Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time I’ve boarded in ski boots…

Poster: A snowHead
I have flown literally dozens of easyJet flights with the same bag with my boots inside. Staff at the gate in Liverpool tonight stood with the card machine ready- checked every hand luggage bag and forty quid a pop if it didn’t fit. Balls to that, especially as we’d already paid for 3 checked bags between us but my mate had a last minute emergency so only 1 got used.

Quick change and boarded in ski boots - bag fits, job done Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought you meant that you rode a snowboard in ski boots!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BoardieK wrote:

I tried that in the early days of snowboards, a double whammy of torture Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did you prepare to explain that you had two broken ankles Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I take it you never had emergency exit seats?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do it every day:

Atomic Backland Carbon, Phoenix levers. These are actually revolutionary snowboarding gear.

Uh, yeah, I also carry the boots in the cabin. They weigh half the old school boots did, so that helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A regular boarder in ski boots here too - phantom slippers. It's the future.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BoardieK wrote:

This.

But if it makes @hang11 and @Phil_W feel more normal...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richard_Sideways, give it 15 years and all the cool kids will be doing it.

I actually got mildly hassled by security in tokyo a couple of weeks ago for boots and bindings in hand luggage. I think they just wanted to give me poo-poo for being a fruit booter. Nobody likes us Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
very cool snowboard boots Very Happy

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you both @phil_w, @hang11, ride regular width boards?
I ride 36/24 with stiff boots and bindings and have wondered about trying it.

Thread well and truly hijacked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BoardieK, I've got US12 feet, so riding 265mm + boards mostly. The BSL on those boots is 318mm, not much less than my malamute soft boots. I usually ride positive, 35 ish 20 ish. No overhang issues.

But anyway, just do it Very Happy For touring/crampons they are so much better. Great in good snow, but the setup I'm riding (spark dyno bindings) isn't so good on icy/lumpy terrain - definitely sends more vibration up the legs, so I tend to use soft boots if conditions are crap.

The phantoms are $$$ but key equipment disruptives are available in Europe and cheaper. My first ones were some third hand Dynafit TLT6 which I got for $75 and got stuck into with a Dremel and some internet help on mods to make them work. They worked pretty good, but the phantom link lever (the thing on the back with a spring) which fits on quite a lot of touring boots is a game changer IMO.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dashed, fairplay, it's never come to that for me yet, but I'd definitely be engaging walk mode Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, a blast from the past:

https://www.alpinecarving.com/index.html

I still have some hardboots somewhere - Raichle SB133, I think.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are step ins no longer a thing?
snow conditions
Dashed wrote:
I have flown literally dozens of easyJet flights with the same bag with my boots inside. Staff at the gate in Liverpool tonight stood with the card machine ready- checked every hand luggage bag and forty quid a pop if it didn’t fit. Balls to that, especially as we’d already paid for 3 checked bags between us but my mate had a last minute emergency so only 1 got used.

Quick change and boarded in ski boots - bag fits, job done Laughing Laughing

Specifically not allowed by BA. On safety grounds in an emergency situation, suspect.
latest report
achilles wrote:

Specifically not allowed by BA. On safety grounds in an emergency situation, suspect.

I was surprised they let me tbh but it felt more about fleecing as many folk as possible rather than any real justification. Had I been checked at check in desk and been told my bag was oversize then fair enough, I could have done something about it.

Checking bags one you were through the gate, whilst stood with a card machine in your hand, felt a little underhand.
snow conditions
The first time I boarded in ski boots was a few decades ago, when I was learning. Cheap Nordicas. Might have been naff ski boots, but they were pretty good for boarding. Just for a laugh, I tried them on skis a year ago, but they disintegrated within a couple of hours, and I had to traipse back to the base station in boot liners to hire replacement ski boots for the rest of the day.
snow report
rs wrote:
But if it makes @hang11 and @Phil_W feel more normal...
I've never aspired to be a "normal" snowboarder, getting their asses kicked by skiers all the time

Let's see how it works out, but in BC and Iceland at least the people I've met who can actually ride are at various levels of conversion to modern boots.
The Phantom levers are a game changer. Note that you can set up the Backlands with the Phantom levers to be softer than many so called "soft" old fashioned boots.

BoardieK wrote:
Do you both @phil_w, @hang11, ride regular width boards?
I ride 36/24 with stiff boots and bindings and have wondered about trying it.
Thread well and truly hijacked Toofy Grin
I ride 40/30 at the moment, on a Hometown Hero 144. The one in my recent images is a 148 because it's the smallest rental they have here, but it works ok. That's a standard width board. I carve hardpack faster than normal folk with the precise same set up.

If you used wider boards... well the same "width rules" would apply as with old fashioned boots.
I can't comfortably ride hardpack with underhang or boot out, for obvious reasons.
ski holidays
Well if you name your thread correctly it won't get hijacked.

Some screen grabs, all from today. Phantom Link Levers (generation 2), Atomic Backlands, Hometown Hero 148. Up to 70cm of fresh today, intermittendly dumping all day.

I had to pick a frame when you could at least see more than the head...

Outrunning my own cloud...

Then you have to blow out hard...

And then the sun came out, briefly...
]
latest report
@phil_w,

That looks horrible - how did you even see where you were going? wink snowHead

To continue the thread hijack (or not), what do the springy things on the back of the boots do?
snow report
@phil_w, Nice Eh oh!

@stuarth, The levers lock the cuff of the boot and the springs give it some flex. It turns a touring ski boot into a boot that works for snowboarding. Flip the levers up and the boot goes into walk mode.

https://www.phantomsnow.com/
snow report
@stuarth, this old-school write up is probably helpful:

https://www.alpinecarving.com/boots.html
snow conditions
@altis, ....also very mindful of the fatalities in La Grave due to boarders getting into difficult zones and being unable to kick into slopes using soft boots:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117785

Obviously axes would have helped but wrangling boards and axes not a sensible option. Splitboards encouraging wilder excursions, and boots getting more aggressive and with the possibility of crampon wearing:

https://splitboard.store/product-eng-15158-Splitboard-snowboard-boots-NITRO-Incline-TLS-2023-IceTrek-Arctic-Grip-VIBRAM.html?curr=GBP&country=1143020218&selected_size=218&utm_source=iai_ads&utm_medium=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9YugBhCZARIsAACXxeJ-Bnl2Hc2HT92frRrwDW9TKa0GhIE3azpSWoOWoU1xjGvSZ264sNsaAuYeEALw_wcB

but still not the same as kicking in a ski boot or a B3 mountain boot, or ski and mountaineering boots with aggressive crampons.
ski holidays
These are the springy things. They're replacements for the rigid Atomic "ride/ walk" lever at the back of the boot. The Atomic levers are rigid, and have limited (2 position) lean adjustment. I rode them for a season like that and they were fine, but I needed a bit more lean on the back boot. I swapped in the Phantom levers, with the springs, and they deliver whatever lean you like.

When I get bored I'll try to find some video to compare turns with traditional race boots and with these, but the difference makes the feel very much better.

In that image one spring is "upright" and the other "fully forward". Those springs.... give a much more surfy feel.

I don't use walk mode... but the levers flip up the same as standard Atomic ones to give a free flexing ankle joint. I've not actually stuck my crampons on the boots, but that ought to work fine.

AlpineCarving.com... I may have some credits in there somewhere.... but I've ridden some of the boot systems described there and although those were superficially trying to do the same thing (provide controlled forward and maybe backward flex), they do not ride similarly at all. That is: the Phantom guys combined with Atomic feels vastly superior. Some of the technologies in those pages (eg completely rigid bindings) turned out to be less than ideal - racers typically use F2 bindings pretty much because they have some of the right kind of flex built in. The most modern race boots (Poly Amide, but still based on moulds which are a couple of decades old...) have springs in the back too, but they don't have the free-flexing ankle construction which I think is key... With the Atomic/Phantom, it's directly on the spring: the boot structure/ clips/ tongue don't contribute significantly to the (fore/aft) flex.

I doubt they'll be spinning tricks in the park (do they still do that?) on reverse cambered boards with these any time soon, but they have significantly upped my game. I'm hearing more and more from splitboarders who use these, and I've not found one who's not raved about them. I also use them on hardpack and they're great for carving circles.
ski holidays
They are night and day v soft boots for splitboarding - less energy used uphill and much more edge control, but I liked the way they ride enough to throw canted pucks on a couple of my solid boards and ride phantoms on those too.

They are also great for boot packing in crampons and using with verts. I’ve got verts with the spark mounts so just switch my bindings on to the verts and power up a hill with my board on my back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy