Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva Val Gardena Piste Map

Poster: A snowHead
Hello SHs

After much research on this forum I've booked a trip to Selva in Jan next year. Thanks to everyone that has contributed tips, advice and trip report etc, they have been a huge help.

I love planing a trip and researching the different ski areas, runs and restaurants etc. I'm used to French maps that usually come with piste names. Doesn't seem to be the case with Italy / Austria, where numbers seem to be the norm. Expect for Selva it seems as I cannot find a piste map with numbers on. I've found them for other areas e.g., Val di Fassa, Alta Badia etc, but nothing for Val Gardena.

I did find one that had the piste number on the runs for Alpe di Siusi, but the same map didn't have them on the runs for the Ciampinoi, Seceda areas etc - very annoying!

Could anyone direct me to a map with piste number on for Selva please?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome -- I dont think the Selva runs have numbers, just names ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW, my Val Gardena map has numbers for the lifts and shows the pistes in their colors, with no numbers or names. There is a run I like there called Cyr, and since I know its name, it must be on a sign though I'm not sure...ditto numbers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to sH

Across the Sella Ronda as a whole, some sectors use names, some use numbers, and some use both
Was discussed in a thread somewhere a few weeks back too (probably on one of the Dolomites threads). I tend to navigate more by the lift names than the piste names/numbers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys Very Happy

Scooter, is that an online map or paper map from resort? Would have thought the paper maps would have a way of corresponding to the on piste signage e.g the numbers?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://piste-maps.co.uk/italy/dolomiti-superski/val-gardena
Pick PDF or JPG for a full size map
They seem to use lift numbers than piste numbers! Odd!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We found the Selva piste map pretty hit and miss TBH! What was on the map didn't always bear much resemblance to the names of the runs on the mountain. And a couple of times we aimed for runs on the map that just didn't seem to exist when we got to the relevant lift.

The most useful thing was to know roughly what village/place you're aiming for, and follow the signs for that. All the 'places' are very well signed, so that's the easiest way to navigate.

We loved doing the Sella Ronda for that reason too - no need to worry about a map, or navigating. Just follow the green/orange signs and away you go.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paper from a few years ago; laminated because I'm a nerd and study 'em before the trip

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm watching lots of videos on you tube and they often have the run numbers but without numbers on a map I'm struggling to locate them.

Found this map with numbers for alpe di siusi but no numbers for rest of Val G. Strange

https://s3.onthesnow.com/images/trailmaps/dolomiti-superski/alpe-di-siusi/20230201141424/xlarge.jpg

I guess I'll just have to try them all Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Selva 5 times and I still get a bit confused around the top of Ciampinoi/Saslong. I always find myself going down an icy chute/demolition derby...I just can't figure out how everything fits together up there...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pasigal wrote:
I've been to Selva 5 times and I still get a bit confused around the top of Ciampinoi/Saslong. I always find myself going down an icy chute/demolition derby...I just can't figure out how everything fits together up there...

Even more confusing now that when you come back up on the gondola from the bottom of the funicular you can't get on the next lift to the top without having to cross the piste, get on another lift up to ski down to the lift you need to get back to Ciampinoi! A very daft system indeed.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scooter in Seattle, as they say, if you wan to know the best way around a resort ask a seassonaire, if you need to know actual lift and piste names ask a punter
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dr John, yep.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pasigal wrote:

Ah that must be red 5 that leads down to the Plan de Gralba. The sign posting at the top of Ciampinoi is useless, it indicates the route for green Sella Ronda to the left so you are forced onto the top of red 5. There is an alternative red to the right which goes back under the bubble, I think it’s red 6. It meets red 5 just after the Ciadinat riffugio and is usually a slightly easier option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP wrote:
Pasigal wrote:

Ah that must be red 5 that leads down to the Plan de Gralba. The sign posting at the top of Ciampinoi is useless, it indicates the route for green Sella Ronda to the left so you are forced onto the top of red 5. There is an alternative red to the right which goes back under the bubble, I think it’s red 6. It meets red 5 just after the Ciadinat riffugio and is usually a slightly easier option.

That's how I remember it being from earlier this year. Top of red 5 was a bit of challenge for first run of the holiday Very Happy
ski holidays
Funnily enough the Selva side of Ciampinoi is the only section with numbered pistes !

They have 3, 4, 5 and 6 ; every where else they have names (no idea where 1 and 2 are though...)
snow conditions
@albob, @halfhand, @CP,

Thanks for your replies folks. Looking at the map it appears all the ciampinoi runs are served by gondola, is that right? No chairlifts up from selva?
snow report
Owls101 wrote:
@albob, @halfhand, @CP,

Thanks for your replies folks. Looking at the map it appears all the ciampinoi runs are served by gondola, is that right? No chairlifts up from selva?

Correct, although the piste map does show a 2 man chair named Ciampinoi towards the plan de gralba. But I can’t recall seeing it from the long flat red that comes around there.
snow report
Cheers. That's a bit a annoying. Don't want to strap the skis on after 4 years and then take them off 5 minutes later.
snow report
CP wrote:
Owls101 wrote:
@albob, @halfhand, @CP,

Correct, although the piste map does show a 2 man chair named Ciampinoi towards the plan de gralba. But I can’t recall seeing it from the long flat red that comes around there.

The Ciampinoi chair closed a couple of years ago. Rumours that it might be replaced by a fast chair seem to have been unfounded..
ski holidays
CP wrote:
Pasigal wrote:

Yes red 6 is a good escape route to dodge the carnage that is top of red 5 which is very steep at the top and usually busy.

A nightmare for nervous intermediates trying to get from Selva to the peace and quiet of plan de Galba … they really need to somehow create an easier route .
Especially as it is a main thoroughfare for green sella ronda too.

Sadly this week red 6 is closed so we had to force our selves down 5 around 1 pm today…. Covered in nasty bumpy soft slushy snow and lots people struggling (including me) !

Possibly the worst run of our trip around sella ronda green today (a late start as we had already been over to seceda and back to do La Longia which was still in superb condition and practically empty.)
ski holidays
Yeah, that red 5 run is rarely fun after 10 a.m. Even the Red 6 run isn't really relaxing, as it's basically a wide cat track...

It is odd for an intermediate focused area that there's no easier way down from the top of Ciampinoi, which is the main town lift in Selva...I generally prefer red runs but I think that Red 5, at least the top, is being sandbagged as a red...
snow report
I'm getting buyer's remorse here guys. Thought selva would be a great spot for us....intermediate skiers...where should we go first day when we go up on the ciampinoi gondola?
snow conditions
@Owls101, It will be great. Now you know what to expect from Red 5 you'll be fine Laughing . Aternatively take the Dantercepies Gondola the other way and go to Corvara and Alta Badia.
ski holidays
@Owls101, Why not go up Costabella, slide down to Dantercepies and head for intermediate heaven, Alta Badia?
ski holidays
Yes, I know it will be great. Just thought the 'home hill' would be a great option. Will head over seceda too, looks ls great over there!
latest report
Owls101 wrote:
I'm getting buyer's remorse here guys. Thought selva would be a great spot for us....intermediate skiers...where should we go first day when we go up on the ciampinoi gondola?

Reds 5 and 6 are alright early in the day. Red 6 is usually a better option as it is less busy. Other options from here are down to St. Christina down the Sasslong black or red from Sochers. The Black is very wide and forgiving for intermediate skiers and the red a little easier.

For entry to a real intermediate paradise take the Costabella Chair, just 5 minutes walk from the Ciampinoi bubble, and ski down to the Dantercepies bubble. Follow the Sella Ronda orange route to Corvara, take a detour up to Colfosco, the Edelweiss Valley, before getting on the Borest bubble to Corvara. From Corvara take the Col Alt bubble up onto the Pralongia Plateau which is blue run heaven.
snow report
Owls101 wrote:

Seriously, do not get stressed about that particular spot. Typical reds around the Sella Ronda are blues in France. You can even go down the Saslong WC downhill as an intermediate. Plus, it's good for you to push your limits a bit. Red 5 is not THAT bad, you can sideslip down if need be, and the left side is not as steep as the right IIRC. Red 6 also gets you to Plan Gralba and it is just fine early in the morning for intermediates.

Plan Gralba is basically all low-intermediate blues with the exception of a couple of short reds. As is the entirety of Alpe di Suisi, and most of the Alta Badia area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Owls101 wrote:

Selva is a great spot for intermediates - don't worry!

On your first day, I'd go up the Ciampinoi and over to Plan de Gralba. I don't think the route over there is problematic at all - and you'll be doing it in the morning.

Or, as others have said, go up Danteciepes. But PdG does give you the option of lots of nice short runs and several lifts, which are great for getting your ski legs back.

You'll have a great time!
snow conditions
Pasigal wrote:
You can even go down the Saslong WC downhill as an intermediate.

Not to be disagreeable, but while it is true they could get down it, with lots of punters flying down it pretending to be somebody I wouldn't recommend it. There are way better places for an intermediate to have fun.
snow conditions
Thank you for the tips everyone!
snow report
@Owls101, remember -- there is also a 'Valley' bus service which runs between Ortisei and Selva/Plan di Gralba

https://www.valgardena.it/en/bus-schedule/
latest report
@Owls101, Deffo go to Ortisei and ski that area, it's super.
ski holidays
Owls101 wrote:

Red 5 is a problem as it is the signposted green sella ronda route so gets a lot of traffic …..normally it’s fine (although today was horrid due to snow conditions) and once past then plan de gralba is excellent with several chairs at good altitude serving runs not on the SR so much quieter.
Red 6 is still the better option though as less well signposted so far less SR traffic.

The actual home runs from Ciampanoi are long and steep BUT have far less people on them so as long as your take your time they can be pretty good fun.
But you can ski back from PdG to Selva without going high. At PdG base you take the little drag (Senoner?) and then an easy run all the way back to Selva …

Seceda is a fantastic area but be prepared for a queue from ortisei back up if you do La Longia (which you should once as it is a tremendous run).

Alta Badia is proper intermediate heaven but don’t miss colfosco area on the way ….
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, we did red 5 today at about 10am. It was just softening up nicely. Spent the day in PdG and, looking back up at it as the day went on, it really deteriorated in the afternoon.
Worst condition run of the week was undoubtedly the red from ciampinoi back to selva at the end of the day. It was scraped bare.

@Owls101, if you are nervous at all I’d do what @CP, suggests upthread and go up dantercepies on day 1.
My wife got hung up on red 5, named it “the wall”, but only the first few hundred metres are steep. If anyone in your group is especially nervous just reassure them that it will be the hardest red run they are likely to do that day.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone.

@dode, even though we are well into our 40s, three "lads" skiing means you're only ever as nervous as the bravest person that day! I'm sure we'll be fine, but will certainly suggest there are runs other than red 5 available Very Happy

@sheffskibod, not sure if you've seen it but the video of la longia on the 'inspired italy' YouTube channel is the reason I started to research a visit to the dolomites. Awesome!
snow report
@Owls101, The piste map shows 8 specific runs called the legendary 8. We dubbed them the hateful 8 but they are really not that bad for decent intermediates and it's nice to tick them off.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy