Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste safety

Poster: A snowHead
eblunt wrote:
Thing that really hacks me off is being on a fairly wide, quiet piste. I tend to try and stay out of the way, and ski down one of the sides close to the piste markers. I'm still shocked at why people bombing down need to squeeze through the 50cm cap between me and the edge of the piste, whilst there is 25 metres of wide open unoccupied piste to the other side of me.

Common cause of "oh really?" moments for me. I put it down to a developed habit that faster skiers/boarders (not necessarily more skilled) have when runs are narrower to stick to theedges in order to have a clearer line. If you really want to feck someone up and you see them coming and are prepared to brace for impact you can see if by skiing right to the edge you can force them to crash into the uphill bank or over the downhill edge.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eblunt wrote:
Thing that really hacks me off is being on a fairly wide, quiet piste. I tend to try and stay out of the way, and ski down one of the sides close to the piste markers. I'm still shocked at why people bombing down need to squeeze through the 50cm cap between me and the edge of the piste, whilst there is 25 metres of wide open unoccupied piste to the other side of me.

I have mastered the side punch for occasions like this. I can hear them just behind me, and if I’m lucky and sun/piste is in the right position their shadow tells me exactly where they are…. Deploy side punch.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, well, being ready to beat up anybody who comes in striking distance is a good way to contribute to piste safety.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@eblunt, maybe they are also trying to stay out of the way Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Yeah, well, being ready to beat up anybody who comes in striking distance is a good way to contribute to piste safety.

When I’m skiing completely responsibly I’d rather push over the idiot bombing towards me out of control or trying to squeeze through a small gap when there’s wide open piste on the other side than risk sustaining a serious injury because of that persons incompetence. I see there’s no acknowledgement that they shouldn’t be skiing within arms length… nice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Extremophile, I'm tempted to do that when I have to jump out of the way of someone cycling on the pavement (happens all the time round here) but I don't.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got to say having just come back from Tignes for my last holiday of the season, pulling out without looking uphill has to be the number 1 offence. Absolute nightmare, you just can't give everyone a wide enough berth just in case.

But this year seems to be worse, probably because the way the season has gone. Appalling start to the season for the lower, smaller local hills meaning locals and especially Parisians (how do you do a Spit the Dog impression by type?) going to the higher, bigger resorts. VT was bad enough in Jan but Tignes last week was mad.

The worst one for me last week was as I came to a slow controlled stop at a lift queue on my board, a big bloke (I'm 6' and he was bigger than me) all in red (not ESF) did a hockey stop from speed next to me on his skis, clattered into my boots heelside and I'd have fallen onto him if I hadn't stuck my right hand out sharpish and grabbed his jacket as I swore.

In VT in Jan a guy on a board (riding with hands clasped behind his back!?) cut my mate up (who's very good) who had to take avoiding action, this geezer then spotted a beginner in difficulty so boarded straight in front of him inches away from his planks causing beginner to fall, then he tried it on me. Really? I have never seen this before, it's scary that there are some people out there doing this on purpose.

Oh well, a bad day in the mountains....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gixxerniknik, some pricks do play mobile slalom. My biggest swearfest last season was at a French race coach who cut 1 ft in front of me then claimed there was no skier's code and that I'd turned the "wrong" way, despite me doing utterly predictable turns. I did say to him if he was the one setting an example it was no wonder we were all f**ked.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
@Extremophile, I'm tempted to do that when I have to jump out of the way of someone cycling on the pavement (happens all the time round here) but I don't.

Well done for you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing

Being a biker I don't take kindly to people knocking me off...or over. Accidents happen but sheer idiocy is another matter. I've never actually resorted to violence on the slopes yet but it has come close I hate to admit. Shocked There are some total 4rses on the slopes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Extremophile wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Well done for you.
My reasoning is that I don't want to add being sued for damages to my annoyance. I might win, but it would be bloody inconvenient.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Well done for you.
My reasoning is that I don't want to add being sued for damages to my annoyance. I might win, but it would be bloody inconvenient.

But when you’re the downhill skier I can make any movement voluntarily or Involuntarily. As has been reiterated. And people should not be within arms length of the other person when skiing or boarding on an otherwise wide open piste. I’ve got the right to protect myself from these people, and I will.

Love the way snowheads are trying to make me out like some kind of violent offender who randomly goes round beating people up and pushing them off bikes, when in fact it is about self defence on the piste when someone is skiing/boarding dangerously close…. I’m going to defend myself from risk of serious injury something we all have the right to do. Usual snowheads response - intentionally take what is said out of context.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Extremophile,
Quote:

ntentionally take what is said out of context.

Actually no I didn't, I used what is known as an analogy. Extremodefensive, methinks. I hope your actions don't cause more problems than they solve.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@Extremophile,
Quote:

ntentionally take what is said out of context.

Actually no I didn't, I used what is known as an analogy. Extremodefensive, methinks. I hope your actions don't cause more problems than they solve.

Lol…. No analogies needed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Extremophile wrote:
I have mastered the side punch for occasions like this. I can hear them just behind me, and if I’m lucky and sun/piste is in the right position their shadow tells me exactly where they are…. Deploy side punch.

Extremophile wrote:
When I’m skiing completely responsibly I’d rather push over the idiot bombing towards me out of control or trying to squeeze through a small gap when there’s wide open piste on the other side than risk sustaining a serious injury because of that persons incompetence.

Extremophile wrote:
But when you’re the downhill skier I can make any movement voluntarily or Involuntarily.... I’ve got the right to protect myself from these people, and I will.

Extremophile wrote:
Love the way snowheads are trying to make me out like some kind of violent offender who randomly goes round beating people up and pushing them off bikes, when in fact it is about self defence on the piste when someone is skiing/boarding dangerously close…. I’m going to defend myself from risk of serious injury something we all have the right to do.

I don't think SHs needs to "make you out" as anything, as you're doing such a good job of it yourself.
The downhill skier does not have carte blanche to "make any movement..." - they're equally required by the FIS rules to avoid accidents, and if you "voluntarily" make a movement that results in an injury you may find yourself facing prison time.
You do not have any "right" to use violence. Ever.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Extremophile wrote:
When I’m skiing completely responsibly I’d rather push over the idiot bombing towards me out of control or trying to squeeze through a small gap when there’s wide open piste on the other side than risk sustaining a serious injury because of that persons incompetence.

Extremophile wrote:
But when you’re the downhill skier I can make any movement voluntarily or Involuntarily.... I’ve got the right to protect myself from these people, and I will.

Extremophile wrote:
Love the way snowheads are trying to make me out like some kind of violent offender who randomly goes round beating people up and pushing them off bikes, when in fact it is about self defence on the piste when someone is skiing/boarding dangerously close…. I’m going to defend myself from risk of serious injury something we all have the right to do.

I don't think SHs needs to "make you out" as anything, as you're doing such a good job of it yourself.
The downhill skier does not have carte blanche to "make any movement..." - they're equally required by the FIS rules to avoid accidents, and if you "voluntarily" make a movement that results in an injury you may find yourself facing prison time.
You do not have any "right" to use violence. Ever.

All them people waving their arms about on the piste, good luck proving their violent intent.

Stupid analogies that take what I said on a specific situation is taking that specific example out of context. Beating people up, pushing people off bikes… that’s violent, thrusting my arm out sideways to protect myself in a vulnerable and dangerous situation is not violent. Nice try attempting to convince yourself otherwise though.
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
thrusting my arm out sideways to protect myself in a vulnerable and dangerous situation is not violent

If I wanted people not to think that a defensive manoeuvre was violent I probably wouldn't refer to it as a 'punch'.
ski holidays
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
thrusting my arm out sideways to protect myself in a vulnerable and dangerous situation is not violent

If I wanted people not to think that a defensive manoeuvre was violent I probably wouldn't refer to it as a 'punch'.

Side punch actually. And a punch (from whatever angle) can be used as a form of self defence to sufficiently distract a person to make a safe getaway without inflicting serious injury on said person.
snow conditions
It's not just going too fast or close.

On the last BB, just at the bottom of La Longia. As I approached the pinch point where the 2 rifugios are, there was a large group of adults (wearing bibs) on a lesson. They had almost blocked the route, leaving only a 3ft gap to get past.

Just as I got to the back of them, the idiot (d*ckhead would be more accurate) in charge of them rang a bell, and they all started waving their poles in the air. If I'd been 1ft further forward, I would have got one right in the face.
They will all now probably think it's "normal" to wave poles about. rolling eyes

Common sense and safety has to start with instructors. Maybe if one or two of them got fined for stopping classes in stupid or dangerous places it might help improve safety.

If I think someone is going to try and squeeze past me at the edge of the piste too close and at speed, I'm all for leaving a pole sticking behind me out for them to ski into. If they're as good as they think they are, they will go around on the safer side:D
ski holidays
@Extremophile, you would make a wonderful partner for back country excursions. Don't think I've ever seen anybody try to dig themselves out of a hole so well Very Happy
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
@eblunt, maybe they are also trying to stay out of the way Happy

Yes of course, I see that now. The 50cms to my left is much more out of the way than the the other side of the the empty piste 30 metres away, silly me.
snow report
hang11 wrote:
@Extremophile, you would make a wonderful partner for back country excursions. Don't think I've ever seen anybody try to dig themselves out of a hole so well Very Happy

Ain’t no hole here.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:

If I think someone is going to try and squeeze past me at the edge of the piste too close and at speed, I'm all for leaving a pole sticking behind me out for them to ski into. If they're as good as they think they are, they will go around on the safer side:D

Careful. People gonna start calling you a violent offender with a penchant for impaling children.
ski holidays
To be fair I think all of us have had close calls with people insisting on skiing/boarding through the gap between us and the side of the piste. It is dangerous and unacceptable, and I will certainly and happily challenge those who do it. Especially if they come close to one of my kids or students. But it does happen quite a bit so I drill the kids to always leave an exit gap for the idiots. Another strategy is to simply ski faster than the idiots, not always possible when the piste is busy but a good strategy against those who do this on an empty piste.
ski holidays
Extremophile wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Side punch actually. And a punch (from whatever angle) can be used as a form of self defence to sufficiently distract a person to make a safe getaway without inflicting serious injury on said person.

Q. When is a punch not a punch?
A. When it's a side punch.

No, I don't get it, either.
latest report
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Q. When is a punch not a punch?
A. When it's a side punch.

No, I don't get it, either.

Up to you what you get and don’t get. And it’s a typical example of selective quoting… I don’t just go up to people punching them full force in the face, I find it hilarious that you all got that from my original quite specific answer to a very specific scenario another snow head gave, Toofy Grin love it
snow report
@Extremophile, Feel free to keep digging. The fact is that whatever the context you have said, and continue to try to justify, that in some situations you would feel justified in using violence. That is simply despicable.
ski holidays
@Extremophile, the thing is, I just don’t believe you. I don’t believe you have the spacial awareness and reaction time require to “side punch” a skiers/snowboarder approaching from behind at speed. And if you did, you aren’t paying enough attention to what’s in front of you, which you should be doing according to the skiers code. I also don't believe that you go around punching people before giving them chance to explain. What if they had to make an emergency manoeuvre to avoid a fallen skier behind? What if it was a genuine error that they are sorry for? Do you apply the same rules away from the slopes? Bumped into in a bar; punch them. Cycled too close for comfort; punch them. Pushed in front in a supermarket queue; punch them.

Say you did what you claim you do, and that person had had to make an emergency manoeuvre as above, and thy were injured as a result of your punch and there were witnesses. Good luck in court.

Have you every actually punched anyone in the manor you describe, or are you just grandstanding on an anonymous message board?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 21-03-23 11:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Extremophile, Feel free to keep digging. The fact is that whatever the context you have said, and continue to try to justify, that in some situations you would feel justified in using violence. That is simply despicable.

Lol… violence. You clearly have no idea what violence is.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@Extremophile, the thing is, I just don’t believe you. I don’t believe you have the special awareness and reaction time require to “side punch” a skiers/snowboarder approaching from behind at speed. And if you did, you aren’t paying enough attention to what’s in front of you, which you avoid be doing according to the skiers code.

I don’t really care if ‘you’ believe me. Also, love the way you are trying to tell me what I’m paying attention to, yeah. Ok, maybe you can only pay attention to one thing at a time but that doesn’t mean the rest of us are so limited.

The FIS rules are comparable to international road traffic regulations. Every skier and snowboarder should be aware of these FIS rules in order to protect yourself and others from potential dangers and to avoid accidents on ski slopes.

1. Respect for others
A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others. - someone skiing so close approaching from behind that I could reach out and touch them is not respecting this rule

2. Control of speed and skiing or snowboarding
A skier or snowboarder must move in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing or snowboarding to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic - if they are not skiing within their ability, according to the terrain, snow or weather and density of traffic (me in front of them) I’m going to protect myself.

3. Choice of route
A skier or snowboarder coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers or snowboarders ahead - approaching fast from behind the downhill skier and cutting in on the narrow side of the gap between me and the edge of the piste is not respecting this rule, I will protect myself.

4. Overtaking
A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement. - yes you got it, if they aren’t respecting my space and try to overtake through an unsafe section I’m deploying a voluntary move to protect myself .

I’m gonna protect myself. These four give me the right to do that.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 21-03-23 11:40; edited 4 times in total
latest report
@jmr59, try this one.

Q. When is a punch not a Punch?
A. When it's an elbow.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@Extremophile, the thing is, I just don’t believe you. I don’t believe you have the spacial awareness and reaction time require to “side punch” a skiers/snowboarder approaching from behind at speed. And if you did, you aren’t paying enough attention to what’s in front of you, which you should be doing according to the skiers code. I also don't believe that you go around punching people before giving them chance to explain. What if they had to make an emergency manoeuvre to avoid a fallen skier behind? What if it was a genuine error that they are sorry for? Do you apply the same rules away from the slopes? Bumped into in a bar; punch them. Cycled too close for comfort; punch them. Pushed in from in a supermarket queue; punch them.

Say you did what you claim you do, and that person had had to make an emergency manoeuvre as above, and thy were injured as a result of your punch and there were witnesses. Good luck in court.

Have you actually every punched anyone in the manor you describe, or are you just grandstanding on an anonymous message board?

Ok you edited, I’ll address these.

See stupid analogies that have completely taken the specific scenario completely out of context. No further address needed, I don’t deal in what-about-ary

As I said previous, good luck proving intent to cause harm, I could very simply have been thrown off balance and my arm flung out sideways in an attempt to regain balance, which is utterly plausible. Any manoeuvre voluntary or involuntary, I’ve got that right, maybe I just use my arms a lot, people do that. Also, good luck proving my intent to cause harm over self defence.

I have deployed the side punch, no contact has ever been made as is always my intention I only ever want to make them back off , but no one entertained that idea. Instead I’m a violent offender with a penchant for beating people up, pushing them off bikes and starting fights for the last pack of loo roll in the supermarket - drama queens.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 21-03-23 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
As soon as someone says "I have the right" I stop reading. It is an absolutist term, the use of "the" suggestive of a belief that their personal opinion trumps all else. In my experience those that say this all all about their rights and not about their responsibilities. So frankly not worth engaging with.

A subtley is when people say "I have A right", which may well be a valid point but is less entitled. But should be balanced with the commiserate responsibility. I have a right to free speech, for example, but also the responsibility to not spread hate speech. I do not have THE right to say whatever I want in any circumstances.
ski holidays
Extremophile wrote:
The FIS rules are comparable to international road traffic regulations. Every skier and snowboarder should be aware of these FIS rules in order to protect yourself and others from potential dangers and to avoid accidents on ski slopes.

1. Respect for others
A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others. - someone skiing so close approaching from behind that I could reach out and touch them is not respecting this rule

A skier or snowboarder must move in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing or snowboarding to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic - if they are not skiing within their ability, according to the terrain, snow or weather and density of traffic (me in front of them) I’m going to protect myself.

3. Choice of route
A skier or snowboarder coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers or snowboarders ahead - approaching fast from behind the downhill skier and cutting in on the narrow side of the gap between me and the edge of the piste is not respecting this rule, I will protect myself.

4. Overtaking
A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement. - yes you got it, if they aren’t respecting my space and try to overtake through an unsafe section I’m deploying a voluntary move to protect myself .

That's not my understanding: I don't think these rules give us the right to protect ourselves in that way; I think they place us under an obligation to avoid a collision, even when we are otherwise in the right. If someone comes bombing round my outside, even if I'm close to the piste edge, as I see it I am obliged to do all I can to avoid a collision, including changing direction or stopping.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
As soon as someone says "I have the right" I stop reading. It is an absolutist term, the use of "the" suggestive of a belief that their personal opinion trumps all else. In my experience those that say this all all about their rights and not about their responsibilities. So frankly not worth engaging with.

A subtley is when people say "I have A right", which may well be a valid point but is less entitled. But should be balanced with the commiserate responsibility. I have a right to free speech, for example, but also the responsibility to not spread hate speech. I do not have THE right to say whatever I want in any circumstances.

I have a right to protect myself.
snow report
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

1. Respect for others

3. Choice of route

4. Overtaking

That's not my understanding: I don't think these rules give us the right to protect ourselves in that way; I think they place us under an obligation to avoid a collision, even when we are otherwise in the right. If someone comes bombing round my outside, even if I'm close to the piste edge, as I see it I am obliged to do all I can to avoid a collision, including changing direction or stopping.

Interpretation is the key, you see one thing, I see another.
snow report
Extremophile wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Yes you do. And the responsibility to avoid causing injury to others.

You chose to say you punch people. Then claimed you don't. Which is it?
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Yes you do. And the responsibility to avoid causing injury to others.

You chose to say you punch people. Then claimed you don't. Which is it?

Did I say I punch people? I said I ‘deploy the side punch’. One can punch air. I never said I have actually punched any one, you did that.
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
Instead I’m a violent offender with a penchant for beating people up, pushing them off bikes and starting fights for the last pack of loo roll in the supermarket - drama queens.

As you say, interpretation is the key: & it’s your own words that people are interpreting.
latest report
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Instead I’m a violent offender with a penchant for beating people up, pushing them off bikes and starting fights for the last pack of loo roll in the supermarket - drama queens.

As you say, interpretation is the key: & it’s your own words that people are interpreting.

Yet they never actually asked me if I have physically punched anyone. Only Doc John did. I’ve only punched air, still a punch. they made assumptions, which is entirely different from interpretation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy