Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Risk Two day and things can still happen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd been up there the day before and conditions were really good, so the following day armed with my trusty @KenX, we went exploring some new lines, steeper and higher, and new to us, and totally untracked.

Skinning up soon presented a problem as whilst from afar the snow looked perfect, as you'll see from the video.,once on it due to the wind was not the best, as sometimes only 5cm on hardpack, maybe we should have skinned up on the fresher windblown snow (where we skied down) but then we would have been more exposed and we both thought under the rocks was the best call and initially, boot packing was the best option, unfortunately in the lee of the rocks were the equivalent of tree-wells so one moment you'd be firm underfoot and the next up to your thigh, so we soon moved away from those and carried on.

The wind was howling on the ridge and we transitioned below, in somewhat precarious terrain, though later I was somewhat disappointed as to how far off the ridge we were. I set off traversing out into the more obvious better snow and set off a mini sluff slide and had a nice line down where I stopped to then film @KenX, as he traversed out to do the same, and I must have missed the first couple of seconds as by the time I looked up there was quite an active slide going on.

Now we know what it was that created it, and it was not too severe, but enough to have taken your legs away from you if you were caught in it, I could say more but that would be giving away the reason, and it's another one for the textbook of experiences to watch out for Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/CHvB5rQjmwM
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be clear this is the sluff at 0.20? Was that Ken X we can see in the rocks or does he come later, seems to be a jump cut? I'd guess at Ken collapsing a pocket or warming from the rocks.

Actually I think I see Ken rolling some crud off which drops onto the loaded area below the rock.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It wasn't a jump cut, I thought it would go so traversed to the rocks and it went behind me, then I skied straight down and to my right (00:33) and the rest of it went...
Pretty sure it was wind-deposited snow from the small ridge to the right in the pic, it wasn't very deep but just shows how localised wind loading can be!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am I right in thinking that the most incidents (if not necessarily the most fatalities) take place on Risk 2 days?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, looks like you didn't account for the @KenX-factor, rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jmr59, thought avi 3 days accounted for most incidents and accidents (as Paul Simon might say).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HammondR, my understanding as well
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HammondR wrote:
@jmr59, thought avi 3 days accounted for most incidents and accidents (as Paul Simon might say).

I thought that too, but was told Level 2 at the UCPA avalanche presentation on Monday evening.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jmr59, hmmm, most fatalities occur on "3" days https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche-danger-scale.

I'm not sure that avalanche incidence is a particularly meaningful statistic and anyway can't see "2" days as being most frequent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like a classic level 2 experience. The risk is significantly lower in frequency and magnitude"but" smaller slides can happen.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy