Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bromley Ski centre admits fault in accident

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The parents of five-year-old Jennifer Hutson have welcomed the outcome of a court hearing about an injury their daughter suffered at the Bromley ski centre in Kent three years ago.

Jennifer was using a small ski lift during a lesson, when she forgot to get off. She grabbed the low-level wire that operated the lift, was pulled upwards, became stuck in the mechanism and was left dangling above the ground. She was rushed to hospital with a ' flattened' hand...

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) stated the accident happened at the centre because of a problem with one of the lift's two emergency stop devices. The second device was positioned too close to the machine's wheel to function properly.

Bromley Ski Centre had admitted liability for the accident before the case came to court. The Hutsons received an undisclosed sum in compensation. The HSE issued the centre with a number of health and safety requirements it needed to follow, which have now been met. But the HSE health and safety inspector involved in the case also stated that it would have been impossible for the centre to predict the accident happening.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/display.var.801146.0.ski_centre_admits_fault_in_accident.php
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

But the HSE health and safety inspector involved in the case also stated that it would have been impossible for the centre to predict the accident happening.

Presumably that means that there is no way of testing the efficacy of emergency stop devices, without a real accident.
That seems unfortunate, to put it mildly. Poor little girl, I wonder if she ever wanted to try ski-ing again?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, I would rig a simple test hand. We used to use test fingers to check that electrical terminals were touch safe. Skullie
THere may already be a set of (small/large/male/female) international standards for this - there is for most things like this.

I always look at rope tows and shudder.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Usually with any form of drag lift, be it rope tow, T-bar or Button there is some form of safety bar or cord in front of the top station which causes the machine to stop instantly when the cord or bar is touched, in this case it sounds like the distance between the safety switch and the mechanism was too close, but it does surprise me as normally the idea is that there should be a good meter or more between the two which should be enough to stop such incidents occuring
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy