Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2023 Easter ski thread

Poster: A snowHead
With a second time teacher… feel sorry for everyone else around.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whats going on in the ski resorts during the Easter holidays?
i mean Friday, Sunday and Monday. Also Saturday.
Are open as usual?
superM, restaurants, etc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Leaving at 4am tomorrow for a 7:30 tunnel, and then a slog through the day to hit Tignes tomorrow night - snow permitting...

Packing the car and roofbox tonight, food supplies for the journey being made now. Just about to reacquaint myself with the joys of snow-chain installation. Wish me luck. It will all be worth it on Sunday morning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rainman, good luck!

Our pickup is 3am. Thankfully we are paying for taxi to airport so hopefully we can get a bit more sleep this year Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, I'm slightly jealous!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rainman wrote:
@NickyJ, I'm slightly jealous!

Laughing It was easiest option too far to Heathrow with my car to get there and back without needing to find lots of chargers and hubby's car won't fit all the stuff in. Even if we took mine I can only fit everything in with the roofbox. December trip we use Bournemouth airport so no issues but no useful flights from there in April
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just arrived in Calais. Smooth Chunnel crossing. Absolutely howling wind and rain here though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My three year old grand daughter who we are meeting up with tomorrow has just thrown up near Reigate. They only started in Guildford so it’s going to be a long (smelly) journey.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Owlette, its pretty vile this side, grumpy to here it's horrible French side too Crying or Very sad

Safe drives all!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh no, our eldest son did that a few years ago. He'd never been car sick before. Suddenly we caught a whiff of something from the back of the car... Had to stop and clean it up!!

Thankfully we were holidaying in the UK then and he's never been car/travel sick since.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski wrote:
My three year old grand daughter who we are meeting up with tomorrow has just thrown up near Reigate. They only started in Guildford so it’s going to be a long (smelly) journey.

Oh no that's horrible! Our youngest once threw up in a rental after a particularly windy mountain decent (definitely not my driving).

It won't stop raining! I keep looking at it thinking that this will all be snow in the Alps in a few hours!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have kept on truckin’ through the rain and it’s a lovely evening just outside Dijon. Been a long day, but not too far from the overnight stop now. Happy holidays everyone. Last year we left St Martin after a very mixed week as heavy snow was settling and we were gutted. Am hoping we got the timing better this time…!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Almost at our overnight stop in Auxerre too. Finally seeing some blue skies, but that wind is still trying to throw us all over the place.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any issues with the fuel along the motorway? Sorry if its already been asked too many times..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ed48, we have not seen any issues along the way today, in either any of the autoroute service stations we stopped in, or fuel stations in and around albertville, or driving out of Caen this morning.

Left Caen this morning around 9ish as ferry was late, and arrived in albertville for our overnight stop at about 6pm.
With a couple of loo stops, and one fuel/food stop at Auxerre services

Was really happy with fuel consumption of the car, just mainly set it on cruise control for 60MPH, and tootled on down.

I would have had enough to reach VT in the morning but I filled up anyway, as I have to make a trip to Geneva airport Sunday eve to pick up youngest daughter.

So by taking it easy I can get to the the alps on 2full tanks at an average of about £60 per tank

It has been P!!!!ng it down here in albertville since we arrived, with thunder and lighting.
Has also been windy along most of the route

Safe travels and happy holidays everyone
latest report
Good journey to the Grand Massif today. Started well with an hour earlier than expected bump on the tunnel so crossed at 6.45am. Crazy wind and rain 4 degrees and hail - proper squalls with twigs, leaves and spray and then 21degree sunshine at Aire de Jura with people picnicking! Arrive GM at 5.30 just as the rain and thunderstorms gathered. It’s still hailing and raining now… Eh oh! snow up top!
No issues getting - or queues for - fuel.
Trickiest feat was scooping the peage ticket into the car before it was blown away!

Safe travels all!
snow report
We had no fuel issues, only stopped at our usual D’Urvilliers on A6 so far. Didn’t have to wait at all. Hugely overpriced compared to my usual Tesco extra stop but guess to be expected on the autoroute, same in U.K.
snow conditions
Freestyle wrote:

Trickiest feat was scooping the peage ticket into the car before it was blown away!

I concur with this wholeheartedly!

We're safely in Auxerre, bit those last 40kms were a bit hairy, being buffeted by the wind and with lashing rain. And the unwelcome discovery of a lack of cats eyes on the motorway!

Found a bowling alley round the corner from the hotel, so that's been good fun.
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
We had no fuel issues, only stopped at our usual D’Urvilliers on A6 so far. Didn’t have to wait at all. Hugely overpriced compared to my usual Tesco extra stop but guess to be expected on the autoroute, same in U.K.

There are good supermarket options just off the motorway.
ski holidays
All tucked up in Bethune, after a bit of a longer journey than usual to get to the tunnel. Friday pm traffic and bucketing rain not helping.

Onward to ValTho tomorrow!

Meteo Bleu forecasting 30-50cm snow Very Happy
ski holidays
@Layne, thanks, good point, stopped close to one of those tonight near Mâcon so that’s the plan first thing!
latest report
Tucked up in Edinburgh airport hotel. Heading to Selva tomorrow.
snow report
Making our way to Paris tomorrow afternoon, then a breakfast time TGV etc to Moûtiers on Sunday, there by 2:30 and then up to Val Thorens.

Wanted a break from the very early starts … you could cut the family atmosphere with a knife at Gatwick on our last two holidays Laughing
snow conditions
Having sat in a traffic jam on M62 for 2hrs, we arrived 15mins late for our tunnel check-in. Instead of 22:35, we are booked on 04:20! On stand-by queue but 3 trains gone through without our queue moving. Going to be a long journey tomorrow…
latest report
Critical issue declared at Dover as there are apparently a lot of coaches wanting to get on. Some poor school kids holidays getting off to a bad start.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65143093
snow report
Oh dear god. I am exhausted. The overnight train to Bourg from St P was brutal. Maybe got a few minutes sleep. There were quite a few spare seats at least so tried to stretch out whilst wishing I was much shorter than I am.

Not entirely sure I'll do the train again tbh. But here now and on our way up to Tignes
ski holidays
@Dougie, Oh no!! Not what you need to start your holiday. Hoping you're well through by now!
snow report
We’re just heading up into La Plagne now, it says on the main roads snow chains are obligatory, has anyone gone up yet?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are in transit from Munich to Mayrhofen. I guess they are also on school holidays huge amounts of traffic Sad
snow report
Judging my the loads most are off with bikes rather than skis
snow report
The place to go for a quiet weeks holiday this week I expect is Belgium as they are ALL on the move.

We've passed the steely cock at the Bourg aire and traffic most definitely picking up so going to be a long afternoon I fear.
ski holidays
Arrived in St Anton (Pettnau) after two long days driving Aviemore-Calais/ Calais-Bludenz. Lucky to hit only one traffic jam, in Basel. Fab night in Bludenz last night and early access to apartment so chilling out for the afternoon. Was snowing above Stuben at 1200. Looking forward to playing in the fresh tomorrow snowHead
ski holidays
Currently an hour from Tignes. Really good going so far. Very lucky at Dover last night. They put us on the 1930 which left at 2255 5 minutes after our booked crossing.

About 45 minutes for passports and check in. UK border force nowhere to be seen.
snow conditions
We left Tignes on Friday afternoon to avoid potential transfer
day problems. Quite a storm last night and chains mandated.

Currently south of Reims heading North and we're seeing an awful lot of roof box equipped Brit cars going South.

Result of delays or travelling at this time by choice?
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:

Currently south of Reims heading North and we're seeing an awful lot of roof box equipped Brit cars going South.

Result of delays or travelling at this time by choice?

My guess would be choice: leaving this morning to avoid having to drive through the night.
ski holidays
Now 20 mins from Tignes roads still clear and it's very quiet!
latest report
Have arrived in La lac roads clear all the way to resort.
snow report
@Stuski, Thank you. Useful intelligence.
ski holidays
Arrived in Belle Plagne about 5.30pm, decided to skip the supermarket stop to make sure we beat the weather - quite glad I did, it was light snow when we arrived, now it's pretty heavy.
snow conditions
Uneventful drive down and now installed in the apt in Val Thorens, beer in hand before we go for a meal.
The roads were totally clear all the way up. It’s started snowing now, but only a light covering.

Have a great week all snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy