Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

french striking

Poster: A snowHead
@hamilton, I watched a Titan from LGW skirt round French airspace only to divert from Chambery to Grenoble because of a thunderstorm.

Quite a few of the Hotelplan guests in Tignes arrived after midnight thanks to various probs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contemplating moving our Thursday crossing to late Wednesday evening to avoid strike day.
Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel within an hour drive of calais just to get a few hours sleep?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pick from the map on here:
https://www.hotel-bb.com/fr

Cheap cheerful and clean
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boarderfarce, akena in bezannes it’s a 2 hour drive but worth it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gridlocked in Grenoble this morning as various roundabouts etc have been blocked by smelly students striking for the grand parents pensions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
While not overly concerned I wonder if anyone has any advice for those of us driving out this weekend based upon what’s happened previously? My plan is catching eurotunnel early Friday morning and staying in Albertville Friday evening and leaving early Saturday for Tignes Val Claret.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@brovert, Arrive at the Tunnel with a full tank (especially if its petrol rather than Diesel) and top up so you have enough to do the 1000km journey perhaps half way down. As the General Strike is Thursday this week there is unlikely to be any road blocks at Chambery or Albertville on Friday (after all its a public holiday over here!). Same for Saturday, but if you leave at 8 you'll sail up here in 90 minutes. Call in at LeClerc in Aime and top up again. Currently its due to stop snowing on Friday afternoon, so the roads should be clear.

And then enjoy the massive amounts of snow we have, but sharp edges might be in order.... But bring sun tan lotion and beer vouchers.

That covers it I think!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As the General Strike is Thursday this week there is unlikely to be any road blocks at Chambery or Albertville on Friday (after all its a public holiday over here!).

It’s only a public holiday in Alsace and Moselle, Friday is not a public holiday in the rest of France, Easter Monday is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andmelffion, Ooops, google is not always spot on!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brovert, helpful question. Thank you.

Same situation. Chunnel Friday lunchtime, Dijon overnight stay. Les Arcs on Saturday.

Not been aware of strike issue till yesterday. Plan to fill up before leaving England. Then filling up whenever we stop for bathroom breaks. We have 400/500 miles in the tank - so expect to be stopping for nature breaks before we hit half a tank left…
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have seen other posts that suggest autoroute fill ups have been ok…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've not managed to get the day off work tomorrow so we will be travelling Thursday as originally planned. I'll update here if we get any issues due to the strikes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boarderfarce, not sure where you are going, but for Strike Day in early March we were heading for La Plagne. We got tunnel night before and overnight at Dijon. We avoided Chambery by going via Annecy. No problems until we got to Albertville where all roads in were chocka with queues of cars. Road from Annecy not too bad - took us 30 mins to get down to N90, but N90 was solid with static traffic going towards Albertville. Road out was clear, but was a fight to get onto it due to cars coming in refusing to budge and allow movement across junctions and roundabouts, so another 30 minutes to get out. Could have been worse.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, that doesn't sound awful.
We are headed to les deux alpes so further south and going round Lyon. Most worried about the ques around Dover tomorrow. We will just have to roll with it now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At the port now. Took about half an hour to get through boarder control, no real issues. All ferries seem to be running on time
snow conditions
WFH for the missus today, she arrived at work to find it blockaded with burning palettes and anarchists threatening anyone who tried to enter. U-turn and now back home.

Most people who already can WFH are doing so, so the roads are quiet despite the road blocks here and there. Autoroutes from the coast to the Alps are clear.
ski holidays
interesting. Where exactly do you live?
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:
interesting. Where exactly do you live?

Grenoble

misery for some commuters this morning but not anwhere likely to affect snowheads, just people who can't telework struggling to get into their jobs

ski holidays
According to Google Maps, N90 closed at Albertville. Anyone has any updates on that. I'm sitting in the airplane now waiting to departure to Lyon. Supposed to collect a car at the airport and drive to Val D. Is there a way to avoid N90 at Albertville?
snow conditions
Koleoptero wrote:
According to Google Maps, N90 closed at Albertville. Anyone has any updates on that. I'm sitting in the airplane now waiting to departure to Lyon. Supposed to collect a car at the airport and drive to Val D. Is there a way to avoid N90 at Albertville?

It will almost certainly be clear later otherwise you can drive through town but everyone will be doing the same.
ski holidays
I feel for you Davidof if you had a chilled day at home planned and now the Mrs is home working. On a serious note blocking roads to protest is counter productive if you cheese the public off, Extinction Rebellion eventually worked that out.
snow report
No Style wrote:
I feel for you Davidof if you had a chilled day at home planned and now the Mrs is home working.

Smile

No I'm at work. Roads clear for me.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Koleoptero wrote:

It will almost certainly be clear later otherwise you can drive through town but everyone will be doing the same.

silly question : are the protesters not agressive? with cars etc which are waiting in front of them?
btw , is there a link where we can find the time/place from these protest?

I am heading als at Saturday to La Plagne. At least to know what do i have to expect
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:

I am heading als at Saturday to La Plagne. At least to know what do i have to expect

You'll be fine.

the photos I posted are from various points in France but generally where the protestors can cause the most pain. The VRU in Chambery was blocked a week ago - they started fires and caused 200K of damage to tunnel but unlikely at the weekend - even protestors need a day off

the protestors can get aggressive if you try to force your way through - there are a lot of neanderthals around - best bet is to be calm in the unlikely event you come across a road block

they don't announce where they will be in advance.
snow conditions
some scenes from the savoie

VRU Chambery

Albertville, McDonalds - highway/autoroute is closed but you can get round on the D990 but it is slow going

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 6-04-23 13:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
oh yeah
how it is possible tha tom-tom says from e.g. Chamonix bis La Plagne through Albertville, no delays etc? is the N90 open?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
turms2 wrote:

You'll be fine.

the photos I posted are from various points in France but generally where the protestors can cause the most pain. The VRU in Chambery was blocked a week ago - they started fires and caused 200K of damage to tunnel but unlikely at the weekend - even protestors need a day off

the protestors can get aggressive if you try to force your way through - there are a lot of neanderthals around - best bet is to be calm in the unlikely event you come across a road block

they don't announce where they will be in advance.

however i saw that they blocked the way in Albertville this Saturday in the Half Term holidays.
And Chamonix Tunnel i think. They will definitely will do something also this Weekend.
The question is when and where
ski holidays
@turms2, They only block the roads in Albertville and Chambery on strike days. Saturday is not notified as one. Last Saturday was remarkably quiet. You can work round Albertville using the normal roads through town. I think the Prefect has now closed the whole of the VRU through Chambery to prevent gridlock around the suburbs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@turms2, They only block the roads in Albertville and Chambery on strike days. Saturday is not notified as one. Last Saturday was remarkably quiet. You can work round Albertville using the normal roads through town. I think the Prefect has now closed the whole of the VRU through Chambery to prevent gridlock around the suburbs.

ok thanks. Hope it will stay so. I will notice that here if something happens. To keep other people updated
snow conditions
My daughter took an Altibus shuttle first thing today from St Martin to GVA and arrived well ahead of schedule, no trouble in Albertville or Moutiers at all.
ski holidays
@Skimum1, The Albertville gang always meet at the Mairie at 10, having had a lie in. Chambery is a bit more unpredictable.

Currently the roundabout outside Macdonalds in Albertville is on fire as they set light to the pine trees.
snow report
@chocksaway, wow Shocked
I did think it was pretty plain sailing but wondered if things were running out of steam a little. Clearly not…
ski holidays
Albertville and Chambery fine this morning between 8am and 9am this morning actually perfect journey to Calais howeverroute to Eurotunnel clear exits into Calais gridlocked the Roundabout by McDs taken over by the strikers no chance of a takeaway for the tunnel
snow report
@Skimum1, I think the feeling is the numbers of protesters are down slightly but the level of violence has risen. For instance, there was a demo outside a Brasserie in Paris where Macron visited after his win in 2017. Some black masked demonstrators then attacked the place - guilty by association I presume. But I guess there's a restauranteur who is feeling a bit aggrieved.
latest report
Still smoke, small fires and delays at Albertville at 1900 when our son was heading up.
Thought by that time the protesters would have headed home or to a bar.
latest report
Next National Strike Thursday 13th April, which I believe is the day before the Consitutional Court issues its verdict on the new law - could be a BIGGY!
snow report
Due to arrive Albertville later on this afternoon staying at Ibis Styles close to where yesterday’s protest was. Anybody aware of any likely issues?
latest report
@brovert, Nothing on local news websites, traffic flowing freely. You may see the end of the clean up of burn't out skips, pallets etc!
ski holidays
No trouble at all today driving from troyes to L2A. Plenty of fuel. Picked up skis and passes. Ready for early lift. Happy days
latest report
I drove back yesterday from Buis les Baronnies in Provence, after a 3 week climbing trip. I had no problems driving back over the last 2 days, but I did notice there were some auto route stations with no fuel, but I just drove to the next one. However, during the last strike, 3 weeks ago, there were 2-3 days where it was difficult to get fuel around the south east of France, this included auto route stations where the pumps were all closed off with barriers, this was around Toulon/Marseille where we spent the first week.
I don't know what it was like further north, at that time, but I would be wary about driving from the UK if there are more strikes when you are actually travelling. The shortages happened very quickly, overnight, in fact, don't know if this was panic buying.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy