Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aosta resorts when snowing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how Aosta resorts (Courmayeur, La Thuile, Pila, Champoluc) work when it's snowing. Currently it shows a lot of snow by the end of this week, up to 20 cm every day. A bit less in Champoluc, up to 10cm.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Pila/12day/mid
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Champoluc/12day/mid

For those familiar with the resorts, will the lifts mostly stay open or not during such time?

Why I'm asking: I'm having a workation in Aosta valley and trying to understand when to take days off Smile If everything is going to be mostly closed because of snow I'd better just stay at home and work. But also I'm afraid for temperature getting much warmer starting from 15th of March (yesterday it was showing temps up to 6 degrees everywhere) so I want to maximize my stay before that. After 15th I'll just go to Cervinia/Zermatt all the time Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As long as it's not too windy, I reckon Pila would stay open except for the top (Couis) chairs. Courmayeur ditto except the cable cars at the top.

La Thuile should open its gondola but above that - it depends.

In Monterosa the valley lifts will be fine but above that would depend on wind. Also, going across to another valley could be risky as you might get stuck.

Overall Pila might be the best bet as it's relatively high but still has plenty of trees.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@neironet, why would they close because it's snowing? THey're not called "ski" resorts for nothing ...

Anyway. No they won't close because it's snowing.

Also, 20cms a day is not an awful lot of snow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
More chance of Cervinia shutting cause of wind , with these storms coming from the south west in my experience very likely that the rain snow level will be lower on the Italian side than the French side . You might be surprised . Where are you staying ? If in Aosta always Pila but don’t forget Crevacol
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, because snow (especially westerly driven) is often accompanied by high winds? Or poor visibility, which can shut high alpine terrain.

20cm isn't a lot, but there is obviously a cumulative effect if it continues for several days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Storms seem to be westerly to WNW. Watch the isotherm. Anything south-facing is going to get heavy on Saturday for example and much of the precipitation will fall as rain below the tree line.

There is nothing scary in the forecast in terms of partial closures. You might see the high chairs closed in Pila on the 15th for a while and, as someone said, you're going to be blown about a bit in a white-out in Cervinia up high during the storms. Courmayeur can handle this sort of weather easily and there is plenty below the tree line, there isn't a pass for the wind to howl through plus there is a gondola to make the days comfortable. Good coffee and lunch - what more do you need?

Champoluc has plenty to offer as well during storms IMO.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, I'm not sure I've ever seen "poor visibility" shut any lifts? Although, equally, I am sure it's possible?

But even consecutively, 20cms a day isn't enorrmous. Last season we had one fall that brought 80-90cms in our garden in one afternoon. That's heavyish snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, happened in La Thuile last year. Fog but no wind and negligible new snow, everything shut above gondola level until it cleared. Ditto for Courmayeur.

Similarly Madesimo shut the top lifts on four occasions last week. Weather was foggy high up but windless, with only a dusting of new snow.

As for how much constitutes a heavy fall - subjective innit Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, weird. Maybe I just hang out in more hard core places!

(I hate poor viz)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@neironet, Wind or lack of visibility may cause lifts to close, La Thuile being the most exposed to wind, and not many trees above the main gondola level. If it was me I’d take time off when it’s good vis after the forecast snow falls, or even better work once it’s dark and ski in the day Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you all for the answers!

@denfinella, you definitely sound like a local! Smile I wanted to go to Pila anyway on Wednesday, so maybe it stays a plan now even despite snow! Smile

@geoffknight, the weather forecast changes all the time, but yesterday it was showing an immediate increase in temp (up to 6 degrees) right after all the snowy days. So it looked like all the fun will be gone too quickly for me to enjoy it... Also it is showing several snowing days in a row - I hate to miss a week of skiing just because "it's snowing" Very Happy

@under a new name, @denfinella, regarding 20cm of snow not being much. We were in Val d'Isere this January, and what was showing as 9cm of snow on snow-forecast was basically snowing the whole day with very low visibility and almost impossible to ski - and lifts closing from time to time. That's why 20cm per day for me looks like a loooot. Sure, it might be different depending on the resort - we'll see!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@neironet, definitely not a local, but had 10 days visiting various Aosta Valley resorts in March last during quite foggy weather!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a distinct feeling that some resorts are having a bit of a moment with their fuel costs.

New approach

Don’t fire up the piste machine if you can avoid it
Don’t piste the interesting interconnecting runs, to save fuel
Don’t hurtle around on snowmobiles
Close the lifts for any reason we can (wind, snow, ice, lack of fresh coffee); we already have the season pass income
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy