Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

please help me choose a family friendly resort near Turin!

Poster: A snowHead
hi there,

I'm from South Africa, but have done a fair amount of snowboarding (ski season in Tahoe in the US, A wide range of Swiss resorts, Mayrhofen in Austria).

I've been wanting to take my family on a ski trip, as some of the best holidays I've had, have been in the snow (and we don't get much of that here in south africa).

On a whim, I booked some cheap flights to Turin for 14-21 Jan next year (the dates work well with leave, and the South African school calender). Now, having started researching nearby resorts, I'm realising the choice is bigger than I thought. I've never skied in Italy, or France. I chose Turin as originally I'd read the Puy St Vincent was a good family option. I'm now just wondering if there are better options, that I could put together on a DIY basis. I'm happy to rent a car. We'd prefer an apartment with a kitchen - not a hotel/chalet.

So... any suggestions?

Bearing in mind, the rest of my family have not done much skiing at all. My wife wants ski lessons. My son (6y) will also want ski lessons), and our 2y old daughter will need some creche time in the am. Then, in the afternoon, we can do family stuff like sledding, snowmen, ice skate etc. We'll do a mix of restaurants and self catering.

Part of the appeal for this type of holiday for us is that this type of cold weather living is so foreign to us, we don't get any snow really. Just seeing snow is a novelty for my kids. So I'm looking for a village that also encompasses that alpine lifestyle that we don't see every day and maybe has things like ice rinks, outdoor hot pools, nice restaurants - as we are not only there for the skiing. So a nice town/village would be great too.

I've been trying to research, but there is just so much its a bit overwhelming. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks everyone
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montgenevre, transfer is just 1 hour 15 mins. Check out Go-Montgenevre for accommodation, lots of choice to suit all budgets

https://www.go-montgenevre.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ava1981, My biggest suggestion would be to wait till next January to book. January is a quieter time of the season and getting accommodation is always fairly straightforward, conditions can vary quite significantly and many of the resorts most easily accessed from Turin have a very variable snow record, some years good other years not so good. I am less sure about things like creche availability however and how soon that needs to be booked.

Puy St Vincent has a great reputation for families , it is not really a traditional resort though and other activities are probably limited based on my visits which have admittedly only been for day trips.

I would take a look at Monetier in Serre Chevalier if you are looking for somewhere a bit more traditional it has an attractive old village center and natural thermal springs.

Montgenevre as mentioned above is convenient from Turin but for some lacks a little in Alpine atmosphere.
If the snow is a little lacking around the more southern resorts you could head through the Frejus tunnel into some of the resorts in the Maurienne valley or up the Aosta valley.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think creche might be your limiting factor? Maybe look at Ski Esprit (various places) or Ski Champoluc for childcare packaging?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name,
I'm pretty sure Monetier used to have a creche and probably still does.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@T Bar, Monetier-les-Bains does indeed have a creche and facilities. Plenty of good quality self-catering and restaurants. My own apartment management has access to discounted lift passes and her husband is a ski instructor. There is also a thermal spa close to the ski lifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another shout for Monetier in Serre Chevalier. Aside from the skiing, a 20min car journey will take you to Briancon - the highest city in France. The old town, of narrow streets, is charming and well-worth the visit if you’re so inclined.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bardonecchia and Sauze d'Oulx both easily accessible from turin. I've only briefly visited the former but looked a nice little family resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surferrosa wrote:
Montgenevre, transfer is just 1 hour 15 mins. Check out Go-Montgenevre for accommodation, lots of choice to suit all budgets

https://www.go-montgenevre.com

Ordinarily I would say I'd agree with this suggestion but in this case I'm not sure Montgenevre is the best option for the OP. They are looking for a bit of Alpine charm, something to do in the afternoons outside of skiing, a few restaurants etc.
We were there this year at a similar time (Jan 21st) and really enjoyed it and will probable return next year. Kids were 9, 7 and 3.75 at the time.
But I thought the place was lacking in atmosphere, a lot of restaurants seemed closed and those that were open were pretty average and there wasn't a huge amount to do.
That didn't bother us unduly as we had a great time skiing - the snow was brilliant, ski schools for the kids were excellent and we self catered in an apartment / chalet that was perfect.
The youngest did morning Club Piou Piou and they were excellent with her. Teh older girls were with APeak and they were also top class.

But as the OP is coming from South Africa with some specific requirements I'm not sure Montgenevre is exactly what they're looking for. Problem is I'm not sure where is!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickH wrote:
Bardonecchia and Sauze d'Oulx both easily accessible from turin. I've only briefly visited the former but looked a nice little family resort.
Thanks - I contacted Bardonecchia and they don't have creche. I'll check with Sauze.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you, we are probably going to rent a car, so if we are in Montgenevre we could drive to Briancon and/or Serre Chevalier if we feel then need for a change of scene I guess. I received a quote for 650GBP for a 2 bed apartment for a week in Montgenevre, which sounds pretty reasonable?

The Aosta valley looks nice, but creche is limited to Pila only.

I'm also looking into Monetier which seems like a good option.

I think there isn't a one shoe fits all scenario here, especially if we are looking for the ski in/out type of convenience. The sacrifice will be the village atmosphere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ava1981, the location of quite a few apartments in/around the place owned by Hells Bells is practically at the foot of the ski area in Monetier. Probably the closest one might get to ski in/out without being right on a piste.There are a few nursery slope options there too plus quite a nice bar/cafe/restaurant. The walk into town (typical charming alpine town) really isn’t far at all - 5 mins.

Of the two, I’d say Serre Chevalier (Monetier) has more to offer than Montgenevre, both of which I’ve skied at and enjoyed. Incidentally, the ski pass for each area also offers 1 day in the other….or certainly used to. I’ve not been for a few years now!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ava1981, You got it right first time! Puy St Vincent 1600 is a perfect place to take a mixed ability family skiing. You only have six days so concentrate on the the skiing and being up in the mountains. Being purpose built, everything is made easy for you. The crèche, ski school, ski hire, lifts, pistes and restaurants are outside your front door. The views are some of the best in the alps. The compact ski area has great variety and you’re never more than 15 minutes away from each other. It’s easy to diy, but for your first trip and with a small child you may be better going with Snow Bizz who will organise everything including English speaking child care and ski lessons. I have no association with Snow Bizz other than being a customer once 30 years ago and have been back to PSV nearly every year since.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi there, We ended up having to postpone this trip as I broke my foot surfing! I plan to rebook for next year, but have a spanner in the works. A friend has recommended Serfas-Fiss-Ladis as a really good family oriented option. Does anyone have any experience of how this weighs up against montgenevre? The main benefit from our point of view is that we can take one flight from cape town to munich, and then make our way to the report, vs 2 flights to Turin. if anyone has any comparisons I'd be all ears. PS another benefit is that my daughter will now be 3, and therefore no creche is needed as she can join the ski schools.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ava1981 wrote:
hi there, We ended up having to postpone this trip as I broke my foot surfing! I plan to rebook for next year, but have a spanner in the works. A friend has recommended Serfas-Fiss-Ladis as a really good family oriented option. Does anyone have any experience of how this weighs up against montgenevre? The main benefit from our point of view is that we can take one flight from cape town to munich, and then make our way to the report, vs 2 flights to Turin. if anyone has any comparisons I'd be all ears. PS another benefit is that my daughter will now be 3, and therefore no creche is needed as she can join the ski schools.

I haven't been but it has a really good reputation as a family orientated resort. Having been to other resorts in the area the only downside is I suspect it will be a fair bit pricier than Montgenevre and the resorts around Turin which are pretty cheap by European skiing standards. Sorry about your foot.
latest report
There is generally a greater choice of ski accommodation for all budgets (from basic budget cramped up to super luxury with pools, massage rooms and cinema rooms.....) in France than in Austria, where there are many more hotels. Just be sure, wherever you go, that your accommodation is within an EASY walk of the ski school meeting place. Which in ski boots, with kids who can't (or won't) carry their own equipment and will be tired after lessons). Don't be fooled by people who will assure you it's super easy to get around on busses. Not with kids including a little one, in ski boots, with lots of equipment to carry it isn't.

Hope your foot gets better soon.
ski holidays
@ava1981, can you fly to Milan? Not a massive drive to any of the Italian resorts then.
ski holidays
Quote:

@ava1981, can you fly to Milan? Not a massive drive to any of the Italian resorts then.

@Hells_Bells unfortunately not - very limited direct flights from cape Town. we have Zurich and Munich as options.
snow conditions
Alpine charm, ice rink etc ….. Arosa in Switzerland, a 3 hour stunning train journey from Zurich.
snow conditions
ava1981 wrote:
hi there, We ended up having to postpone this trip as I broke my foot surfing!

So you are already practicing wearing one ski boot then? These newbies, so impatient Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy