Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone ski/board alone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hoppo wrote:
Honda Kitty, chocolate? Slippery piece of plastic in the bad garden?

Errr.... now how do you know I have a bad garden Puzzled

Who's been telling tales - I bet it's that Nells.... you don't want to listen to that old soak Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Honda Kitty, you just didn't strike me as a garden person Toofy Grin, and you can't trust that Nells either wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoppo,Honda Kitty, oi!!

I'm sweet as...............

it must be all this perfume Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Honda Kitty, My 1st ever ski holiday was on my own. It was to Zell am Ziller in Austria, in a very nice hotel and as luck had it, my dining companions were also 1st time skiers and we were all in the same beginners class. Since then I have been away for a week alone (no lessons so no companions) and the odd day on my own even when I've been with a group. I like it - no waiting around, stopping when I like, NOT stopping if I don't want to, lunch and breaks as and when. I think lone ski-ing can be great. Nice to have someone to meet up with at the end of the day though! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Madaboutsnow, That's exactly it - I couldn't do the hotel thing & sit in my room alone each night - I really liked the randomnness of the 'chalet guest lottery' game - I'll definitely be doing at least one week like that next season.

Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I suppose another advantage there Honda Kitty is if you don't like anyone else you're in with you can just pretend to be strange and have them all ignore you Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, Petal, not possible, love me or loathe me...... it's hard to ignore me Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive never been away by myself, but i have skied by myself for a few days. I quite like the freedom, as most people have already said, but sometimes i did get a bit bored. Its nice to complete a tricky black and talk about your journey down it with the people your skiing with! Its also quite fun to have a laugh at the person thats fallen over (if its not me Wink!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I very often head off for a day by myself, I find it easier to concentrate on my skiing technique (or lack of). On my early trip this year the other 11 people were newer to the sport than myself so I used to take a few runs with some of them and then do my own thing until the lunchtime meet up. But then again, you can't laugh at each other when you fall over by doing that snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went away on my own for a month....was working the 1st week, so skied on my own during the day, but had lots of people around of an evening. The 2nd week I pottered around on my own...often met up and did a couple of runs with some random person. The 3rd week I spent with some mates, and the 4th was with a group of internet wierdos.

Great fun snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always ski on my own normally cos none of my family and friends ski... I really enjoy it because of the freedom and escapism from the usual nags and stresses of parents - mum can't get me if I'm several thousand feet out of the valley!! I like the peace and the independence, I love being independant. However when I skied at the PSB I thought it was good to ski with others because they are there if you need help and trying to follow them makes you push yourself. (Ise persuading me to ski on this off piste bit past crevasses Shocked )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i love skiing on my own. I can ski at my pace and go where I want, but I worry about all these MP3 players - it's terribly dangerous on the mountain not to be able to hear the people behind you - save them for the lifts.

I skied our mountain literally alone on 08/05/05 a week after closing and it was great - no-one else at all on the mountain! My solo ski at the EOSB was rather spoilt by fog though! Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've only ever skied on my own for one day on the last day of the EoSB ~ I had got up late with a bit of a hangover and decided I'd just go and potter about for a bit on a few blues, then I decided I'd be OK on the red from the Peclet gondola because I'd done it before several times. When I got up there it was a complete white-out but there were a few other people about. I got half way down and saw the sign off to the Glacier black run and remember having a long debate with myself about doing it.

'Not on your own in a white out, very stupid'

"Yes, but I bet you could do it if you wanted to - you'll regret it if you don't"

'You'll bloody regret it if you do'

That kind of thing.

I must have looked a complete spod to the lifty as in my indecision I managed to get my skis either side of the barrier and had to disentangle myself before deciding I would do it after all. He was probably calling the blood wagon before I even set off rolling eyes

It was an amazing experience - the chair lift was a rickety old one and was just going through cloud so I couldn't see anything or anyone else. At the top there were a few people standing about and inspecting but I hate doing that as it just puts me off, so I just went for it. I couldn't see the next piste marker because it was so foggy. It was fantastic! One of those really vivid memories that stay with you.

Have to say though, I'd still mainly prefer to be in a group - the laughs and social side of skiing is what really makes it for me and I think you mainly get that in a group.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiBod wrote:
I must have looked a complete spod to the lifty

No sarcastic comment from him? My experience on the same lift (not in a whiteout):

Alastair wrote:
Managed my best cockup of getting onto a chairlift this afternoon - caught my ski tips in the snow and all three people on the chair were ejected. The Frenchman behind said "Merci pour le spectacle". The unimpressed liftie just said "You know it's a black run up there, do you?" Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair, Laughing Laughing Laughing

He was just sitting in his hut behind Le Figaro, or something, looking a bit peed off when I went by!
snow report
Alastair, Exactly the same thing happened to Medders, RichardB and Myself at that rickety 3 man. One of the other 2 caught a tip, I hung on for dear life and pushed the other 2 off as they were starting to worry me and then walloped RichardB in the head with my ski. All the more ironic as RichardB was having a skibod moment before getting on, and it was his first ever black. I found it very funny. Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I remember that, the rest of us were stood waiting at the top wondering where you'd got to.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, glad I'm not the only person! Still don't know quite how I did it.
snow report
I don't ski alone because I have a real fear of getting lost. As I have no sense of direction I can do this in a small office block/large house - I don't need a whole mountain rolling eyes . I went to the PSB alone as I figured even I couldn't get lost on the high glacier pistes. It would have been touch and go if a little bit more of the mountain had been open, though snowHead .
snow report
ive boarded alone quite a bit, but never gone on the holiday solo.. i thinki'd get a bit bored.. meeting new people is ok but nothing beats a trip with the lads or watching family or frds getting the hang of it..
the biggest downside to soloing is if you pull off something special there is no one there to see it.. my biggest crash had two witnesses, you kind of feel the pain is worth it as the story is retold and exxagerated over beers.. the same with your fist jump or when you pull some hi G turns in powder.. its the stuff you talk about all summer till your next fix, and much more fun if someone who saw it can tell the story..
as with most things.. its not how good you are but how good you look wink .. well unless your a surgeon or something...
ski holidays
I skied alone this last season as we had out little one with us so we'd take turns to play with him whilst the other skied etc. Again was good to focus on yourslef for a while but the chairs can be a bit lonely, especially in bad weather. You do tend to hammer about though, I did a complete circuit of the Espace Diamont area in about 3 hours including a looooooong section of poling in slush but at least i wasn't worried about when i wanted to stop, how many pictures i wanted to take etc and you can hone your skills a little too (well what's left of them anyway).

I do still prefer to ski with others but alone has its advantages too - oh and no music, strangely the sound of nothing but squeaky snow, wind rushing by and happy voices does it for me much more than an ipod (I do that commuting in and out of the office when I have to travel....)
ski holidays
When I ski on my own, I've learn't not to bother to make contact when I hear English voices. Most of the time a greeting has been met with a suspicious look of 'why are you talking to me?' or 'what are you after?'
snow conditions
I try to ski on my own but all these other people keep finding their way onto the pistes. Wink
latest report
I ski about 3 weeks each year, two with a friend(s), and one with my wife and kids. The wife and kids week usually means that I end up skiing off on my own, rushing back to pay for Lunch, skiing on my own for a couple of hours, then drifting back after the last lift has closed.
Admitidly I was a bit worried initally that, my own company all day everyday might push me over the edge. However I found that being on your own is great, Consider;
1) your own decisions.
2) don't have to worry about friends being able to keep up or wether they can handel the slopes trees jumps etc.
3) Stop when you like.
4) no need for tedious chat with the same person on llifts time and time again.
5) no need for tedious chat with the same person over breakfast/diner/lunch.
6) no waiting.
7) Usually meet new people to ski with (old and young), this has proved to be great fun.

Bob
ski holidays
What an anti social and selfish bunch you lot are. Very Happy
latest report
Bob wrote:

Bob

Laughing I'm not sure your wife would be too chuffed to read that!!! wink
snow conditions
Kramer, ever since you helped me ski my first black run, people tend to look up to you as an expert! wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, that moment will forever be remembered and engrained upon my head, god was I accident prone those first 2 days! Laughing

I've skied alone plenty of times, I'm a single traveller after all, perhaps I should re-name myself "The Lone Snowhead"! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You're skiing with the wrong people Crying or Very sad

Quote:

You're not drinking enough. Laughing

I've skied over 30 trips with the same crowd. When things are repeated it usually means that it's worth telling again.
I invariably choose who I ski with, not on their skiing ability, but personality and fun. Comes in very handy when the skiing is awful and life in the bars is preferable. Certainly worked on the PSB. Laughing
snow report
Cymru am Byth, I suspect we have more in common than either of us would wish Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Snowballs Puzzled Laughing
latest report
I have never booked a holiday and went skiing on my own, but I have went up the pistes a few times alone for a fast run.
ski holidays
TalkSki.com, I don't consider getting in a sneaky run as skiing alone. Usually it's still within the group dynamic, such as getting a quick run instead of a toilet break, or another quicky while the others have a more leisurely lunch.
snow report
My very first ski trip was on my own. It was in 1990 and I was supposed to be going with a mate from the UK (I was in the RAF based in Germany) but he let me down the week before. Christmas week in Mayrhofen. I had myself booked in for ski lessons in the mornings and spent the afternoons wizzing around practising my new found skills. I met up with loads of different people throughout the week, mainly British with a few Aussies mixed in.

I spent a cracking couple of nights drinking in the Scotland Yard pub and a few more in the Sport Hotel with a couple of girls and a guy that were staying there.

Didn't have to worry about anyone else but myself. How I long for that sort of freedom. Unfortunately with mrs stocky and stocky jnrs 1+2 I can't see that happening till I do my BASI course next season.
snow conditions
I've often turned up a day earlier than the others, going out by train, and skied a great day on my own, doing a little of the safer off-piste ( in sight of the pistes and under lifts etc), but even then I've often picked up a companion on a lift. Last time I only did one run on my own and then skied with, at first two girls (about half my age) and then, on harder off-piste, with just one of them who was the much better skier, doing small drop-offs etc
In the past I've also done week-ends in Scotland like that.

Skiing generally 80% or 90% off piste I need to ski with others and much of the time with guides. But most of the time I anyway like, and prefer, skiing with others of a similar standard - sharing their and my experience, while still skiing for myself. If they badly hold you up that's a different matter, but at 57 I can often do with a breather - without having to admit it!

However the odd day alone does give a kind of feeling of freedom. Skiing with others and with guides gives a different kind of freedom - that of skiing things I might otherwise never ski and often wouldn't dare ski alone - except very, very rarely, knowing I'm taking a chance and sweeping down a slope far from anyone, alone with the mountain - moments of heightened awareness, and heightened awareness of the mountains.
snow report
Yep - I don't do it often and I only do it when conditions are optimal, but skiing an interesting off-piste route alone is one of the most rewarding things you can do IMO
snow report
I've done plenty of solo skiing & lots with other people. The best I found is the sort of skiing you get to do as a seasonnaire - go out with a few people, head off on your own when the fancy takes you, meet up with other people you know casually a bit later. Its a bit hard to do this unless you've travelled in a big group.

I find skiing in a group of more than 3 or 4 difficult unless they are all "no stop" skiers. There will generally be someone held back and someone a bit too pushed when there's more than 4.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
There will generally be someone held back and someone a bit too pushed when there's more than 4.
Yes, that's the advantage of making up a regular group of skiers of the same standard and arranging a like-minded guide yourselves (there aren't so many, I find). Then 5 or even 6 can be fine. Though some guides will only ski the steepest slopes with 3 clients, but that gets expensive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy