major projects:

Full installation of new/replacement lifts:

Cairnwell Triple Chair (Glenshee YoC 2015)
Coire Pollach Tow (Glencoe YoC 2015)
Rannoch Triple Chair (Glencoe - opened Dec 22)
^ Purchase covered, but construction completion outside 75% funding window.

Upgrade of existing lifts:

Access Chair (Glencoe - electrification)
Nevis Gondola (Drive system upgrade)

Various smaller lift overhauls at the Lecht and Glenshee.
ski holidays
Agree that weather combined with snow conditions is fickle enough that Scotland is always going to be largely a "driving distance, decide 48 hours in advance" sort of downhill destination. Which can (and probably increasingly will) mean some successive bad years, and so limited funds for reinvestment in infrastructure. The relatively small size can also mean that when there ARE good conditions resorts are overrun, with insufficient car parking, uplift, refreshments etc, so providing an unsatisfactory experience. (And in today's social media world, word quickly gets around).

Where Scotland could probably offer more is touring, but the report doesn't seem to cover this.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
The relatively small size can also mean that when there ARE good conditions resorts are overrun, with insufficient car parking, uplift, refreshments etc, so providing an unsatisfactory experience. (And in today's social media world, word quickly gets around).

Post covid most Scottish resorts now actively limit online ticket sales.
So that Scenario no longer as common as it might have been in past.
Glencoe for example limited each day to ~1000 skiers (a number which wont over whelm the uplift).
latest report
But wasn't there a post-covid day last year when someone with a pre-booked pass claimed it still took them 2 hours queue to get in the car park, a further hour to queue to actually collect their pass, and then lift queues so long that they only got 2 runs in? Perhaps Glenshee?

Not sure if limiting pass sales is a good or bad thing for the future of Scottish skiing. The possibility of not being able to even get a pass is surely going to encourage people to plan on going elsewhere?
snow report
^ that was the morning after a decent snowfall and then a bluebird day and F&K council decided to not plough the rod for ages and then there were no police available to open the gates - they do that, not the council. So a massive queue built up then all descended on the centre literally at once. Bit of a nightmare scenario that one and not something you can ever plan or manage for but still leaves a poor experience. I had something similar a few times when I was there and it was a PItA. Limiting passes is a good thing for those who get one - way better than turning up to massive lift lines etc. a lot of resorts limit passes when snow is limited so it’s not exactly unique. Just, in Scotland, that’s the permanent state of affairs !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy