Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide on used bargain skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm just getting back into skiing after a few years away. In serious training for next winter.
I'm going to go to UK indoor snow places regularly through the year and wanted to get my own skis again so I get a consistent 'feel'.
I have my own boots already (318mm sole). DIN calculation comes out at 6.
I'm looking at Skibarn (or similar) ex-rental packages around the £150 mark.
I used to be a high intermediate and quite quick on most slopes but not very stylish. Could handle almost all black runs except if they were full of moguls.
I'm mid-50s now, 13 stone (plus a little bit...), 6ft 3ins.
Looking for a piste ski.
Current possibilities:
K2 Konic 78 (2018/19) 170cms
Volkl RTM 8.0 (2017) 179cms
Or, I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Deveron53, Noble ambitions!!

If it's just for indoor snow (no point taking things like that abroad IMO) then go a bit shorter than you might anticipate?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most UK indoor places have a stock of exactly the same ski in different sizes, so if its a consistent feel you want...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I intend to maintain and tune the skis myself so they are exactly the same each time I use them. I used to quite enjoy the waxing and filing, was very therapeutic! I might also use them in Scotland as I live not far from Aberdeen but I've never really had a good experience skiing in Scotland. I'm planning a 3 week trip to Les Arcs next year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
t44tomo wrote:
Most UK indoor places have a stock of exactly the same ski in different sizes, so if its a consistent feel you want...

Same stock, but they're not any good Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bear in mind that ex-rentals will often have been over-serviced, which will likely have been a run through the grinder each time they've been used, and therefore potentially have a very limited life and lost some of their stiffness. If you want to enjoy maintaining and servicing it might be a little pointless if they're already half dead.

And IME home servicing to professional level is only really possible if you've got a proper bench, ski vice, waxing iron and edging tools. It can be satisfying, I agree, but a decent setup is likely to cost you several hundred quid. I used to try to do it on a workmate type bench, then a few years ago invested in proper bench and ski vice and was astonished just how much easier and more effective it could be.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
t44tomo wrote:

Pray tell, how come buying an ex-rental is fine, but renting a current rental is not any good. Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about treating yourself? A new pair of skis for £600 will spread cost over at least 5 years. £100/year is smallish compared to > £1000 /week that you will spend over all.
And they will be YOUR skis that you chose from the huge number of skis out there. They will be exactly what you wanted! No probs!

Les Arcs -- good choice!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t44tomo wrote:
swskier wrote:
t44tomo wrote:

Pray tell, how come buying an ex-rental is fine, but renting a current rental is not any good. Puzzled

That's not what I'm saying. What i'm saying is, the rental stocks they use in the indoor domes aren't any good, in my opinion.

Buy an ex rental if you want, but don't buy the ones they use at the indoor domes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd keep an eye on ebay rather than buying ex-rentals. You can often get a bargain on skis used for one or two weeks, rather than ex-hire skis used for a whole season or more. Just make sure you don't buy someone else's dryslope pair with likely no edge left
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Deveron53, Which indoor ski area are you thinking of using?

Aberdeen is a bit of a trek, so maybe stay the weekend. But if you can get to Manchester, then consider attending the October test. After which, You may be able to get a pair of hardly used ex demo at a very reasonable price. Very Happy

You could use the summer months experimenting with different lengths of hire skis, toning muscles etc, then spend 3 hours testing different models, with expert advice before making your mind up.

It will still give you a few month to get used to the "feel" of your skis before your trip.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@brianatab, I'm making regular trips in my (currently being built) winterised campervan/motorhome down to England this year. End of April, I'm planning a couple of Castleford visits. I've got relatives in the Yorkshire area. Another trip in June, then another in September. Probably a couple of indoor snow sessions per time. My plan is to drive to BsM on 27th December and stay until 14th January. I thought a long trip would enable me to take it steady skiing and allow me recover/rest days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Deveron53, completely different point to what this thread is about, but are you choosing 27/12-14/01 dates for any particular reason?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier It's as early as I can get clear of family Christmas events and my company does a sort of mandatory 2 week shut down over the festive period. So I use as much as I can of the otherwise 'wasted' shut down and get as much holiday as I can book in a block. I'm planning on driving there and back in the camper so I'll maybe need a good 48 hours or so each way to make it comfortable. I'm planning on catching the Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry so that cuts off at least 200 miles driving and avoids Calais and Paris etc. In fact, I can almost avoid France completely!
I'm going to see if I can find a decent 'Caravaneige' with the shortest distance from Ijmuiden. Still in the planning stage at the mo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Deveron53, oh, yeah, what about boots?
snow report
He has boots!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Deveron53, oh, yeah, what about boots?

Hmm, this is where it might get a bit 'weird'...
I have very high insteps and I'm also knock kneed. I've tried several boots but not found anything to rival my Raichle Flexons that I used to own in the 1980s/90s.
So I found an excellent condition vintage pair of Raichles and am in the process of jazzing them up!
They were £25 in a charity shop off ebay and that was including a pair of Palau wrap liners! Plastic is in very good condition, no signs of cracking.
If I have any problems I'll just get a pair of Full Tilt / K2 'original' style shells and transfer all the fiddly bits over!
I've got some Lange RX10s as reserve but they aren't very comfy and they are a git to get on and off!
snow conditions
@Deveron53, as you seem to be aware Full Tilt (now K2) use the original Raichle design bt with much improved modern material. I'm the same as you with VERY high instep and so on, and Fullt Tilt is what my bootfitter recommended
ski holidays
I wouldn't pay £150 for either of those skis. You can get a new 2023 model for £300 - £400 if you hold off until outlets start getting rid of unsold stock. Over the next couple of months, try Ekosport, Sport Conrad and other overseas online retailers, as well as UK based stores like EB or the Scottish one I've forgotton the name of. Also pop into ski stores like Glide & Slide in Otley if you're in Yorkshire as they often have ex display or ex test stock for a bargain.
ski holidays
Forgot to add, check out the classifieds here too, some real giveaways. Nothing recent to suit you but this, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163243 might still be available and could be loads of fun. Obviously do your own research and don't take my word for it.
latest report
Quote:

I wouldn't pay £150 for either of those skis. You can get a new 2023 model for £300 - £400 if you hold off until outlets start getting rid of unsold stock. Over the next couple of months, try Ekosport, Sport Conrad and other overseas online retailers

@Deveron53, This, buy once and buy right, why buy someone else's cast-off's? Skiing in fridges isn't cheap so surely worth investing in some better skis and getting the best from the experience.
latest report
Riccardo wrote:
I wouldn't pay £150 for either of those skis. You can get a new 2023 model for £300 - £400 if you hold off until outlets start getting rid of unsold stock. Over the next couple of months, try Ekosport, Sport Conrad and other overseas online retailers, as well as UK based stores like EB or the Scottish one I've forgotton the name of. Also pop into ski stores like Glide & Slide in Otley if you're in Yorkshire as they often have ex display or ex test stock for a bargain.

TISO’s ?
snow report
[quote="Restless native"]
Riccardo wrote:

TISO’s, Cairngorm mountain sports, Braemar mountain sports ?
snow conditions
I've got my hands on some cheap 'temporary' skis. A pair of K2 Apache Crossfire which need a bit of a wax and tuneup but are reasonably OK (I have assembled a modest ski workshop kit from various sources). They're quite an old ski from about 2006 I think? I'll use these as my Scottish and indoor skis until I find a bargain in new or nearly new. They're a little bit long at 180 but the profile is 115-68-99 and they seem to have a slight rocker. They have the rail mounted Marker Mod 12.0 bindings with a 'piston' at the front. They seem rather heavy so I reckon a nice lightweight ski would be good, seeing as how my boots only weigh 1.9kg each!
Any lightweight skis to recommend?
ski holidays
Restless native wrote:
Riccardo wrote:

TISO’s ?

It was Tiso I was thinking of, thanks, although I was never sure where Blues Ski came in.
latest report
Blues Ski was a company in its own right, it was acquired by TISO in 2011.
Andy.
ski holidays
So, after much searching, what do we think of the Rossignol Experience 74? I want something easy turning to improve my confidence on the return to the sport. Sound good? I've found a brand new bargain within my price range!
snow conditions
It's their piste oriented all mountain ski in a piste ski width. I'd be concerned you'd overpower them. What's the price?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Riccardo wrote:
It's their piste oriented all mountain ski in a piste ski width. I'd be concerned you'd overpower them. What's the price?

I went searching for reviews of them and found another bargain.

I actually just 'accidentally' bought them from Ekosport! I was clicking through to the paypal credit options and choosing between the various terms and periods to see if I could get interest free and must have clicked too far! I got dumped back to the shop screen with the purchase completed!

So, brand new:
ROSSIGNOL EXPERIENCE 75 2023 in 178cms for £174.00 including bindings.
latest report
Laughing Hope you love them, @Deveron53.
snow conditions
You'll need to pay the Customs tax to get them through UK customs, but Ekosport are as good as their word, and if you email them the various stickers/charges that are put on the parcel by Customs they will refund this to you very promptly.
snow conditions
Well, Ekosport (or Evri, the courier) let me down. Skis were 'lost' or something and never got to me. Just got a refund. So I'm going to be tasting the hire offerings from Castleford I suppose. Or, I've seen some Experience 80s locally but they're only 168cms which is probably a bit short for me at 6ft 3 / 14 stone!
ski holidays
@Deveron53, All kit wears out over time. The risk of a catstrophic failure of gear is an exponential curve, which is why manufacturers have a limited warranty. Over this season we (The Ski School I work with) have seen 3 catstrophic failures of old kit. Twice with boots and once with skis. One of the boot failures resulted in serious leg injuries for the (Ahem) male skier in his mid-50's. Who by the way, refused to heed advice on boots when hiring his skis.

So my tuppence worth. Don't ski in boots over 8 years old, even if they've only been used for 1 week a year. Don't buy ex-rentals regardless of age. You're going the right route by seeking out bargains on last year's models. Get a ski with an 11-13m Radius. I'm of similar vintage and certainly for our age, don't rack up the bindings, accept that a 5 or 6 is enough. Finally, if 80-90% (be honest) of your skiing is on-piste then get a Piste ski. All Mountain = Shite at everything.
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@Deveron53, All kit wears out over time. The risk of a catstrophic failure of gear is an exponential curve, which is why manufacturers have a limited warranty. Over this season we (The Ski School I work with) have seen 3 catstrophic failures of old kit. Twice with boots and once with skis. One of the boot failures resulted in serious leg injuries for the (Ahem) male skier in his mid-50's. Who by the way, refused to heed advice on boots when hiring his skis.

So my tuppence worth. Don't ski in boots over 8 years old, even if they've only been used for 1 week a year. Don't buy ex-rentals regardless of age. You're going the right route by seeking out bargains on last year's models. Get a ski with an 11-13m Radius. I'm of similar vintage and certainly for our age, don't rack up the bindings, accept that a 5 or 6 is enough. Finally, if 80-90% (be honest) of your skiing is on-piste then get a Piste ski. All Mountain = Shite at everything.

Just as a matter of interest, how did the boots fail?
latest report
Deveron53 wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

I have seen fronts completely snapped off across the toes (x2), toe and heel pads disintegrating (x4 or 5), cuffs detached around the pivot point (x1) as well as buckles pulling out and or disintegrating (x many).
snow conditions
@Deveron53, "Just as a matter of interest, how did the boots fail?" A bolt that holds the cuff to the base snapped under pressure at speed causing the boot to fall apart. That resulted in the chap being thrown sideways but the boot plate failed to release the ski.
snow report
Quote:

I got given a couple of old pairs to pass on to members of our club. I took the liners out to check what might be inside. On re-assembling and re-clipping the boots up, both pairs snapped when I closed the cuff buckles. The only material that this doesn't apply to is leather --- my leather tele boots are still going strong after 30+years and many applications of Nikwax.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy