Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st week of April- which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am a 4th time skier and so not experienced in the resorts. I have been to Laplagne and Valmenier in the Feb half term. Going later this year and Sunweb offers many options in April- but unsure which ones will be good enough based on the reports. It seems there is hope for March to get some snow when I read some of the other threads. Does this mean all options listed in Sunweb are ok? Or experienced skiers here have certain spots they would avoid? Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd wait and see or go high and North facing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Artistxman, unless you need to book now wait until later in March to see if there is a dump that could open up more possibilities.

If not and you still want to go then just go high. Google "high altitude skiing resorts alps" or variations there of. Will come up with places like Tignes, Val Thoren in France, Cervinia, Zermatt elsewhere.

Presumably you are a teacher (given you ski HT) and on a budget (given you are looking at Sunweb)...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:

Presumably you are a teacher (given you ski HT) and on a budget (given you are looking at Sunweb)...

Or have school age kids. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
Layne wrote:

Or have school age kids. snowHead

They mentioned their own experience and ability but no mention of kids - so I was making an assumption (which of course may be incorrect).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just on the subject of "good enough" - that is never as simple as it sounds. A lot of resorts will still be open and have a number of pistes open. It's a question of how many pistes and what state they are in. What might be good enough for a 4th time skier will depend - how much they have progressed, how keen/fussy they are, how much terrain they want, etc..?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:
Tignes

plus 1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
I'd wait and see or go high and North facing.

+1 for this. Things could change quite a bit over the next couple of weeks (or not), so the longer you can wait the better.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hopefully Paradiski - as that's where we're going!! I've opted for the full Paradiski lift pass, so we can stay high and visit both Les Arcs and La Plagne. Peisey, in Paradiski seems to be less South facing.

We went last year at around the same time last year. The conditions in the morning were excellent. Anything below 1400 or so was terrible. By 2pm it did start to get slushy, but you could stay up higher, 2000+ and it was fine. Liked it so much we've gone back, we were La Plagne last season, but are Les Arcs this season.

We've still got school aged children (just!!)

I'm checking snow-forecast almost daily! Plus the piste map, which for Paradiski is active, so shows which pistes are open. There are a good number at the moment, but of course there's still a way to go...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can leave it late before booking, then do.

We've had some brilliant holidays into the second week in April at too low Austrian resorts or too far south Pyrennean resorts. It's not always about going high. This isn't a dig at @eps it's just coincidence (and I hope you have brilliant conditions), but the worst conditions we've had in April on a holiday were when we went to Les Arcs. Out of all the places we've been to in April, that was the place with access to the highest skiing. You can also get some good deals to some of the less fancied April destinations because everyone is going to Tignes or Val Thorens etc...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 1-03-23 23:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No worries - we can't control the weather. Smile

We booked it months ago... Just hope there is a dump just before we go - as there was last season.

Think we'll go North America next season...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
@Artistxman,

better not tell the Daily Mail that teachers can afford 3 ski holidays per year whilst striking for pay & conditions.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eps, We're in Les Arcs that week too. Seems there's going to be a few SH there that week. I'm going to spend all week wondering if I've seen any of you!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Owlette wrote:
@eps, We're in Les Arcs that week too. Seems there's going to be a few SH there that week. I'm going to spend all week wondering if I've seen any of you!

Which reminds me I need to get a SH snood and some stickers...

I'll be easy to spot - trying to catch up with a couple of teenagers who won't/don't slow down, ever!
latest report
There is simply advise no good reason to book accommodation for early April now.
latest report
Tignes again!
snow report
If you can’t get high then go to the Dolomites - we’ve been twice in April when it’s been cocktail on the terrace weather in the village, but the way they look after the snow is amazing.
ski holidays
if you're prepared to drive a couple hours longer you'll have Austrian options. Ischgl, sölden/obergurgl, stubital, the hof etc etc all hold snow well in April
latest report
if you're prepared to drive a couple hours longer you'll have Austrian options. Ischgl, sölden/obergurgl, stubital, the hof etc etc
latest report
eps wrote:
Owlette wrote:

Which reminds me I need to get a SH snood and some stickers...

I'll be easy to spot - trying to catch up with a couple of teenagers who won't/don't slow down, ever!

Sounds like me giving chase to my 11 year old!
ski holidays
Thank you all, Not a teacher but have school kids and they are too fast for me rolling eyes and will wait before booking based on your recommendations. Tignes and ValThorens/Austrian resorts is what I am hearing unless there is a lot of snow dump in the next 2 weeks.
latest report
Been booked for ages for Val Cenis for that week. Fingers crossed that the North facing, and up to 2800 will be in good shape.
latest report
@Artistxman, we are booked to Mayrhofen for that week. We booked flights to Munich on first release with Lufthansa, and accommodation through Sunweb.

Similar issue with my daughter trying to see if we can get her either an advanced group or couple of days intro to freestyle lessons at the moment.

We have down April there before and due to high skiing it suits us well, and then when you come down Penkenbhan its shorts and t-shirts on the terrace, with cold glass of something Smile
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@Artistxman, we are booked to Mayrhofen for that week. We booked flights to Munich on first release with Lufthansa, and accommodation through Sunweb.

Similar issue with my daughter trying to see if we can get her either an advanced group or couple of days intro to freestyle lessons at the moment.

We have down April there before and due to high skiing it suits us well, and then when you come down Penkenbhan its shorts and t-shirts on the terrace, with cold glass of something Smile

On weather side, recently had a nice top up, more snow forecast in a few days and general long range is looking nice and cold. 4 weeks Saturday starting to get excited Smile
snow conditions
@Artistxman, i would strongly advise against Val Thorens for that week.

but that's mainly because we are going there then, and don't want any more interlopers taking up any slope space Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

only joking of course Very Happy Very Happy

fingers crossed that there are a few dumps in the mountains everywhere between now and then!!
latest report
+1 Tignes
snow conditions
Thank you all, Good luck to the ones already prebooked as well- fingers crossed for a lot of snow in the next 2 weeks(as its turning cold here).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’d go to Val Thorens instead of Tignes.

Places like Tignes and Val Tho are very high (and quite similar), but it can be a problem: there are no trees. If the weather is bad, it can be brutal. You can’t see a thing. This happened to us a few years ago. For the entire week we could barely see the end of our own skis Eh oh! (I am sure we got incredibly unlucky but… lesson learnt).

If you are in Val Tho, you get the option to go to eg Meribel or Courchevel where there are a bunch of trees. Makes a world of difference. I think that’s why 3V is quite unique. If the weather is nice, stay in VT. But you always have options. My 2 cents!
latest report
Thank you, Based on the snow from the last 2 weeks is this a good time to book VT? or other resorts which are advertised in Sunweb? It seems when I read the forum here, low altitude places had rain and high altitude had snow(may be oversimplified interpretation).
snow report
That’s the case indeed. But there’s more snow planned this week and it might fall lower.

In any case: whether you choose VT, Tignes or any other place with high altitude pistes (> 2000 typically) you’ll be fine! Also, please keep in mind that the resort itself does not need to be super high. You can be at 1500 and be just fine! Take a lift or two and you are at > 2000 anyway. I am in Verbier at the moment and it’s the case.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy