Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skyway Monte Bianco - looking for off-piste partners / guide recs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ciao Snowheads!

First time poster (thanks to @ElzP for the rec). I'm looking for fellow skiers / splitboarders to ride any of the classic off-piste lines at the Skyway on the Italian side, as I think it could be pretty decent after the recent storm. As well as recommendations for any guides around Aosta where I'm currently based, although unsure if I'm willing to pay for one on my own so even better if anyone is interested in splitting one.

A bit about me - From Colorado, USA and am most familiar with riding in the Rockies. I'm an advanced snowboarder / splitboarder with avalanche 1 and mountaineering training. I received my Italian citizenship last year and decided to try the Alps out for this season and have been hopping mainly around Valle D'Aosta and just over the border in Chamonix. Planning to spend lots of winters here in the future so hoping to find some other riders to connect with in these areas, even if its not for the off-piste steeps. Parlo italiano e hablo espanol tambien. Feel free to PM for any more deets. Cheers !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome! Would love to join you - I ski in Les Contamines a lot and have been meaning to come through the tunnel to ski from the Skyway. I'm stuck in the UK at the moment but may be a future rendezvous
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just popped in to say hello! And give this a bump. Hope you find someone to ride with! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@palazz56, Were you up on the Col Serena on Wednesday ? We may have met in the car park afterwards.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@palazz56, It was good down the Italian side of the Vallee Blanche yesterday (Friday). Much more enjoyable than the French side (Petit Envers) the afternoon before. Hope it’s going well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Im in Chamonix this Friday coming, 24th for one week. I would be interested in Valley Blanche with a guide if conditions allow, Im an intermediate skier, but had some off piste training and avalanche training days last few years and getting up to speed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll be in Chamonix from the afternoon of the 22nd until the 27th (leave the 28th). Wouldn't mind a run down the Valle Blanche either from the Aiguille du Midi or Helbronner. Hoping the weather supports. Slow but safe skier (over 40 years mostly backcountry).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@palazz56,
Hello,
Saw your earlier post and wanted to reach out. I’m over from the States and based in Chamonix for the next couple weeks. Looking to ride(splitboard) some of the classics on the conservative side. Experience-wise: I’m an AMGA apprentice guide, first responder, and teach avy courses on the east coast and in Tahoe. Ive only ridden Pila on the Italian side before and would love to check out more of the area. Let me know if you’d like to line up a call or a meet up and find some good snow to shred.
Talk soon,
Max
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great to see some action here. @AndAnotherThing.., no I haven't been in that area since December, but would be keen to go back and explore. I rode Pila Weds and it was freshies all day! Are you in Valle d'Aosta too? I'm currently posted up in Torgnon.

@HammondR, good to hear, I'm eyeing again for next week after this next storm. Did you start on the Italian or French side?

@chansangster, this could work for sometime next week as I'll be back from Rome next Monday. I'll send you a PM.

@Brian in SLC, this weekend would have been great but unfortunately I have to head to Rome. Let's try again when you're back, and let us know how it goes if you do please.

@MWhite, nice to meet you and that sounds great. I'm planning for Courmayeur tomorrow to scope out conditions on that side as well. I'll send you a PM.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@palazz56, I was out for a week or so touring but back in the UK now. I bumped into another guy from the NW of the USA who's planning to settle in Aosta hence wondering if it were you. No contact details unfortunately.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@palazz56, Thursday from the Midi with mixed conditions which is very common on the French side in my experience. With longer sunnier days you have to move quickly after fresh snow before it spoils on much of the french routes. However it can then later produce nice spring snow.

Friday from Helbronner was much better. Generally holds cold snow better over there and the coffee at the top lift before departing is better than anything in France.

A few tips from my experience over there (others may differ)

Watch out for the winds. It can turn the Italian side quickly from smooth fresh snow to concrete sastrugi. One of my chums broke his shoulder on frozen car batteries down the Vierge last season.

Even after fresh snow don't bother with the Breche Puiseaux. Never found the ski down worth the effort up. And guides in front of you can result in epic delays at the breche while their clients abseil.

Generally good skiing down the Periades Glacier which holds cold snow the longest, but feels more serious due to the absence of tracks.

Immediately after fresh snow, or in spring conditions, the slopes down from the Col du Tacul area, can provide fantastic skiing. Miles more pleasurable for the effort than the Puiseaux.

If I can get off my sick bed (and the weather cooperates) I will give some feedback on the Telefre Basin in a few days.

I am Chamonix (Montroc) based and would offer to meet up to visit some old and new places but I am very old and very slow upwards. Like skiing with a grumpy grandparent.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AndAnotherThing.., oh random I very rarely meet other Americans on this side, unless I'm just over the border in Switzerland or France (maybe none in my 4ish months actually), will keep an eye out and would be great to tour together when you're back.

@HammondR, this is super informative and helpful, grazie tanto. Hope you have a nice tour at the Telefre Basin. I don't mind skiing with a grumpy grandparent, and would be happy to learn from your wealth of knowledge and experience in the area. And who knows maybe I'm not as fast uphill as you think ha. I'll PM you my number in case the opportunity or motivation arises to ride together.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@palazz56, Hi! This is Marcos from Spain. I'm a snowboarder who loves mountaineering too. I have some experience in backcountry snowboarding in Pyrenees, Alps, Caucasus, Andes and Pamirs. I have a blog where I explain the summits I climbed, but I don't want to put it here because some chats and forums delete messages with URLs, I can send the address to you through a private message if you want. It's been great to read your post, I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to find someone to come to the Alps with me these days... I'm on holiday at the moment and could be in the Aosta area until 9th April. We can climb something together, let me know if you are available now. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MarcosFernandez, nice to e-meet you. I just got back from La Grave Very Happy and am traveling a lot until late April, but let's see if we can make something happen this week. Sent you a PM.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy