Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

french striking

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks @Skimum1. And @chocksaway.

Looks as if I will have to go back to the websites nearer the time to see if there is disruption next weekend.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 25-03-23 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drove from Macon to Samoens via Nantua today, mostly on D roads and fuel stations operating as normal as far as I could see. Filled up with diesel no problem. Snow at low altitude is more the problem of course....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j b wrote:
davidof wrote:
Trains are currently the biggest transport issue.

Is there a good source on which days trains are affected by strikes?

The sncf have been on strike for a couple of weeks now with a limited service. The local trains are the worst affected but some of the TGV services are not great.
Take Grenoble this Monday, first TGV you can get to Paris in the morning is 9.47 and last is 14.46, everything before and after is cancelled. If a train is shown as "full/complet" on the app it is probably not full but going to be cancelled - the train is not available for booking but may run and be opened if the SNCF can get drivers and guards.

I think Eurostar is better as it is not directly the SNCF but they rely on the track service.

Another tactic at the moment is someone from the unions climbing on the train when it stops and leaving an empty rucksack. They then signal this to the train crew who have to call in bomb disposal which can result in the train being cancelled or delayed. This has happened 3 times over the last 2 months to trains my wife takes to Paris. She's ended up losing days of work which has to be made up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
billb wrote:
Drove from Macon to Samoens via Nantua today, mostly on D roads and fuel stations operating as normal as far as I could see. Filled up with diesel no problem. Snow at low altitude is more the problem of course....

Sounds like the UK when a few villages struggled without fuel & the anti-establishment media reported it as a national shortage across the whole country
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:
Les Arcs?? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

You'll be easily skiing in Les Arcs at the end of April...easily!

Just been looking at the snowcams for Les Arcs and it is snowing hard! Bit overcast but visibility still good.

Hope it is not a case of you can have the snow, OR you can have the roads and transport but you can not have the transport AND the snow!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 26-03-23 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
j b wrote:
davidof wrote:

The sncf have been on strike for a couple of weeks now with a limited service. The local trains are the worst affected but some of the TGV services are not great.
Take Grenoble this Monday, first TGV you can get to Paris in the morning is 9.47 and last is 14.46, everything before and after is cancelled. If a train is shown as "full/complet" on the app it is probably not full but going to be cancelled - the train is not available for booking but may run and be opened if the SNCF can get drivers and guards.

I think Eurostar is better as it is not directly the SNCF but they rely on the track service.

Another tactic at the moment is someone from the unions climbing on the train when it stops and leaving an empty rucksack. They then signal this to the train crew who have to call in bomb disposal which can result in the train being cancelled or delayed. This has happened 3 times over the last 2 months to trains my wife takes to Paris. She's ended up losing days of work which has to be made up.

Reminds me of working at Portland Naval base in the early 70's. Day before Christmas break somebody would phone in a bomb threat just before lunch, and we would have to evacuate the base down to the pub. Ah-h, the good old days!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,
Any updates for strikes this Saturday please?
Ta
Edit: for Albertville going to Tignes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Warnings everywhere about action at Calais today but we’ve made it onto the quay without delay - of any sort; there are no cars about today.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TCSC47 wrote:
davidof wrote:
j b wrote:
davidof wrote:

Reminds me of working at Portland Naval base in the early 70's. Day before Christmas break somebody would phone in a bomb threat just before lunch, and we would have to evacuate the base down to the pub. Ah-h, the good old days!

Court martial offence in my daya in the RAF. Hoax calls very much frowned on. I remember that there just one case. I think the sentence was Colchester followed by dismissal from Service.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
TCSC47 wrote:
davidof wrote:
j b wrote:
davidof wrote:

Court martial offence in my daya in the RAF. Hoax calls very much frowned on. I remember that there just one case. I think the sentence was Colchester followed by dismissal from Service.

I would have thought so too. I think it was actually an unannounced evacuation practice by the security staff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any update on strikes or fuel shortages from those driving from UK? Hoping the strikes might die down going into easter
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boarderfarce, no issues last weekend on auto route, but appreciate that doesn’t help for this weekend! Although as we will be heading back also hope it’s settled.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next National Strike: 6th April (handy extension to the Easter 4 day break!).
A few more fuel stations without fuel - but there seems to be plenty on the autoroutes from Calais to Bourg.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @chocksaway.

Where did you see the info about the 6th April by the way? I can't see it described on the https://www.cestlagreve.fr/ website yet, but would like to know how likely it is to affect ATC again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@shrew, Was on BBC Breakfast news this morning as part of their coverage of the protests in France yesterday. Next strike day 6th April.
snow conditions
Thanks, but Sad

I know this is a bit of a first world problem, but after BA cancelled our trip the night before we were due to go in December, then more problems in February (Easyjet that time) due to the ATC strikes at half term, I'm getting a touch fed up and can't believe the next strike is on the day we're due to fly out for Easter. It seems you can't look forward to a holiday any more until you've actually made it there!

Sorry, vent over.
latest report
We are due to sail on 6th April. Can anyone comment on how ferries and ports were affected on previous strikes?
latest report
i think that it depends on the crossing, some of the lesser pop ones weren't affected i believe
snow conditions
Just looked on irish ferries website. 5 out of 15 departures were cancelled yesterday. Assume there might be the same level of disruption next week
latest report
if its calais then will be affected, can you change to dunkirk as i believe they were unscathed?
snow report
@ajc2260626, yes it's Calais.
Unfortunately Irish ferries only sail to Calais.
Looks like sailings happened yesterday but will be prepared for possible delays. Travel to France never seems straight forward. Last year we had to battle through the queues on the m20
snow report
So for us, the 6th April is an absolute disaster as it was the day we have booked all rail travel to get my teenager home unaccompanied from the 3V. Presumably I’ll have to rebook everything? Grateful for any advice
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
So for us, the 6th April is an absolute disaster as it was the day we have booked all rail travel to get my teenager home unaccompanied from the 3V. Presumably I’ll have to rebook everything? Grateful for any advice

The rail service is on continous strike, even today.
snow conditions
i had a scare this morning from Brittany Ferries, am travelling tomorrow eve on the overnight ferry.

text came through to me with the following "SAILING UPDATE: due to operational reasons, we have........"

i was expecting it to say that due to industrial action the ferry was going to be cancelled, immediate thoughts of how i was going to re-arrange transport.

when i opened the text up it was just informing me the original ship due to be used had been changed to another one.
panic over, phew!!!!
latest report
Skimum1 wrote:

If you booked direct with SNCF they give you the choice of re-booking or taking a refund. Wish you luck as I’m still waiting for any sort of response to a refund request for a train cancelled on 10th March.
snow report
Skimum1 wrote:
May be wrong, but I think that even on strike days there are quite a few, perhaps 50+%, trains still running. Including Eurostar. You need to check for the specific train(s) you re booked on, and if they are still running everything should be fine.
snow report
@ecureuil, thanks, that would be ideal - everything is showing as running right now but I guess it’s only been announced and there’s not a lot of flexibility in the journey plan if a train ends up not running at all.
Might book a back up flight and a coach transfer but the flight prices are crazy now!!
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
@ecureuil, thanks, that would be ideal - everything is showing as running right now but I guess it’s only been announced and there’s not a lot of flexibility in the journey plan if a train ends up not running at all.
Might book a back up flight and a coach transfer but the flight prices are crazy now!!

The service is announced after 5pm for the next day. Eurostar is less badly affected as it is not the SNCF directly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, where is this announced or is it just checking the SNCF to see if you can still book tix on a particular service? I have tix booked from Moutiers to Bourg on 1/4 at 9.30am so just wondering if I can check in advance tomorrow after 5pm or just turn up at the station....
snow conditions
I have tickets for Paris to Moutiers on the TGV INOUI on Saturday morning and am feeling a sense of pessimism creeping up on me.

Is there are French version of National Rail Enquiries where you can view the live timetables?
ski holidays
Check on voyages.sncf.com for your route after 5pm. As was said above, quite a lot of the TGVs and Eurostars run, even on a strike day, especially tourist oriented routes. The local trains are worst affected.
snow report
Don't know whether many know this....

French strikes are wrecking travel across Europe, says Ryanair Michael O'Leary and he demands Brussels intervention to end flights chaos as.....

French law dictates that domestic flights must be able to continue during strikes by air traffic controllers. International flights that enter French airspace are not similarly protected, however – meaning that a walkout in the country can effectively ground planes across the whole continent. Michael O’Leary, Ryanair's chief executive, said that French air traffic control had asked the budget airline to cancel 60 flights on Wednesday alone.

How French rolling eyes
snow report
riman8 wrote:
@davidof, where is this announced or is it just checking the SNCF to see if you can still book tix on a particular service? I have tix booked from Moutiers to Bourg on 1/4 at 9.30am so just wondering if I can check in advance tomorrow after 5pm or just turn up at the station....

This page seems to be the place to look:

https://www.sncf.com/fr

under the ‘Schedules and Routes’ section. As of today, the TGV INOUI and OUIGO are showing a status of “almost normal”. Which looks promising I guess.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, thanks.

Was considering to book her a wildly overpriced flight to get home instead. But that has made me reflect whether it’s throwing good money after bad!
At a loss (and really should be packing the car!) she’s now thinking of staying at home which is really a shame.
ski holidays
Just received this Security Alert from the company I work for. I'm supposed to fly to Lyon on the 6th. I'm pretty sure they will cancel most of the flights that day:

France: Anticipate, avoid further protests, industrial action over pension reform (Revised)

Category: Civil unrest, Protest/Rally, Transport disruption, Airport disruption

Anticipate and avoid further protests over pension reform in the coming days due to the risk of unrest. Unions have called for an eleventh official day of nationwide mobilization on 6 April. Separate demonstrations are likely ahead of the date. This followed the government’s controversial decision to enact Article 49.3 of the constitution, bypassing a National Assembly (parliament) vote on the reform. Meanwhile, associated strikes have significantly affected public transport services and flights.

Context
Following the announcement of the use of Article 49.3, the opposition submitted two no-confidence motions on 17 March. The first motion failed, as only 278 MPs voted to support it out of the minimum 287 required for its ratification. The second motion also failed. Shortly after the votes, protests erupted across the country. The large groundswell of social unrest seen thus far is primarily linked to the raising of the legal retirement age from 62 to 64 years. The government asserts that this change is necessary given longer life expectancy and financial constraints. However, a recent survey found that 68% of French people oppose the pension reform and 56% of people support related strikes. All major trade unions, which have generally had divergent views, have notably coalesced in opposition to the reform.
The bill still requires approval from the Constitutional Council (CC), which began reviewing the proposed reforms on 22 March. The CC will announce on 14 April their decision. Opposition politicians also submitted a request to the CC for a public referendum on the matter, which will also be decided on the same day.
Operational impact
Recent protests follow weeks of nationwide demonstrations and industrial action that have caused significant disruption to public transport and the aviation industry. The French Civil Aviation Authority warned of flight cancellations and delays until at least 1 April. Specifically, strikes will affect flights on 30 March at Marseille-Provence (MRS), Paris-Orly (ORY) and Toulouse-Blagnac (TLS) airports. Additionally, industrial action will affect flights at Bordeaux (BOD), Lyon (LYS), Marseille-Provence, Nantes (NTE), Paris-Orly and Toulouse-Blagnac on 31 March. Other airports are also likely to be affected.
More than 700,000 people on 28 March participated in a nationwide day of action. This follows the 1m people that participated in the day of action on 23 March. Roadblocks, acts of vandalism and clashes between demonstrators and the police were reported in various cities. Protesters blocked key routes and protested at Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ) in Anglet (Nouvelle-Aquitaine region). The protest caused flight delays and cancellations. The blockades – some of which utilised burning tyres and debris – are likely to continue in the coming days.
latest report
Got the Eurostar on time at 0630 this morning. Then got the RER to Gare du Lyon, which was running fine. And finally now on the TGV INOUI, which was also on time. Hopefully those of you train travelling tomorrow will have a similarly good experience.
snow report
Currently on a QUIGO TGV heading south from Paris, with a change a Lyon, everything on time.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Don't know whether many know this....

French strikes are wrecking travel across Europe, says Ryanair Michael O'Leary and he demands Brussels intervention to end flights chaos as.....

French law dictates that domestic flights must be able to continue during strikes by air traffic controllers. International flights that enter French airspace are not similarly protected, however – meaning that a walkout in the country can effectively ground planes across the whole continent. Michael O’Leary, Ryanair's chief executive, said that French air traffic control had asked the budget airline to cancel 60 flights on Wednesday alone.

How French rolling eyes

Indeed. One might say that the French are revolting! (take that as having whatever meaning you choose Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
Currently on a QUIGO TGV heading south from Paris, with a change a Lyon, everything on time.

Yes am on a local train... All good this Sunday just some early and late services cancelled. Eh oh!
ski holidays
Air traffic control caused a few hours delay to some UK flights on Saturday. Our 6am from STN was ok, but 8am from lgw was 90 mins late.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy