Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toll Fees - Calais to Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Those ferries are monstrously expensive. And for 15 years I had an apartment in the northern French Alps!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't have any problems with the drive down to the Alps - and I never had to do it in peak times.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Those ferries are monstrously expensive. And for 15 years I had an apartment in the northern French Alps!!

Just wondering. Madeye-Smiley

As for expense, they're not too monstrous once you cost the alternative: tunnel, fuel, tolls, overnight stop, Alpine premium vs Spanish (accom., food, beer, lift-pass, etc.).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
crosbie wrote:
pam w wrote:

Just wondering. Madeye-Smiley

As for expense, they're not too monstrous once you cost the alternative: tunnel, fuel, tolls, overnight stop, Alpine premium vs Spanish (accom., food, beer, lift-pass, etc.).

and if you are Brittany Ferries member a chunky discount off the standard fares...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is quite far off topic, but it is the thread I found my way on to via a google search and seems to have recent enough comments. I have forgotten to order the dipandgo I intended to and I am driving down overnight next week and either me or my wife will be asleep in the passenger seat. What is the better option, off toll route or are they that infrequent it won't be an issue. Got 12 hours to do it in. Going to Mottaret. Driven to Austria a few times before overnight so only the tolls are new.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Give or take it’s about 5 tolls each way. It’d still do my nut in if I was trying to sleep. Amazing how much it chills the car down opening the window for a few seconds at night. Can you not borrow one off a friend?

If you ordered one now they usually come through pretty quick. Mine’s a Fulli one and it was well under a week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My family/friends are going at same time and in only 1 of them are overnighters like us. Ill just order one now and hope it comes I guess. I will order a fulli if it was under a week. Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordered but saying 29th which is too late Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve just checked my emails. I ordered mine on a Saturday, Monday received an email late afternoon saying dispatched and it was delivered on the Thursday, so finger crossed it’ll come through in time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, not too onerous @Glosterwolf, with one section Calais to Reims, then Riems the whole way to after Dijon, then maybe one other section depending on routing that end.

In practice, can just be those two complete sections with four administration points generally.

About 180 miles to Reims from Calais, so probably a stop around there with both of you awake for fuel/ comfort break etc, there's convenient service stop south side of Reims en route to "adjust " yourselves that usually fits well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just did Cardiff-Folkestone-Calais-Aosta return

Stopped off in Dole on the way down, Troyes on the way back

Tolls were £151.79

Went through MBT
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the passenger is fast asleep, it's not a really an awful chore for the driver to walk round and wave the card at the machine [b]@Glosterwolf[/b. I have often driven it alone, and sometimes all night, and having to wake up and feel the cold air on your face and stretch your legs can be quite a good thing. ,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ordered a beep two years ago and was astonished to receive it 5 days later. (to Epsom, Surrey)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Origen wrote:
If the passenger is fast asleep, it's not a really an awful chore for the driver to walk round and wave the card at the machine [b]@Glosterwolf[/b. I have often driven it alone, and sometimes all night, and having to wake up and feel the cold air on your face and stretch your legs can be quite a good thing. ,

Totally agree but remember to put the car near the barrier as if you dont the machine wont let the barrier open when you try to pay ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DaveD, Embarassed (I have a doofer thingy now)
snow report
DaveD wrote:
Origen wrote:

Totally agree but remember to put the car near the barrier as if you dont the machine wont let the barrier open when you try to pay ...

Origen doesnt seem to have one though ...just passing on useless info ...I try and avoid ther tolls ..but then I am a single driver and do an overnight ...Toofy Grin
ski holidays
userscott wrote:
I have had a search to no avail. I'm planning a trip to the Alps tomorrow/wednesday for a few days in the Alps. I've made a few too many trips this season to the mainland so trying to keep costs down. My toll tag costs this season have been around £170 return. There is a three hour difference between taking the toll roads and the normal routes.

Does anybody have any views on a sensible balance of toll/non-tolled routes which would give the best compromise of speed and cost? I haven't been able to find a route planner which does this other than a binary toll/toll-free option.

PS! Not sure of where to head - I'm in a Berlingo camper which is 2.2m with the roof box, so toying with squeezing into Val Disere carparks or admitting defeat and camping at Venosc for L2A. Any thoughts also appreciated!

there is a French website which discusses exiting, reentering autoroutes at certain junctions which saves on the overall costs.
snow conditions
userscott

depends on how long you want to take ...I do an overnight in Metz and then have taken the toll from there down via Lyon ..11.5 HOURS €41 tolls one way from Dunkirk ...I was in L2A first week feb and if they havent had much more snow it would be would be a bit thin....plus of course cheap diesel in Lux ...it was €1.49 there at the beginning of the month
snow report
Quote:

Origen doesnt seem to have one though ....

I have done lots of night drives on the French motorways both with, and without, a doofer. Driving at night down the motorways is no problem unless it's foggy. But driving at night OFF motorways, though it would save money, would be hugely more tiring and a lot slower than that unimpeded 80 mph cruise! On a good night with a clear sky it's a pure pleasure. And the péage gates are few and far between (unlike the Torino ring road where they're every few metres).
snow conditions
Calais to 3 valleys was £91 each way using a toll tag. Which has a £5 fee, so £86 without.
ski holidays
I drove from landgraaf to disneyland last year and if the surface of toll free roads between Belgium and France is anything to go by then paying the tolls is likely to be the cheaper option in the long run. I will be doing what pam suggested and walking around if it doesn't arrive in time.
latest report
I'm led to believe that the tolls are dearer if your in a camper van , anyone know how much more? , cheers. Also my camper can pass as a van at a glance, are vans treated the same as cars, campers or inbetween , it was 38 years ago my last French road trip.
snow conditions
Gitty wrote:
I'm led to believe that the tolls are dearer if your in a camper van , anyone know how much more? , cheers. Also my camper can pass as a van at a glance, are vans treated the same as cars, campers or inbetween , it was 38 years ago my last French road trip.

A big clue is that if the ticket comes out the top slot then you're not being classed as a car. This has often happened when I've travelled in a 2.2m high 8 seater MPV/camper. However, with a telepeage windscreen thingy you won't get this clue. You have to look at your bill.

However, I recently travelled around 3,000km on French and Italian motorways, in a 2m high Land Rover Discovery with 50cm to the top of a very large roofbox. Looking at my telepeage bill, it was correctly recognised as a car throughout all tolls.

So, YMMV.
snow conditions
Quote:

if the ticket comes out the top slot then you're not being classed as a car

I never knew that! Like I didn't know for years that the piste markers are identified "port and starboard" to help guide you in a white out. Embarassed
snow conditions
Cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy