Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative travel methods to ski resort?

Poster: A snowHead
There are the four standard methods of travel to a ski resort:

1) Fly - home-to-airport, then transfer from arrival airport to resort.
2) Train - home-to-station, then one or more trains to closest station to resort, then transfer to resort.
3) Coach - home-to-coach station then arrive at resort.
4) Self-drive - drive from home to resort (possibly via ferry/tunnel).

I have done all these methods several times, however this season I tried a new one:

5) Cycle - cycle from home to resort.

In my case, I set off at 10am, cycled 110km (wintry 4-6C), and arrived in resort at 6:30pm. I had hoped to snowboard the next day, but my thighs were a tad too sore, so I had to postpone it a day.

If your home is not a ski resort, what alternative methods have you used to travel to one? Ship? Helicopter? Harrier jump jet? Walking? Chauffeured limo? Motorbike? Skateboard?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Impressive! Respect.

I'm guessing you hired kit...

It's always the cycle home that's harder though
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ja203 wrote:
I'm guessing you hired kit...
My board was already at the apartment in the resort.

ja203 wrote:
It's always the cycle home that's harder though
I know what you mean.

As it happens, fortunately/unfortunately, my bike wasn't up to the return journey, so I got my other half to come and rescue me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Watched this the other day. Balkan Express. 2 skiers cycling around the Balkans. They carry all their kit so certainly possible! Looks like an interesting adventure, but also a lot of hard work.

http://youtube.com/v/nLO8p7UWUqI

Definitely got me thinking. Would be a memorable trip, but I'd like to find somewhere to do it where the bike opened up opportunities rather than generally being a limitation compared to a car. I realise I'm being fussy as for many lowering co2 emissions through cycling is enough or the goal.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ski resorts of Thonon and Bernex in the northern French Alps actively advertise a ferry across Lake Geneva from Lausanne to get to them (followed by a shuttle bus).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember a guy used to ride a Harley with his skis strapped on to the side (90's). He had one leg longer than the other so had his skis modified with a lift plate under one binding. If I remember correctly it was Hintertux in somthing like May where I came across him.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boarder2020, I can just imagine the conversation "But sir, 1.6m skis would suit you far better. Why are you insisting on 1.2m ones?"
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have frequently toyed with the idea of riding my Triumph street triple 675cc Motorbike to the eosb.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, @tangowaggon, Do it while you can. If there's a freak cold spell and mega dump, well, everyone will have you to thank for it. wink They'll wait for you to get your bike garaged or ferried up the mountain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There have been a couple of articles in Ski Rando magazine about using sea kayaks to access ski touring in the Norwegian islands. I like the idea in principle, but I'm not sure about the practicalities of getting my ski kayaking, wild camping and ski touring kit out to Norway from the UK

Here and here
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@viv, well, do an intermediate level of wackiness first, e.g. https://www.visitabisko.com/activities/skiing/

After you've got to grips with Eurostar and onward train there, the following year you'll find the kayaking option far easier to grapple with.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok I live in a resort so not quite the same, but when the weather is sunny and I fancy a change then it's out with the road bike and cycle from here at 1,400m up to the Col du Lautaret at 2,058.

Ironically however I was just working on a plan for tomorrow to use the eMTB again to go ski-touring further afield when I saw this thread, though I'd decided to postpone it as I don't think the XC trails have many more days to go and the forecast does not look brilliant for them.

I've now used one on a number of occasions to access & scope out terrain that would just require too long an approach, that said the way the weather is looking it might be the only way to access decent terrain soon.

I've written a couple of features on ski-touring with an e-MTB, one last year and another this year about a month ago on how best to use one, as logistics play a major part in the planning & execution.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We used to ferry from South Lake Tahoe to North Shore with a short bus ride to Palisades
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went on a ski trip a few years back and we stayed in a gite near Bourg d'Oisans. There was a guy there who cycled up to Alpe d'Huez (ie the the famous Tour de France climb) every morning in his ski clothes. He had stashed his boots and skis at ADH but still, pretty mad/impressive
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arno, first couple of trips to La Grave when me and my mate were time trialling regularly we took the bikes with us as well, that was in the days when Skiers Lodge La Chaumine was in Ventillons above LG at 1,800m and we used to ride before breakfast up and down. The week culminated in my mate racing the guide up ADH (I'd done it the day before) and the guide thought he was fit, but my mate kicked his back bottom.

The competive spirit was very silly as we'd always race back up the steps to the LG lift which you probably know, think things might be a little different now, but if one of us was to start I'm sure it would kick off again Laughing
latest report
I had a friend who had part ownership of a Cessna. Our plan was to fly to the Altiport Hotel in Courchevel for a few days skiing. Unfortunately, he ended up leaving for Médecins Sans Frontières, so our cunning plan never materialised. Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy