Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste safety

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure this has been posted yet. Interesting read raising some interesting points, some from our very own Steve Angus (unless there are two)

https://planetski.eu/2023/03/07/public-demand-grows-for-people-who-ski-out-of-control-to-be-held-accountable/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do the stats back all this up? It's not that I am a bit sceptical of anecdotal evidence although if people like Mr Angus so it's so I'm more inclined to agree.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thecramps wrote:
Not sure this has been posted yet. Interesting read raising some interesting points, some from our very own Steve Angus (unless there are two)

https://planetski.eu/2023/03/07/public-demand-grows-for-people-who-ski-out-of-control-to-be-held-accountable/

Also a good point from our own Charlotte Swift (Easiski) ski instructor in Les Deux Alpes that it's not legally possible in France to remove a list pass from a dangerous skier. I remember she told me that a few years ago a French ski resort tried doing this and the out of control skier whose pass was removed (who was a lawyer) went to court and won on the basis that having sold him a lift pass they had no authority to remove it! rolling eyes Sounds like the French need to change their Laws.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of those comments, jeez.

It's helmets I tell ya, ban 'em.

And fat skis
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have to laugh in recognition at the shoulder heaver description.

There is of course a partial solution to the lift pass confiscation problem. Simply help a miscreant out with their gear and give them the gift of personal reflection by carryiing their lost skis etc to the base of the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the comments on fat skis are appropriate to some degree.

I have seen more than a few folks of intermediate ability skiing on piste in fat skis with rocker. They probably look the part on their Black Crows but would be much happier on a flexible carving ski that will be much more forgiving to their ability.

I would also ban any sort of speed measurement from ski tracking aaps. My biggest pet hate along with an infatuation of getting down runs of a particular colour instead of skiing in control and with good technique.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-03-23 21:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
Sounds like the French need to change their Laws.

Could they just adjust the conditions for sale? Sign a declaration:

'I agree that if judged by area staff to be skiing like a kn0b my pass will be cancelled and I wll have a refund for unused days.'
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NoMapNoCompass, sorry, I don’t believe that someone who skis like a d1ckhead on fat skis would suddenly become an angel on a pair of piste skis
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
@NoMapNoCompass, sorry, I don’t believe that someone who skis like a d1ckhead on fat skis would suddenly become an angel on a pair of piste skis

You’re right that changing skis won’t effect a personality transplant (& the personality/attitude is most likely why they’re on the wrong skis in the first place), but I’m pretty sure that putting a dickhead on skis they can’t control is only ever going to make things worse.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weird, I was expecting that to be automodded to something like ‘gentleman’s front bottom forehead’.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jmr59, I don’t really buy the idea that they can’t control them - they just don’t want to ski in a controlled manner
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In France in the last 7 years or so we have definitely noticed an increase of bombers with cameras passing unnecessarily closely at speed on quiet or empty pistes. We assume it's to make their videos more "exciting".
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the article a lot of unlucky people and almost no one recognising the doctrine of Protect Yo'self. This involves recognising that there are an almost infinite number of douches in any resort and taking proactive measures to ensure you're not the one that they hit from shoulder checks to ALWAYS stopping looking uphill to getting through pinch points fast.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
This involves recognising that there are an almost infinite number of douches in any resort

Not to mention the Folie Douches skiing home pished from the Folie Douce at closing time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thecramps wrote:

Yes it was me... actually the guys (well one of them) behind the Piste X code is a friend of mine - she used to live here in Val.
ski holidays
High fast upload lifts only contribute to overcrowded pistes.

I prefer to ski reds and blacks because there are usually less speedy people on them, especially after lunch.

There were definitely a lot more people skiing beyond the limit of their control a couple of weeks ago in the 3Vs.
snow report
@Steve Angus, I was sure it must be. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Last week was the first time I have skied for four years. I was at Les Deux Alpes where I have seen many times before. There were reckless skiers on the slopes. Subjectively I would say that they were no greater in percentage terms than in the past. I did not ski blacks. Many were shut - and in any case, some of the worst skiing I have seen at LDA has been on greens. Of course Charlotte Swift has vastly more experience than I on which to make a judgement. Clearly if the reckless could be caused to reform, that would be good.

A side comment: I thought that the standard of boarding had improved a lot. All seem to get on and off the lift without causing me concern if they were next to me, and with two exceptions (a father and son, I think) all I saw were boarding in a flowing manner, rather than bulldozing their way down.
snow report
I have to say I agree with @Dave of the Marmottes, about protecting yourself. I am always looking around myself trying to be as aware as possible of who is around and above me. I always give learner groups lots of space and respect too. We were all there once. Skiing or boarding with headphones in isn't sensible I think, and skiing drunk is moronic.
As for learning the rules, it is depressing to see large learner groups, especially in France (ESF in particular) parked for "instruction" across narrow parts of pistes, pinch points, etc. If the instructors aren't passing on information as basic as only stopping in the sides, what chance they are teaching any rules at all. I would start any campaigns with them, but obviously not solely, it'll take too long to filter in.
snow conditions
I don't really find the vox pop anecdotes very helpful. A campaign to limit on-snow alcohol sales seems like a good idea to me. Not as much fun as banning rap music, but likely more effective.

The US statistics are particularly easy to access: https://www.nsaa.org/NSAA/Media/Industry_Stats.aspx
The biggest killer at US resorts is probably not what most would guess.
snow report
@phil_w, ah, trees!
latest report
In Canada some places have slow skiing areas that are either designed for beginners or places that tend to be crowded (i.e. multiple runs merging close to the bottom of a lift). Of course you have to actually police them somewhat for them to be at all effective, but it does seem to help.

I'd also put in a "race" area/piste. Even put a timer there and some gates, and let people that want to ski fast go there and do it safely away from others.

I'm not against taking lift passes off people but I think it's quite a grey area how you judge someone being reckless. Sure its easy to spot the complete idiot going way too fast on a crowded slope. Good skier, potentially skiing just as fast but completely in control on an empty piste with great visibility, and it's probably fine. I'm sure many intermediates end up out of control at some point due to lack of skill or misreading conditions/terrain and I'm not sure that would deserve the same punishment.

Even when people post videos of ski crashes there's often a lot of disagreement over who was at fault.

Banning alcohol and less grooming would probably help, but I expect be incredibly unpopular.
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
@phil_w, ah, trees!

Nah heart attacks. Middle aged and above people travelling to altitude and exerting themselves.
snow report
But you can't get hit from behind by a d1ckhead on fat skis if you're skiing faster them them wink
ski holidays
without being rude about anyone ... since the crise chums in town have reported rather high numbers of people who have literally never skied before.

Now, while it's lovely to encourage new friends, it's quite clear that there is a general lack of education about how to go about it and how to do so safely ...
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
thecramps wrote:
@phil_w, ah, trees!

Nah heart attacks. Middle aged and above people travelling to altitude and exerting themselves.

The link says trees. A big difference between NA inbounds and EU on piste.

The ruling from the French is dumb, it shouldn’t be difficult to change the law or the terms of sale, which of course nobody reads so it won’t change their mind. You’re not buying a physical permit you are buying permission which is conditional on your behaviour. Bad behaviour and your permit is revoked. All passports say property of UK or something, the permit should be property of the resort. The next question is if a pisteur has authority or judgement to make the decision to revoke or at least suspend a permit.
I don’t see it as an insurmountable problem.
snow report
I think part of the problem is that modern skis make it easier to ski badly and fool oneself into thinking they're good enough. So nobody takes lessons anymore and as pointed out above, a big part of the first lessons is about etiquette.
Interestingly enough, people who never take lessons also lack basic essential skills like conversion, side-step or even sliding down terrain too steep for their ability.

The other thing is that in the last couple of decades most big resorts have invested massively in converting their pistes to big "boulevard" that are groomed daily making it easier for incompetent skiers to go fast.
Ungroomed pistes are usually much safer because they are less crowded and incompetent skiers tend to avoid them or have to slow down because they have no idea how to go down. Also, whenever there's a fresh dump the average speed tend to decrease because again most people don't actually know how to ski.

So maybe the solution is to stop grooming pistes all the time.
latest report
thecramps wrote:
I have to say I agree with @Dave of the Marmottes, about protecting yourself. I am always looking around myself trying to be as aware as possible of who is around and above me. I always give learner groups lots of space and respect too. We were all there once. Skiing or boarding with headphones in isn't sensible I think, and skiing drunk is moronic.
As for learning the rules, it is depressing to see large learner groups, especially in France (ESF in particular) parked for "instruction" across narrow parts of pistes, pinch points, etc. If the instructors aren't passing on information as basic as only stopping in the sides, what chance they are teaching any rules at all. I would start any campaigns with them, but obviously not solely, it'll take too long to filter in.

Agreed, particularly about the seeming lack of piste awareness/basic common sense.

I also wonder whether the plethora of on-line instructional content contributes to quite a lot of “newbies” believing they can learn easily and, especially in harder economic times, more cheaply. I’d also throw in the videos of “exciting” skiing by many talented and experienced skiers on phat skis who make the sport look both easy and terrific fun…I’ve no issue with that but can’t help wonder whether it encourages many copycats who absolutely do not have the awareness or skill platform.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GrosPierre, +1.
Resorts could easily have 2 or 3 groomed pistes for idiots, and leave the rest au-naturel for everyone else to enjoy.
The groomed pistes would be so full of mardy French instructors that it would suck the joy out of the tune-it and hoon-it brigade.
I go out a lot with many different people through the season of different ages and abilities, all of whom are very capable of zooming down well prepared slopes, but struggle on unprepared, choppy and uneven stuff, which is why some of them jack it it after lunch citing the old "The snow is rubbish" line.

Another easy win is to encourage people when they stop by the side of the piste, to do so looking uphill not downhill - it's really simple, and you're much less likely to ski off into the path of somebody already in motion as you will see them coming. This gets around the seemingly unteachable skill of looking uphill before setting off.

There seems to be an notion that if you want to be a better skier and have 400 quid, then spend it on new kit rather than lessons. You'll still be a bad skier - just with new boots / skis.
One interesting thing could be to take a leaf out of the music industry.
Over the last few years I have bought Guitars Fender & Yamaha, both through resellers, and each time you buy a new one, there is a voucher for a free online lesson. It's not just beginner level, they pitch the lesson at your level.
A model which could work is that manufacturers jack up the hardware price by 90-100 Euros, but you get a voucher for a 1 hour private lesson delivered by a partner ski school in resort.
Even though it's not enforceable, if I knew I had paid 90 Euros for a lesson, then I'm damn sure I'm going to have it.

Also pass confiscation :: fine as long as you have demarkation between Judge, Judy and Executioner, which doesn't seem to be how people think it should happen.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
The ruling from the French is dumb, it shouldn’t be difficult to change the law or the terms of sale, which of course nobody reads so it won’t change their mind.

Actual lol at it being easy to change the law, in France or anywhere else. Also, civil-law jurisdictions generally make it much, much harder to change matters such as this, because they usually prohibit reliance on the fiction that the terms of sale represent a contract freely entered into on the part of informed parties (and it absolutely is a fiction: as you say, no one reads them).
latest report
Not really noticed a problem, or things getting worse but I can appreciate that ski instructors in charge of a line out of a dozen kids must find it very stressful day in, day out.
ski holidays
@Orange200 wrote
Quote:

The link says trees

From what I can see, it says trees are the major factor in fatal incidents in bounds, but this explicitly excludes 'guest fatalities that are related to a pre-existing medical condition (such as heart attack or stroke)'.

I also recall reading somewhere (but can't find it), that in the US there were more fatalities from driving to ski areas that whilst skiing
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:

Also a good point from our own Charlotte Swift (Easiski) ski instructor in Les Deux Alpes that it's not legally possible in France to remove a list pass from a dangerous skier. I remember she told me that a few years ago a French ski resort tried doing this and the out of control skier whose pass was removed (who was a lawyer) went to court and won on the basis that having sold him a lift pass they had no authority to remove it! rolling eyes Sounds like the French need to change their Laws.

The lift company is delegated by the town hall to run the lifts and sell passes. The town hall can set any bye-laws it likes for the sale of passes (within the bounds of the police powers of the mayor and constitution). I would suggest there wasn't a bye-law covering how someone was skiing. Unless there is an accident this sounds difficult to judge anyway. That is probably why the lawyer won.

if there is an accident then the skier at fault would be liable as a recent test case has shown, the judges uses the FIS rules as basis for their judgement (ref: Cass. Civ 2, 25.5.2022, X 20-18.569)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 14-03-23 11:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
jmr59 wrote:
Orange200 wrote:
The ruling from the French is dumb, it shouldn’t be difficult to change the law or the terms of sale, which of course nobody reads so it won’t change their mind.

Actual lol at it being easy to change the law, in France or anywhere else. Also, civil-law jurisdictions generally make it much, much harder to change matters such as this, because they usually prohibit reliance on the fiction that the terms of sale represent a contract freely entered into on the part of informed parties (and it absolutely is a fiction: as you say, no one reads them).

Seem to remember that discussion of this type before, turned up that the pass is for use of the lift system, while passing over the land when on skis is covered by general and established right of access to the public and similar to walking there or any other method. Didn't think they could restrict that access regardless of what the lift ticket intent was.

That may be different in other country in places they rent land from farming owners to use during snow cover.

It is from recollection of discussion on here, accuracy may not be everything in recall Very Happy
latest report
In Austria I found that groups under instruction were a huge hazard.
10 adults lined up in the middle of quite a narrow steep slushy and busy section, before setting off on a follow me, learn to ski this horrid terrain session... (This appeared to be a private group session, not local ski school.)

The worst, though, was several instructors from the local school lining their beginner clients up just after the release point / top of a drag lift - and I mean literally just after - to have a chat. Another narrow area, though a bit further on was a wide open green slope. No way at all that anyone but an advanced skier or boarder could thread their way through the various groups, adults & children; even then, often the only advanced technique was an abrupt halt and a few very choice words.
The less advanced technique, for all other novice and intermediates, was to bail onto back bottom or hit someone.
Instructors clearly didn't give a fig.
And we wonder why the instructees never realised that this just might be an issue when they're on their own...
snow conditions
Back to the original post link.

It's pointless asking people if they feel skiing is more dangerous now than in their youth. The question tells us a lot about aging, nothing at all about slope safety.
Which is why the NSAA data exist and are tracked over time.
I'm sure European resorts will have the same data, and any article on slope safety ought to be based in data...
but in Europe I think you have to pay for that, where as a vox pop costs nothing.

How about an article covering a slope redesign done for safety reasons?
You could look at the collision rate on that slope before and after the redesign, and show that better design delivers significantly improved safety.
That would be journalism, and could be part of a campaign for better safety through better piste design.

I guess we'd need to pay for that with more than a quick click.
snow report
ski3 wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Seem to remember that discussion of this type before, turned up that the pass is for use of the lift system, while passing over the land when on skis is covered by general and established right of access to the public and similar to walking there or any other method. Didn't think they could restrict that access regardless of what the lift ticket intent was.

That may be different in other country in places they rent land from farming owners to use during snow cover.

It is from recollection of discussion on here, accuracy may not be everything in recall Very Happy

True that in NA it's usually the mountain that is owned. But I don't see the rights involved as material here. As long as you can take away a dangerous person's pass, it's highly unlikely they are of the group that will skin up and ski down. Thus the result is the same.

Change the law, change the by-law, change the rights and permissions - there are many ways to do it, the key thing is the objective not the method. All is needed is the will. It's usually that which is lacking. Show the local authorities that this is likely to make them more money than it will cost them, they'll find a way. I wonder how many of them fear they'll lose the crazy but lucrative teen market in current economically difficult times.

I'm shocked to hear of the Austrian instructors. I reported that from Spain in December but I thought that was just local.
snow report
Quote:

How about an article covering a slope redesign done for safety reasons?
You could look at the collision rate on that slope before and after the redesign, and show that better design delivers significantly improved safety.

You don't even need stats and serious redesign. I've seen crashes at Canadian resorts where less than an hour later they already have put up some netting to slow people and funnel them differently. It should only take a bit of common sense.

Regarding hitting trees in n America. I always thought suffocation in tree wells rather than collisions caused more deaths. I'm sure I've heard 1/5 deaths of skiers in n America are tree wells. Perhaps less snow and worse off piste this year has forced more onto groomers.
ski holidays
Nothing like an ungroomed mountain with natural moguls to sort out the dumb f***ery.

Ban the Basher !

(Yes we know the benefits of preservation to snow pack the basher gives )

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 14-03-23 14:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It's daft to say it but it is of course grooming that causes the dangerous idiots to be empowered. Unfortunately its also the whole basis of the industry for leisure skiers as well so no resorts have an interest in limiting it (besides being necessary in times of poor natural snowfall). When I was skiing recently after a heavy snowfall it was notable how few skiers on the ungroomed " piste" could actually cope and they certainly weren't getting up to dangerous speeds. Still was danger from over exhuberant groups flying through the trees of course.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy