Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone ski/board alone?

Poster: A snowHead
Next season, out of my 3 weeks I am intending, 1 will probably be spent with a mate(s), 1 with my son, and 1 will be completely alone.......

I really surprised myself last year when I booked a last minute deal & joined 17 complete strangers over new year.... I was incredibly lucky in that they were a real laugh, great company & not drunks or commoners....but the whole experience was very exciting and liberating.

In addition to that I did more riding than ever as I didn't have to wait for others faffing over breakfast/breaks/ equipment etc etc etc... I could choose when to get up, go and return home.... I could also plug in & listen to my music without constant chatter - I loved it...

Does anyone else prefer doing it this way or am I just weird?

(rhetorical) Wink
snow report
 brian
brian
I've not been away for a week by myself but I often do day trips up North and I stayed out for an extra couple of days this April when my mates went home.

I love it ... away from it all, pod on shuffle, superb snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't skied on my own for a couple of years because, for some reason, I always seem to know loads of skiers everywhere I go now snowHead

But yes, I used to quite like it.
Coming off a chair lift, heading for a run then, in an instant, changing my mind and heading off down a different one for no reason other than, I felt like it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For the same reasons you state Honda Kitty, freedom to go where you choose and at your own pace I find great and when skiing with my mates who normally ski faster than I do they can't believe that I when I do ski on my own I often cover more ground than if I was with others because of less faffing around time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, it's good sometimes not to have to think at all about anyone else - keeping up if they are faster, watching out for them if they are slower, being polite about whether it's time for a vin chaud. Not having to turn the music down! I have also enjoyed some good chairlift conversations - great for my French as I ski in an area where there are very few English visitors and the locals find us a pleasant diversion, instead of resenting the invading hordes. I've not done a whole week on my own, just a few days. And I enjoy ski-ing with others too, especially if they know the area much better and are of similar ability. Being a beginner snowboarder I now ride, rather than ski, if with beginner skiers. I am faster than them when upright, but fall over more so they catch up! I see loads of lone skiers round the pistes (either that or their mates are miles away) so no, it's definitely not weird. It's especially nice if you can have convivial evenings like Honda Kitty enjoyed. Best of both worlds. I find I cover a lot more ground ski-ing alone - definitely the best way to suss out a new area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, Laughing snowHead

I never used to like being out skiing by myself - lack of confidence I guess. But last year I had the odd couple of afternoons by myself and it was great. Don't think I'll ever get to go away by myself though - there's so much steam at the mo just about my snoworks hols! rolling eyes But I guess that thats only structured lessons in the morning so I will actually be free the rest of the time to do just what I want Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One reason for joining the SCGB was that, if I were skiing on my own, I could always meet up with a crowd of people I would enjoy skiing with through the rep. Didn't always ski with the rep - but the rep acted as a catalyst for meeting up with other skiers. The holidays did a smilar thing, of course.

This year, I joined a small easiski class at LDA. When not in class, fellow class member lampbus and I bimbled around together. More than that, the whole class would drift along to the Lutins in the evening - where, funny old thing, we'd bump into easiski. Not so much a ski instructor, more a way of life. Well, ski life, anyway. And the whole holiday started to through skiing chat on snowheads. So maybe I need the SCGB less.

Skiing on your own is fine, at times I too have enjoyed
Quote:
Coming off a chair lift, heading for a run then, in an instant, changing my mind and heading off down a different one for no reason other than, I felt like it!

But it is not so clever if something goes wrong. I was very glad I was with someone when my Achilles tendon went. Somehow, as long as the snowheads forum runs, I don't think there will ever be a need for solo skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

But it is not so clever if something goes wrong. I was very glad I was with someone when my Achilles tendon went. Somehow, as long as the snowheads forum runs, I don't think there will ever be a need for solo skiing.

I was worried about if I hurt myself - but I keep ID & phone on me & don't go off piste etc... same could happen if you're driving your car alone on a country lane - that's how I think of it.

As for needing to - it's not out of need - I totally choose to - I liked the randomness of it all & taking pot luck with my chalet mates Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Far prefer skiing in a group. Only skied once on my own and not a patch on group skiing.
Have to admit that I've skied over 30 trips with the same group of people, and when not with them, with my son.
It's far better to have a bit of banter on a chair lift, and perhaps share a hip flask or two.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I ski alone, yeah, with nobody else.
Yeah, you know when I ski alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Now, every morning, instead of a breakfast,
I'll take a mug of coffee or tea.
Just me and my well waxed Volkls.
That's all I ever need.

Well, the other night I got invited in to a party,
But I stayed out instead.
Just me and my pal Ogasaka,
Met his buddies Fischer and Head.

And we skied alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We skied alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Did someone say "hip flask"?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last year I went to Schladming on my own, but in a completely antisocial way. I really enjoy my own company. I stayed in a studio (making sure there was cable tv) and it was lovely and quiet! Though be warned the BBC channel they show in Austria is absolute crap!

Every day I chose which area to go to, and generally did exactly what I wanted..... the only lonely time was when I saw a groups of friends having a wonderful time, so next year I'll try somewhere empty like Gressoney.

Reading my own reply, I sound a bit of a loony Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its the whole social thing for me. I love skiing holidays but would probably sit down with a good book rather than ski on my own.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the social side of it but am happy to ski on my own if everyone else is having a lie in or knocking off early. I tend to feed off others skiing though, do runs I'd avoid or go at someone else's pace for example.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I tend to feed off others skiing though, do runs I'd avoid or go at someone else's pace for example
Good point.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm nearly always in a group but thoroughly enjoy opportunities to board a few runs by myself. For me the biggest benefit of being alone is the lack of responsibility. Invariably in a group I am the organiser deciding where we go or looking out for the others (wife, siblings, kids, friends) so when I am on my own I can go as fast as I like, stop when i want and go in whatever direction i want. Fantastic. That said i wouldn't want to go off for a week by myself unless I knew I would be meeitng up with a group of like-minded indiviudals..........
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
but would probably sit down with a good book rather than ski on my own.

Now that is weird Puzzled Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I'm planning 3 weeks - each being different, I guess I have the best of both worlds.... I tend to meet more people and I find I chat easier when I'm alone too.... I was proposed to on a chair lift in Canada this year Very Happy ......which was nice.

I don't think I missed out socially when I travelled alone, I drank champagne every night with a cracking bunch of people & we went out dancing in the snow at midnight on New Years Eve.

The thing that bugs me is this 'single person supplement'.... which I didn't pay on a last minute deal - but still - cr*p
ski holidays
I sometimes do a couple of runs by myself at either end of the day or if the weather's cr@p.
ski holidays
Honda Kitty, if as I do you travel independantly and privately book your accomodation in hotels you shouldn't have to put up with a single supplement
latest report
I'm gonna try it next season... have 1 holiday with people I know... but the other one might be a last minute thingy on my own - quite excited by the idea!
snow report
D G Orf, Last time I took a last min (14 hrs before flight) deal in a chalet.

They just wanted bums on seats & were waiving the supplements... which works for me... I got a 4* lux double room at 1/3 of the price and no supps.

I don't fancy hotels alone though, and I'd rather do the last min chalet thing, get a cracking deal & go where the snow is.
snow conditions
Usually do a couple of trips each year on my own, don't mind skiing on my own, just plug in the mp3 and away. Usually find that you meet up with like minded people, and as your are on your own it force's you to be more sociable.

Agree with the single person supplement issue though !
ski holidays
comprex wrote:

Now, every morning, instead of a breakfast,
I'll take a mug of coffee or tea.
Just me and my well waxed Volkls.
That's all I ever need.

Well, the other night I got invited in to a party,
But I stayed out instead.
Just me and my pal Ogasaka,
Met his buddies Fischer and Head.

And we skied alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We skied alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Did someone say "hip flask"?

Mr. Thoroughgood's lawyers wouyld like a word with you.
snow report
Recently done two seasons on my own. In practice, I reckon I was skiing with others for 70-80% of the time. I enjoy skiing with others for the company, but also enjoy skiing on my own sometimes for the extra freedom you get. I also generally find it's easier to cover a lot of territory when you're on your own. I agree with Nick Zotov that the SCGB is good for meeting people through the repping service - and it's very good value if you're going for a season!
snow conditions
i often ride alone, i'd rather ride alone than not at all
ski holidays
I've done a two solo trips, and several days solo skiing where the others have been wanting to do other things (like teaching their 3yo kids). As already mentioned, this is what the SCGB repping service is really for. Skiing truly by yourself though does give you the freedom to go at the pace you want, where you want and you skip a load of that inevitable faffing. I do normally end up then skiing far too much (one day in Keystone did about 13 hours with only 45 minutes stop total)! The downside though is that now my main interest is off-piste skiing, and that can be dangerous if you stray too far off the beaten track - I've never needed any assistance to date (although I did get out of my depth and lost one day this year), but there's always a first time. The other downside is that if you are in a basic hotel (particularly if it's some kind of pension/B&B) you can sometimes find it a bit solitary in the evening. Alternatively I've also had great fun in the evening with other "housemates" if it's a more YH/chalet type affair.
snow conditions
I have been to Cairngorm etc on my own many times this year, and enjoyed it, as for a whole holiday, not yet. However going on the BUSC summer session on my own next week. Sometimes theres no point in even asking my mates as I know theycan't be bothered or won't want to go.
snow conditions
I live in the north of Scotland and have a art gallery/gift shop (not many tourist about January/February) so when ever the forecast looks good I head to the slopes of Scotland.

Mostly the decision is made the night before after seeing where the best snow/weather is so I’m by myself -mid week- and no queues. It’s good in the fact that you can ski were you want at whatever speed you like. But I do tend to ski more cautiously by myself and decide not to head down the off piste/black run and stick to the blues and reds probably best as I’m not the best skier in the world but I do improve more when skiing with someone who is better than me.

It’s nice to have company occasionally:)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Honda Kitty, I went away on my own once and it was great! Only for 3 days, but I loved doing my own thing, not waiting around for people to faff about!

When I was doing my season I used to try and get out on my own at least once a week, just to get away from everyone and everything and have some chill out time, stick in the Ipod and off I went!
ski holidays
I've boarded alone, when I first started boarding and everyone else I went with skied, but I still had people to meet up with for lunch & in the evening.

I must admit, I would like a w/e by myself, but probably not a whole week.
snow report
I've skied on my own. Mate had an appt. in Sauze. To good an opportunity to miss so went out for three weeks. Sauze was virtually a fresh snow free zone. Couple of mates came out for a long w/e and had a great time but that was about on the fun front. The rest of the time I used to be knackered by 2, absolutely knackered. Fast skiing, no stopping for a chat, no shall we go this way or that, no waiting for people, trying to ski off-piste when it was virtully impossible and all you could do is muscle your way around. To be honest if the conditions had been better I might have stayed the full three weeks but in crap conditions it's rubbish. I canned it after 2.5 weeks, in the middle of carnivale week and the Q to get up was approx. 40 mins per lift. Improved my technique a lot because all I really did was ski but skiing on your own for any length of time isn't really that much fun.
snow conditions
Would quite like to head of on my own but family and friends would probably think that I was being a bit weird.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Would quite like to head of on my own but family and friends would probably think that I was being a bit weird.
Try heading off to meet 65 folks you have only met on an internet forum, then see how weird they think you are Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy . I'm quite jealous. Will try to make the next one then you'll see how weid I really am Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
halfhand, You didn't see the 65 Shocked Laughing . You really should try it. Shall I ski on my own or go on a snowHead bash. hmmmm. tricky wink
snow conditions
Done the odd morning or couple of hours on my own, but couldn't do it for any significant length of time.

Is nice to just head where you want tho, at your own pace, and just the scenery to look at, makes a change from charging round the mountain, and stopping at every other bar Wink
snow conditions
I love skiing on my own. Kept on trying to do it at the eosb, but people kept following me. wink
ski holidays
It's funny, I've never met Kramer, but I feel if I did I would need to follow him where he was ski-ing. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm thinking this post was a mistake... I'm now aching to go boarding again & furiously trying to find substantial distractions help me through the summer.

Very Happy
snow report
Honda Kitty, chocolate? Slippery piece of plastic in the bad garden?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy