Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break flying into Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
LaForet wrote:
@leeboy You say you’re booked now, so out of interest where did you decide on? It’s always nice to get feedback. Whatever you may think about Helvetiphiles, most of the advice is given in a genuine spirit of trying to help.

It’s all light hearted banter I know, enjoyed it tbh Eh oh!

We booked Chamonix in the end as we’ve never been and it fell within budget, which unfortunately is very tight for one reason or another.

We did look at the Swiss side after reading the feedback but couldn’t find anything in our price range.

Do I dare ask for recommendations for things to do in Cham post a days skiing?!?!?!?!?

LB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you've found somewhere. Are you renting an apartment? Best way to keep expenditure down; beers, wine and G&Ts at supermarket prices!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@leeboy, Been a few years since I've been (2017 I think) and no doubt I'll be corrected but for Apres ski, Chambre Neuf was always good for beer and live music. Also the microbrewery a 10-15 min walk out of town was a little less lively but good entertainment. Plenty of places for beers and dancing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@leeboy, tight budget doesn't help but Cap Horn seems to be turning itself into an apres dinner nightclub. Folie Douce always interesting but a bit ££

more budget, Becket and Wilde or Monkey in Cham Sud?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
leeboy wrote:
Do I dare ask for recommendations for things to do in Cham post a days skiing?!?!?!?!?

LB

As others have mentioned, no specific locations to add but there's plenty of places just to walk around and see what you can find.

Obviously I think it's a good choice Very Happy but absolutely worthwhile going there, especially if you've not previously.

Deep and dramatic valley with just huge alpine scale, something to see and do in every direction, I find it fascinating. Makes you feel quite small, little planes often flying along below you when up on the pistes amusing. Each ski area of distinct character, try to follow temperature and sunlight direction and conditions to get a good look around.

Hope you enjoy it , a welcome short journey from Geneva compared to many, with such a contrast to most ski destinations many have experienced.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips there

Yea we’re SC so a few in the apartment after a days skiing will keep the cost down definitely but we’ll be out and about for sure after those

Just hope the snow is better than what I’ve read about this season…. Feel for anyone who spent big and had poor conditions
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@leeboy,
Quote:

Just hope the snow is better

You're not the only one. It's been a funny season. But not at all terrible from from what I am being told as I lie watching interminable re-runs of French sit coms. Sis-in-law got some lovely turns after short walks yesterday up les Grands.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@leeboy,
Quote:

Just hope the snow is better

You're not the only one. It's been a funny season. But not at all terrible from from what I am being told as I lie watching interminable re-runs of French sit coms. Sis-in-law got some lovely turns after short walks yesterday up les Grands.

Thread drift alert:
Had a week in Selva late Jan/early Feb - loads of snow
Son is on his first snowboarding trip to La Plagne - seems to be loads of snow from his pics.

Back on topic; leeboy buses required for the outlying ski areas of Cham IIRC so be prepared for big queues especially for Grand Montets (unless you've got a car).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

unless you've got a car

car definitely the way to go for a short trip, if local knowledge (e.g. @under a new name) advises that parking is not too much of a hassle. It is a schlep between the different ski areas.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep big car parks at Brevent and GM. The apartment might even have a parking space which will cut some costs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Given I've missed most of the high season, so not much direct observation, parking doesn't seem to have been much of an issue, despite influx of folks from lower areas.

@leeboy, where's your apartment roughly? Makes a bit of a difference and if with car, pre-booking parking possibly a good plan.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 21-03-23 20:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a quick bit of myth busting

Vercorin - Switzerland

Lift pass 57 chf per day
Accommodation Airbnb next to the lift
121 per night for 4
Car parking 5 chf per day

That’s right now….
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@halfhand, the car parks are not what I'd call big and are often full. But the family seem to have got parked at Flégère no worries, and when I was still driving was no issue at GMs. Not quite sure why Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
when are going, @leeboy?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:

Vercorin - Switzerland

Lift pass 57 chf per day
121 per night for 4

That’s right now….

I'll try to help bust that myth too:

Winterlaken Card available from various accommodation providers in Interlaken. 40CHF per day to include lift pass for whole of Jungfrau ski area and all trains, buses etc.

Also get discount on Jungfraujoch and the James Bond Brunch at Schilthorn Piz Gloria (and other stuff I didn't partake in).

I'll do a proper trip report at some point in case there are others considering staying in Interlaken to explore that wonderful ski area.
snow conditions
I think he went to Courchevel 1850.
snow report
@under a new name, Big enough though?
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:

Vercorin - Switzerland

Lift pass 57 chf per day
121 per night for 4

OK, I'll bite. Is that supposed to show that Switzerland is affordable? Because I think all those prices are appreciably higher than a similar-sized French resort. Roughly 50-100% more depending on whether you're booking quite a way in advance or not.
snow report
Individual reporting is always in danger of being unrepresentative. The Helvetiphiles among us tend to look more at large-scale pricing surveys, which aim to normalise the comparison and include not just accommodation but equipment hire, lift passes, bar prices, transfers and so on. On that basis, CH looks around up to £100/person more expensive than the average in France etc. But the one thing that is much more expensive is instruction. So if you are a learner, this'll inflate the cost and if you go for lots of instruction, obviously, it hikes the price. But otherwise, the premium on a typical Swiss holiday without instruction isn't significant. For me, the £100 is in the same range as I'd get choosing within and between resorts in the same country, and as I adjust flight times, transfer times, accommodation spec' and so on.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 22-03-23 14:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@halfhand, pre covid, brevent flegere often filled up early, gms on good days. oddly this year, despite record visitor numbers they've seemed a bit quieter.

mind you, at new year, flegere "over flowed" onto the green of the 10th hole of the golf course Shocked
snow report
Another advantage of Geneva/Chamonix is you can get a very late flight out of Geneva which allows skiing all day before the return.
snow report
Quote:

mind you, at new year, flegere "over flowed" onto the green of the 10th hole of the golf course

Laughing Laughing Jan 2017 when I was last in Chamonix Toofy Grin
snow report
@halfhand, I wasn't a golfer then so I didn't care wink
snow report
Hi all

Our apartment is opposite the aiguille du midi cable car I believe

First week in March is the date, can’t come soon enough

Watching videos on YouTube like an excited teenager

We’ve skied VT and Tignes to death, as well as Flaine plus others, so this will be the first time we’ve not door step skied… but without having to carry 3 sets of skis I’m hoping it’s no big drama
ski holidays
Quote:

French school holidays till 10 March.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

French school holidays till 10 March.

Only Zone b… whatever that means

We’re kind of restricted with dates, we normally ski over Christmas so I’m thinking we’ve seen the worst of any queues??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy