Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Disappearing Pockets....

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm in the market for a new shell jacket. I've always used one of my winter mountaineering ones which have all had a pocket on the tricep area, perfect for a ski pass. On checking back to even my oldest threadbare jackets, now retried for gardening duties, some to late 90s/early 2000s vintage they all have arm pockets.

Just spent afternoon looking round decathlon, John-lewis and go outdoors....none of the mountaineering shell jackets (north face, montane, ME, Rab) have arm pockets...

is this a scam to force us to buy more kit, am I looking in the wrong places...or have fashions changed to the point that although highly practical, an arm pocket is no longer considered cool...grrrr
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dravot, dunno - I bought a jacket the other week, all of the ones I looked at had arm pockets, but the one I bought doesn't have breast pockets which is a pain
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most ski jackets these days have a lift pass pocket on the left forearm rather than the upper arm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dravot, We both have Marmot shells, both with pockets on the lower arm. JanetS ' previous ME one had one on the upper arm, but when she got that it the only ladies model that did - marketed as a ski-mountaineering jacket.

I think you do need to look for ski-mountaineering kit, which is not easy to find as it is pretty niche in the UK.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski lots wrote:
Most ski jackets these days have a lift pass pocket on the left forearm rather than the upper arm.

I have a couple of insulated ski jackets that have pass pocket on forearm, but none of the hard shell multi-purpose now have arm pockets...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS wrote:
@Dravot, We both have Marmot shells, both with pockets on the lower arm. JanetS ' previous ME one had one on the upper arm, but when she got that it the only ladies model that did - marketed as a ski-mountaineering jacket.

I think you do need to look for ski-mountaineering kit, which is not easy to find as it is pretty niche in the UK.

Yes, I've just seen some Marmot jackets on sportpursuit. I'm always a bit dubious buying a new brand on line as sizes aren't always true, eg. I'm a large in Arcteryx but a medium in Mountain Equipment. What is the quality of Marmot like? PS, it took my about 20 yrs to work out that Marmot and Mammut were different companies (:
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple from Norrona and Arcteryx, with upper arm pockets:

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-plus-jacket-ms/?color=7718

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/walk-hike-c1/clothing-c2/down-insulated-jackets-vests-c114/arcteryx-alpha-sv-jacket-p37996#attribute%5B2%5D=190
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dravot, We have done two working seasons, plus a couple of holidays with ours, probably about 150 days wear, and they still look and feel newish.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks both
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Black Diamond hard shell has an upper arm pocket, though if I was ever given a choice I’d prefer a lower arm pocket. I carry my skis on my left shoulder and the pass gets caught on my edges when I lift the skis on and particularly off my shoulder, slicing it open. Superglue and gaffer tape has fixed it, but it’s annoying in a new jacket.

Mammut and Marmot are both good quality brands, and either would be fine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could put the pass in your ski trouser pockets if they have them above the knee ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S wrote:
Could put the pass in your ski trouser pockets if they have them above the knee ?

Nightmare for lift gates surely as you'd be having to hoick your thighs up to the sensor? Might be amusing watching though. Laughing

My old Nike GTX shell has a forearm pocket for lift pass so it must be possible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got chest/arm zip pockets on inner fleece layers, which I can use when outer shell doesn't have a pocket

It should be pretty easy to add one to an inner fleece yourself
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers wrote:
I've got chest/arm zip pockets on inner fleece layers, which I can use when outer shell doesn't have a pocket

thats a great shout, ta.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My Mammut hard-shell jacket doesn’t have an arm pocket. It’s the only thing wrong with an otherwise fine jacket. I keep the pass in left trouser pocket. Works most times. Every now and then I have to raise my thigh to get the pass to be read at the gate.
latest report
Dravot wrote:

is this a scam to force us to buy more kit,

Pretty much.
latest report
Dravot wrote:
geoffers wrote:

thats a great shout, ta.

Just don't forget that it's still in fleece-A's pocket if you change to fleece-B during the week (speaking from experience here snowHead snowHead )
snow conditions
Long time Marmot user. I would avoid their low-end stuff at Costco but otherwise I think it is worthy.

I like using a pass holder that fits on my goggle strap. The machine can read it, and also at places where your pass is shot by the liftie, where you’d have to dig it out of the pocket.
snow report
more & more lifts are RFID, dont really need a credit card size pass anymore.
Maybe smaller pass & glove pocket on the backhand is the future.
snow report
Peter S wrote:

Land of the giants? Puzzled Shocked
snow report
kditrj2d wrote:
My Mammut hard-shell jacket doesn’t have an arm pocket. It’s the only thing wrong with an otherwise fine jacket. I keep the pass in left trouser pocket. Works most times. Every now and then I have to raise my thigh to get the pass to be read at the gate.

Aha, the entry point "shimmy" is quite entertaining, especially when someone forgets where they've put their pass Very Happy you get a few "push pineapple, shake the tree" type jives going on too Laughing

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-03-23 7:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I bought a new Helly Hansen jacket a year or so back, left arm pocket as you would expect, its so well designed as to be almost invisible.

One mate bought a new and expensive jacket this season and no pass pocket - which I thought was quite bizarre - so he had to to the "jiggle" a few times in Tignes / Val D this season.
ski holidays
Peak Performance, Arctyrex and Noronna shells still have upper arm pockets for the old lift pass. North Face shell has lower arm pocket.
snow conditions
Don’t really have those flashy gate things most places I ride, but at the one place I do go where there is one, and because pass pockets aren’t a thing on the trusty flannel shirt, I just duck tape the pass on to the back of my glove.

Works great. You can even colour match the duck tape to the glove if you aren’t keen on looking like a red neck.

snow conditions
Duct tape is one of the world's greatest inventions.
snow report
kditrj2d wrote:

It must be model specific, my Mammut shell has.
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
...I'm in the market for a new shell jacket ...
is this a scam to force us to buy more kit...grrrr
You're looking to buy a jacket.
You have a choice of no arm pocket/ arm pocket at the shoulder end/ arm pocket at on the forearm.
Isn't it just good consumer choice, you know: decide what you want and buy it?

For Canadian ticketing systems any arm pocket will work, and also the chest / radio pocket is fine.

My current 66 North provides a forearm pocket. Arcteryx [I don't pay for mine] use the upper arm.
It's the same thing, makes no real difference.
ski holidays
Problem with trouser pocket is often not high enough to be detected. Then you end up looking like a Scottie dog trying to molest the gate. Not a cool look.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use a Mountain Equipment Changabang shell which has a pocket on left forearm. Brilliant bit of kit
ski holidays
Always put it in a chest pocket on my mid-layer. Then I'm free to take my jacket off during the day, or if I change to another one during the week, I won't forget it. Really don't want to be at the lift first thing with no ticket....
ski holidays
pateman99 wrote:
I use a Mountain Equipment Changabang shell which has a pocket on left forearm. Brilliant bit of kit

Same...although mine is on its last legs, from around 2005(ish), velcro on cuffs has gone, snow valance long since lost...pocket on tricep. A replacement is quite expensive now.

Based on recommendations from here I've settled on a Marmot Orion...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy