Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First World Ski Problems: Packing!

Poster: A snowHead
I clearly have too much time on my hands, and not enough to worry about so...

Mrs G and I are flying for the first time in ages, first time with skis. Skis are new this season, and I don't want them mangled up in the double ski bag. How do people get around this? I currently have one pair on flat in the base of the bag; the other linked together face to face and on edge between the first pair. I've wrapped the bindings with fabric.

Any secret methods out there? Ta.

La Thuile (snow or not) here we come...

CG
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a sportube which is hard sided so really the only way to be sure skis are properly protected from the baggage gremlins.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bubble wrap
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rubber band tied round the second pair to keep them together. Skis are tough! I wouldn’t worry about them getting damaged. If you’re going to out clothes in the back then keep those protected from the edges.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wrap in bubble wrap… more to protect any clothes that might be in the bag. In a lifetime of travelling with skis, I have never had them damaged. (Touch wood!). The ski bag? That’s something different…
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Towel or impact shorts around the tips/tails seems to work for me...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Charliegolf,
Don't forget to keep the bubble wrap on whilst you're skiing too, if you're worried about damage - much more likely to get damaged in use rather than in transit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are going to use bubble wrap make sure the skis are completely dry and unwrap them as soon as home, rust will form on the edges very quickly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
base to base with straps that go between the bases. Bases are thus protected. One pair pointing up, one down, so the bindings don't fight. For padding I use tough clothes like fleece layers and sox instead of bubble wrap. Yep, remember to dry things for the journey home.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all especially @geoffers. I've seen the edge rust thing, so will be on that one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoffers wrote:
@Charliegolf,
Don't forget to keep the bubble wrap on whilst you're skiing too, if you're worried about damage - much more likely to get damaged in use rather than in transit Toofy Grin

I went to Courmayeur on the coach from Chamonix twice last week. First day, with Flixbus, no board bag allowance, so I had my snowboard wrapped in bubble wrap. Needn't have bothered as whilst coach was busy, was mainly with normal travellers and luggage, and passed without incident.

Second day, with Arriva, didn't bother with bubble wrap and wish I had. Board ended up base down under a pile of other stuff after the first stop, getting scraped against the floor of the luggage section, and a gouge in the beautiful topsheet from something else, presumably ski bindings.

Far worse damage than even the skis that kept sliding over the back of the board in the somewhat non-existent lift queues.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 5-03-23 6:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
base to base with straps that go between the bases. Bases are thus protected. One pair pointing up, one down, so the bindings don't fight. For padding I use tough clothes like fleece layers and sox instead of bubble wrap. Yep, remember to dry things for the journey home.

Always done this, but without any padding. never a problem or damage. Skis and binding can take a huge amount of bashing especially on the mtn.
Ski bags still intact without damage too Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep. They'll get beaten up in the lift line anyway...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I often wonder why new kit always gets damaged so quickly the first time you use it, but weirdly never again afterwards. My nice Peak jacket has only one tiny hole in the cuff that was done in the first week 5 years ago - it still pains me!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The tips will eventually wear through the ski bag (unless in the ski tube). A great tip I learnt was to slide a cut down 2 litre plastic water over the ends. A single one does for the rears as I clip mine together. The skis aren't vulnerable as we know what abuse they get. It is everything else in contact with them.
snow report
I put each pair together binding to binding with a thin bit of foam to stop the binding scratching the ski, a bungee either end to keep each pair together and then put the 2 pairs in the bag base to base. I then put various bits of kit, including the poles, shovel handles, first aid kit, skins etc in the gaps between the skis. i find this a bit more efficient than each pair base to base and ensures the skis don't move around during transit. I use a douchebag - best bag I have ever had and guaranteed to get good service at check-in in North America.
snow conditions
Normally I use a double ski tube, but if they are going in the car I just put them in a double ski bag, nothing around the bindings etc. but I do use ski ties to fasten each pair together base to base. The rubber on the ties prevents the bases rubbing together. I never put the skis in the car without being in a bag and use the tube if they are going on the roof.
snow report
hawkesbaynz wrote:
The tips will eventually wear through the ski bag (unless in the ski tube). A great tip I learnt was to slide a cut down 2 litre plastic water over the ends. A single one does for the rears as I clip mine together. The skis aren't vulnerable as we know what abuse they get. It is everything else in contact with them.

Nope never had tips wear through the ski bag - still using the same ones for the past 20 years or so.

Never had any damaged gear either when packed with them - and we've probably packed more than most in there. No idea what folks do to get damaged gear from the skis, and they always have sharp edges when they travel.
snow conditions
I've got a roller bag. Only carry 1 set of skis, but take the brakes off (make sure you put the screwdriver in the bag), and push the bindings down. Place them flat in the bottom of the bag, with all the other stuff on top and between.

Plenty of room to put 2 pairs flat on the bottom.

I've got a small cut in the bottom of the bag, but no way it was caused by skis (angle is wrong), so must have been from something outside.

The only problem I have is with it's overall size. With the the weight allowance I can't pack it tight. The clothing slides down when I lift the front. sorted with a strap on the outside, which also helps with identification.
latest report
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure people overthink these things. I used to put socks over tip and tails but no longer really bother. Shove flip flops in either end as a bit of a bumper, try to jam t shirt, towel or pants you don't really care about where the edges will overlap the topsheet but above all get into a "tools not jewels" mindset.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy