Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva - first DIY short break - help !

Poster: A snowHead
I really need your advice guys.

Last night I booked some cheap flights from Manchester to Geneva Very Happy , flying out Wed 31st Jan @ 06:55 and flying back on Saturday 3rd Feb @ 16:00.

Anyway, although I probably won't book accomodation until much nearer the time, I'd like to get my head around my options between now and then.

I have already booked to take the family to Flaine at Easter 07 so would like to try somewhere else for this short break.

It will be just me and my better half travelling/ski-ing and our priorities for a resort in order of importance are:
1. Reasonably priced/Short/Practical transfers from Geneva for a short break.
2. Good green/blue slopes for my wife (ski'd 1 week but had a scare on a blue run, confidence a bit low)
3. Red runs for me (but green/blues for my wifes confidence building much more important)
4. Not really party animals so would rather have nice restaurants etc than streets full of nightclubs

Could really do with some specific advice from those with experience about:
1. Transfers (really, really don't want to drive - snowchains, parking etc, etc)
2. Booking accomodation - do it early ? Arrive and find somewhere ? Any other advice on accomodation.

Please give me lots of advice/tips/tricks on where to start and which resorts to consider Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-06-06 18:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. If you ski Switzerland, then transfers are easy...just jump on the relevant train snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or hire a car and get MUCH cheaper and easier to find lodging as a result.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, just seen Schedule two para one.

I'd still drive if I were you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a good site to help you out too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
iirc, only France has green slopes, Switzerland, Austria, Italy have only a blue/red/black grading.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I drive regularly to the Alps but wouldn't want to do it for such a short break - thoroughly agree. It's always a bit difficult to find accommodation for only part of a week - especially in advance. I can't think of anywhere very near Geneva in France which really fits the bill, but I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions about Switzerland, which is probably your best bet. I find the cost of bus transfers to French resorts from Geneva airport very steep. Not much cheaper than a taxi. Very good timing, by the way - the snow should be great and the French holidays don't start till the following week, so it's still low season and nearer the time you will probably be able to find a good hotel. Some chalet people with vacancies might also be prepared to do a deal including picking you up from the airport. If you want to do France, Les Gets is probably a good bet and not far from Geneva.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hairy Boy, HI - look at Les Carroz, barely an hour from Geneva and a really easy transfer. Les Carroz has it's own website with all sorts of info, but having been there I would avoid the Les Airelles hotel (great position but the smallest rooms and strangest bathrooms of any hotel I've ever been in!) but the Hotel Arbaron looks good (friends recommend) and they will do short breaks. Very good immedaite ski are and linked to the Grand Massif if you can go further afield
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the usual considerations on a short trip is getting to the resort quickly, hence a hire car is usually best, you would lose a lot of time waiting for trains/connections if you really want to go that way.

You could get a train to Chamonix, (but it would take about 3 hours from Geneva airport). From there there is a green slope at the base of Argentiere and lots of easier blue runs at Le Tour. There is an efficient skibus system that gets you around the area from Chamonix and there are plenty of good eating places for an evening. Chamonix has a good feel to the place as well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hairy Boy, would have to concur with Ray Zorro, there's a minibus firm that does transfers mucho cheaply at http://www.chamonix.net/click.php?id=1006&lang=en

Le Tour would suit you down to the ground, and the town itself is fantastic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hairy Boy, see previous posts by, er, me Embarassed but I think La Clusaz would be perfect for you. Sunny, easy blues that you can ski right back into town on, with decent slope-side eateries, quiet nightlife and one of the best Pizza restaurants on the planet (humble opinion, of course). There are some good reds for you too! If you need to start off with the Greens then the top of the Beauregard is absolutely ideal. If you don't mind a smaller village, then look at Le Chinaillon though transfers might be harder to come by.

If your budget's limited there are quite a few 2-star hotels (can recommend Les Flocons up at Le Chinaillon - clean, friendly and with an easy blue right outside). If you want to be (very) well looked after then talk to Gravite - who can do pick-ups from Geneva.

Your timing is perfect! You should (snow gods permitting as always) get great snow and quiet pistes. Don't fret about accommodation unless you want something specific - there are bound to be hotels, etc with quite late availability. But I think Gravite may get booked earlier than the average.

Would echo Madaboutsnow, Les Carroz is nice too and I can recommend the hotels Bois de la Char (easy ski from here to the main telecabine but the return is down a red, so just bring your wife down in the telecabine and be prepared to walk 300m at the end of the day) and Belle Pistes (has a very small beginners run right outside but you'll need transport to the telecabine unless you're really keen!).

marc gledhill, Cool cheers... and shortly to be improved too... wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I have already booked to take the family to Flaine at Easter 07 so would like to try somewhere else for this short break.

Les Carroz is in the same area as Flaine, so probably doesn't fit the bill!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rethink the driving idea - We find it is generally cheaper and gives you a greater choice of resorts and is relatively hassle free- especially if you are looking for quiet resorts
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Well spotted! Hairy Boy, How about St Jean D'aulpes, near Morzine? Quieter resort within an hour fifteen mins of Geneva, has it's own smaller ski area (La Grande Terche) but close enough to Morzine and Avoriaz to give more scope/snow just in case. I can recommend a couple of chalets to try if you want to send me a p.m? Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How about St Gervais? Linked to both Megeve and Les Houches. About 50 mins from GVA. I'd also seriously rethink your 'no drive' rule.
latest report
Hairy Boy,
For a short break I'd also recommend Chamonix - ticks all the boxes on your list.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Hairy Boy, from GVA you'll certainly have plenty of choice Very Happy

A nice quiet week as well since you're before the half term/vacances scolaire rush.

In terms of transfers, train works really well heading for Switzerland and they run an integrated transport system so there will be a nicely timed yellow bus to take you the last little bit from the station to your resort.

Journey planner here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Going to France, train is much less practical but the buses from Geneva airport are reliable and cheap.

http://www.altibus.com/

or numerous private transfer options here

http://www.natives.co.uk/travel/transfers.htm
snow report
Can I suggest one of the smaller resorts in the rhone valley - like that you can get a direct train from geneva airport, and only have 1 transfer to get up to the resorts from the valley floor, would take about 2 hours max - I think that you could look at a place like leysin, above Aigle in switzerland. Decently sized ski area with only chairlifts (theyre quite old though, but never any queues), full of blue and red runs, with some half decent off piste and great views of the lake. Fully south facing, but good time of year so sunnyness and snowyness should not be a problem - there is also a 5min bus link to Les Mosses where there are even more blue slopes, and finally you can get on a half-hour coach (ptt bus) over to diablerets that links up to villars.

In case it snows, there are a wide range of powder runs also available, so you really shouldn't get bored on the slopes, especially on a short trip! Not much of a night life but some decent restaurants- fromagerie for some quality swiss cheese foods, and also La Caleche and La Calabre are really good. Its a smaller much more local resort, so prices are relatively low in comparison, and as you're not going to be there for the weekend, queues should not be a problm either. Not sure what date the TTR snowboard contest is on, so you might want to see that first - it gets busier when thats on.

I would discourage going to the larger resorts such as Verbier or PDS, you won't really be able to make the most out of it, so might as well go somewhere thats a little different and that you wouldn't usually consider!

You could also check out the Chamonix area, notably Tour/Vallorcine and the Brevent/Flegere areas but some places there are a bit of a tourist trap - probably best not to pick to first restaurant you come across, but im sure theres plenty info available on good restaurants, and you pay a little for the reputation of the place, you can get cheaper. Or you could check out Les Rousses/St.Cergue in the Jura - theres a train that goes up there from Nyon, so thats only about an hour away, and i'm sure its quite cheap, easy slopes as well according to the pistemap, but never actually been skiing there.
ski holidays
Wow, you guys don't mess around Shocked great info, thanks all for taking the time for such detailed responses.

I may reconsider my 'really don't want to drive' rule as so many of you are saying 'drive, drive, drive'.

La Clusaz/Le Chinaillon appear to tick lots of our boxes - thanks J2Dave.

I need to digest and consider all your replies, thanks again and keep it coming please Very Happy
snow report
Hairy Boy, consider also Les Contamines a bit further on from St Gervais (extra 20mins or so drive time). Very nice low key resort with stunning scenery and nice mountain restaurants. Lots of blues and reds and a pretty good snow record.

There are bus transfers to lots of resorts in France which aren't too expensive. The question is whether they link up well with your flight. I am sure the timetables will be on the Geneva Airport website if you have a bit of a surf.

I have found the hotels there to be quite open to weekend stays at that time of year.
ski holidays
Hairy boy - if you choose a resort that is not miles up a mountain road - you are likely to find that most of the driving will be on clear roads... and if a hire car has winter tyres you should get away without using snow chains unless the conditions are unbelievable!
The Chamonix area - particularly Les Houches might fit the bill. If my memory serves me right it wasnt far off the motorway!? Others will correct if I am wrong.
Seemed to be a good mix of greens/blues/reds for intermediate skiing when we popped in for a day last year.
When we have done short breaks we have found that finding convenient hotels that will take bookings for less than a week - can be hard to find. Sometimes you have to book somewhere a bit further from the slopes - so the car can again be useful. Happy hunting!
ski holidays
www.altibus.com is the one for French airport - resort bus transfers. We used them outwards for Geneva-VT, nice reception at the airport, pretty good trip - although we were quite badly delayed and had to change at Moutiers. Worth checking costs though - if you're travelling by yourself it will be cheapest - more than a party of 4 then renting a car or even a taxi are cheaper.

Although I've not tried it myself, I get the impression that if you want to avoid driving from airport to resort then Switzerland is probably the best place to do it.
snow conditions
If you decide on Chamonix, Alpybus www.alpybus.com do very reasonable Geneva-Chamonix transfers. Little Angel
snow report
Hmm. I don't personally think that Le Brevent/Flegere in Chamonix would be a good area for a one week skier who lacks confidence having had a scare on a blue run. Le Tour, yes, but that's a bit limited for a better skier and with just a few days, who wants to spend it driving up and down the valley? Les Houches would be better though the only time I skied there the snow was crap so we couldn't ski down to the bottom (that was mid January - the bottom is very low in Chamonix!. During the same low season holiday we spent ridiculous amounts of time one morning queuing for lift passes, then queuing for the lift, in Le Tour. It put me off the place.

Les Contamines is a good idea, super place, reasonable lift pass costs though I find the best of the runs are red (not difficult, though, wide and well groomed). However, with the unconfident one weeker in mind, a long private lesson with a sympa instructor, first thing on first day, is probably the most important thing of all and should set her up for the rest of the trip. BASS in Morzine/Les Gets?

Courchevel 1850 has super wide green nursery slopes and a number of English speaking ski schools. But it's a bit of a hike from Geneva.
ski holidays
Hairy Boy,
I would concur with the drive group if you want to ski on your first and last day, looking at your flight times you should be able to get skiing on both these days if you drive and go somewhere relatively close to the airport. Swiss public transport is comfortable and reliable but not particularly quick.
I would echo Jayne Durhams observation that if you choose a valley floor resort problems with snow chains are considerably less likely.
Of the resorts that I have been to Les Gets and Morillon are easy to get to, on the valley floor and have plenty of easy skiing though lots of the other resorts suggested sound good as well.
ski holidays
As the French schools will not be on holiday I would go to Les Gets - about 1 hour drive from Geneva airport. The village has lots of hotels which will probably have space at that time for a couple of nights. Try their website www.lesgets.com

There are also ski transfer services that will pick you up and use a mini bus. Just put Les Gets and tranfers in google.

Lots of different runs, nice places to eat etc.
ski holidays
Hi Hairyboy

I might be able to help you out with self catered in Morzine town center or catered ski in ski out in a fantastic chalet with immediate access to blues greens and reds in Morzine. We can include a transfer with either option so you won't need to drive but if you choose to, and it'll be pretty cheep for just a few days, it really is worth checking the price for a French car rather than Swiss. Sometimes it can be almost half the price!
snow report
oopalley wrote:
... it really is worth checking the price for a French car rather than Swiss. Sometimes it can be almost half the price!

I've heard this before but I've flown into Geneva aiport shed loads of times (I used to live nearby) but never seen the 'French' exit. How do you get out on the French side and how do you speicfy that you want a French car? I guess it's be unlikely to have a Swiss motorway sticker as well??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After the number of people on our plane home last week, complianing about finding the French exit and getting lost returning the car, I wouldn't bother. I have asked for quotes for both sides of the airport, but it has never been worth the hassle. Also the Swiss cars have the motorway vignette included. It is so much easier to use the Swiss side. That's where you land for a start. For good prices try www.travelsupermarket.com
snow report
Just to add that when we have hired from the \swiss side in the Winter, most (but not all) include the cost of the winter tyres and snow chains in the rental price, you won't get these included on the French side. I have just compared rentals fom both sides with Holiday Autos for the PSB, there was about £12-£15 difference in the prices.
latest report
Re hiring from the french side of geneva airport.

We hired from there last march as the price difference was staggering so it was worth
doing, but this is not always the case

i am glad i did so i have the 'knowledge' so to speak in terms of where to go in the airport,
how to get there through geneva city centre without using the autoroute etc... but unless the
cost is hugely different I would go with the swiss side everytime for a convenience point of view

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't really want the hassle of driving in the first place, because
it is certainly a little trickier
ski holidays
Haven't been on-line for a bit - computer problems (motherboard fried itself for no apparent reason Mad ) and generally v. busy.

Anyway, at the moment La Clusaz is looking the pick of the bunch. I am now probably looking at driving after noting all your comments about how easy it is and using the Swiss side of GVA airport etc.

Thanks for all the advice - your enthusiasm for ski-ing is so contageous I want to go now, now, now.

Only 8 months to wait Sad
ski holidays
Hairy Boy, Let us know what you think. I would love to go there.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,

Quote:

www.travelsupermarket.com

Helen - good tip - thanks
ski holidays
Quote:

I am now probably looking at driving after noting all your comments about how easy it is and using the Swiss side of GVA airport etc.

The first time I drove from GVA airport I managed to miss the very easy way onto the motorway and did it the hard way through Geneva. Just follow the green FRANCE signs (motorway signs are green in Switzerland, blue everywhere else). Take the Chamonix signposting, and you will then be heading in the right direction. Pay the motorway tolls with a credit card. Don't forget to tell us how it all goes....
snow report
Morzine is about an hour and a half from Geneva and these people www.alpine-encounters.com offer a daily rate so you won't need to stay all week. Run by Brits, Maggie and her husband its centrally located so you can walk to bars etc, nice people. I've stayed here and found the rooms clean and modern. hope that helps
latest report
Madaboutsnow, i'm going to grande terche in feb , could you give some info on the resort , i know its small and comes in the pds lift pass , but can you ski to any of the other resorts from there or will it be the bus for me?
snow conditions
pam w, we have got lost in Geneva ourselves, sa they had shut the A1 entrance near the airport. We kept following the green signe, but all were shut off. Eventually had to stop and ask at a kebab shop.
snow report
Curtains,oddly enough, we are going to St Jean D'Aulpes ourselves in March! La Grand Terche is a seperate ski area by all accounts, one of the reasons we have chosen it as there are 4 young children in the group and we wanted smaller and family orientated for them, but with the opportunity for the grown-ups to go further afield if we want to - I have checked the piste map and whilst there do appear to be lifts and pistes down to other areas, there is a little note on the piste map saying that St Jean isn't linked to the PdS - "Car Necessary" in brusque gallic tones! Have a look at www.stjeandaulpes.com and check out the piste map. It may be you can go up, down and across but not actually be in the PdS
latest report
Madaboutsnow, AFAIK, as I've never made it down that far, LGT is indeed not connected into the PDS system. What I have heard is that on a powder day it can be excellent as there's no-one else there. That said, it's rather lower (I think) than the rest of the system so I don't think it gets nearly as much snow.

I may be wrong...in fact I am. The skiing goes up to 1,800m which is fine in a decent season. http://www.saintjeandaulps.com/www-titresoustitreunephoto-569-HIVER-FR.html. In fact, you are looking at similar levels to Mont Cheri in Les Gets upon which I have spent many a happy hour or 8.

The runs to and from Bellevaux look potentially interesting. No recommendations I am afraid regarding instruction but I assume there's a St J d'A ski school? Yep: www.esf-saintjeandaulps.com

St Jean d'Aulps is pretty small but for an evening out l'Amandier was very good on the one occasion I visited. Have had a few beers in Bar Nationale - who do good pizzas (takeaway too).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy