Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

i have a couple questions about snowboards in general

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i just bought my first snowboard. i decided to wait until the summer to take advantage of all the big sales. i ended up getting the jeenyus broad 04-05 although the 05-06 model was selling for much cheaper (about $100 less which i thought was strange). anyways, that leads me to my first question. did i make a big mistake? should i have gotten the newer model? i don't know how fast the technology is increasing on snowboards. i just figured that since they had the same name and the specs sounded identical that i would be purchasing based on appearances, which is why i ended with the older model (petty reason, i know but it matches my bindings and my boots so much better!). next question: i spent a little more than i had budgeted hoping to that this board will last me a while. how long can i realistically expect this board to last me before it gets all messed up or grows out of date (assuming it is already not out of date)? i plan on going at least once a week. last question: my friend says that you have to file the edges down before you take a new snowboard out for a ride but i haven't read anything like that anywhere. is my friend lying to me? if not, what else do i have to do? i read that you have to wax your board after each session but even that sounds complicated with all the different types of wax out there. i don't think i can do the whole ironing thing. would any of these work?

http://www.shop-of-snowboarding.com/shopitems/waxing-kits/sprayway8oz-waxing-kits.asp

http://www.shop-of-snowboarding.com/shopitems/waxing-kits/quickwax-waxing-kits.asp

http://www.the-house.com/dk7vwxzzdakine.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is one difference actually that i found between the two:

mine is matrix quadrax (which was exclusive to jeenyus and forum boards) and the newer ones are bi-axial fiberglass. which is better?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my freind used to ride for jeenyus, and rates the boards well.

i dont think you've made a mistake esp if its your first board.

yes you should detune your edges slightly but its not that vital, i never bothered to do mine when i got it as it was fairly icy and i wanted as much edge as poss.

as to waxing, you shouldn't need to re wax your board after every ride, your shop wax should last a few weeks, some people i konw never wax their boards. Personally ours get waxed when they need it. Waxing is very very simple, takes about half an hour and the best wax to use is probably all purpose wax, unless its very very cold, then you'll need a cold wather wax,.

as to how long a board will last, my first board lasted me 6 years, its still in mint condition ( i loved that board so much) and i rent it out to chalet guests.]

]
hope that is of some help
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wow, i think you covered all of my questions. you've been more than helpful, thanks!

i live on the east coast so pretty much all we have is ice. glad i talked to you before i shaved all of my edges off. NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I dont think the technology is improving that fast...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The sales guys will tell you that the technology is changing every year. In truth I don't think boards have changed an awful lot in the last 5 or so years. I've just bought a(nother!) board thats a 2001 and the consruction is practically the same as my 06 board.
I think there have been some recent innovations in board design like Bataleon's triple base tech. and Lib Tech's Magnetraction but these new technologies are yet to become mainstream.
On du-tuning, you may want to detune the edges on the tip and tail of the board but the edges on the side should always be nice and sharp. Detuning the tip and tail makes the board feel a bit more control and you are less likely to catch an edge when going straight.
I personnaly try to wax my board after every few days of solid riding but I've gone without before for as much as 3 consecutive weeks! I think you can get away with leaving it but you really do notice the difference when it's newly waxed.
The spray on waxes don't really help much as most of the wax you've sprayed on will have rubbed off after 1 or 2 runs! I've just started waxing my own board and it's incredibly easy. All you need is a cheap travel iron and some wax and your away. Melt the wax against the iron, if it the wax smokes the iron is too hot and you might damage your base, if the wax melts with no smoke then your away. Drip it all over your base, work it in witgh the iron, let it cool, then scrape off the excess wax that has dryed on the surface. Don't be scared, give it a go!
Hope that helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the recent innovations are pretty gimicky too and make little difference to the rider. Burtons attempts at a new core material have been pretty useless. You cant beat a good bit of wood ladies wink

I find after a waxing I notice the difference but it isn't exactly crucial to my riding. It is good for the base to make sure it is well waxed after buying it but even that isn't really crucial...

De-tuning the edges is good if you want to get into rails and boxes and can help landings for jumps in freestyle but is actually bad for riding on the pistes, especially if it hasn't snowed for a while. In powder the sharpness of your edges doesn't matter. Detuning the nose and tail doesn't really make a huge difference but slightly decreases the risk of falling
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use surfing wax on my board (kangaroo poo) find it works for me in all conditions. Wax about evry 3 days of riding and ive got it down to about 20 minutes.I mostly freeride as i am getting to the cant teach an old dog stage so messing with edges has no real advantage to me although my kid alters his. I suppose a lot of your questions are answered by trial and error. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulm, Do you really use Surfboard wax?! Puzzled Do you rub it in or iron it in?
I thought the idea of surfboard wax was to stop you slipping and the idea of snowboard wax to keep you slipping!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not a surfer but that was my understanding too! Surely it's going to be counterproductive putting that on your snowboard?!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wax on a board is more slippy once you are moving cos the friction melts the surface. Wax on a surfbord is in it's solid form so this isn't really too relevant. There are different types of wax for different temperatures for snowboards, not sure how surf wax would fit into this...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry I havnt posted an answer as i have been away for 2 weeks.

As i said i use kangaroo poo to good effect for my slower, and old man-ish style of free riding.
Im usually the one holding the camera so i dont want my board running away from me.
it is just something i tried being quite a seasoned surfer but relitively new to boarding (although ive skiied for years )and it seems to work for me.
My son who travels at warp speed hardly ever waxes at all.. I have also tried langlauf wax( x - country skiing ) which tends to give you some grip if you need it when conditions are really icey.

Any way, what ever is your thing...... WAX ON...WAX OFF.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy