Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do for 3 days on the route from PDS to Calais, with kids

Poster: A snowHead
hi folks,

Skiing with kids a week in PDS in the beginning of April, don't have to be back for work or schools until 3 days later so decided to extend the holiday and take it easy with driving back to Calais.

The problem is that I can't find anything interesting on the way back, would want to avoid city centres due to the current unrest and we are not very keen on Disney etc.

So currently it looks like 3 hrs driving per day plus stopping at some ocasional chateaus and minor local attractions on the way, staying in F1 or PC - not too exciting or relaxing.

Ideally I would want something like a Siblu with waterpark and multisports or some chalet next to a national park for walks, completely out of ideas where/what to look for in this part of France in April. Geneva area would be an option too, but I am not sure kids would be interested in more mountains after a week of skiing.

Any suggestions ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of my family enjoyed Nigloland - very good value compared to similar attractions in UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nnnnnn, ….the steamers on Lake Geneva are great in any weather - from Geneve to Vevey etc … and at the end of the lake there is the excellent Swiss Vapeur Parc - operating small scale steam trains - which is great for smaller kids, although even our kids liked it when they were 11-12.

The Foret d’Orient is a beautiful area mid way through France if you like natural contexts. Huge lakes, wetlands and forest.

I’ll have a further think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This place, near Troyes, where you can stay overnight, is great fun for kids. https://www.western-city.fr/ The man who runs it is a real enthusiast - has put years of dedication into it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How old are the kids?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My grandchildren enjoyed the Calais dragon. https://www.calais-cotedopale.co.uk/discovering/the-calais-dragon

The 5 year old, a desperately active and adventurous climbing sort of girl, fell and cut herself quite badly. They had to go in search of stitches, which proved very time-consuming. Fortunately her mother is bilingual - most of us would have struggled. It made them very late for their Eurotunnel crossing but when they heard the sad tale Eurotunnel waived the substantial additional cost of a later train.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.guedelon.fr/en
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all suggestions, will check it out after work
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are War memorials in Northern France many quite impressive and thought provoking.
Near the motorway home ...
Also remnants of the flying rocket sites launched against London https://www.leblockhaus.com/en
and
https://lacoupole-france.com/en/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Visit one of the big Champagne houses near Epernay or Reims and do a tour of the cellars.

It's good for you...interesting and champagne to taste.
Inexpensive.
Kids are usually free
Off season so not at all busy
....and huge caves and cellars, full of interesting stuff...dark and subterranean kids love that sort of thing and the guides enjoy having kids around as it makes a nice change for them.

For kids I think this one would be the best...huge, a tower to climb with great views and lots of diorama stuff underground showing the historical processes of champagne making.
https://www.castellane.com/en/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As @boredsurfin, says. Vimy Ridge is worth a look and Agincourt isn't far away, although just a field iirc. More war museums at Dunkirk and worth a visit, but that depends on your children and their ages.

Not sure where home is, but on the UK side, you've got Dover Castle, Canterbury Cathedral (Canterbury & Reims are twinned so you could do both)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Some of my family enjoyed Nigloland

My kids always loved Nigloland...and it's pretty much in the Foret D'Orient that someone else mentioned.

Personally, I'd stay at a Huttopia site as a mini break somewhere on the way back. Set in glorious forests and you can choose your level of glamping (we love the Trappeur tents with log fires). If you're canny, you can find sites on the edge of lovely French towns or by lakes. Some definitely have covered, heated pools. In summer (for info) they have lots of free activities for kids and entertainment for adults. We've been going for nearly 10 years!

https://europe.huttopia.com/en/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This place has an awesome indoor water park, zip wires and that sort of stuff. I think they do day passes as fairly ££ to stay over.
https://www.centerparcs.fr/fr-fr/france/fp_LA_vacances-domaine-le-lac-d-ailette
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Châteaux Chillon on the banks of Lake Geneva (Lac Léman) near Villeneuve is a great castle to visit. Just off the A9 autoroute around the eastern side of the lake. You can park there or in Villeneuve and catch a restored Belle Epoch paddle-steamer from the CGN fleet and combine it with a boat tour of the eastern side of the lake. If you wanted to do the Château and a paddle-steamer tour in the same day, then it'd be easier to park at Villeneuve or Chillon and start/end the lake trip at the same place, without disembarking.

The regular CGN scheduled commuter ferries also connect various places around the lake, both Swiss and French sides, including Geneva, Lausanne, Évian-les-Bains, Villeneuve etc. - but you need to look at the specific routes if you want a day out.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 24-03-23 14:22; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know you said you want to avoid cities but last year we camped about 20mins bike ride from Eiffel Tower through a big park, tagged on to the end of our April ski trip & it was glorious riding around to see things & didn’t really have to mix with the groups of people or go on any public transport. Our kid seemed to like the boating fountains. I couldn’t really find anything better to do & would do it again.
snow conditions
Disney and the Centre Parcs village at Disney. Magic Breaks usually have very good deals including eurotunnel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy