Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts close to Denver?

Poster: A snowHead
Of course, I'm prejudiced (I teach there), but you might investigate Copper (www.coppercolorado.com). It's famous for terrain naturally segregated by skier ability, so beginners , intermediates and experts can ski runs with other skiers going at the same speed. It's no more than 25 minutes from five other resorts (Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone, Loveland, Arapahoe Basin). If you stay in Frisco, you're located right in the middle of all of them. There's a free bus to all the mountains. Good luck!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey mike_m, welcome to snowHead !

Hope to catch up with you in Colorado in Jan/Feb.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The best way to acclimatise to the altitude in Colorado (Aspen 8000 ft base, Breckenridge > 9000 base - and it is the height you sleep at which gives you the real problems) is to go to Wyoming! JH has a base at 6000 feet, more skiing in/below the tree line, and is a short airplane hop from Denver, with a 15 minute transfer to the town at the other end. I would love to try Winter Park one day, but cannot understand why people don't try resorts beyond Summit county... (Mike-m - I think Copper is by far the best of the Summit County hills).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004,

I don't have too much trouble with altitude, although I get a bit dehydrated by air conditioning at low altitude and excessive heating in mountain hotels.

Keeping hydrated is essential, as others have pointed out. I usually soak a bath towel with water, and hang it up in the hotel room to humidify the room at night. - Also try filling the bath with hot water and wedging the door open.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
conor, Would you recommendfind Zephr Mountain Lodge? I'm thinking of booking this because it's ski in/out. As we're used to staying in hotels would we find it impersonal? And where do we get breakfast?! Would it be nicer to stay in downtown WP and forego the ski in/out? (It doesn't matter to me - I'll live on porridge, but husband likes hotel breakfasts!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004, We would recommend iron horse, although dont bother with their breakfast its not worth the extra money, make your own in your room.

Its ski in / ski out although to ski in is via mary jane which means going to the top of the mountain to ski back in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Royal wrote:
Its ski in / ski out although to ski in is via mary jane which means going to the top of the mountain to ski back in.

...and the problem with that is? snowHead

A blast down MJ at the end of the day is worth it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I'll have it, its a great run at full tilt !

(just a pain having to go back up a lift to get to your hotel)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica,

you will hear all sorts of things about the altitude. the advice given here is good. i have soken to several local physicians that i trust and they are not keen on any prescriptions. one doc i trust insists a diet three days prior high in complex carbs seems to help.

my personal opinion (read non scientific) is that many issues may well be related as much to jet lag and over doing it on day one of a holiday. i tell folks to ski a couple hours, eat light meals of fruit and pasta, take a nap, get a massage, soak in the hot springs, and go easy on the booze on day one.

catching the first lift, skiing all day and then drinking past midnight is a good way to wear oneself out at any altitude!

remember....WP is not particularly high at the base (8k)

in terms of lodging the Zephyr is a little newer than the Iron Horse and is at the base area. the Iron Horse is between the Mary Jane side and Winter Park sides of the resort and as explained requires access at days end from the Jane trail. knowing what i do about the town i would not feel obliged to pay for ski in/out. the transit system is superb. the bus runs all the time.

heck.....worse case scenario stay in WP or Fraser and i'll swing by and pick you up on the way to work in the morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
he will too, i remember getting one or two early morning phone calls from him ! Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rusty Guy, How can we not come, with a welcome like that! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, the Zephyr is a lovely place to stay. Very luxurious (by my standards anyway) and spacious rooms. Outdoor hot tubs and a gym too. It is all self-catering. It is ski-in/out - about 20 yards from the nearest lift! I would highly recommend it - we spent our honeymoon there and were not disappointed. They also have their own free bus service to town that'll take you whenever you want to go (stops about midnight IIRC).

I place quite a high value on ski-in/out. No-one likes trudging around in boots. It depend on your priorities. I would rather be closer to the skiing and bus it to town than the other way round.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a wonderful trip! If you ski with Rusty, be gentle with him!

Hi, Fox! Yep, see you in Aspen!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for everyone's advice - have just booked Zephr for 10 days 13th Jan. I see on WP website that they are offering 'season passes' for $369 (WP and CopperM) - would that be a good buy? We're travelling with Ski Independance - good price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, the season pass is probably almost as cheap as the 10 day pass, BUT... with the season pass you get discounts in resort shops/restaurants, etc, which can make it even better value. (at least that's how it used to work)
ski holidays
erica2004, IF the "four pack" is still being offered incremental savings are available via the four pack. it is a pass granting four days skiing for $99.00. that would be a few dollars less than a season pass.

typically the four pack is not offered all season.
latest report
Hi! Another Copper Employee here! Yet I can say without prejudice that our mountain has the best variety for all levels! Also, you are in close proximity to other resorts, making Summit County a snow sliders playground. If that does not tempt you, there are many follks from Epic, who also post here, who would love to make your visit an enjoyable one!
ski holidays
Since one of the main problems with the altitude is dehydration, make sure you stay hydrated on your trans-atlantic flight - even if it does mean you have to get up to go to the loo every half-hour (but that helps guard against DVT)! Alternatively, you could drive from JFK - it's only 3 1/2 days in good weather! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy